Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03/2/2015 1:21 am  #1

What else could ST have done?

It's pretty clear Armstrong wanted to move. You can't really stand in the way of that. He's served United well and now he wants to move. 1.75 million is pretty good money.

It's a sore one but it could have been worse. Ciftci would have been a season ender. We've got players capable of filling Armstrong's boots.

03/2/2015 1:26 am  #2

Re: What else could ST have done?

My main disappointment is Stu settling for them when he's so much better.

03/2/2015 2:58 am  #3

Trap_6 wrote:

It's pretty clear Armstrong wanted to move. You can't really stand in the way of that. He's served United well and now he wants to move. 1.75 million is pretty good money.

It's a sore one but it could have been worse. Ciftci would have been a season ender. We've got players capable of filling Armstrong's boots.

1.Been in Scotland.
2.Turned his phone aff
3.Planned all this oot a bit better with our Manager,instead of us desperately scrambling to sign cunts in the last 2 hours of the window

Oh and btw don't think for a minute if a 2 million bid came in for Nadir he wouldnae have been sold anaw.

Mr Thompson is not his Father and imo see's Dundee Utd as an almost annoyance at times.

That's the impression i get (and always have tbh) anyway.

03/2/2015 7:21 am  #4

Both players under contract weeks before we play celtic in a cup final. ST should have stood his ground and held out for what he said in the first place instead of letting go for less.

He has fucked the fans over big time with this and the cunt deserves every bit of abuse that comes his way.

Its been mentioned that many times that he wanted to get the finances all looking good.so he could sell and fuck off.

03/2/2015 8:01 am  #5

Its no an easy situation,  the guy has made more good decisions than bad, we are in a much better position than when he took over as chairman, and has always appeared to have our best interests at heart.

Key thing for me is to talk to jackie and get an idea of if the moves didn't go through, would they both still give their all for united? You would hope so as professionals, but in today's climate things are different, and no-one outside the club has a handle on this

He has to think of the best long term options for our club. If they stayed, worst case scenario, one of them gets a bad injury and their contract runs out and they leave for free. Best case, they stay, help us win a cup and get a good league placing this season, which outweighs the transfer fees in January if we still sell Armstrong for a good (better!)) fee in the summer. It's cynical, but both of them had a glorious chance to win us a cup in may and were shite. 

Things he could have done differently

- once he stated the 2.5 million  price tag for armstrong, stick to it. if clubs are interested in our players in future, they will just laugh if we state a price tag for them

- been at tannadice no on the other side of the world talking to dingo eating, underarm bowling, criminal simpletons

- i hope muirhead was a target we had scouted and had lined up in case the armstrong price tag was met. Part of me feels it is a panic buy like when we got Jim Hamilton to replace Billy Dodds, I hope I am wrong. 

03/2/2015 8:21 am  #6

fucking seek but the one thing i hope fae this is jmac has mentioned before of out lack of bottle, lack of sheer grit to get us over the line...the two that left have no end of talent but have struck me before as posh boys who dont like the rough stuff....mind andy webster clattering GMS at tanny and he didn't want to know for 20 mins...hope to fuck dickers does the same

we move on..muirhead looks a right talent...the cup final is the one for me that i'm seek about....i've a feeling we'll be ok lads...keep the faith

03/2/2015 9:11 am  #7

Trap_6 wrote:

spot on bud

03/2/2015 9:14 am  #8

stobievulture wrote:

fucking seek but the one thing i hope fae this is jmac has mentioned before of out lack of bottle, lack of sheer grit to get us over the line...the two that left have no end of talent but have struck me before as posh boys who dont like the rough stuff....mind andy webster clattering GMS at tanny and he didn't want to know for 20 mins...hope to fuck dickers does the same

we move on..muirhead looks a right talent...the cup final is the one for me that i'm seek about....i've a feeling we'll be ok lads...keep the faith

thats the spirit stobie   we are all charlie meek but its done now and the treble is still on lol

03/2/2015 9:27 am  #9

What would have happened if they had stayed, played shite in the final ( not to hard to imagine after last year) and maybe missed a couple of good chances and then went to the minks in the summer?

MELTDOWN conspiracy theories, why the f'ck did he no' play Connolly and Telfer when he new they were goimg to the minks?

I think we have the players to step in to their shoes and dare I say looks like they have a lot more bottle than our outgoing pair of Fuds!

I always liked Armstrong and always stuck up for him when he got stick but he can go and Fuck himself now, he's really been badly advised or just lost the plot, he's so much better than that, maybe the Burnley thing about being a development player made him think if thats all I'm going to get I might as well stay in Scotland and get European football every year!

I think Jackie and ST have done pretty good in this window 3 full internationalists, the lad from Arbroath and the young boy fron Killie both full of potential, if Armstrong had went to Burnley and gms had went to the minks in this window would there have been such an outcry ?

Keep the faith, let's give the minks a F'kn right doing in the final, remember what a back 4 we have now!

UTD and remember WE ARE SOME CLUB !

Last edited by doontheroadarab (03/2/2015 9:40 am)

We don't give a damn what the others say
We'll cheer on United all the way
For we are the Terrors of Tannadice

03/2/2015 9:43 am  #10

What could ST have done?

Pretty much what TEK says.
He could've told Cesspit to phuck off.

He could've given Jackie more time to get replacements such as Scott Allan and Kenny McLean instead of only a couple of hours, given that he must've had the smallest inclination that this was gonna happen.

I think he had a lot more than the slightest inclination, because he ended up letting them go for below their combined value (Stretch at least). In fact I think he knew he was gonna sell all along.

03/2/2015 10:06 am  #11

Yeh imo he knew he was selling them on deadline day.

03/2/2015 10:19 am  #12

I would have loved to have seen McLean at Tannadice but he'd already signed for Aberdeen by the time Armstrong was sold so that was a no-goer.

You can't just switch your phone off when you don't want to do business. That's just being a total bairn! Armstrong made it clear he wanted to sign for them, they offered £1.75M plus add ons. For an uncapped player, I think it's good business.

Don't get me wrong, the boy's a talent. I used to watch him regularly for the U19s and he was a stand out. But, as others have said, there are growing questions over his heart. He's been repeatedly snuffed out in the heat of battle. It may well stop him from making it. We've got good money for him, irrespective of what ST said he wanted for him.

03/2/2015 10:47 am  #13

doontheroadarab wrote:

What would have happened if they had stayed, played shite in the final ( not to hard to imagine after last year) and maybe missed a couple of good chances and then went to the minks in the summer?

MELTDOWN conspiracy theories, why the f'ck did he no' play Connolly and Telfer when he new they were goimg to the minks?

I think we have the players to step in to their shoes and dare I say looks like they have a lot more bottle than our outgoing pair of Fuds!

I always liked Armstrong and always stuck up for him when he got stick but he can go and Fuck himself now, he's really been badly advised or just lost the plot, he's so much better than that, maybe the Burnley thing about being a development player made him think if thats all I'm going to get I might as well stay in Scotland and get European football every year!

I think Jackie and ST have done pretty good in this window 3 full internationalists, the lad from Arbroath and the young boy fron Killie both full of potential, if Armstrong had went to Burnley and gms had went to the minks in this window would there have been such an outcry ?

Keep the faith, let's give the minks a F'kn right doing in the final, remember what a back 4 we have now!

UTD and remember WE ARE SOME CLUB !

Spot on. Its done now, If GMS and Stretch had went down to England for the same money I wouldnt have been so bothered. I dont think we would have sold if the management and chairman didnt have faith in the squad to fill their shoes.

Lets keep the faith, and move forward.

03/2/2015 11:03 am  #14

Both Armstrong and Stevens  ( he not GMS any more) had a very poor start to the season, Armstrong went 14 games without scoring. Suddenly as the transfer window approaches both players start performing, coincidence? If ST had dug his heels in the chances are both players who have made it clear they want to leave would have returned to thier half hearted performance level. So we are all feeling a bit dissapointed but for me 100% the correct decision by the chairman.

03/2/2015 11:05 am  #15

As long as the manager was "happy" (as per the club statement) with the decisions then we can't really complain I guess.

I think it's a kick in the nuts for us though, we're told one month when the financial results come out that we're no longer a selling club, that players will only go for "crazy" offers.

I'm not too fussed with GMS, he's signed a pre-contract with a rival, which makes it difficult for everyone, right move all round for him to go.

I think we've been short changed with Armstrong, £1.6m is not a crazy offer IMO, espectially when we should be adding a premium to selling him to a team in our league.  IF he went down South for £2m it would have been tough to take at this stage but for the reasons Trap 6 mentioned abouve I would have reluctantly accepted it and wished him well, I find it difficult to do the same for the deal he left on tbh.

As for the chairman, who only owns a small controlling interest in the club, why the fuck is he on his holidays again?  On the most important off field day of the season?  The club statement says there is nothing going on whatsover with DUFC and NJFC, so if Thompson is over their enquiring about it he's doign so on his own dime, just like he was about 6 weeks ago.  I hope he's put in his holiday forms, it's going to be a long rest of the year for him with no leave left.

And to top it off it about 9 months time when Celtic are papped out the CL again we'll hear it's the SPFL's fault, that there is no competition for them here....

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

03/2/2015 12:10 pm  #16

From The Courier

Courier Sport understands that McNamara is totally supportive of chairman Stephen Thompson’s decision to cash-in on Mackay-Steven and Armstrong for just over £2 million.

As deadline day progressed, it is believed that the pressure from the players themselves escalated, culminating in personal pleas from both of them to their manager.

McNamara, who has also brought in Simon Murray, Paul Dixon, Henri Anier and Ryan McGowan, noted: “This window has witnessed a lot of business and I am happy with how the squad is as we look towards achieving our goals in each of three competitions we are heavily involved in.”

FUDS

We don't give a damn what the others say
We'll cheer on United all the way
For we are the Terrors of Tannadice

03/2/2015 2:28 pm  #17

Trap_6 wrote:

What he could have done was get the fee he valued him at.

03/2/2015 2:48 pm  #18

Tele today -

‘United were faced with two players who, in several phone calls to Jackie McNamara and other club officials, had made it clear they want to move and want to move now’

‘And there were real concerns over how a refusal  to do a deal would have affected the form of both players. That’s how adamant their pleas to be sold were’

Now that last bit is shocking if true, if you'll no let us go we'll no be playing

03/2/2015 2:49 pm  #19

baldyeagle wrote:

Trap_6 wrote:

What he could have done was get the fee he valued him at.

Yeah, he could have. 

But it was last minute stuff, United had been backed into a corner. The player wanted to go and was obviously very straightforward about that. So, Thompson made the best out of it. Keep him, and have a very unhappy player. Or sell him. He got £1.75M PLUS add ons. It could very well end up he gets more than his asking price.

I really don't see how he could have done much more in the circumstances.

03/2/2015 4:47 pm  #20

@Trap6 i had a few beers last night and was being tongue in cheek about turning his phone aff.

But imo Thompson and the club have came off looking weak in all this.

Not too fussed about GMS,and 250k is about acceptable for a player out of contract in 4 months.

There should have been though a cut off point whereby we announced 'we are closed for business today'.Letting them go so late in the window and scrambling to sign Allan and making derisory bids for him made us look desperate.

Think Muirhead is a bit of a panic signing to appease the fans.Albeit one that in the longterm will be good.

But perhaps not what we need right now,considering the boys we've just lost.

Anyway starting to 'get over it' and looking forward to Stranraer.

04/2/2015 12:45 pm  #21

I hear you mate, don't think United have emerged from it all in great shape.

We've lost better and more important players than those two in the past. Life goes on. Much to look forward to... 

04/2/2015 1:29 pm  #22

another thing ...we lure the best young talent to tannadice on the understanding its the best place to improve, get game time then move on...we stand in the way of players then its doing the club harm in the long run

i'm mair pissed off  at they two faggots lol...someone start a rumour that they're nobbing one another...please

04/2/2015 1:42 pm  #23

Heard they're nobbing one another! 

04/2/2015 6:31 pm  #24

baldyeagle wrote:

Heard they're nobbing one another! 

you heard that tae P?

04/2/2015 10:12 pm  #25

Allegedly lost their virginity on Monday!

Board footera