Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03/7/2020 4:18 pm  #501

Re: Who would you want as new Manager?

smedDUm wrote:

smedDUm wrote:

lifesanocean wrote:

I'm bored shitless with the whole thing.

Just give Mark Reynolds the fucking job and get on with signing some much-needed new players.

At the risk of me repeating my mantra you would be as well.
14 out of 16 managers can't be wrong.

However....I've just ended a virtual interview with Micky Mellon, I've been at it all day & I am convinced, get this boy in. Tony, I know you look in here, make it happen. I'll stake my life that he will be a great success for us & will end up with an EPL club. You heard it here first, I've a very strong feeling, please Tony, land him & I'll love you forever.

Sorry Smedum, I'm confused. Are you actually being genuine with this and have actually spoken with the guy? Sorry not trying to offend or anything just I have no idea what your connection is to the club and the situation.

03/7/2020 4:39 pm  #502

Arabdownsouth wrote:

smedDUm wrote:

smedDUm wrote:

However....I've just ended a virtual interview with Micky Mellon, I've been at it all day & I am convinced, get this boy in. Tony, I know you look in here, make it happen. I'll stake my life that he will be a great success for us & will end up with an EPL club. You heard it here first, I've a very strong feeling, please Tony, land him & I'll love you forever.

Sorry Smedum, I'm confused. Are you actually being genuine with this and have actually spoken with the guy? Sorry not trying to offend or anything just I have no idea what your connection is to the club and the situation.

I think he means that he did some research on him!

03/7/2020 5:11 pm  #503

LarsErikKjell wrote:

Arabdownsouth wrote:

smedDUm wrote:

I think he means that he did some research on him!

Ah right, makes sense now. With everyone actually doing virtual interviews as the norm now anyway it kind of confused me.

03/7/2020 6:01 pm  #504

Arabdownsouth wrote:

smedDUm wrote:

smedDUm wrote:

Not surprised you're confused mate, it was only a virtual interview. But it was an intensive one! I've been reading up on him for the last two days, TRFC fishal, Total Tranmere (forum), Wicki, Transfer Markt etc and I can't help but like the cut of his jib. He even looks like a Dundee United manager. He loves cup runs, he loves promotions, he's won at Wembley, he's even retained his Scottish accent despite living in England for 30 years.He has 'special one' status at TR, he speaks well, he's hard but fair, doesn't suffer fools gladly, fitness fanatic, no baggage, missed by all clubs he's left as a player & a manager, plays attacking football. Why relegated this season I hear you ask? Back-to-back promotions & over-loyal to the squad, doesn't squander money for the sake of it, won their last 3 games (all away) pre lockdown & were on a roll to get out of 3rd bottom position. Were he not to come to us he would cake Div 2 next season cos he is a winner.

If that doesn't shorten his odds I don't know what will. Arabdownsouth, fish & chips for you tonite

Last edited by smedDUm (03/7/2020 6:05 pm)

03/7/2020 6:11 pm  #505

Also got £7.50 on mellon at 20/1 so he’ll do for me 😘

03/7/2020 7:08 pm  #506

smedDUm wrote:

Arabdownsouth wrote:

smedDUm wrote:

Not surprised you're confused mate, it was only a virtual interview. But it was an intensive one! I've been reading up on him for the last two days, TRFC fishal, Total Tranmere (forum), Wicki, Transfer Markt etc and I can't help but like the cut of his jib. He even looks like a Dundee United manager. He loves cup runs, he loves promotions, he's won at Wembley, he's even retained his Scottish accent despite living in England for 30 years.He has 'special one' status at TR, he speaks well, he's hard but fair, doesn't suffer fools gladly, fitness fanatic, no baggage, missed by all clubs he's left as a player & a manager, plays attacking football. Why relegated this season I hear you ask? Back-to-back promotions & over-loyal to the squad, doesn't squander money for the sake of it, won their last 3 games (all away) pre lockdown & were on a roll to get out of 3rd bottom position. Were he not to come to us he would cake Div 2 next season cos he is a winner.

If that doesn't shorten his odds I don't know what will. Arabdownsouth, fish & chips for you tonite

Cheers Smedum, very good read that.

Doesn't look like it will be decided today but hopefully an announcement by Monday? I definitely, having read that, prefer him to Malky who hasn't done any club management for too long imo and comes with more baggage than a hen party to benidorm! Tommy Wright ( actually sick of hearing his name linked to us) isn't interested and doesn't particularly like us, mutual feelings from me.

I'll stick to the cabbage soup for now till its confirmed one way or the other, but a crafty tenner on Malky at 7's should at least afford me a cheese toastie on Monday lunchtime at the worst 😂

03/7/2020 7:15 pm  #507

I believe he met with the board at 4pm today. And it pretty much needs / needed Ogrens blessing.

03/7/2020 7:22 pm  #508

I assume the Ogrens are part of any interview via Zoom or similar and not just being guided by those here.? I trust them to make a heart and head decision based on what is best for the club going forward.

03/7/2020 7:29 pm  #509

MockChop wrote:

I believe he met with the board at 4pm today. And it pretty much needs / needed Ogrens blessing.

Potential for an announcement tomorrow all being well?

03/7/2020 10:15 pm  #510

Looks like we are going for Mellon. Not in my top3 to be honest, disappointing,  but I wish him well!

03/7/2020 10:49 pm  #511

UniDundee wrote:

Looks like we are going for Mellon. Not in my top3 to be honest, disappointing, but I wish him well!

Ditto.

Although I will get right behind him if he’s chosen I’m very disappointed that we have not went down the road of a course and distance manager, every manager is a gamble but this is one we did not need to take.

Mackay or Wright would have been a much safer pair of hands for next season and I can’t be fucked with taking gambles like we did when we were last up. We have two weeks to sort this out and the season starts in 4 weeks,the players will have been going through the motions in training whilst the club are in limbo.

Get the finger oot and get this appointment done, it should have been one week max. Look at Hearts all being in midst of the season pissing about last year and Hibs just knowing who their man was a getting it done.

One last thing if we are spreading the net far and wide as some have said in the media then we must have at least have a conversation with Tommy Wright. 

03/7/2020 11:00 pm  #512

CCX2 2010 wrote:

UniDundee wrote:

Looks like we are going for Mellon. Not in my top3 to be honest, disappointing, but I wish him well!

Ditto.

Although I will get right behind him if he’s chosen I’m very disappointed that we have not went down the road of a course and distance manager, every manager is a gamble but this is one we did not need to take.

Mackay or Wright would have been a much safer pair of hands for next season and I can’t be fucked with taking gambles like we did when we were last up. We have two weeks to sort this out and the season starts in 4 weeks,the players will have been going through the motions in training whilst the club are in limbo.

Get the finger oot and get this appointment done, it should have been one week max. Look at Hearts all being in midst of the season pissing about last year and Hibs just knowing who their man was a getting it done.

One last thing if we are spreading the net far and wide as some have said in the media then we must have at least have a conversation with Tommy Wright. 

Agree to certain extent, Mackay was a non starter in my eyes, the amount of baggage he would have came with would have been through the roof, a few bad results and I think it could have potentially turned toxic, all you had to do was look at Twitter the bad press the club was getting and some fans were absolutely fuming,  all the good work the new owners ashgar have done would have been thrown out the window

I’m completely amazed we’ve no even spoke to tommy wright, he would have been the first call I would have made if I was in ashgars position however not to be

Mellon has been a good manager in England, was very close to getting Swansea job last season, unlucky with the relegation this year, genuinely seems like a decent guy too, plus Tranmere fans are absolutely gutted to see him leaving, don’t really see that from teams that have been relegated! Has my full backing

03/7/2020 11:04 pm  #513

CCX2 2010 wrote:

UniDundee wrote:

Ditto.

Mackay hasn't done any club management for the last four years plus he has too much baggage, however you feel about it.Tommy Wright is never going to be interested in coming to United, tired of hearing his name tbh.
Mellon is being dismissed because he's not a big name up here, but Smedum has done extensive research on him and he sounds a much better candidate than he is being given credit for. Tranmere fans seem gutted he might be leaving too. I'm right behind this fella if he gets the gig 👍

03/7/2020 11:16 pm  #514

I will judge him on how he does for Utd not based on the views of Tranmere fans (no disrespect implied to them).

I say this because i remember when we appointed Mixu my neighbour who is a Killie fan saying 'youse have just appointed a right good Manager, take it from me'.

I remember St.Johnstone fans being gutted when we poached Luggy from them and Raith fans really rating Ray McKinnon etc etc.

The past isn't important only going forward is.

I have no idea what we are in for under Mellon but my gut feeling is erring on the side of positivity i think.

Having watched a lot of interviews of him in the past 24 hours he seems an honest, likeable and grounded man.

03/7/2020 11:28 pm  #515

Tek wrote:

I will judge him on how he does for Utd not based on the views of Tranmere fans (no disrespect implied to them).

I say this because i remember when we appointed Mixu my neighbour who is a Killie fan saying 'youse have just appointed a right good Manager, take it from me'.

I remember St.Johnstone fans being gutted when we poached Luggy from them and Raith fans really rating Ray McKinnon etc etc.

I have no idea what we are in for under Mellon but my gut feeling is erring on the side of positivity i think.

Having watched a lot of interviews of him in the past 24 hours he seems an honest, likeable and grounded man.

Fair assessment, just glad to finally have someone in and hopefully we now get some players in, was worried that we were gonna get left behind with 4 weeks left till first game

03/7/2020 11:39 pm  #516

SuperMario wrote:

Tek wrote:

Fair assessment, just glad to finally have someone in and hopefully we now get some players in, was worried that we were gonna get left behind with 4 weeks left till first game

It's not over the line yet but looking likely I think.

03/7/2020 11:40 pm  #517

I'm gonna offer a wee bit of support to Mixu here, and anybody who disagrees can fight me (it'll be an easy fight, but only IF you can catch me

Mixu was appointed about  at least 6 weeks too late, had to scrape signings outside the window, tried to get us to play football the 'right way' and was a take no shite type of manager.

There were a good few games at Tannadice where we murdered teams 1-0, couldn't get the killer second goal, then we'd concede and the fragility of the team shone through, most notably Accies and St Johnstone? I think.

Even though they were spent by the time they got to us, he persuaded big name players to come to United.

Possibly maybe a case of the wrong manager at the wrong time, i've no doubts if he was given Jackie's team of 2014-15 he'd have maybe achieved something. 

I hate the fact the the way Jackie left us and Thompson was so inept that it sours the memory of one of my favourite players growing up.

Still raging about the wrongly called offside at Thistle towards the end of that season as well, that could've been a massive victory.

"Don't F*cking ever offer me that again!"

03/7/2020 11:46 pm  #518

David_Blunkett wrote:

I'm gonna offer a wee bit of support to Mixu here, and anybody who disagrees can fight me (it'll be an easy fight, but only IF you can catch me

Mixu was appointed about  at least 6 weeks too late, had to scrape signings outside the window, tried to get us to play football the 'right way' and was a take no shite type of manager.

There were a good few games at Tannadice where we murdered teams 1-0, couldn't get the killer second goal, then we'd concede and the fragility of the team shone through, most notably Accies and St Johnstone? I think.

Even though they were spent by the time they got to us, he persuaded big name players to come to United.

Possibly maybe a case of the wrong manager at the wrong time, i've no doubts if he was given Jackie's team of 2014-15 he'd have maybe achieved something. 

I hate the fact the the way Jackie left us and Thompson was so inept that it sours the memory of one of my favourite players growing up.

Still raging about the wrongly called offside at Thistle towards the end of that season as well, that could've been a massive victory.

That is quite fair comment tbh Mr B.

If Mixu had been blessed with the squad McNamara inherited he may well have turned out a great Gaffer for us.

That and the fact that he only got one transfer window. Which he went for experience and it backfired as Pongolle, Demel and Kawashima were finished (assuming the latter ever had 'it').

03/7/2020 11:47 pm  #519

It was Mickey Mellon who signed Jamie Vardy for Fleetwood Town when he was ready to turn his back on football. The rest is history (EPL League winner, England Internationalist, 200 goals scored since).

So he can spot a player.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/micky-mellon-knew-id-landed-6957817

04/7/2020 8:24 am  #520

Not over the line yet obviously but the guy looks like he could really build something with us. As much as I was on board with McClaren, I couldn't see him being here any longer than 2 years no matter how well he did.

I also think that McClaren coming in meant our expectations as fans would have been extremely high. This would be justified in a lot of ways but until we make some signings we are currently very much a bottom 6 side and if the early signs with McClaren were that we were going to be anywhere near the lower end of the table then we as fans wouldn't have a lot of patience.

I'm not saying we accept bottom 6 with Mellon, but I think we wont be surprised if we arent firing on all cylinders from minute 1 of the season as he puts his stamp on the team. He does, however seem like the type of guy who can do a bit of everything. He looks like a motivator. He seems to understand his players and be able to build a real team spirit (which we already have so he just needs to keep going) whilst at the same time being someone who really understands the game and isn't scared to try new things.

Not the blockbuster appointment of McClaren or Mackay (in some ways) but definitely someone I'm excited to have at our club.

I'm also intrigued as to who will be his assistants... will he go for what he knows or bring in someone who knows the club?

04/7/2020 9:09 am  #521

Magic Micky just shortened from 4/7 to 1/5 with Wm Hill.
And shortened from 1/5 to 1/8 with SkyBet.
A slight word of caution tho, Stevie Boy was 1/10 at the start of this week. - 'Next Manager' books are volatile in the extreme.
Well done Arabdownsouth for his 20/1 lay. Chippy teas for the whole of next week

04/7/2020 9:55 am  #522

smedDUm wrote:

Magic Micky just shortened from 4/7 to 1/5 with Wm Hill.
And shortened from 1/5 to 1/8 with SkyBet.
A slight word of caution tho, Stevie Boy was 1/10 at the start of this week. - 'Next Manager' books are volatile in the extreme.
Well done Arabdownsouth for his 20/1 lay. Chippy teas for the whole of next week

Hahaha cheers SmedDUm, I'm literally the world's worst gambler too. By that I don't mean I'm a heavy gambler, quite the opposite tbh. But I rarely ever get it right when I do so I'll be very pleased with myself if this actually comes up. And as I said, after reading your post yesterday I'm convinced this fella is the business. He also has no links to Hearts which is an added bonus, he's not a dour pussed old bastard like Tommy Wright and travels light not weighed down by baggage like the other MM. Don't see anything not to like👍

04/7/2020 4:43 pm  #523

04/7/2020 6:20 pm  #524

Well the chippys closed and still waiting for news, anyone in the know? 😋

04/7/2020 9:40 pm  #525

I’d say no news is good news here. Will be sorting the compensation, possibly for his assistant too.

Board footera