Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

29/3/2020 8:29 pm  #51

Re: New United Blog

Too much commotion

29/3/2020 11:36 pm  #52

lifesanocean wrote:

https://madnessistangerineincolour.blogspot.com/2020/03/the-banter-years-2016-2020-worst-of.html

Probably best not to read if you are self-isolating...

Pretty traumatic stuff. I was at some of the disasters you luckily missed, but have to agree, given where I live, that 6-1 defeat in Grangemouth was the worst. I sat right to the end for some reason, but there wasn't much booing, as almost everyone else had long departed.

30/3/2020 4:20 am  #53

lifesanocean wrote:

https://madnessistangerineincolour.blogspot.com/2020/03/the-banter-years-2016-2020-worst-of.html

Probably best not to read if you are self-isolating...

2 of those games were on my Birthday.

Including No.1. 

Good old Utd.

05/4/2020 4:21 pm  #54

Too much commotion

05/4/2020 8:52 pm  #55

Will read this later on tonight LAO.

25/5/2020 10:27 am  #56

https://madnessistangerineincolour.blogspot.com/2020/05/the-bipolar-years-part-5-2012-2013.html

The Battle of the Baldies

Last edited by lifesanocean (25/5/2020 10:28 am)

Too much commotion

25/5/2020 12:26 pm  #57

Outstanding stuff once again mate

25/5/2020 9:55 pm  #58

Good stuff again.

Like the style of writing and detail. Nice ending too, had a similar experience and also can't track down the old pics.

25/5/2020 10:30 pm  #59

Nail on head stuff.  Got to be positive with new era.

26/5/2020 3:06 pm  #60

Enjoyed that, some memory for the finer details and sub plots that existed at the time!

Just curious, what was the background/rationale for Swanson's for basically trying to get sent off. Don't recall the game.

26/5/2020 5:20 pm  #61

Think he was just in a bad place mentally and physically and didn't feel like he could contribute.

Last edited by lifesanocean (26/5/2020 5:20 pm)

Too much commotion

26/5/2020 6:14 pm  #62

Thanks for the nice comments. Its been good to get constructive feedback from yourselves and previously from the likes of TEK and Pat Reilly.

Too much commotion

26/5/2020 6:30 pm  #63

Lot of memories there, good stuff. I'll take issue with the idea that Barry Douglas was dribbling across his box though, and I've heard lots of United fans saying the same thing about that match (where we played well in the first half and should have been a couple of goals up). 

Douglas received a difficult, wayward clearance and ushered it back towards Rado who stood rooted on his line for some reason. It was clear what he was doing, even indicating to Rado that he should take responsibility. I'd say the culpability lay totally with the Polish keeper.

I specifically mind that game and the whole incident, as the weather had been great, we travelled in light clothes and sat in the main stand at Rugby Park, at the same end as we defended in the second half. But it came on pishing rain and we were soaked by the time we'd walked a couple of hundred yards at full time.

Keep up the blogs! It's funny how I've put things well out of my memory, but some of the stuff you write brings it all back to me clear as day. Thanks!

Last edited by PatReilly (26/5/2020 6:32 pm)

03/8/2020 5:17 pm  #64

03/8/2020 6:45 pm  #65

Brought back more unhappy memories.................

Some good ones too, right enough.

29/9/2020 9:56 pm  #66

29/9/2020 10:16 pm  #67

The transfer window doesn’t close in 24 hours though

29/9/2020 11:17 pm  #68

That was the best blog you've written. 

Hit the nail on the head, for me.

30/9/2020 9:42 am  #69

i enjoyed that.

​Interesting perspective. Doesn't really bother me too much about lack of specifics on injuries. However,  the more you catalogue the issues there, the more I think it's maybe a ploy to keep opposition managers guessing. If the fans don't know then the opposition manager certainly doesn't know therefore making it harder to combat shape, predict tactics or choose effective strategies. If it gains us an advantage, I could live without hearing about McMullan's groin for example.

​Similar with transfers and finances. It seems purposely vague. Like we're trying to be clever and give nothing away to rivals or players. If we're overt that we're in the market, it likely forces prices and wages up. Again, i'm ok with the lack of the communication if the strategy provided an advantage and was delivering results in terms of our transfer targets and running costs. 

​It is a massive step change to the previous type of communication expected though.

​A point that is causing me a bit of concern, and conflicts with all the points you've made, is the direct and obvious playing up of our youth system. Every line-up, match report and pre-match analysis from MM makes reference to our production line. And being cynical about it, it seems more for the eyes of scouts and clubs, rather than a celebration of our good work.

​So comms-wise - very deliberate in some areas, clearly obtuse in others. 

30/9/2020 10:03 am  #70

Agree with Lilley01...
Regarding injuries, how often have we been told X player will be back in 4 weeks only for him to be posted missing for months? I don't think there's a massive benefit to anyone outside the club having detailed information.

Transfers? As I said on the relevant thread, I totally understand why we've not signed a whole new team. We might have if the pandemic hadn't happened, but I think MM has done a decent job in showing we don't need one. Yes, I'd like a couple more in certain positions but as long as we don't sell anyone, I'm confident we'll be mid-table this season with the squad (and manager) we've got.

30/9/2020 10:13 am  #71

A well written blog as always. Whether you agree with most of it, some of it, or none of it, I love anyone who takes the time to write about how they feel about United. It doesn't really hit with me on all levels but I've switched off a bit from anything that goes on in between matches due to some personal stuff recently.

Keep writing though mate - the more Dundee United content we have, the better.

30/9/2020 10:29 am  #72

I'm not sure what the big deal is with injuries.  I'd like to know more, I'd be interested in more updates, but I certainly don't feel entitled to know.

I'm not sure where the Shankland secret injury bit cam from, I found an article from 10th Aug (two days after the injury) which stated that he had been given an injection on an ankle injury the previous day, and would take 48 hours to know if it had worked.  Which is just as I remembered it.  So no need to be reminded of John-Wayne Bobbit after all 

As for letting us know when a player will be back, I'd rather players came back when they were fully fit and then stayed fit than be rushed back because some tosspot manager promised his media pals a specific date. 

As much as I am craving more information at the moment, and have more time on my hands than normal to consume it, I accept that me knowing everything is not in the clubs best interests, and I can only hope that the people who's job it is to act in the clubs best interests are actually doing so.  They certainly weren't with certain managers in the past, so I for one don't hark back to any recent experiences.

I think the point about transfers is closer to the mark though.  I liked it at first when Scott Burns started naming names, but now I don't see the point in it.  I don't know how I'd feel if there was complete silence except when someone signs, but this constant leaking of names that are obviously never going to happen is getting very old now.  I wouldn't mind if the success rate was around 30%, but it is getting embarrassing now.  I also agree on the deadline day stuff, but not sure there is much any individual club can do about it.  Saying that, give me a Brazilian international on the back of the Daily Record in a kilt any day of the week 

Still enjoyed reading the blog.  It's good to hear other peoples viewpoints

30/9/2020 11:18 am  #73

Goodie Conway 2 wrote:

Agree with Lilley01...
Regarding injuries, how often have we been told X player will be back in 4 weeks only for him to be posted missing for months? I don't think there's a massive benefit to anyone outside the club having detailed information.

Transfers? As I said on the relevant thread, I totally understand why we've not signed a whole new team. We might have if the pandemic hadn't happened, but I think MM has done a decent job in showing we don't need one. Yes, I'd like a couple more in certain positions but as long as we don't sell anyone, I'm confident we'll be mid-table this season with the squad (and manager) we've got.

Good observation in transfers paragraph GC2, it's a yes from me.

04/1/2021 11:22 pm  #74

https://madnessistangerineincolour.blogspot.com/2020/12/the-bipolar-years-part-7-2014-15-mon.html

The last in a series of the last 10 years as a United fan. It's not a cheery tale, but one that needs to be told.

Too much commotion

28/1/2021 8:54 pm  #75

Board footera