Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04/7/2020 10:10 pm  #526

Re: Who would you want as new Manager?

MockChop wrote:

I’d say no news is good news here. Will be sorting the compensation, possibly for his assistant too.

Yeah I'd think so too, but this week has been so topsy-turvy already nothing would surprise me. Be great to get him in, excited about this appointment and not just cos it's free chips for the week 😂

04/7/2020 11:34 pm  #527

Apparently hoping to announce him within the next 24 hours, just wrangling with his current club over the compo.

04/7/2020 11:45 pm  #528

If it is Mellon (and well done Arabdownsouth if true) it's a bit of a left field appointment from the Ogrens, and one I'm intrigued by. Happier with him than most of the candidates who have been to the fore, and also relieved that we can maybe move on with the planning for the new season.

Wonder if Michael Jackson will be coming along too, and before you ask who is it, or it would be bad or dangerous to bring him in, it'll all be clear in black and white soon enough.

Now, I must remember the time, and beat it.

05/7/2020 10:32 am  #529

Wee bit underwhelmed with Mellon I have to say.  But then again maybe better to a point somebody like him rather than one of the other usual suspects.

My main concern is that he’ll come here with the attitude that the level he’s been managing at with Tranmere is better than the top league in Scotland and he’ll soon get a shock.  Hopefully he doesn’t go down the road of singing a bunch of diddies from the depths of the lower leagues in England. 

Not that there isn’t gems to find there just as there is in the lower reaches of the Scottish game.

05/7/2020 12:01 pm  #530

Finding English lower league gems were the main signings that made up the ICT team that finished 3rd and won the Cup. The Killie team under Steve Clarke and the current Motherwell team who finished 3rd last season and got to two cup finals the seasons before! Definitely a good market if you know it well.

05/7/2020 12:02 pm  #531

Got to admit I’m disappointed also and a bit concerned with this appointment if Mellon gets it. As Stafford says above this is a massive step up for the lad But hopefully one that he can rise to.

I am concerned that 4 weeks before the season starts we still don’t have a manager in place and due to Mellon staying in England relocating both himself and his back room staff won’t be straightforward under the current circumstances.

The squad needs strengthened and some others need weeded out, how long will the new guy need to run his eye over them and does he know the market up here with a view to recruiting new players? He might have a great knowledge of the lower leagues in England but those types of players are unlikely I would imagine to upsticks and move to Scotland amid a global pandemic for 50000-60000 grand a year.

05/7/2020 12:27 pm  #532

Do you think the manager hunt or the court case has held us up more regarding recruitment???
Crazy pre season......

05/7/2020 12:43 pm  #533

CCX2 2010 wrote:

Got to admit I’m disappointed also and a bit concerned with this appointment if Mellon gets it. As Stafford says above this is a massive step up for the lad But hopefully one that he can rise to.

I am concerned that 4 weeks before the season starts we still don’t have a manager in place and due to Mellon staying in England relocating both himself and his back room staff won’t be straightforward under the current circumstances.

The squad needs strengthened and some others need weeded out, how long will the new guy need to run his eye over them and does he know the market up here with a view to recruiting new players? He might have a great knowledge of the lower leagues in England but those types of players are unlikely I would imagine to upsticks and move to Scotland amid a global pandemic for 50000-60000 grand a year.

Strange that this is a common opinion, and yet a lot of folk were desperate for Tommy Wright to take the job. He hasn't done anything at a club with high expectations so really don't see how he was going to be the perfect fit. Mellon has an awful lot of good things being said about him, not read anything like that about the other candidates tbh

05/7/2020 12:50 pm  #534

AlonsMosely wrote:

Do you think the manager hunt or the court case has held us up more regarding recruitment???
Crazy pre season......

I don’t think it either will help either I have never seen a pre season like it.

Getting players and managers to relocate is not going to be easy especially if they have kids at this point in time.

There is another thread on the legal case but I wouldn’t know where to start and even reading it gave me a sore head, but tomorrow the fixtures come out and we are in the Premier league, that’s enough for me.

05/7/2020 12:57 pm  #535

Slateford - Mellon will not be shocked by the rise in standard cos there isn't one, I'd imagine your top half of tier 3 in England is at least on a par with SPFP prem bottom 6.
And 'a bunch of diddies from the depths'. I don't think so, LEK makes a good point re ICT under Butcher. And one of our best players is from the depths, could do with a few more like him.
There are shitloads of players down there & Mellon will know many of them. He's 20 years experience trawling tiers 3-6 down south.

Problem might be getting them up here on a wage cut/relocation issues as CCX2 suggests. Speaking of which Mellon has 5 kids & I think they might be all of school-age. Will he keep the family in Blackpool & spend Tuesday to Saturday here & just going back down the road Sunday/Monday?
I'm surmising there but whilst I'm at it I hope compo isn't in the way, TRFC will be wanting a good slice of what we got from Budgie & why shouldn't they?

I'm certain we'll find out if we're getting Mellon or not at the start of the week. Yeah it's taken a couple of weeks but you can see why. There are so many hurdles & it can't be easy. Keep calm & trust in Big Tony & Co, they're working their socks off.

And if we do get Mellon which is an enticing prospect, I'm certain he's the man for the job, I'll be doing a tour of the beer gardens tomorrow

05/7/2020 1:00 pm  #536

Arabdownsouth wrote:

CCX2 2010 wrote:

The squad needs strengthened and some others need weeded out, how long will the new guy need to run his eye over them and does he know the market up here with a view to recruiting new players? He might have a great knowledge of the lower leagues in England but those types of players are unlikely I would imagine to upsticks and move to Scotland amid a global pandemic for [url=tel:50000-60000]50000-60000[/url] grand a year.

Strange that this is a common opinion, and yet a lot of folk were desperate for Tommy Wright to take the job. He hasn't done anything at a club with high expectations so really don't see how he was going to be the perfect fit. Mellon has an awful lot of good things being said about him, not read anything like that about the other candidates tbh

I think that most of us expect United to be mid table and with a few additions + Tommy Wright  we would deliver that and for our first season back up that would be acceptable IMO. For some reason though either he doesn’t fancy it or Tony doesn’t fancy working with him because he is the perfect/obvious choice. He got St Johnston again in to the top 6 again last season and knows the local area and the players that we have in our squad.

I agree mate that Mellon has done a lot of good things down south but with paying compo for him and bringing up a whole new management team at this point in time is an unnecessary gamble IMO.

05/7/2020 3:09 pm  #537

People complaining that we are paying compensation are the same ones that moan about the ‘cheap option’.

05/7/2020 3:11 pm  #538

MockChop wrote:

People complaining that we are paying compensation are the same ones that moan about the ‘cheap option’.

Agreed, also if we use the money we got for Neilson to bring in the next manager its not a gamble at all.

05/7/2020 3:15 pm  #539

Some folk just can't let go of this Tommy Wright fascination. Tommy Wright does not want to manage Dundee United, I for one don't want the dour faced cunt anywhere near my team either. Just hope everyone gets behind the new man and we start to look forward 👍

05/7/2020 3:52 pm  #540

MockChop wrote:

Serial complainers mate and there are far too many of them in our support. People who focus on the negative of everything that Dundee United do. I'll never understand it.

Last edited by LarsErikKjell (05/7/2020 3:53 pm)

05/7/2020 6:01 pm  #541

LarsErikKjell wrote:

MockChop wrote:

Serial complainers mate and there are far too many of them in our support. People who focus on the negative of everything that Dundee United do. I'll never understand it.

We could bring in Klopp & some fans would complain that he has no knowledge of Scottish football. Never happy.

05/7/2020 6:12 pm  #542

Mellon to be confirmed tonight according to Robert Grieve from the S*n.

05/7/2020 6:27 pm  #543

KdyArab wrote:

Where's the report mate, can you post the link? Cheers!

05/7/2020 6:27 pm  #544

smedDUm wrote:

LarsErikKjell wrote:

MockChop wrote:

We could bring in Klopp & some fans would complain that he has no knowledge of Scottish football. Never happy.

😂

What a lot of bollocks, seriously.

05/7/2020 6:31 pm  #545

Tek wrote:

smedDUm wrote:

LarsErikKjell wrote:

😂

What a lot of bollocks, seriously.

Tbf Klopp would have fuck all knowledge of Scottish football 🤣

05/7/2020 6:41 pm  #546

Arabdownsouth wrote:

KdyArab wrote:

Was on Twitter bud. 3 year deal

https://twitter.com/robert_grieve/status/1279823139376115712?s=21

Last edited by KdyArab (05/7/2020 6:42 pm)

05/7/2020 6:46 pm  #547

KdyArab wrote:

Arabdownsouth wrote:

KdyArab wrote:

Was on Twitter bud. 3 year deal

https://twitter.com/robert_grieve/status/1279823139376115712?s=21

Cheers bud, yeah seen it already now.

Welcome to Dundee united Micky! 👍

05/7/2020 7:29 pm  #548

Scott Burns saying 2 year deal.

I'd believe him over other reporters.

I'd also be more comfortable with a 2 year deal.

05/7/2020 7:33 pm  #549

Tek wrote:

Scott Burns saying 2 year deal.

I'd believe him over other reporters.

I'd also be more comfortable with a 2 year deal.

Also saying to be confirmed tomorrow but others saying tonight. Agree with you Tek that Scott Burns is usually pretty on the ball when it comes to Utd.

05/7/2020 7:54 pm  #550

Scott Burns also saying he will work with existing coaches.

interesting.

Board footera