Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13/4/2023 11:03 pm  #1

Should Utd appoint a new Sporting Director?

I honestly say NO. Not only a total waste of a wage, but dilutes the responsibility and autonomy of our first team Manager, who should decide on ALL his own targets and signings (with help from the scouting team of course).

What say you?

Should we even appoint a new Sporting Director?

14/4/2023 9:49 am  #2

Re: Should Utd appoint a new Sporting Director?

only if he is competent 

14/4/2023 11:10 am  #3

Depends on a clear definition of what they are responsible for.

If its supporting recruitment, negotiating new contracts and running the academy and not interfering with the first team then I would be open to it if they were the right person.

If its like the last person who was effectively the CEO of the whole club and forcing players on the first team, selecting the managers etc.  then I would pass on the idea 

16/4/2023 7:41 pm  #4

In a word no.

Essentially a SD sits between the Chairman and the head coach or manager. He has the authority to dismiss the latter. His role extends beyond recruitment to encompass the philosophy of the club. German clubs favour SDs, but, notably these people are invariably ex players who have achieved near legendary status in their playing careers.

The position is not to be confused with that of Director of Football whose remit is much narrower and less powerful.

For a club, United’s size, I don’t think either role is relevant. A decent manager and CEO is more than adequate.

16/4/2023 7:53 pm  #5

Macbonzo wrote:

In a word no.

Essentially a SD sits between the Chairman and the head coach or manager. He has the authority to dismiss the latter. His role extends beyond recruitment to encompass the philosophy of the club. German clubs favour SDs, but, notably these people are invariably ex players who have achieved near legendary status in their playing careers.

The position is not to be confused with that of Director of Football whose remit is much narrower and less powerful.

For a club, United’s size, I don’t think either role is relevant. A decent manager and CEO is more than adequate.

Yeah, I agree with Macbonzo..
It's getting the decent manager that has been the problem but looks like we are heading in the right direction now but still early days.

17/4/2023 7:17 am  #6

Agree, Sporting Directors can have a place but doubtful if that is needed in a club our size especially if you have a competent manager .
Regardless, the person in charge of running the team should be free from influence or agendas.
Any influence in terms of a sporting director should be from the manager/coach when building a squad/team.
Any other Sporting Director involvement can be seen as undermining and creates unrest during periods where results are poor.

17/4/2023 10:44 am  #7

Cannae see it.
Ogren's had hes fingers burned wi middle men.

Board footera