Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19/7/2023 9:35 am  #26

Re: Utd v Partick - Tue 18/7/23

The problem Goodwin has now got is that in losing the first two games firstly to a part time first time SPFL outfit and then a depleted Thistle, nobody will fear us.  Everyone will come and have a go because they know that they can beat us.

He must get that over to the players now.  This isn't about restoring pride in the club.  It's about seeing which players are willing to stand up for themselves and each other before their season (and in some cases their careers) disappear in front of them.  The only we way go back up this year is if we deserve it.  That means being better than everyone else whether by skill, luck or sheer dogged determination.  Looking at this squad it's not going to be the first.  It's United so its not going to be the second.  So Jim if a player doesn't pass the sheer dogged determination test, get him away to feck.  Start with Watt.

19/7/2023 10:24 am  #27

I’m in complete shell shock at what is happening, some of the players just aren’t good enough and should be nowhere near a united first team

I really am rooting for Goodwin but time is already running out, he needs to make big calls this weekend

Freeman, denham, cudjoe and watt were pathetic last night, the subbies made absolutely zero impact on the game

19/7/2023 10:31 am  #28

We've had freak results in the past so that was always an argument that could have been made for the Spartans game. Similar happened when we lost to East Fife a few seasons back.
But last night was a game that was more important, Partick are in our league and looking at promotion. It was an opportunity to show the fans we had what it takes to get out of this league at the first time of asking against a rival. But even though they had a team full of kids they looked far hungrier and up for it than us. We don't even look like we could make the playoffs let alone win the league.

Goodwin got a let off last season because it wasn't his team.  But he's been at United 5 month now and I'm yet to see any real improvement with the quality of our play. Still leaking goals, slow on the ball and still struggling to create any chances.

There seems to be this idea that Goodwin was a hardman as a player so he must be the same as a manager. He might well be but it doesn't translate to his team on the pitch. We are soft as shite.

We can't keep paying off managers every 3 or 4 months so he'll be with us at least until the end of the season but he's done nothing so far to change my worry that he was the wrong appointment.

Last edited by Rick Dagless (19/7/2023 10:34 am)

19/7/2023 2:03 pm  #29

Saw this sum up of the players elsewhere and have to say I agree with every word......

Keeper seems okay.
Freeman isn't a fullback.
McMann had a good game.
Denholm has to toughen up and quick.
Holt's no very good.
Glass..... meh.
Sibbald.. don't know why he was taken off.
Docherty was okay but still not seen this hard man side of him yet.
Cudjoe isn't going to make it. 5 aside player.
Watt was actually interested and okay.
Fotheringham when he decided to run at them he looked a player.

Mochrie did nothing of note
Meekison think he actually tries too hard to impress.
Middleton looks unfit to me and also did nothing.
Graham ridiculously slow for a young lad but grappling with BG was right up his street.
Moult looked decent.

19/7/2023 3:40 pm  #30

Shedtastic wrote:

Saw this sum up of the players elsewhere and have to say I agree with every word......

Keeper seems okay.
McMann had a good game.
Holt's no very good.
Glass..... meh.

Graham ridiculously slow for a young lad but grappling with BG was right up his street.
Moult looked decent.

Pretty much spot on.

We still need a bit of creativity and width, If Sibbald is staying then he can play with Docherty, Grimshaw can play riight back if needed.

I'd be looking to get Moult and Watt playing together.

The best we've played in a long time imho was when Houstie went 4-4-2.

Now, these players aren't at that level, but we're also a level below,

Be solid at the back, two fighters in midfield and two creative types supplying your front two.

That team scored goals and could defend.

There's no need to play a new-fangled, convoluted, over thinking style. 

Let's go full Mike Bassett.

FOUR, FOUR, FUCKING TWO!

"Don't F*cking ever offer me that again!"

19/7/2023 4:44 pm  #31

David_Blunkett wrote:

Shedtastic wrote:

Keeper seems okay.
McMann had a good game.
Holt's no very good.
Glass..... meh.

Moult looked decent.

Pretty much spot on.

We still need a bit of creativity and width, If Sibbald is staying then he can play with Docherty, Grimshaw can play riight back if needed.

I'd be looking to get Moult and Watt playing together.

The best we've played in a long time imho was when Houstie went 4-4-2.

Now, these players aren't at that level, but we're also a level below,

Be solid at the back, two fighters in midfield and two creative types supplying your front two.

That team scored goals and could defend.

There's no need to play a new-fangled, convoluted, over thinking style. 

Let's go full Mike Bassett.

FOUR, FOUR, FUCKING TWO!

Agreed David, been crying out for 4-4-2. 4-4-2 a system where there's no doubt about your position, where you should/shouldn't be at each phase of play and what your role is. It's black and white - even the most simple players can't get it wrong. Too much of this 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 leaves boys not sure whether to press high, press on the touch of the midfielder or sit back. Last season we saw us lining up with the 3 across the midfield and not 1 of them sought to press the opposition - so we sat back, let teams come onto us and ultimately conceded a tonne of soft goals due to that (and a keeper who may well have stayed back in the changies). 

19/7/2023 6:12 pm  #32

Individual players are far more important than formations.
If we want to achieve any level of success this year Freeman, Glass and Cudjoe can't be part of the team.

19/7/2023 6:49 pm  #33

Board footera