Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23/5/2024 2:06 pm  #151

Re: Summer transfer window 2024

JerryDungle wrote:

Tek wrote:

It's hardly an inspiring signing tbf.

A guy deemed surplus at Crewe and who never played 1 minute for St.Johnstone.

Was hoping for something a bit more exciting under our new Head of Recruitment. Seems a lazy signing.

He’s literally being signed as a backup keeper, how exciting can they really be? Were you hoping for Neuer?

Yeah mate, I was hoping for Manuel Neuer.

🤦

23/5/2024 2:32 pm  #152

Tek wrote:

JerryDungle wrote:

Tek wrote:

Was hoping for something a bit more exciting under our new Head of Recruitment. Seems a lazy signing.

He’s literally being signed as a backup keeper, how exciting can they really be? Were you hoping for Neuer?

🤦

Maybe Jerry was meaning his wee brother Bob Neuer.....

Oooooohhhh yeeeeeaaaaaah!!

23/5/2024 3:12 pm  #153

Tek wrote:

JerryDungle wrote:

Tek wrote:

🤦

Back up goalies aren’t meant to be inspiring is my point. He’ll likely be on a low wage, is experienced enough, is content to sit on the bench and deputise when needed without kicking up much of a fuss about not playing every week, and Goodwin’s probably spoken to folk at St. Johnstone and been told he’s a good pro around the dressing room. Also allows Newman to go out on loan and get some much needed experience.

A club like ours can’t carry two expensive goalkeepers like we did with Benji and Carson/Eriksson, it just doesn’t make any sense, the budget is far better spent on first team outfield players than a boy that’s gonna be picking splinters out his arse 95% of the time.

Also, that he couldn’t get into St. Johnstone’s first team isn’t really any mark against him, by all accounts the boy Mitov was the only positive thing about their season, scooped every single award at their POTY and apparently has bigger teams circling now.

Last edited by JerryDungle (23/5/2024 3:17 pm)

23/5/2024 6:13 pm  #154

He can get a lift to work with Stevie May. 

#Bananarama

"Don't F*cking ever offer me that again!"

24/5/2024 11:00 am  #155

I mind being underwhelmed when we signed Stevie banks. What I’d give for a backup keeper of that calibre again.

24/5/2024 11:51 am  #156

Steve Banks was a great back up keeper, but was he not also our GK coach?  Same with Neil Alexander.  Both still able to play at a good level, but coming towards the end of their playing career and looking to get into coaching.

With our budget, that is the route I think we should go if we are wanting a good standard of back up keeper

Oooooohhhh yeeeeeaaaaaah!!

24/5/2024 12:49 pm  #157

Paul mathers seems to be doing a fine job...

So probably not the need for 2? Guess he's come in cheap and can offer cover and experience ans maybe learn the coaching aspect too.

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

29/5/2024 12:47 pm  #158

Kristijan Trapanovski, 24 year old Macedonian winger. Linked..

29/5/2024 12:57 pm  #159

MockChop wrote:

Kristijan Trapanovski, 24 year old Macedonian winger. Linked..

From videos I've seen, looks like he likes to play on the left and cut in.

29/5/2024 8:28 pm  #160

Hearing a rumour about Stevie Mallan.

Again, underwhelming.

29/5/2024 9:02 pm  #161

Happy to give boys a chance now, in recent times the underwhelming signings have been the better ones 🤣

Last season Ollie denham most probably thought really promising signing- absolute pish, everyone probably thought holt was a underwhelming signing- turned out to be our best defender

List goes on sibbald the year before- bizarre signing at the time, been our best player for 2 seasons now.

29/5/2024 9:26 pm  #162

Sam McClelland, we were all shitting it when he was due to partner Graham v Raith, by the end of the season folk were checking where he featured on the the Baresi family tree.

29/5/2024 10:29 pm  #163

Tek wrote:

Again, underwhelming.

Yeah not a player I’d want.  Can score the odd long range effort, but weak as piss and prone to disappear in games.

29/5/2024 10:46 pm  #164

Snacks94 wrote:

Tek wrote:

Again, underwhelming.

Yeah not a player I’d want. Can score the odd long range effort, but weak as piss and prone to disappear in games.

Didn't we just pass him on to Hibs last summer?

29/5/2024 10:56 pm  #165

Underwhelming ...
Agreed.

Holt - released by Queens, Dees stays.
McMann - proven understanding with Middleton goes. 
Holt, proven record of pissing round at the back with Gallacher stays.
Defence turned round for the better once Holt and Gallacher lost their places and Graham/McClelland came in.
McCann - sound journeyman experience albeit with Haccies goes.
I'm just no getting this one in particular.

In general I look at attendance figures and we're sixth across the country.
To me we need to be aiming for top six, no 7th - 10th.

We cannot afford underwhelming signings.

Last edited by Shakey Isles Arab (29/5/2024 10:56 pm)

30/5/2024 12:26 am  #166

SuperMario wrote:

Happy to give boys a chance now, in recent times the underwhelming signings have been the better ones 🤣

I take your point.

But also feel County destroying Raith on Sunday (and over two legs) should be a massive wake-up call for us.

Because there wasn't much between us and Raith all season long and that County squad have finished 11th two seasons running.

We need a real injection of quality. 

30/5/2024 1:18 am  #167

Tek wrote:

SuperMario wrote:

I take your point.

But also feel County destroying Raith on Sunday (and over two legs) should be a massive wake-up call for us.

Because there wasn't much between us and Raith all season long and that County squad have finished 11th two seasons running.

We need a real injection of quality. 

There were 36 goals difference between us and raith,which for me points to us being a better team. They are lucky as fuck and their luck ran out. Ross County being made out to be world beaters which they are not,they will be losing two players this summer that will knock the wind out their sails as well.

30/5/2024 3:21 am  #168

Arabdownsouth wrote:

There were 36 goals difference between us and raith,which for me points to us being a better team. .

I didn't say we weren't. I said there wasn't much between the teams and that stands up considering they beat us twice out of the four games and drew one.

If you don't think we need an injection of real quality, fair enough. Because that was my main point, off the back of Raith;s Play-Off annihilation.

30/5/2024 5:24 am  #169

Tek wrote:

Arabdownsouth wrote:

There were 36 goals difference between us and raith,which for me points to us being a better team. .

I didn't say we weren't. I said there wasn't much between the teams and that stands up considering they beat us twice out of the four games and drew one.

If you don't think we need an injection of real quality, fair enough. Because that was my main point, off the back of Raith;s Play-Off annihilation.

My point was there was 36 goals between the teams? And I've not once said we don't need to sign more quality,I'm simply saying that Ross County are being touted as way out of our league,and quite simply I don't believe they are.

30/5/2024 10:09 am  #170

Shakey Isles Arab wrote:

Underwhelming ...
Agreed.

Holt - released by Queens, Dees stays.
McMann - proven understanding with Middleton goes. 
Holt, proven record of pissing round at the back with Gallacher stays.
Defence turned round for the better once Holt and Gallacher lost their places and Graham/McClelland came in.
McCann - sound journeyman experience albeit with Haccies goes.
I'm just no getting this one in particular.

On the nail m8. Dumbfounded by this ane.

30/5/2024 12:15 pm  #171

Looking like we will go with a back 3 this season. Will need a couple of back ups. If Holt is that, and we bring in another couple then it’s fine with me

30/5/2024 1:11 pm  #172

MockChop wrote:

Looking like we will go with a back 3 this season. Will need a couple of back ups. If Holt is that, and we bring in another couple then it’s fine with me

What makes you think we’re going with a back 3? Don’t think Goodwin’s ever played with a back 3 before, other than the tail end of our relegation season where his hands were tied by the players we had.

30/5/2024 1:53 pm  #173

Macho Man wrote:

From memory, Goodwin seems to have a good record when it comes to signing keepers.

Roos at Aberdeen and Walton being the two that immediately spring to mind.

Might be worth remembering that Walton was 3rd choice at Luton and most of us would be happy if he returned.  I think he had played less than 100 first team games before signing for us.

Roos is Sh!te

30/5/2024 2:05 pm  #174

JerryDungle wrote:

MockChop wrote:

What makes you think we’re going with a back 3? Don’t think Goodwin’s ever played with a back 3 before, other than the tail end of our relegation season where his hands were tied by the players we had.

Which is all I’m going on, really.

I know he prefers 4231, but I just think binning McMann and Duffy, and the Will Ferry rumours (LWB) suggested a change, maybe

30/5/2024 7:09 pm  #175

Will Ferry’s began following United on Instagram so that’s likely a done deal.

Board footera