Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09/4/2022 5:52 pm  #1

Courts

I know the season is not finished yet and lots could happen but what's our thought on him.

Initially, I was dead against him coming in.... he shut a lot of people up then we hit a slump in form...

Looking at the season objectives, I'd have bitten your hand off for top 6.

On the style of play, I think what we say about the boring style of play is echoed by most teams in the league. 

Recruitment has been pretty decent as has the emergence of Ross Graham.

If he can scrape us Europe, I think he will have out done expectations.

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

09/4/2022 6:33 pm  #2

Re: Courts

I'm pretty much with you Tangy.
He has got a poor team into the top six, our highest finish for 7 years.
Think how you felt trudging out of The Indodrill that cold miserable Friday night before you start complaining about a top 6 finish.

09/4/2022 7:28 pm  #3

Recruitment has been absolutely shocking in my opinion and this hasn't helped Courts.

I think that for Courts to get that set of players into the top 6 then he deserves a crack again next season.

You can only piss with the cock you have but my word, central midfield is a massive concern, wide areas we lack any sort of quality, and when Mark McNulty is our first choice CF then that says it all.

Ogren seriously needs a review of how we bring in these players and evaluate if really is getting value for his cash.

09/4/2022 8:30 pm  #4

CCX2 2010 wrote:

Recruitment has been absolutely shocking in my opinion and this hasn't helped Courts.

I think that for Courts to get that set of players into the top 6 then he deserves a crack again next season.

You can only piss with the cock you have but my word, central midfield is a massive concern, wide areas we lack any sort of quality, and when Mark McNulty is our first choice CF then that says it all.

Ogren seriously needs a review of how we bring in these players and evaluate if really is getting value for his cash.

100% this. Courts has done not too bad with a poor/unbalanced/disjointed squad.

I would also add that today we were crying out for a sub with about 20-30 mins to go and Courts failure to bring one on suggests he has no real faith in in *academy squad despite all the pr that we are subjected to on a weekly basis.

Our full backs/wing backs/wingers are abysmal as are our centre forwards and creative midfielders.

Asghar and his recruitment lackies have been incredibly lucky this season because tbh, we are no better than when we got promoted from the Championship and have benefited massively from a good defence and goalkeeper and a massive decline in quality across the entire Premier League.

Last edited by lifesanocean (09/4/2022 8:38 pm)

Too much commotion

10/4/2022 8:18 am  #5

I was really skeptical at start of season. Every manager appointment is a gamble, promoting someone with no experience at this level was long odds.

He has done well, top six and a chance of European football, although I wonder if we are ready for that.  

The style of football can be brutal to watch, I wonder how that compares to other teams in the league. It appears that any young creative players who can entertain and open up defenses, move to England early in their career, so perhaps this is the best we can do in the circumstances. 

10/4/2022 11:36 pm  #6

Hibs, Aberdeen and St Mirren have switched managers & it didn’t work out like they’d hoped. We’ve benefitted from that.

Would we have enjoyed a new manager bounce? Who knows, maybe..

11/4/2022 7:08 am  #7

MockChop wrote:

Hibs, Aberdeen and St Mirren have switched managers & it didn’t work out like they’d hoped. We’ve benefitted from that.

You can add Dundee & Sevco to the list of clubs who changed managers during this season and made things worse.

Cool heads are always required and look at things at the end of the season.

11/4/2022 11:47 am  #8

Not posted in a while, but 100% agree with most in this thread. Courts has done OK against what was expected at the start of the season. The day after he was appointed I think you could have offered most United fans safety they'd take it, such was the unknown nature of the appointment.

But if you'd offered us top 6 in the same breath, we've have bitten your hand clean off. So from that perspective its certainly a thumbs up from me.

You'd have to say though, that some of the football has been mind-numbing at times. Even if some of it could be down to what we've had available to change things up.

The decisions to loan out Glass and Chalmers only for them to be bit-part players for ICT and Killie, coupled with Harkes and Pawlett now out for the season along with the sale of Appere, just seem to have really backfired, which most predicted at the time. If we can see it, why couldn't they?

This summer's recruitment is so massively important. We basically need a completely new midfield and attack. They cant afford to get many wrong.

11/4/2022 1:07 pm  #9

LarsErikKjell wrote:

Not posted in a while, but 100% agree with most in this thread. Courts has done OK against what was expected at the start of the season. The day after he was appointed I think you could have offered most United fans safety they'd take it, such was the unknown nature of the appointment.

But if you'd offered us top 6 in the same breath, we've have bitten your hand clean off. So from that perspective its certainly a thumbs up from me.

You'd have to say though, that some of the football has been mind-numbing at times. Even if some of it could be down to what we've had available to change things up.

The decisions to loan out Glass and Chalmers only for them to be bit-part players for ICT and Killie, coupled with Harkes and Pawlett now out for the season along with the sale of Appere, just seem to have really backfired, which most predicted at the time. If we can see it, why couldn't they?

This summer's recruitment is so massively important. We basically need a completely new midfield and attack. They cant afford to get many wrong.

Glass was at the united game on Saturday, wonder if he is getting recalled early, Loan has been a disaster, Del boy dosnt fancy him 

11/4/2022 2:33 pm  #10

Courts disnae fancy him, neither did mellon
could be a pattern emerging?

11/4/2022 3:10 pm  #11

Beardy23 wrote:

I think its fair to say him and Chalmers could be considered 'luxury players' however I'd much rather have had them on our bench and playing a part in some matches (especially recently when we've been so weak on the bench) than just sat on the bench somewhere else.

As boys now comfortably into their early 20s - they both need to step it up or they'll not make it at this level. Both have pretty clear talents, but unfortunately neither have had that run in the team that proves they have what it takes (see Ross Graham as the perfect example).

Side-note to say, if I am Kieran Freeman I am raging that I've been sat getting splinters these last few weeks. Maybe I'm watching a different game but Liam Smith as a wing-back is just so ineffective. They are both at a similar level and each have their own strengths, but in a wing-back roll, Freeman is miles clear of Liam Smith for me.

11/4/2022 4:05 pm  #12

Welcome back LEK.

Two good posts that i agree with 100%.

Particularly your points about our recruitment in January and the recent omission of Kieran Freeman.

A player who adds much attacking threat to our side. 

Something we all know we sadly lack.

I find it baffling.

11/4/2022 4:06 pm  #13

Stillliving wrote:

MockChop wrote:

You can add Dundee & Sevco to the list of clubs who changed managers during this season and made things worse.

Cool heads are always required and look at things at the end of the season.

Absolutely, I just mentioned they 3 clubs as they were chasing the same spot as we were.

11/4/2022 4:07 pm  #14

Beardy23 wrote:

Neither fancied big Ross Graham much either. Who also struggled in the Championship.

Declan Glass and Logan Chalmers are the two most naturally gifted players at Tannadice. It will be a great shame if neither make it with us.

11/4/2022 4:24 pm  #15

My concern with Courts at the start of the season was that he would be outsmarted by most street-wise managers in the league because of his very limited experience playing, coaching or managing at a high level. A great youth coach who puts on excellent sessions that develop the abilities of teenagers is miles different from managing a Premier league team where results matter. We had 21 points after the first 11 games, and after all managers had seen us, we have secured another 20 points from the subsequent 22 games. Our form in the 2nd and 3rd round of games would have us on 30 points at the split, which would put us in 11th level with St. Johnstone. I read somewhere yesterday that our current points total would have us in the bottom 6 in 6 of the past 11 seasons, and never as high as 4th.

I agree he hasn't been helped by some questionable recruitment. That said, we went out and got Tony Watt, we have Dylan Levitt as possibly the most successful loan player we've had in years, we replaced Robson with what seemed for the first half of the season to be an upgrade, we brought in Mulgrew, Niskanen has given us some threat and pace out wide, and we have two international keepers on the books as back-ups to Benji. There are issues we still haven't addressed in the squad, but, with Sheep and big Ross Graham also now regularly involved, IMO this is a higher quality squad than our past 3 managers have had to pick from, so recruitment might not have been great, but it also hasn't been a disaster.

I think Courts got out-thought by McGhee on Saturday. We went with 3 at the back, plus wing backs. McGhee had them hitting us on the break and getting it wide, behind Niskanen and Smith, creating 2-on-1s or pulling a centre half out of the middle. We seemed to do very little to counter that. The fact he made no subs in the last 20 minutes at 2-2 tells me he was happy enough with a point, to guarantee top 6, rather than push for 3. It also makes me wonder how highly he rates some of our young lads. Sure, a fresh Kevin McDonald might be a better option than a fresh Archie Meekison, but a fresh Archie Meekison wouldn't be a better option than a Kevin McDonald running on empty after 75 minutes?

I'll be interested to see what he does for the last 5 games. Does he push for a UEFA Cup spot, playing his "strongest team" every week and leaving our young lads getting splinters? Does anyone believe we're getting past the first qualifying round when we can't score and are on a run of form that got us 20 points in 22 games against the weakest SPL in living memory? For me, we've got the financial boost of top 6. Now get Archie, Mochrie, Neilson, Cudjoe etc. into the remaining games for more experience.

I think he'll go with option 1, I think we'll finish 5th, and I think he could have done better with the players at his disposal.

11/4/2022 4:31 pm  #16

Tek wrote:

Beardy23 wrote:

Neither fancied big Ross Graham much either. Who also struggled in the Championship.

Declan Glass and Logan Chalmers are the two most naturally gifted players at Tannadice. It will be a great shame if neither make it with us.

It's impossible to be 100% sure of how a player's career is going to go. But both have shown in small flashes in the first team that they could be good players for us. As much as the club will want to make money from the youngsters we bring through, when you get guys like Glass and Chalmers in their early 20s surely the focus should be on getting them in the team, give them a run of games in a position and a system that could suit them and hope that they can make the 100+ career apps for us before potentially moving onto bigger and better things?

I think in our recent run of fixtures, Glass and Chalmers would have made an impact. Wee Cudjoe managed to make an impact for us at Hibs in his first every professional performance. We could have had 4th place firmly in our hands with the 4 extra points that victory vs Hibs and Dundee would have given us. Two games that were perfectly winnable when you consider the quality of the opponent.

Add that to recent matches like Livi, St Johnstone and Aberdeen away. Even Hearts at home we could have won if we'd just had more options for Tam to make a change. Looking back at the benches in those matches, it's hardly surprising we dropped points if I'm honest. Our back-up attacking options are basically teenagers and Adrian Sporle.

Another big issue for us is going ahead in matches and not holding onto that lead. We didn't drop a single point from the 7 games that we took the lead in our first 14 league games this season.

We've since dropped 13 points from winning positions from league games 15-33. That is simply not good enough. 4 wins in our last 20 league games is awful form, regardless if we had a load of draws in there like we've had. 

Trying to not be too negative but those are just simple facts that don't make good reading. Having said all that, we could be literally 2 wins away from European football next season, bring it on and MON UNITED!

11/4/2022 5:46 pm  #17

Completely agree with all of the above. The Declan Glass loan has probably finished his Utd career and yet the games he played before he went he looked like it was about to take off. The Livi game and the Hibs game he played as a number 10 coming off the left hand side and looked a real threat.

Agree too about Freeman omission being a mystery. The two real weak links in our current team are Mark McNulty and Liam Smith. I'd wager most of our attacks break down when these two get the ball because both are abysmal technically. Smith got away with it in the Championship because he played in a back 4 and didn't need to do as much attacking. He also had McMullan in front of him so his main job was to simply give him the ball. Today as a wing back he's being asked to do things he is completely incapable of doing such as open his body out to play the ball down the line, play on the half turn, go outside defenders, cross the ball, and build possession. His touch is fucking terrible and he's one of these players who can only play the way he is facing and it drives me mad when he cuts back onto his weaker foot to cross or pass, slowing our attacks down.

Last edited by lifesanocean (11/4/2022 9:23 pm)

Too much commotion

11/4/2022 6:05 pm  #18

Genuinely didn't think we would make top 6 so Tam should be lauded for that achievement.

However, we have been eye-wateringly bad to watch in far too many games and its only because the league has comfortably been the weakest in living memory that we are where we are.  Nevertheless there are grounds for thinking that if we can improve the squad Courts can secure us more top six finishes.  Improving the squad is a massive task this close season and Courts won't be to blame if we don't get that right.

11/4/2022 8:48 pm  #19

I'm not sure it's fair to call the league the weakest in history etc etc. We've got The Rangers, Celtic, Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen and ourselves. We've already done better than both Aberdeen and Hibs who's budgets I would guess are much bigger than ours.

Recruitment wise, it's easy to think we could change the entire squad in 2 transfer windows - but that's not realistic. Getting money for Appere was a masterstroke - he was so far out the picture, I'd have been happy enough for us just to not lose money on the deal (aside from the fact I really wanted him to succeed - but that wasn't meant to be)

Recruitment wise has been OK. Biamou being the only notable failure.

11/4/2022 9:02 pm  #20

Tangy wrote:

I'm not sure it's fair to call the league the weakest in history etc etc. We've got The Rangers, Celtic, Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen and ourselves. We've already done better than both Aberdeen and Hibs who's budgets I would guess are much bigger than ours.

Recruitment wise, it's easy to think we could change the entire squad in 2 transfer windows - but that's not realistic. Getting money for Appere was a masterstroke - he was so far out the picture, I'd have been happy enough for us just to not lose money on the deal (aside from the fact I really wanted him to succeed - but that wasn't meant to be)

It's the weakest league in years. Not in terms of the teams in the league (the established big six are all in it, ourselves included).

It's the weakest league in terms of the overall quality of it. As said previously, every team from Hearts down on minus goals.

I'm bewildered how you can say the recruitment has been ok other than Biamou.

Biamou - Never started a game
Akinola - played 45 minutes 
McMann - Started well, but hasn't featured for weeks and even Sporle has came on in his position ahead of him in recent times. A player who will be off in a month.

McDonald - Hasn't improved the team.

McNulty - A very costly dud

Carson - Punted out on loan after 4 months

Eriksson - Hasn't played 1 minute.

Even Niskanen is a bit of a flop for me. Pursued him for a year, paid cash for him. Was supposed to be a pacy winger. Headless chicken all too often.

Recruitment wise this season only Mulgrew has been an undoubted success

11/4/2022 9:51 pm  #21

6 and 1/2 out of ten so far.

To me he's taken look at table at start of his tenure, and for sure after Hearts thrashing and said - what you wouldnae have to be Einstein to work out - ie all mid table teams equally take points of one another, so aim is to drop less.  Consequence some dire performances some OK.

And like someone said he could - to some extent only - play the cards he's been dealt.
Not entirely true tho' because he's gone into games with pop gun attack, - worse he's telegraphed that to opposing coaches.
Should have been remedied when Watt came in but he's continually played out wide, McNulty continually selected and failure to give young laddies more of a run remains a mystery best known to himself.

At times our main tactic at the front is chasing down opposing goalie - what's that about ?

Anyhow real bottom line will be May 14th.

12/4/2022 7:00 am  #22

Just did a quick bit of research there (quiet morning).  If TC does get this limited group of players to finish 4th it should be seen as a significant achievement.
Our neighbours have not finished that high since 1962 .

12/4/2022 7:22 am  #23

Tek wrote:

Tangy wrote:

It's the weakest league in years. Not in terms of the teams in the league (the established big six are all in it, ourselves included).

It's the weakest league in terms of the overall quality of it. As said previously, every team from Hearts down on minus goals.

I'm bewildered how you can say the recruitment has been ok other than Biamou.

Biamou - Never started a game
Akinola - played 45 minutes 
McMann - Started well, but hasn't featured for weeks and even Sporle has came on in his position ahead of him in recent times. A player who will be off in a month.

McDonald - Hasn't improved the team.

McNulty - A very costly dud

Carson - Punted out on loan after 4 months

Eriksson - Hasn't played 1 minute.

Even Niskanen is a bit of a flop for me. Pursued him for a year, paid cash for him. Was supposed to be a pacy winger. Headless chicken all too often.

Recruitment wise this season only Mulgrew has been an undoubted success

Would add that Levitt has been a recruitment success and has even scored some excellent goals recently. However, he was at his most effective when we were playing 4-3-3 pre Xmas and he sat as a playmaker with Harkes and Fuchs either side of him almost acting as blockers and were mobile enough to go into wider areas to join up with the full backs and wide players and also press opponents. Since Fuchs left (and wasn't properly replaced with a similar player) we've lost mobility in midfield, particularly now Harkes is injured (no idea what his injury is of course). Levitt, Butcher and McDonald just don't have the legs to go into these areas and play these roles. We've changed shape to a 3-5-2 to suit what we have in midfield (and to accommodate Ross Graham at the back) but more importantly we've stopped playing out from the back, through Levitt in midfield and are increasingly just lumping the ball to an imaginary big striker meaning we just keep giving up possession. Levitt has been reduced to the role of a water carrier and ball winner as our opponents now dominate possession and we spend most of our time chasing second balls. Neither role gets the best out of him and tbh is a complete waste of his (and McDonald's actually) talents.

Last edited by lifesanocean (12/4/2022 6:44 pm)

Too much commotion

12/4/2022 9:01 am  #24

Tek. I won't quote your quote for the sake of the tidiness of your forum...

Last year was the exact same with regards to teams on plus goal difference- going back to 2017/18 the most teams you got with positive gd was 5. Even then, most if those were single figures - so not like we are a million miles off that. So off the back of that - seeing as last year was similar to this years table, do you think the team has shown an improvement? If you also think the recruitment has been poor, is this down to courts management?
I wouldn't agree that goal difference equates to quality of the league - I would say the league has been less entertaining.

Recruitment wise...Levitt mulgrew, watt I'd say we're good
Niskanen, mcmann have been OK
Biamou and mcnulty have been dissapointing. Mcnulty got a chance through the middle but never took it.

With regards to the keepers, I guess Carson was taken in to replace benji and for 1 reason or another, wasn't sold....so when he was going to be 2nd choice, decided to jack it....equally with the finish boy, I think it's more about succession planning than not being good enough - neither you or I could say.

12/4/2022 11:20 am  #25

Yeah recruitment has been a mixed bag for me. Agree with Tangy, you'd say Levitt, Mulgrew and Watt have definitely improved the side. But like lifesanocean says - Levitt doesnt massively suit our current setup.

McMann started so well but dropped off drastically. For what its worth, I think he'll come back into things next season and get back to those levels.

Same with Niskanen, he is definitely not the quality winger we thought he was, but you cant deny his work-rate and commitment to the cause, even if he does have some really poor moments. I hope next season he'll push on and really contribute in an attacking sense. The current formation doesn't help him but I still think he can contribute more from that area. Motherwell at home (2-0 win) - he was outstanding at left wing-back and we need to see more of that. I think a 442 is the formation that would suit him the most but its not one I expect us to play very often.

Board footera