Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22/8/2022 5:42 pm  #126

Re: New Manager Thread

Canadian Arab wrote:

SlatefordArab wrote:

Probably crap, but anybody else seeing the rumours of Ross walking today?

I have not but I'm located in the arse end of beyond.

If this was to happen (and I'd be surprised if it did), I don't believe for one second it's because Jack Ross doesn't believe he can get more out of these players. That would be career suicide - labelled as a quitter as soon as the going gets tough. He would struggle to get another job at a decent club for a long time.

If he does walk, IMO it's because he does not believe he can work under the current constraints - whatever those are. And if that happens, it will be United who will struggle to appoint another decent manager for a long time. Neilson then Mellon then Courts then Ross - not a good look.

I hope the club sorts out whatever the issue is asap, to JR's satisfaction.

I'm sure someone will spot a common denominator at some point.....

22/8/2022 6:01 pm  #127

Finn Seemann wrote:

Canadian Arab wrote:

SlatefordArab wrote:

Probably crap, but anybody else seeing the rumours of Ross walking today?

If this was to happen (and I'd be surprised if it did), I don't believe for one second it's because Jack Ross doesn't believe he can get more out of these players. That would be career suicide - labelled as a quitter as soon as the going gets tough. He would struggle to get another job at a decent club for a long time.

If he does walk, IMO it's because he does not believe he can work under the current constraints - whatever those are. And if that happens, it will be United who will struggle to appoint another decent manager for a long time. Neilson then Mellon then Courts then Ross - not a good look.

Shambles, Mckinnon & Mixu all only lasted about a year before Ashgar was in the building.

22/8/2022 6:22 pm  #128

Stillliving wrote:

Shambles, Mckinnon & Mixu all only lasted about a year before Ashgar was in the building.

True, but they were sacked. The subsequent managers have chosen to leave, and not all because of fantastic offers elsewhere that they couldn't refuse.

It could all be a coincidence, but perceptions are important.

22/8/2022 6:23 pm  #129

Stillliving wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

Canadian Arab wrote:

Fair point - he's no worse than the previous management then. 

Thanks Tony, sorry to have questioned you.  I should have known my place.  Imagine hoping for better than mediocrity as a United fan.  Imagine measuring you against our 80s and 90s teams - stupid I know - crack on...

22/8/2022 6:26 pm  #130

Shedtastic wrote:

That particular rumour has been rubbished by Scott Burns.

Good - though I won't say I'm not a bit concerned as these things often have a grain of truth to them. FWIW, I hope JR stays. Impossible to judge him - good or bad - after so few games, and until such times as the evidence becomes clear on his ability to do the job, he deserves support and backing. IMO.

22/8/2022 7:14 pm  #131

Finn Seemann wrote:

Stillliving wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

Thanks Tony, sorry to have questioned you.  I should have known my place.  Imagine hoping for better than mediocrity as a United fan.  Imagine measuring you against our 80s and 90s teams - stupid I know - crack on...

If you are measuring Tony against the 1980s teams, then we may as well all give up.

The likes of Narey, Hegarty and Sturrock wouldn't be at United for more than 18 months before they left for a mid ranking English championship team and 5x the pay, if they played nowadays.

Last edited by AlwaysUnited (22/8/2022 7:15 pm)

22/8/2022 10:30 pm  #132

AlwaysUnited wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

Stillliving wrote:

If you are measuring Tony against the 1980s teams, then we may as well all give up.

The likes of Narey, Hegarty and Sturrock wouldn't be at United for more than 18 months before they left for a mid ranking English championship team and 5x the pay, if they played nowadays.

I was meaning more having a team where all the positions were covered rather than the halcyon days.  However, whether the youngsters and management like it or not, the expectations of the older fans are still higher than where we are.  For me, we are the sixth biggest club in Scotland and on that basis I think we should be competing for 3-8 in the league every season.  Long way to go...

30/8/2022 11:13 am  #133

Names like Michael O’Neill and Big Dunc won’t come near us.

Guaranteed it’ll be a Kevin Thomson type.

Board footera