Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04/2/2015 2:21 pm  #1

Thompson is emigrating

And handing over the running of the club.

Assuming his consortium bid to buy the Jets is successful.

Jim Spence just told me that on Twitter after I asked him.

04/2/2015 2:29 pm  #2

Re: Thompson is emigrating

Ken what - 

Given the shite he and his family have had to endure over the past 3 seasons since the Oldco meltdown - I dinna really blame him.

But we need to knwo how this will impact the club. Will he sell or will he be an absent director with Justine taking over the reigns?

04/2/2015 2:29 pm  #3

Looks like David Southern is the main man going forward.

ST has steered United into a position of self-sufficiency. Thankfully we don't need someone juggling the finances and staving off debtors anymore. He's done a grand job to turn it around.

Don't really blame him if he's had enough of the goldfish bowl and wants a fresh start. Good luck to him.

04/2/2015 2:35 pm  #4

Just probed him a Wee bit further and it sounds like he won't be selling up, but he also said that he doesn't expect Justine Thompson to be appointed Chairwoman.

Sounds like David Southern or maybe John Bennett will take over. My money's on Southern. Looks like he's been groomed for the job for months.

04/2/2015 2:36 pm  #5

Kinda surprised but thankful Spencey replied and told the truth.

Fans deserve to know what's going down.

04/2/2015 2:44 pm  #6

Trap_6 wrote:

Looks like David Southern is the main man going forward.

ST has steered United into a position of self-sufficiency. Thankfully we don't need someone juggling the finances and staving off debtors anymore. He's done a grand job to turn it around.

Don't really blame him if he's had enough of the goldfish bowl and wants a fresh start. Good luck to him.

Totally agree!!
 If ST wants oot then you canny blame him, he's got us to a point where we don't have the bank running the club anymore it's the board which can only be a good thing.

We canny really question what he has done for the club compaired to the likes of Hearts, The Rangers etc

For me it's Justine that will take over in terms of the Thompson side of things with Southern being the face of the club for media etc, remember it was her and not Stephen who Eddie wanted to take the club on but for a family tragedy meant that she couldn't do it. If she is as smart a cookie as has been protrayed then we will be fine.

04/2/2015 2:47 pm  #7

I'd be pretty content for ST to remain chairman if he emigrates.

Like I said, the club doesn't need the intensive care that he's been administering for years. We're through that period, thanks largely to him. If someone is dealing with the day to day running if the club (Southern), then ST could still take overall charge of matters from a distance.

04/2/2015 3:46 pm  #8

He can't have a controlling interest in two Fifa clubs?

Or have I got that wrong?

He would have to sell his interest, or transfer his shareholding to his sister if he wanted to buy an Australian franchise.

04/2/2015 3:52 pm  #9

Andy wrote:

He can't have a controlling interest in two Fifa clubs?

Or have I got that wrong?

He would have to sell his interest, or transfer his shareholding to his sister if he wanted to buy an Australian franchise.

Don't quote me on this but i'm sure its just teams on the same continent. This is why the boys at Man City can also be in control at New York and this is how City got Lampard back.
Therefore an Oz team is fine

04/2/2015 6:04 pm  #10

Have to say the club has acted slightly disingeniously during this whole Newcastle Jets saga,and that's putting it mildly.Remember the club statement fae the start of December that indicated that ST was over there on a DUFC 'fact-finding' mission?

Well actually here it is....
______________________________________________________________________________________
Club Statement December 10, 2014

In relation to reports that Dundee United may be interested in buying Newcastle Jets of Australia, a spokesperson for the Club said: “We have been made aware of reports circulating in Australia regarding a potential purchase of Newcastle Jets. We can confirm that our own Chairman Stephen Thompson has visited Australia recently where he met a number of clubs’ and league representatives as part of a wide-ranging fact finding mission.“

This Board’s view is that football is a global market place and as part of our aim to develop Dundee United Football Club we are continually seeking opportunities to improve on and off field. Mr Thompson’s visit to Australia provided a worthwhile insight into a league that is progressing rapidly, whose clubs are part of a growing market in world football and is home to a number of very promising young players.“

At all times the Board will act in the best interests of this Club and Australia is simply one of a number of countries that Dundee United is monitoring. Our philosophy remains focused on the identification and professional development of the best young footballing talent available.”
_____________________________________________________________________________________
*Fast forward 2 months however and the partyline the day after we sell Armstrong and GMS is*

"Finally, the Board of Dundee United Football Club has been made aware of media reports suggesting Dundee United is interested or is involved in talks to buy a football club in Australia. We can categorically state that Dundee United has no intention of purchasing any other football club."
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

If it's been known for some time that Mr Thompson wished to emigrate and buy the Jets,why have the club been so 'cloak'n'dagger' over the whole issue?The appointment of guys like David Southern and Stewart Fraser would indicate this has been in the offing for months.

Listen i don't for a minute blame Stephen Thompson.His daughter apparently lives out there now,so his desire to be near her would be reason enough to wish to move.There is also the matter of Sevco probably being back up into the Premiership next season and 4 games against them at least.The bile and hatred they have towards him would probably have him thinking 'do i need all this shite anymore?'.Much easier life out in Oz without the bigoted hatred and corruption that exists in our country.

A few questions really need answered though.

1.Are you selling your majority shareholding in Utd?
2.Are you stepping down as a Director,and if so,when?
3.Will you still call the shots at Utd in any capacity or will you (if you retain your shares) be a silent partner?
4.Do you envisage some sort of tie-up between the Jets and Dundee Utd (or any other Australian club),and if so,what kind of tie-up?

There are other questions of course but those would be the one's i would like to know asap.

04/2/2015 8:02 pm  #11

TEK, please get a job with the Tully or BBC and do what their reporters should be doing or, alternatively arrange a Q & A with ST?

04/2/2015 8:09 pm  #12

I doubt ST will be around long enough to answer any Q+A in a DUFC capacity,Bugs.

As i say,i really don't blame the guy,but total transparancey is required now that his wish to emigrate is out in the public domain.

04/2/2015 8:21 pm  #13

Hope the saga is concluded sooner rather than later and WE can get on with it.

04/2/2015 8:59 pm  #14

Been saying he is moving to OZ for ags.

honesty is what we want and what we deserve.

04/2/2015 9:58 pm  #15

Absolutely

05/2/2015 6:37 pm  #16

Wee bit more info being drip fed fae Spencey.

The day to day running of the club will,as expected,be handled by General Manager David Southern.

When i asked Spence if Southern will be appointed Chairman he replied 'No',very quickly.

Now here's my problem with the whole thing.

If ST wants to go to Australia and play Champ Manager that's fine,it's his life.Good luck to the guy.

But i am personally totally against him still calling the shots fae the other side of the World via his mobile phone or Skype.

He cannae have his cake and eat it.

You're either 100% here at the club in your heart and soul or you're not.

05/2/2015 7:28 pm  #17

TEK wrote:

Wee bit more info being drip fed fae Spencey.

The day to day running of the club will,as expected,be handled by General Manager David Southern.

When i asked Spence if Southern will be appointed Chairman he replied 'No',very quickly.

Now here's my problem with the whole thing.

If ST wants to go to Australia and play Champ Manager that's fine,it's his life.Good luck to the guy.

But i am personally totally against him still calling the shots fae the other side of the World via his mobile phone or Skype.

He cannae have his cake and eat it.

Agree 100%

05/2/2015 7:34 pm  #18

Cannae wait till summer when we sell Ciftci for ain of they hats wi the corks on them

Yeah yeah Industrial Estate

05/2/2015 8:14 pm  #19

TEK wrote:

Sir Tek
You your great self give great support to D.U.F.C from East Kilbride but you are unfortunately not at the Club 24/7 either. Until i see a downturn in our fortunes  on and off the park I'll continue to believe we will be fine. I do understand your concerns along with every other very loyal supporter on this forum, any forum, public house or Social Club for that matter but my message to all is Stay Cool 

Last edited by St Obswell (05/2/2015 8:16 pm)

Hear their shout, hear their roar
They've probably had a barrel of ale and much, much more
Hooray, hooray, hooray, yeah
Over the hill went the swords of a thousand men

05/2/2015 8:27 pm  #20

i'll be honest i'm no really caring as long as we win games, are better than Dundee and reach the odd cup final without going into massive debt..whats really to worry about?

loads mair important things going on on my life to worry about pish about someone who doesn't play,  no being here...had some nonsense asked this week fae a young blue nose in the work..'you wanting thomson oot and making flags?...was like, what the fuck are you talking about lol

the mass hysteria about nothing just fans the flames for those sad cunts up the road who've nothing to shout about bar failings at tannadice...and there's nothing for them to laugh about..its caused by ourselves half the time

05/2/2015 9:41 pm  #21

St Obswell wrote:

TEK wrote:

Sir Tek
You your great self give great support to D.U.F.C from East Kilbride but you are unfortunately not at the Club 24/7 either. )

Believe it or not mate i'm not actually on the boardroom.

05/2/2015 9:52 pm  #22

stobievulture wrote:

i'll be honest i'm no really caring as long as we win games, are better than Dundee and reach the odd cup final without going into massive debt..whats really to worry about?

loads mair important things going on on my life to worry about pish about someone who doesn't play,  no being here...had some nonsense asked this week fae a young blue nose in the work..'you wanting thomson oot and making flags?...was like, what the fuck are you talking about lol

the mass hysteria about nothing just fans the flames for those sad cunts up the road who've nothing to shout about bar failings at tannadice...and there's nothing for them to laugh about..its caused by ourselves half the time

Agree with this

Yeah yeah Industrial Estate

05/2/2015 9:54 pm  #23

stobievulture wrote:

Surely at a small club like Dundee United the small matter of who's going to be Chairman and whether the majority shareholder is going to live abroad is pretty important,in fitba terms.?

A club which prides itself on it's transparency with it's support has been anything but in this instance.

If it wasn't for Spencey on Twitter no-one would have a clue what's going on regards this Jets stuff.

It's not that important in the grand scheme of my life but as a Utd supporter i'd quite like to know what the long term futures going to be for the club.

There's a bigger thread on here about Sevco at the moment.Can't make my mind up if our fans don't see it as that big a deal or have their head in the sand.

05/2/2015 10:09 pm  #24

stobievulture wrote:

This ^^^^, partly, for me, but TEK's concerns are gnawing away in the back of my mind.

Edit to say - that was posted before I saw the previous post that I agree with even more.

Last edited by arabugsy (05/2/2015 10:12 pm)

05/2/2015 10:18 pm  #25

TEK wrote:

stobievulture wrote:

Surely at a small club like Dundee United the small matter of who's going to be Chairman and whether the majority shareholder is going to live abroad is pretty important,in fitba terms.?

A club which prides itself on it's transparency with it's support has been anything but in this instance.

If it wasn't for Spencey on Twitter no-one would have a clue what's going on regards this Jets stuff.

It's not that important in the grand scheme of my life but as a Utd supporter i'd quite like to know what the long term futures going to be for the club.

There's a bigger thread on here about Sevco at the moment.Can't make my mind up if our fans don't see it as that big a deal or have their head in the sand.

I can only speak for myself TEK but personally I'm pretty ambivalent about the whole Jets saga. The reason being that I trust Thompson 100%. I absolutely believe he'll always do what's right by the club. If we had a Romanov, a Melville or an Ahley in charge, then damn right I'd be asking serious questions. I just don't get the sense that ST would do us wrong. I've heard him speak a few times at season ticket events and the like and his passion to continue driving United forward always comes through loud and clear. I'll admit I took a while to be convinced by him but I really don't think we could ask for a better or more trustworthy man at the helm.

Stobie put it perfectly there. It's an absolute blast being an Arab right now. We've seen some top, top players on show in recent times. We're up the top end of the league. We're getting to cup finals. A wee trophy here and there is all we can ask for right now, but I'm confident that will come. It really doesn't get much better than this.

Sorry bud, that sounds a bit like I'm lecturing you on how you should be feeling! That's not what I mean at all. I can understand that people have concerns. I'm just really happy with my lot as a United supporter right now. Christ knows we've all been through much, much worse.

Board footera