Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26/11/2021 9:58 am  #26

Re: Asghar

So the suggestions seem to point to Tom Cairns being asked to leave and potentially Tom takin his ba with him?

Don't know Tom Cairns.  For those that do, freeloader or volunteer?  Part of the club or hinger on?  Discuss.

26/11/2021 12:57 pm  #27

I’m not at all fussed about Tom Cairns stepping down from doing tours or whatever it is he did. He volunteered and got 23 years out of it. Good run.

Kinda concerned with the handing back of historical items, as it’s a decision that can’t be reversed. I liked seeing the display cases.

There’s dragging the club into the 21st century then there’s trying to bin history. I’d like an official word on that.

26/11/2021 5:14 pm  #28

The latest on this from John Reilly is that he has accepted Tony's apologies for not speaking to him and that there seems to have been no malice from the club re strips, caps etc.  He's meeting the club next week.

26/11/2021 6:10 pm  #29

Bingo lads

japanarab wrote:

doontheroadarab wrote:

Could it possibly be these items were part of the Tom Cairns United history collection and he has given them back to the players as he has now packed it in?

This would make more sense and lines up with Conway11 saying no “official” member of staff did it plus the part that the strips etc have been sent to the players and not them being told to pick them up themselves. 

26/11/2021 11:57 pm  #30

Rick Dagless wrote:

Big Tony has told Heggy, Malpas, Holty and Hamish to collect all their United medals, caps and memorabilia and get it out of Tannadice.

Made it clear that the new regime don't want the club looking at the past.

Can't believe the club are doing it, pretty disrespectful, while I don't disagree with the ethos of living in the past, these are mementos of our clubs most successful period and led to us being the club we are today. There's clubs with museums in their stadiums but we can't have a cabinet and photos of mementos of our history. Madness imo.

Tam Cairns been relieved from his role he had at the club too I'm led to believe

In light of latest news on this, don't you think you should update this with Tom Cairns replacing TA on asking players to collect their memorabilia, also relieved from his duty to actually jacking it in himself, posting stuff as fact when not even nearly true is dividing and prettty poor stuff and only going to cause division with our fans, unless of course that was your aim?.

We don't give a damn what the others say
We'll cheer on United all the way
For we are the Terrors of Tannadice

27/11/2021 12:16 am  #31

doontheroadarab wrote:

In light of latest news on this, don't you think you should update this with Tom Cairns replacing TA on asking players to collect their memorabilia, also relieved from his duty to actually jacking it in himself, posting stuff as fact when not even nearly true is dividing and prettty poor stuff and only going to cause division with our fans, unless of course that was your aim?.

Some of the concerns made public by former players concern events that occurred months before Tom Cairns stepped aside, so it seems like there's more to it than just what Tom Cairns has said or done. Hopefully the club will give us some clarification soon.
Not sure why Rick Dagless would aim to cause division amongst the fans. Saying that what he posted was "not even nearly true" when it is consistent with a lot of what Boney said, seems a bit harsh. The OP said he had been "led to believe" that Tom Cairns had been relieved of his duties. I wouldn't call that "posting stuff as fact" when someone is just passing on information they were given.
When stuff like this happens, I wish either the club or people with some inside info could just clarify things for everyone asap, so things don't spiral downhill, as usually seems to happen.

27/11/2021 12:32 am  #32

Saying that what he posted was "not even nearly true" when it is consistent with a lot of what Boney said, seems a bit harsh.

The latest on this from John Reilly is that he has accepted Tony's apologies for not speaking to him and that there seems to have been no malice from the club re strips, caps etc. 

27/11/2021 12:41 am  #33

Aye, I know that mate. The original post was made after Boney made his earlier comments, so it wasn't unreasonable for Rick Dagless to say what he said at that time.
To be honest, all we have now are several conflicting reports and it's still not clear what's going on. As I think I said earlier in this thread, at the very least it's a case of very poor communication (again).

27/11/2021 12:52 am  #34

Canadian Arab wrote:

Aye, I know that mate. The original post was made after Boney made his earlier comments, so it wasn't unreasonable for Rick Dagless to say what he said at that time.
To be honest, all we have now are several conflicting reports and it's still not clear what's going on. As I think I said earlier in this thread, at the very least it's a case of very poor communication (again).

I sometimes wish for the days when you didn't know who held the purse strings and you just supported your team,but I must admit degrading my team just to be in the know really fucks me off.

27/11/2021 12:54 am  #35

Amen to that.

27/11/2021 10:40 am  #36

doontheroadarab wrote:

Canadian Arab wrote:

I sometimes wish for the days when you didn't know who held the purse strings and you just supported your team,but I must admit degrading my team just to be in the know really fucks me off.

Its quite easy to just support the team doontheroad. 
Just read through threads like this with a smile on your face.
40yrs ago it was the wait till your hear this figures talking loudly at the bar, not its annonomous ITK stuff on line.
A very difficult 3 games in a week coming up for the terrors

29/11/2021 1:03 pm  #37

doontheroadarab wrote:

Rick Dagless wrote:

Big Tony has told Heggy, Malpas, Holty and Hamish to collect all their United medals, caps and memorabilia and get it out of Tannadice.

Can't believe the club are doing it, pretty disrespectful, while I don't disagree with the ethos of living in the past, these are mementos of our clubs most successful period and led to us being the club we are today. There's clubs with museums in their stadiums but we can't have a cabinet and photos of mementos of our history. Madness imo.

Tam Cairns been relieved from his role he had at the club too I'm led to believe

No.....it's a football forum, not a government office.

As Canadian said I was just going on what I heard and read from ex-players, which at the time was correct.
I don't claim to be "in the know" as the story was circulating around fans on social media at the time.

I made the post less about Tom Cairns or trying to "degrade the club" but more about what appeared to be poor treatment of club legends by the club. I'm glad Boney and I assume the rest of the players who donated memorabilia got an apology and it got cleared up.

29/11/2021 1:43 pm  #38

doontheroadarab wrote:

Rick Dagless wrote:

There will always be fans that are only interested in the results on the park and that is fair enough.  There will however also be others that care equally about the reputation of the club and therefore it is totally right that fans comment on the things that they hear, even if they are not 100% correct.  There has been a direction of travel under this latest regime that doesn't sit well with me and others and without people calling it out we would probably never know if we are being 'led up the garden path' or not.

We only need to look across the road at our neighbours to see what happens when the wrong people get control of a club unchecked.  Not saying that is the case with us, but there should be no issue with the asking of questions and general vigilance.  Accepting everything the 'club' says as gospel is a potential recipe for disaster.  If you think that causes division then others need to ask themselves if they have the best interests of the club at heart.  The club is bigger than its current custodians.

29/11/2021 3:41 pm  #39

Agreed that accepting everything as gospel is a recipe for disaster, as is questioning every thing they say and believing every online warblings as gospel.....

29/11/2021 6:14 pm  #40

AlonsMosely wrote:

Agreed that accepting everything as gospel is a recipe for disaster, as is questioning every thing they say and believing every online warblings as gospel.....

👍

29/11/2021 6:37 pm  #41

AlonsMosely wrote:

Can't argue with that - there is always a need to take any online warblings with a pinch of salt.  A healthy element of distrust is appropriate in all respects.

29/11/2021 7:11 pm  #43

Well, if the facts provided in Asghar's statement are correct, there are plenty of folk on forums with links to the DUBC etc. who could have put these concerns to bed right away. Why did they let this run on and on?

More importantly for me, I've not publicly questioned Asghar in the past (I don't tend to criticise the club publicly) and it was only in light of statements from people close to the club about club legends, employees and volunteers being treated less than respectfully that led me to say anything this time. In response (to me and many others), along comes Asghar under a "United together" banner and makes a statement that splits the support into "the majority" who support what he's doing, and "the minority" who are out to cause trouble at any cost. "United together" while driving a wedge between two groups of fans.

He should have stuck to explaining what was going on with the memorabilia etc. and left it at that. And that's a statement he could have made last week. The rest of it was unnecessary and ill-advised. He hasn't done himself any favours in terms of winning over any doubters. If anything, any reservations I had way at the back of my head have just become more prominent.

29/11/2021 8:17 pm  #44

I have no problem with him revealing the facts of the situation regarding the memorabilia, the meetings with DUBC and the John Reilly facebook post. If false information has been written he is absolutely within his rights to put out something giving his side of the story.

But my God what a bullish and aggressive tone in that statement. Basically wanting Utd fans to turn on each other.

Rumours and things written online about players, Managers, coaches and high ranking club officials happen at every single club.

Seems that Tony is almost trying to eradicate any criticism or opinion regarding the club that he would deem negative. 

And it would seem wants the fans to 'self police' the supposed 'disruptors' i.e. fellow Utd fans of many years, who just may happen to have a differing opinion.

A ridiculous thing to suggest in an official club statement. Good grief. 

29/11/2021 9:46 pm  #45

Tek wrote:

I have no problem with him revealing the facts of the situation regarding the memorabilia, the meetings with DUBC and the John Reilly facebook post. If false information has been written he is absolutely within his rights to put out something giving his side of the story.

But my God what a bullish and aggressive tone in that statement. Basically wanting Utd fans to turn on each other.

Rumours and things written online about players, Managers, coaches and high ranking club officials happen at every single club.

Seems that Tony is almost trying to eradicate any criticism or opinion regarding the club that he would deem negative. 

And it would seem wants the fans to 'self police' the supposed 'disruptors' i.e. fellow Utd fans of many years, who just may happen to have a differing opinion.

A ridiculous thing to suggest in an official club statement. Good grief. 

Spot on.  Tony doesn't appear to think that he needs to build bridges with anybody and anyone who doesn't agree with him seems to be against the club.  Typical dictator syndrome.  If things have gone awry with DUBC then why?  What has the club done to resolve that?  This, or variations on a theme, seem to beset relationships at the club since he has taken over the helm.  I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt on the memorabilia front and that someone has thrown toys out of the proverbial pram, but why?  Maybe Tony needs to look at himself in the mirror and see he is part of the problem here?  As I have said above, for some, a better product on the park does not absolve the owners and management from criticism as is the underlying tone of the release.  If we were planning enhancing the 'museum' all along then why has he waited until there is criticism of the relationship with those legends before announcing it.  Is it just poor overall management or, as I refer to earlier, being taken up the garden path...

A terrible statement indeed.

Last edited by Finn Seemann (29/11/2021 9:48 pm)

30/11/2021 10:11 am  #46

Maybe, just maybe, he's starting to get fed up with the constant personal attacks on ' the fat hun' for just doing his job. Which so far in my eyes is going the right way. I would never say that the club or anyone at it is above criticism, but his is over the top imho.

30/11/2021 10:50 am  #47

AlonsMosely wrote:

Maybe, just maybe, he's starting to get fed up with the constant personal attacks on ' the fat hun' for just doing his job. Which so far in my eyes is going the right way. I would never say that the club or anyone at it is above criticism, but his is over the top imho.

Agreed that the 'fat hun' stuff is out of order and just gives him an excuse to say the criticism is out of order.  I have absolutely no issue with any of his past, I'm only bothered that he does the right thing with United.  He deserves plaudits for the upturn in form on the park, but that doesn't shelter him from criticism for the performance off the park.

01/12/2021 11:36 pm  #48

After reading the Dundee United Business Clubs statement in reply it would seem that John Reilly does not come out of this at all well.

He basically knew that himself and his fellow ex-players requested their strips and memorabilia back themselves and that the said items were only getting held within Tannadice for future use i.e. once the new lounges were renovated.

None of this should have went public and it's actually been quite a cringe making episode from all concerned.

02/12/2021 12:31 am  #49

Seems to be a classic case of people full of self-importance on both sides behaving like children.  This dropped to new lows when said people then choose to wash their dirty laundry (or memorabilia) in public.  Bob Servant would be proud.  Embarrassing.

How do these people allow something so petty as 'access hours to Tannadice' to lead to besmirching the good name of both the football club and the business club.  Pathetic.

Last edited by Finn Seemann (02/12/2021 12:31 am)

Board footera