Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02/2/2020 3:22 am  #1

Out of contract players

2 weeks till our next game. We are down to the absolute bare bones offensively.

Can you name players who are out of contract that Utd should look at.

*reminder the club look in on here every day

02/2/2020 8:19 am  #2

Re: Out of contract players

The problem with out of contract players is that there is probably a reason why they are sitting without a club in February.

As long as the injuries to Appere and McMullan are not serious, along with Cammy Smith staying at the club, I wouldnt say we need to sign anyone who is in that scenario.

02/2/2020 9:53 am  #3

If they club are looking in every day I'm gonna throw this in.

Why is the manager constantly changing the team to fit his favoured players in?

Why did Glass suddenly after starting a few games have to make way?

If Watson is carrying a knock why is he even in the bench? It's not as if he is an impact player or a goal scorer who at even 70% could be important.

Why squeeze two ultra defensive midfielders into the team when one defensive sitting with one who could make a dash forward was working perfectly fine?

What does the manager see in Pawlett? since he has came into the side again the lack of chances created is noticeable.

Just a wee general wondering / rant from myself, that's four games without a win now and with Alloa away next the smart money would say it's soon going to be five.

02/2/2020 12:32 pm  #4

Ross McCormack?
Finished?

02/2/2020 12:54 pm  #5

Tony Watt’s a free agent.

There’s a reason for that though, I’d still only be looking at these sort of players were McMullan and Sow to be out long term.

Get Cammy Smith integrated back into the squad. Not sure if you can recall players outside a transfer window, but Logan Chalmers as option off the bench could wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world, especially considering that’s his role at Arbroath, he’d be as well doing it for us.

03/2/2020 11:26 am  #6

Isaac Buckley-Ricketts - young striker/winger was at Man City then Peterbrough - absolutely rapid. No harm in offering a deal until the summer. We badly lack pace at times going forward.

03/2/2020 9:40 pm  #7

Kris Doolan and Kenny Miller to add to the list. My word.

03/2/2020 9:52 pm  #8

There's rumours that as well as Tony Watt CSKA Sofia are also possibly releasing Irishman Graham Carey (Bulgarian transfer window is open until 29th Feb).

We actually had him on trial about 6 years ago but signed Andy Robertson instead.

But he went on to have a very good career in England. Frequently scoring for Plymouth.

Would take him in a heartbeat. Can play left wing.

03/2/2020 9:57 pm  #9

Tek wrote:

There's rumours that as well as Tony Watt CSKA Sofia are also possibly releasing Irishman Graham Carey (Bulgarian transfer window is open until 29th Feb).

We actually had him on trial about 6 years ago but signed Andy Robertson instead.

But he went on to have a very good career in England. Frequently scoring for Plymouth.

Interesting. Some left peg on him

03/2/2020 10:31 pm  #10

LarsErikKjell wrote:

Tek wrote:

Interesting. Some left peg on him

From memory the lad was decent at set pieces which we are severely lacking at the moment.

03/2/2020 10:55 pm  #11

Tek wrote:

We won’t be able to sign him if he wasn’t released by Friday.

Might have to look seriously at Watt now with Sow ruled out for the season.

03/2/2020 11:34 pm  #12

I don’t think we’ll sign anyone tbh

04/2/2020 7:42 am  #13

SuperMario wrote:

I don’t think we’ll sign anyone tbh

Ive that feeling also.

Fucking unreal.

04/2/2020 8:12 am  #14

Tek wrote:

Tek im taking this as pure speculation on your part re the guy Carey?

04/2/2020 8:25 am  #15

bowers wrote:

Tek wrote:

It is just speculation, yes.

It was mooted on Twitter that he may also be released from Sofia just as Watt was. Which sent Plymouth fans into meltdown as they hero worship the guy.

I would have taken him if he was available but it would seem going by JD's post that it wouldn't be possible anyway.

04/2/2020 8:31 am  #16

So it would seem our options are pretty much.

Tony Watt (26 years old)
Kris Doolan (33 years old)
Kenny Miller (40 years old)

Out of them it would be Tony Watt for me.

Doolan was a good Striker at this level but it would seem injuries and age have caught up with him.

In Kenny Miller's case it's just age that's caught up with him. Though say what you want about him he hardly ever gets injured and still seems fit for his age. His goals/games ratio for Partick wasn't actually that bad and he did of course score against us in the 4-1 game just 3 weeks ago. So i'm guessing fitness wise he'd be 'good to go' right away.

Ridiculous that this is the situation we are in btw. But it is and beggars can't be choosers.

04/2/2020 9:10 am  #17

Tek wrote:

Tony Watt (26 years old)

Doolan was a good Striker at this level but it would seem injuries and age have caught up with him.

In Kenny Miller's case it's just age that's caught up with him. Though say what you want about him he hardly ever gets injured and still seems fit for his age. His goals/games ratio for Partick wasn't actually that bad and he did of course score against us in the 4-1 game just 3 weeks ago. So i'm guessing fitness wise he'd be 'good to go' right away.

Ridiculous that this is the situation we are in btw. But it is and beggars can't be choosers.

Agreed, not a good scenario at all.

If our current squad all stayed fit for the last 13 games then we wouldnt NEED someone in but the likelihood if that is of course very slim with Pawlett about. Also the fact that McMullan, Appere and Glass have missed very recent games due to injury. So for that reason we really do need to get at least 1 in.

For me (and I canna believe I'm typing this) it would be Kenny Miller from the players listed purely for his experience with so little games remaining.

I hope there is maybe an out of contract MLS player that G.Forrest knows about that we can bring across but probably unlikely.

We have one or two wingers in the academy like Meekison and Fotheringham that are highly thought of so I'd expect them to fill the bench but obviously we cant rely on 17 year olds to get us over the line.

With our current squad all fit, this would be my 11 of choice:

Benji
Smith Watson Butcher Robson
McMullan Harkes Powers Pawlett
Shankland Appere

Subs: Deniz, Sporle, Connolly, Reynolds, Glass, Mochrie, King

Enough to see us over the line if injuries are kind to us.

Last edited by LarsErikKjell (04/2/2020 9:17 am)

04/2/2020 9:18 am  #18

Tek wrote:

bowers wrote:

Tek wrote:

It is just speculation, yes.

It was mooted on Twitter that he may also be released from Sofia just as Watt was. Which sent Plymouth fans into meltdown as they hero worship the guy.

I would have taken him if he was available but it would seem going by JD's post that it wouldn't be possible anyway.

I didnt know that was a rule but I suppose it makes sense.

04/2/2020 9:47 am  #19

Tony Watt training with Motherwell and Steven Robinson talking positively about him.

Fuck sakes.

04/2/2020 10:13 am  #20

Tek wrote:

Tony Watt training with Motherwell and Steven Robinson talking positively about him.

Fuck sakes.

Tony Watt’s training with @MotherwellFC.

Stephen Robinson: “Tony’s a local boy, a very good footballer. We’ve let him come in & train with us without anybody wanting anything out of it at this stage”

04/2/2020 11:55 am  #21

Why do folk reckon we are limited to signing Scottish players now, specifically Watt (or Doolan or Miller)?

We could have signed them last week if they were targets. It may be that a foreign lad is being lined up for a few months.

04/2/2020 11:57 am  #22

PatReilly wrote:

Why do folk reckon we are limited to signing Scottish players now, specifically Watt (or Doolan or Miller)?

We could have signed them last week if they were targets. It may be that a foreign lad is being lined up for a few months.

Hope so mate! But the ones closer to home are the only ones we could know anything about.

Fingers crossed they have something up their sleeves.

04/2/2020 1:25 pm  #23

Ive just noticed that Clyde have taken a player from Motherwell on loan. I know that sometimes the loan window stays open a little longer for clubs at a certain level... anyone know the exact rules?

07/2/2020 2:24 pm  #24

Tek wrote:

Tony Watt (26 years old)

3 days later.

Tony Watt signs for Motherwell.
Kris Doolan signs for Morton.
Kenny Miller retires from playing and has moved to Australia to become a 1st team coach with the Newcastle Jets (remember them?).

And of course Utd have signed Rakish Bingham.

Football moves fast.

07/2/2020 4:16 pm  #25

LarsErikKjell wrote:

Ive just noticed that Clyde have taken a player from Motherwell on loan. I know that sometimes the loan window stays open a little longer for clubs at a certain level... anyone know the exact rules?

A bit late replying LarsErikKjell, but I think clubs in the lower two levels, League One and League Two, and also it seems the Lowland League given Alassan Jones has been signed by Berwick (as announced by Daft Limmy), can sign loanees until the end of February. 

But I don't know the exact rules as produced by the SFA: they ignore them anyway when it suits.

Board footera