Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27/8/2023 3:09 pm  #1

Why do so many people still say “coloured” ?

Over the last few months, I have been dismayed by the number of people still using the term “coloured” when they mean black. It’s not, even, a generational thing, people in their forties are still using the term.

It’s been over 12 years since Alan Hansen made his reference to “coloured” players. I really thought that would have been a watershed moment, but, it seems it wasn’t . I recall having a heated argument with my Dad over this one. He was well in his 70s when the Hansen incident occurred. He genuinely believed that “coloured” was not offensive, but, “black” was. When I explained to him that white was not the default colour and that there were all kind of shades of white he accepted it.

Admittedly the term “people of colour” is not great ( lumping all non Caucasians together), but, at least it is a non offensive term. Most Africans would prefer to be called “black” or “African”.

Are some people just stubborn (using the term their parents used), or ignorant, or unwilling to accept society moved on since the mid 1960s ?

29/8/2023 6:57 pm  #2

Re: Why do so many people still say “coloured” ?

I think that it's because folk feel using black is worse, that then puts it into the ignorance category, but not intentional ignorance if that makes sense?

Folk who'll use slurs, still use the lazy ones heard in many a playground when we were young.

"Don't F*cking ever offer me that again!"

30/8/2023 1:53 am  #3

Definitely ignorance. Similar to saying “chi*#y” in regards to ordering food. Had many a “discussion” in regards to the term “Jap” being inappropriate but was p1ssing in the wind on that front. FWIW there’s probably a lot more ignorance over here. Still see actors “blacked up” on major TV shows for example. 

It's not where you're from it's where you're at.

30/8/2023 5:56 pm  #4

japanarab wrote:

Definitely ignorance. Similar to saying “chi*#y” in regards to ordering food. Had many a “discussion” in regards to the term “Jap” being inappropriate but was p1ssing in the wind on that front. FWIW there’s probably a lot more ignorance over here. Still see actors “blacked up” on major TV shows for example. 

Obviously language changes and we knew that terms for the local convenience store or our favourite chinese takeaway had become offensive, so they'd long been dropped by the time you leave school, and if not then, it certainly should've by the time you bring your own family into the world.

We always went for a “chi*#y” not to the “chi*#y” that was the food, not the people, but that's neither here nor there, It was never used as a slur, but there's plenty who did so.

Load of folk still use it though and re the corner shop "I't's just shortening the name, I mean no offence!" Calling the guy from Banglasdesh  the P word isn't an issue for them but watch the same folk lose their shit when asked if they're English or worse, a Fifer.

"Don't F*cking ever offer me that again!"

30/8/2023 8:02 pm  #5

I think it is part generational, part where you grew up, part where you have traveled to and possibly part educational.

For those of you who recall Auf Weidersehn Pet (mid 1980s), Oz, Moxy, et all, referred to the Germans as “The Erics” and the Turks as “The Ayatollah’s”. These working class brickies struggled to understand why  “We” won the war and Germany was doing so well and yet there was mass unemployment in England. You also had a class thing going with Barry (electrician) consider himself middle class thus being better informed.

For me it’s not for Blacks/Africans or Chinese to explain to us what is acceptable or not. We should be willing to learn and adapt. Just because black Londoners use terms like “ni**er” or “blud” to talk amongst themselves, doesn’t mean we (Caucasians) should. Could you imagine if a black person called you “ba heid”

Too many people have a closed mindset. They don’t mean to offend but are wilfully blind as to whether they do or not.

31/8/2023 1:29 am  #6

Load of folk still use it though and re the corner shop "I't's just shortening the name, I mean no offence!"

Yeah, the shortening excuse is so stupid. Same excuse I encounter with the word “Jap”. 

It's not where you're from it's where you're at.

Board footera