Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26/11/2014 4:36 pm  #1

biggest dissapointment from youth set up

who was biggest dissapointment that had good youth reports at club but when made it into first team ended up awful? i think mconologue he had great scoring record for reserves and seemed highly rated by all the coaches at the time but he was fkn awful in every game i saw him for first team

26/11/2014 4:58 pm  #2

Re: biggest dissapointment from youth set up

Will struggle to come up with a better example than McConolugue.

McCunnie is another example but I guess he started off well and maybe let the footballers fame go to his head.

I think big things were expected of Paul 'Wee Man' Walker but it never quite worked out for him.

26/11/2014 8:11 pm  #3

Creme Tangerine wrote:

Will struggle to come up with a better example than McConolugue.

McCunnie is another example but I guess he started off well and maybe let the footballers fame go to his head.

I think big things were expected of Paul 'Wee Man' Walker but it never quite worked out for him.

The 3 that immediately sprang to my mind aswell. McConalogue had a sensational record, but just never cut it at 1st team, may have been as much down to timing as anything else tho.

Add Gary Kenneth to the list also, may have won a cup, but never got close to living up to the potential he had.

26/11/2014 8:30 pm  #4

David winters
Greg Cameron

26/11/2014 8:49 pm  #5

Not disappointed, but was gutted when things didn't work out for him, but Ben Honeyman. Scored for fun in the youth squad and reserves, got his first appearance starting in the challenge cup, 94-95 season, and scored the winner against Clydebank.

Then he appeared on the bench against Dumbarton the week after and then didn't get near the first team ever again.

Was a shame as Ben and his family are all big Arabs as well.

26/11/2014 9:53 pm  #6

Dale Hilson was a dissapointment.

Just as Goodwillie was starting to really make a name for himself we started to hear reports of another boy fae the Raploch who had also played for Carse just like Goodie+Big Dunc before him,but was even BETTER.

He scored for fun in the youths,braces+hat-tricks all the time...but then,well...just spent the next 5 years on loan at Forfar.

At least McConologue scored a few for the first team (4 was it?).Hilson had 1 sub appearance in all his time at Tannadice.

26/11/2014 10:01 pm  #7

Hilson is really good for Forfar.

My choice would be Steven Thompson. Had all the attributes to be a top striker but was pish for us for 4 years then finally came good and promptly fucked off after 6 months.

McConologue clearly had a football brain and could take a goal, if him and Hilson (and Thompson possibly) had been nurtured by the current reigime they'd have come on a lot better.

Last edited by lifesanocean (26/11/2014 10:05 pm)

Too much commotion

26/11/2014 10:35 pm  #8

Greg Cameron.

27/11/2014 1:15 pm  #9

ArdlerArab wrote:

David winters
Greg Cameron

These 2 along with McConologue and Paul Walker. Most seemed to carry on and have decent careers as pro's but not at the top.

27/11/2014 3:32 pm  #10

Scott Allan due to the fact he was moved on after half a dozen 1st team games, would have been good to see him progress at Tannadice before being sold, just like Gauld i can only take comfort in the fact that the money was right for United at the time.

Hear their shout, hear their roar
They've probably had a barrel of ale and much, much more
Hooray, hooray, hooray, yeah
Over the hill went the swords of a thousand men

Board footera