Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26/1/2020 2:24 am  #1

Where were you in 9/11?

Had this conversation in my work yesterday.

That 'JFK moment' as they put it. Where were you when you heard about the terrorist attack on the Twin Towers?

26/1/2020 8:42 am  #2

Re: Where were you in 9/11?

I was working in a call centre in Glasgow.

I went to the break room and everyone was talking about the first plane hitting, when we watched the second plane hit live. There was some debate about if it was a replay or not, before one guy pointed out that one tower was already smoking when the plane flew by. 

Went back to the call centre and the place was silent, hardly any calls for the rest of the shift. Went to the pub after work with a mate and remember the pub also being eerily quiet.

26/1/2020 12:45 pm  #3

It wisnae me!

26/1/2020 7:07 pm  #4

Was at work, seen it on the tele there.  Customer came in asked what it was, I answered “it’s the start of world war 3”.    Was scary at the time, but now with a bit more experience of the world, I realise war will never end anyway, the rich and powerful won’t ever let that happen.

26/1/2020 9:23 pm  #5

I was on the second day of my obeservation week on my first teaching placement as a student teacher.  I had no idea what was going on and walked from Menzieshill High down to Ninewells Hospital bus terminus to get the bus back home to Tayport. Bought a Tully in the hospital and sat and read it whilst I waited for about 35 minutes for the bus.  Got home, walked into the living room past my folks and my sister who were all watching the tv and said hi.  As I walked out into the lobby to go upstairs to put my bag into my room my mum shouted me back asking why I wasn't wanting to watch what was going on.  Told her I'd be down in a minute once I'd got changed.  She then insisted I came in as did my sister (which was strange since she never watches the news). I came back in and my dad said, "Do you not know what's going on?" To which I replied no (pre-smartphone days and the internet was not updated as frequently as it is today).

I finally turned the tv off at about 2am in the morning after saying to myself I couldn't keep watching this horror over and over again...

Last edited by lifesanocean (27/1/2020 9:27 pm)

Too much commotion

27/1/2020 5:29 pm  #6

Was in college - Constitution Road campus - I mind the lecturer went out the class to get something from his office, came back in a few minutes later and told us what had happened.  Queue the whole class spending the next hour or so scouring the Internet for news.  Then went home and sat and watched it all unfold until the early hours. Mental day.

30/1/2020 1:52 pm  #7

Was in my bed. Was on night shift. Wife came in from her work and woke me up.

Was at the 9/11 memorial museum in NYC in 2018. Heartbreaking stuff. Couldn't go into the room that had pictures of all the poor people that died. That was just too much.

01/5/2020 8:05 pm  #8

Tek wrote:

Had this conversation in my work yesterday.

That 'JFK moment' as they put it. Where were you when you heard about the terrorist attack on the Twin Towers?

I recall this one as though it was yesterday. I was a trader with a company called  Blackwood in Gresham Street, in the City. It was an offshoot of a much larger NY trading firm. We had a couple of Americans, but, most of the rest were ex LIFFE traders (the last open outcry pit to close), then there were three of us who had made the grade on our own.

I recall some guy coming into to have a look round. He knew all the ex LIFFE guys. He had been a pit trader and was considering making the switch. Exactly seven minutes after he walked in one of the wall mounted screens, showed a picture of (what looked like a tiny plane) embedded in a large tower. The guy sitting opposite, wee Phil, began laughing his head off and said "Harvey just arrived and look what happens..."He was in the process of calling round other trading rooms, to share the joke about Harvey, when the second plane hit. Everything changed.

I found out, Harvey, or Harvey Stephens to give him his full name, had been a child actor. He only starred in one film: The Omen. He played Damien.

The rest of the afternoon was spent at the pub watching a newsfeed. Blackwood's NY office was below Cantors. Many friends were lost.

02/5/2020 3:31 pm  #9

Great anecdote Macbonzo.👍

20/5/2020 8:38 am  #10

blackandtangerine wrote:

...Couldn't go into the room that had pictures of all the poor people that died. That was just too much...

Yeah, much easier to go into the room and look at the pictures of all the rich people that died!...😁

I was on holiday, in a bar/restaurant that had a walkway to the beach. Great way to get custom as the next entrance was a fair trek away.

A couple stood up an we intended nicking their seats, but they never moved. Then the groans and screaming started. I thought it was a film They were watching, then the news cuts in...

I suddenly began to panic, selfishly, because I hate flying, and if you can imagine what I was like after any Hampden defeat, multiply it by 1000! We were leaving next morning, and it was hectic. How we left that airport with a very minimal 4 hour delay, I'll never know. No alcohol to calm the nerves, no sitting down etc, just herded into a corner. Panic, fear, people crying and hugging each other...

What a feeling to get back home safely. Went to the Euros after that, and never been in a plane since. I just didn't like flying, and after witnessing that, I'm petrified...

Board footera