Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

31/10/2017 9:48 pm  #26

Re: Paul Sturrock Q+A 7.30-8.30pm TONIGHT!!!

Tek wrote:

If you could turn back the clock to 1999 is there anything you would have done differently as Utd Manager that age and experience (and hindsight) has taught you?And if so what?

Yes would have tried even harder too not sell Billy Dodds plus was very nieve at the politics in the boardroom, what i know now  in how to work the press would have been a huge asset when dodsy left we were 3rd we finished 8th as i warned them. I came with the agreement i would build a very young team which would take time too blend but that changed and i rushed into signing  several poor players and allowing myself to be compromised. I learned quick and my mistakes benefitted my management style  which blossomed in england.

31/10/2017 9:54 pm  #27

Glasgow is tangerine wrote:

Who was the finest player you played with at united and who was the best player you managed?
All the best luggy

Best player player i played with is easy David Narey he had everything top drawer. Signed Crouch technically good player great touch  and good finisher bought him foe 1 million they sold him for 12 

31/10/2017 9:57 pm  #28

motherwellarab wrote:

Good evening Paul in your playing days at united did you feel refs favoured the old firm against us and gave them blatantly cheating decisions ?

Yeah sometimes i felt refs were swayed by the supporters and that was human nature dont think it was intentional

31/10/2017 10:06 pm  #29

Morphman wrote:

Hi Paul, thanks for taking the time to be here.

A two pronged question for you:

Do you think sacking McKinnon was the right move? Additionally, i'm aware you might no have seen United's performances with regularity but as a manager yourself, if you were to be relieved of your duties being only 6 points behind the league leaders would you feel aggrieved?

Thanks!

Time is the managers curse i think it was a shade early but as i said earlier got i believe the wrong system for players he had available. Your second question i was at southend in the johnstone paint final  at wembley and in the play off position in league  and still sacked wasnt aggrieved nothing surprised me now

31/10/2017 10:11 pm  #30

motherwellarab wrote:

Who was best player you played against in Scotland and in Europe for united?

Best player played against in scotland  graeme souness a leader of men had all attributes in europe Rudi Voller they battered us at there place he was quality

31/10/2017 10:14 pm  #31

Beharder wrote:

1 which player were you most dissapointed about missing out on as utd manager.

2 Which of your 171 goals for the terrors gave you the most satisfaction

There were several but thats a question to be answered in my next book lol any goal against the scumdee

31/10/2017 11:24 pm  #32

Sorry i missed this session. The question I would have asked:-

" do you think wee Jim's style of play/tactics would still work today and do you think you would have had such a successful career if you received the scant service that forwards receive nowadays with all the go nowhere passing that teams (Including United) play."  

Bring back the (real) "United Way" not the kiddy-on Martin version

01/11/2017 12:05 am  #33

shedboy wrote:

Many questions but it was very delayed.  Maybe do a questions up front and chat session instead?  Hats off he is my hero but you sit there think i asked a question an hour ago and one answer in 20 mins so i better pipe down.

Great idea and stuff but dont think it worked well tonight.  Sorry Tek.

It worked very well, given the situation and time constraints.

01/11/2017 1:17 am  #34

Sorry I missed this, was out of signal range for most of the day.

A bit of a coup Tek, well done to you and GiT for organising it, a lot of good questions and straight from the hip answers.

And of course a big thank you to Paul Sturock, for answering the questions with great candour.

"Tell it like it is Luggy"

I don't know a lot, but I know what I like!

01/11/2017 1:46 pm  #35

motherwellarab wrote:

Have you ever spoke to Duncan Ferguson since he left united and do you think he regrets the way he acted under jim McLean as I think he could have been a fantastic striker if he had paid attention to Jim McLeans coaching ?

He was a fantastic striker loon. he was shit hot doon england ???? strange question ti ask like...

01/11/2017 10:48 pm  #36

Really good read, sad I missed it!

01/11/2017 11:13 pm  #37

SuperMario wrote:

Really good read, sad I missed it!

Gutted too. My hero fae a very young.

Easy to grow out of admiration for yer childhood heros but still have it for Luggy, his style of play, attack and ability to get up again or stay up after being booted all over the park. Typified by Roma cunts accusing him of being on drugs.

Dees can knock him all they like for showing up on forums dissing them but he put up with some shite fae them so carry on Luggy.

Dees are like shin pads in his world, unnecessary, plastic,underwashed, sweaty and go stale.

01/11/2017 11:43 pm  #38

Sadly never got see the team in the early 80s but I’ve seen endless videos, looked an absolute joy to watch

02/11/2017 4:54 am  #39

Tek wrote:

I read in your autobiography that Barcelona were interested in signing you after your (brilliant) performance on the left wing against them in the Nou Camp in '87.

Did this move come at all close to happening or was it just a mere rumour?

Many years later Jim told me of the interest and after that sat with Terry Venables at a game and he  confirmed that the chairman of Barca had enquired after first game and told not for sale and that terry asked jim after second game .W ho knows they could have been shouting for luggy instead of messi lol haha

02/11/2017 5:03 am  #40

annanarab wrote:

" do you think wee Jim's style of play/tactics would still work today and do you think you would have had such a successful career if you received the scant service that forwards receive nowadays with all the go nowhere passing that teams (Including United) play."  

I can assure you wee  jims style of play and systems still work i can assure you he played from goal to goal not side to sideand back like today 

02/11/2017 5:09 am  #41

SuperMario wrote:

Sadly never got see the team in the early 80s but I’ve seen endless videos, looked an absolute joy to watch

Yes theres many a nite i rummage thru the video archives glass of wine in hand and reminisce Still believe the league winning side better than the 87 team

02/11/2017 5:21 am  #42

Fair play for answering people's questions luggy.

02/11/2017 6:46 am  #43

Hi Luggy, pleasure...

If you can, could you please tell us a wee story about Jim McLean, one that shows us the side to him that we never saw.

Such a story must exist...

thanks.

02/11/2017 7:03 am  #44

Dyce_arab wrote:

motherwellarab wrote:

Have you ever spoke to Duncan Ferguson since he left united and do you think he regrets the way he acted under jim McLean as I think he could have been a fantastic striker if he had paid attention to Jim McLeans coaching ?

He was a fantastic striker loon. he was shit hot doon england ???? strange question ti ask like...

He could have been a lot better, he was never fantastic in England as u put it he had decent career but he was never fantastic

02/11/2017 9:56 am  #45

motherwellarab wrote:

Dyce_arab wrote:

motherwellarab wrote:

He could have been a lot better, he was never fantastic in England as u put it he had decent career but he was never fantastic

Try and argue that with Everton supporters mate.

02/11/2017 12:53 pm  #46

lugmeister wrote:

annanarab wrote:

I can assure you wee  jims style of play and systems still work i can assure you he played from goal to goal not side to sideand back like today 

Thanks for reply Luggy, nice to be re-assured that devotees of wee Jim's goal to goal style are still relevant in this modern non-attacking era 

02/11/2017 1:08 pm  #47

Shedtastic wrote:

motherwellarab wrote:

Dyce_arab wrote:

Try and argue that with Everton supporters mate.

Wiki says that Ferguson scored more PL goals than any other Scottish player. 
In a career blighted with injury he played 360 games (all at top level SPL, PL) and scored 98 goals. His transfer fees, in days before transfer fees became ridiculous amounted to nearly £20 million. He is revered at  Goodison. He was a tremendous talent, good on the ground as well as in the air and a natural striker. In the fantastic stakes I'd give him a good 9.9 out of 10. Oh to see his like again and what would clubs pay for a big Dunc in his prime nowadays

01/1/2019 10:31 pm  #48

lugmeister wrote:

Beharder wrote:

The 81 LC final where you stuck one in the top corner but where John Holt was ruled offside Im still angry about it. Was that the worst refereeing decision you were involved as a utd player.

Actually the linesman got it right why holty  was our furthest player up the field playing right back only holty knows lol .Probably my best goal ever when drunk at times i give holty a bell and rib him about the goal.

It was a fabulous strike that goal. I was behind the goal where it was scored so unable to see if it was offside at the time, but in those days a player was only deemed to be offside if interfering with play, which IIRC Holt was not. The goal should have stood. If the the Rangers had scored it at the other end it would have and that is the measure. Luggy is very generous about referees because we have been blatantly cheated on many an occasion. I can only think that at the time of the Q &A maybe he thought he might work in Scotland again and so better not being controversial

Board footera