Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17/8/2021 8:29 pm  #1

Mark Ogren DUTV Interview

18/8/2021 10:09 am  #2

Re: Mark Ogren DUTV Interview

Only got first 30 seconds as not signed up to DUTV and have now read the Courier report.  He doesn't seem to be saying much bar "trust me".  Is that a fair summary?  If there is more in the video then fair enough.  If that's where we are at then he maybe needs to take a look at who we are trusting to take us forward.  I for one do not trust our management team to take us forward.

18/8/2021 11:13 am  #3

Finn Seemann wrote:

Only got first 30 seconds as not signed up to DUTV and have now read the Courier report.  He doesn't seem to be saying much bar "trust me".  Is that a fair summary?  If there is more in the video then fair enough.  If that's where we are at then he maybe needs to take a look at who we are trusting to take us forward.  I for one do not trust our management team to take us forward.

If you just register and make account you are able to watch for free mate, don’t need to add payment details etc 👊🏼

18/8/2021 12:17 pm  #4

SuperMario wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

If you just register and make account you are able to watch for free mate, don’t need to add payment details etc 👊🏼

Didn't know that, cheers.  Will watch at my leisure...

18/8/2021 1:19 pm  #5

Finn Seemann wrote:

SuperMario wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

Didn't know that, cheers.  Will watch at my leisure...

I wouldn't bother signing up if its just to watch the interview, 12 minutes of hee haw.

18/8/2021 1:52 pm  #6

Finn Seemann wrote:

Firstly, I am relieved to see him over here. It's his investment and the greater involvement he has, the better.

The incremental improvement mantra (" doing things a little better each day") was exactly the same (near verbatim) mantra that Micky Mellon articulated. I quite liked it and assumed it was his philosophy. The problem I have now is: Was this MM philosophy? Is it TA's philosophy? or is it actually MO's philosophy?

The other thing which bugs me, is that, in an interview just prior to Ogren taking over United, Asghar said that Ogren was looking at a number of clubs "but we kept coming back to Dundee United" Who exactly was representing these clubs? Is it possible Asghar/Revolution was marketing more than one club?

Lastly does anyone have any idea what Asghar's/Revolution's fee/percentage cut/commission or remuneration for the deal was.

If they finish top half, who cares, I suppose, but if  they don't the questions just get louder.

18/8/2021 2:21 pm  #7

Macbonzo wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

Firstly, I am relieved to see him over here. It's his investment and the greater involvement he has, the better.

The incremental improvement mantra (" doing things a little better each day") was exactly the same (near verbatim) mantra that Micky Mellon articulated. I quite liked it and assumed it was his philosophy. The problem I have now is: Was this MM philosophy? Is it TA's philosophy? or is it actually MO's philosophy?

The other thing which bugs me, is that, in an interview just prior to Ogren taking over United, Asghar said that Ogren was looking at a number of clubs "but we kept coming back to Dundee United" Who exactly was representing these clubs? Is it possible Asghar/Revolution was marketing more than one club?

Lastly does anyone have any idea what Asghar's/Revolution's fee/percentage cut/commission or remuneration for the deal was.

If they finish top half, who cares, I suppose, but if they don't the questions just get louder.

I'd say on your first point it's a Dundee United mantra and if everyone is on the same page then that's a good thing. Who came up with it doesn't matter. The CEO of your company does not write/believe/care a lot of what he puts his name to.

Asghar's job at the time was to represent clients and speak to company's - of course there were other companies. He was only doing his job. He's done it in a way that MO has hand picked him to run the investment. I'd have been more open to a fuller process but if he's impressed a successful business in his practical dealings- that is better than any interview process. 

No idea what the cut was but it was compensation for a service rendered so no issues if it was £1 or £1m.

The jury's still out on success and there are signs that things aren't going swimmingly or according to plan but there's also many positives which buys time in my book. 

18/8/2021 3:15 pm  #8

Lilley01 wrote:

Macbonzo wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

If they finish top half, who cares, I suppose, but if they don't the questions just get louder.

I'd say on your first point it's a Dundee United mantra and if everyone is on the same page then that's a good thing. Who came up with it doesn't matter. The CEO of your company does not write/believe/care a lot of what he puts his name to.

Asghar's job at the time was to represent clients and speak to company's - of course there were other companies. He was only doing his job. He's done it in a way that MO has hand picked him to run the investment. I'd have been more open to a fuller process but if he's impressed a successful business in his practical dealings- that is better than any interview process. 

No idea what the cut was but it was compensation for a service rendered so no issues if it was £1 or £1m.

The jury's still out on success and there are signs that things aren't going swimmingly or according to plan but there's also many positives which buys time in my book. 

Can't argue with any of that, but, and this does draw into question MOs judgement, finding and securing an opportunity to invest in a football club is wholly different from then running that club on a day to day basis.  MO seems to have bought into a concept that has been sold as a new way of doing things when it really isn't and the reality is that we are stumbling from one management crisis to the next all at a time when Covid is totally rookying any opportunity to grow the business.  The truth is that we are not necessarily better than yesterday and there is no real strategy to say we'll be better again tomorrow.  We've thrown the vast majority of our chips on the Academy and it simply remains to be see if that is a good idea or not.  Meantime the offering on the park is, post the Shankland sale, going in the wrong direction.

19/8/2021 9:08 am  #9

But we are better than we were 2 years ago?? No??

19/8/2021 10:04 am  #10

AlonsMosely wrote:

But we are better than we were 2 years ago?? No??

I genuinely don't think there is much in it and I think we are now going in the wrong direction on the pitch.  Off the pitch we are wholly reliant on Ogren so I don't really see any difference there either.

19/8/2021 11:07 am  #11

Stayed in the premier with breathing room last season is a massive improvement of 4 years in the championship. It leaves us with a long way to where we want to be but you cannot argue that's not improvement. Of the pitch Ogren invested to early to hopefully make us regular top 6, that isn't happening over night. I would love to see us signing the finished article but they are more expensive and just maybe there are slightly more attractive offers out there for players right now.    

19/8/2021 11:20 am  #12

Obviously last season's result was an improvement on the previous 4.  However, I look at our current squad and don't think it is significantly better than the team that missed out on promotion 2 years ago.  I think our manager and footballing backroom staff generally are a downgrade on what we had 2 years ago (and given I hated Robbie that's going some).  We've lost our best player and we have replaced him with a player that didn't produce the goods, other than fleetingly.  Clearly we are a work in progress that's accepted, actually we probably always will be, but I just happen to think the overall vision is flawed.  Some boys want to give it a chance, fair enough.  I think it's doomed.  If players are failing to sign up for our new vision, what does that tell you?

19/8/2021 11:58 am  #13

I know it's a complete fluke but we qualified from our Lge Cup group for the first time in years, got to the Lge Cup quarters for the first time in years & inflicted The New Rangers' first defeat in 40 games.
Yes we are doomed. 

19/8/2021 1:03 pm  #14

smedDUm wrote:

I know it's a complete fluke but we qualified from our Lge Cup group for the first time in years, got to the Lge Cup quarters for the first time in years & inflicted The New Rangers' first defeat in 40 games.
Yes we are doomed. 

If we are measuring success for United as narrowly beating a bunch of part timers and a penalties win over perennial lower league Ayr United count me out.  Our win against the New Rangers is the one that gives you hope, but it was pretty clear we played right at the top of our ability and the New Rangers played right at the bottom of theirs and we also got a bit of luck.  Don't get me wrong, I was delighted with the win - but does any United fan genuinely believe that there will be more of the performance v Rangers or the performance v Aberdeen?  I doubt it. 

19/8/2021 1:42 pm  #15

Why do you say the TNR performance is less likely to happen rather than the Aberdeen performance? The two games were opposites in fan attendance sense. At Pittodrie there was 6,300 sheep & no Arabs whilst at Tannadice there were 4,600 Arabs & no Huns. So why not think for McDiarmid on Sunday 3,000+ Arabs might incite a good performance. We're likely to put in the good performance rather than the Aberdeen performance or am I just being slightly positive rather than overly negative.

Btw what was the luck we had against TNR?? You can't even acknowledge the performance for what it was.

19/8/2021 1:58 pm  #16

Btf he did say we played at the top of our ability - ie Big bad tam got 100% out of the players and from that it could be assumed it was a good performance.

You have also failed to answer his question about struggling against lower league teams....

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

19/8/2021 2:09 pm  #17

smedDUm wrote:

Why do you say the TNR performance is less likely to happen rather than the Aberdeen performance? The two games were opposites in fan attendance sense. At Pittodrie there was 6,300 sheep & no Arabs whilst at Tannadice there were 4,600 Arabs & no Huns. So why not think for McDiarmid on Sunday 3,000+ Arabs might incite a good performance. We're likely to put in the good performance rather than the Aberdeen performance or am I just being slightly positive rather than overly negative.

Btw what was the luck we had against TNR?? You can't even acknowledge the performance for what it was.

Fans don't make that much difference.  I'll give you the first game with fans back at Tannadice should encourage them, and it did, but that will wear off.  The luck was the massive deflection off a TNR player straight into the path of Robson for the goal - or are we now into game revisionism?  It was a great performance, but realistically on another day we don't get that result.  The deflection doesn't happen and TNR pressure eventually gives them a goal.

19/8/2021 2:13 pm  #18

Tangy wrote:

Btf he did say we played at the top of our ability - ie Big bad tam got 100% out of the players and from that it could be assumed it was a good performance.

You have also failed to answer his question about struggling against lower league teams....

Correct - I was beginning to think that maybe Tam had something after all - Ayr knocks that out of you again though.

We are seeing the difference between cup half full or cup half empty thinking.  Or wishful thinking as against realism.
I'd like to be in the former camp, but I just don't trust those in charge.

19/8/2021 3:03 pm  #19

Finn Seemann wrote:

smedDUm wrote:

Fans don't make that much difference.  I'll give you the first game with fans back at Tannadice should encourage them, and it did, but that will wear off.  The luck was the massive deflection off a TNR player straight into the path of Robson for the goal - or are we now into game revisionism?  It was a great performance, but realistically on another day we don't get that result.  The deflection doesn't happen and TNR pressure eventually gives them a goal.

So that's what you got out of the game, a 'massive deflection'?
That's a shame.

19/8/2021 3:36 pm  #20

You've still not answered his question about struggling against most of the lower league teams we have played so far.

Too much commotion

19/8/2021 3:56 pm  #21

lifesanocean wrote:

You've still not answered his question about struggling against most of the lower league teams we have played so far.

Ok I'll try.
Kelty, Elgin, East Fife, Arbroath, Ayr Utd. Played 5 won 5. These teams raise their game markedly against us, the bigger opposition, a bit like the Old Infirm complain about every other team raising their game, or at least trying to raise their game, against them.
These games were largely crowd-less hence no inspiration from the stands.
Having said that, against Elgin in front of 500 ballot-winners, we had Alan Preston raving about us, highlighting the 6 kids that took part.& the 6 goals we scored. (And AP doesn't like us much).
Why 3 days later at the same ground with the same crowd, we didn't repeat the performance I don't know. Something to do with a wise man in a bunnet maybe.
But don't forget how well we played after going a goal down, was Man City-ish.
Aberdeen lost at Raith Rovers on Sunday, our 5 wins v lower opposition has to be commended.
I'm waiting to see how we do at McDiarmid then at home to Hearts which will have a 5-figure attendance.
I'm confident I'll be cheering.

19/8/2021 3:58 pm  #22

Could be a few reasons, using the games as pre saeson games to develop fitness, the fact that we are deemed a scalp and the lower league teams lift there game could be another. The fact that Raith Rovers knocked Aberdeen out and Arbroath took a team that went toe to toe with Galatasary to penalties would suggest struggling against lower league teams is not unique to us....  

19/8/2021 4:06 pm  #23

smedDUm wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

smedDUm wrote:

So that's what you got out of the game, a 'massive deflection'?
That's a shame.

Our goal came from a massive deflection.  A fact.  But just like it coming off the Duck's arse, I'll take any goal against that lot.  You are a strange one.

19/8/2021 4:12 pm  #24

smedDUm wrote:

lifesanocean wrote:

Ok I'll try.
Kelty, Elgin, East Fife, Arbroath, Ayr Utd. Played 5 won 5. These teams raise their game markedly against us, the bigger opposition, a bit like the Old Infirm complain about every other team raising their game, or at least trying to raise their game, against them.
These games were largely crowd-less hence no inspiration from the stands.
Having said that, against Elgin in front of 500 ballot-winners, we had Alan Preston raving about us, highlighting the 6 kids that took part.& the 6 goals we scored. (And AP doesn't like us much).
Why 3 days later at the same ground with the same crowd, we didn't repeat the performance I don't know. Something to do with a wise man in a bunnet maybe.
But don't forget how well we played after going a goal down, was Man City-ish.
Aberdeen lost at Raith Rovers on Sunday, our 5 wins v lower opposition has to be commended.
I'm waiting to see how we do at McDiarmid then at home to Hearts which will have a 5-figure attendance.
I'm confident I'll be cheering.

I'm OK with all of that.  Genuinely (apart from the next 2 games one where I think we'll be doing well to get more than 2/3 points - maybe you're a Saintie or a Jambo though).  But the original point was are we better than the team 2 years ago?  A team that got in the play-offs generally beating teams that ended up below us in that league and no doubt leagues below.  My contention is that beating those teams this year (and generally the manner in which we did so) doesn't mean we are a better team than the one from 2 years ago.  That's all.  (i.e. we haven't really progressed)

19/8/2021 4:14 pm  #25

AlonsMosely wrote:

Could be a few reasons, using the games as pre saeson games to develop fitness, the fact that we are deemed a scalp and the lower league teams lift there game could be another. The fact that Raith Rovers knocked Aberdeen out and Arbroath took a team that went toe to toe with Galatasary to penalties would suggest struggling against lower league teams is not unique to us....  

But to use your Aberdeen and Farmer analogies, neither are we a perennial top 6 club or recent double cup winners.

Board footera