Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

06/3/2019 9:08 am  #26

Re: Tony Asghar Q+A

I'm getting that your misdirected question was born out of hurt Redford.
I've not been right for a couple of days either, some would say longer!

Still a very good question tho & I imagine he might have an opinion on it

Last edited by smedDUm (06/3/2019 9:57 am)

06/3/2019 9:57 am  #27

Where is Laurie Ellis ?

Are you looking at why the players aged 8 to 11 are in the main choosing Dundee FC to sign pro youth?  

06/3/2019 10:06 am  #28

B_Bombscare wrote:

Where is Laurie Ellis ?

Are you looking at why the players aged 8 to 11 are in the main choosing Dundee FC to sign pro youth?  

Maybe the attraction of the Campy New?

06/3/2019 10:41 am  #29

Can you and Mal please try a Nichols peh then come to deal to bring them back and get the current facilities away to fuck, once you've tried the Nichols peh you'll know what the fuss is aboot 

Cheers 

06/3/2019 4:31 pm  #30

Chaps,

Final questions for Tony have to be submitted by 10pm tonight.

Thanks.

06/3/2019 6:50 pm  #31

Can you explain the current process with regards to signing a player at the club these days, the chain of command etc?

And does it differ from the way things were done before?

06/3/2019 8:20 pm  #32

How can we start to win big games again would the management team consider 2 up front with added psychologist sessions pre match?

06/3/2019 8:52 pm  #33

B_Bombscare wrote:

Where is Laurie Ellis ?

So they can travel around Scotland playing Ayr & Elgin
Instead of the Glasgow and Edinburgh teams

Saved TA answering that one

06/3/2019 9:48 pm  #34

Tony,

I am concerned (with the current squad) that if we were to get promoted this season that we would be in danger of dropping back down from the Premiership next season.

I am sure (as usual) there will be players leaving Tannadice in the Summer and more coming in the other way.

Have we a list of players for both outcomes i.e. Championship and Premiership football?

If so, if we are playing Premiership football in August, just how many players do you envisage being signed in the Summer transfer window?

Will there be an effort to sign some players with pace? Because I feel this is a quality in our play we really lack (and have done for some time).

06/3/2019 10:48 pm  #35

Would you consider bringing in sports/football psychologists and/or motivational professionals?

Our predicament is maybe rare but not absolutely unique.

Highest pressure matches are lost more than won and especially those that have been hyped up most and live on TV as pointed out recently with some fkn horrific stats.

I'm a believer in the law of averages to an extent but wonder what can/should be done to help change things for the better.

What are your thoughts in this respect?

07/3/2019 1:17 am  #36

Where do you see Dundee United in 5 years time?

And is Tony Asghar still part of the furniture at Tannadice in 2024, all being well?

07/3/2019 1:24 am  #37

Thanks for all the questions, everyone.

I will send them to Pat Reilly who will email them over to Tony, who will respond in the next few days.

13/3/2019 7:03 pm  #38

Tek wrote:

I will send them to Pat Reilly who will email them over to Tony, who will respond in the next few days.

When are we expecting Tony's response? He's had the questions for 6 days. Is he sitting with his "collective" or are the questions so demanding they have had to form a "silo" and pass them down the "hierarchy" to Southern or even Jig?

13/3/2019 7:27 pm  #39

How many times over your school years did Tony steal your sweets Macbonzo

13/3/2019 7:42 pm  #40

Believe it or not, Tony and I got on quite well. He's a nice guy. Stealing my sweets I would have got over, it's destroying my club that bothers me

13/3/2019 7:54 pm  #41

Macbonzo wrote:

Believe it or not, Tony and I got on quite well. He's a nice guy. Stealing my sweets I would have got over, it's destroying my club that bothers me

Fuck Thompson near destroyed the club. Ashgars only in the door.

13/3/2019 8:05 pm  #42

Macbonzo wrote:

Ok..

So you register on here around the time Tony became involved with Utd and you are concerned about him ruining the club... Why do you think that he will destroy Dundee Utd? 

Remembering here that he is a sporting director of the club. Tony has alot to do with the player side of things where as Mal Brannigan is more involved in the business side day to day running of the club overall. Both under the owners who can make the axe fall on either or both at any time if they dont think they are doing what is best for the club.

13/3/2019 8:12 pm  #43

Macbonzo wrote:

Tek wrote:

When are we expecting Tony's response? He's had the questions for 6 days. Is he sitting with his "collective" or are the questions so demanding they have had to form a "silo" and pass them down the "hierarchy" to Southern or even Jig?

It's Pat that has been the man taking the reigns on this one.

But he did say (Asghar) that he's been busy and his replies might take a few days.

As much as i would like his priority to be getting back to us all on TT asap, i doubt it is, somehow.

Have patience. He was good enough to agree to the Q+A, so i'm confident his replies will be in over the next few days.

13/3/2019 8:35 pm  #44

bowers wrote:

Macbonzo wrote:

Ok..

So you register on here around the time Tony became involved with Utd and you are concerned about him ruining the club... Why do you think that he will destroy Dundee Utd? 

Remembering here that he is a sporting director of the club. Tony has alot to do with the player side of things where as Mal Brannigan is more involved in the business side day to day running of the club overall. Both under the owners who can make the axe fall on either or both at any time if they dont think they are doing what is best for the club.

Fair question.

Tony has completed a course in Masters in Sporting Directorship. Personally, I have looked at the content of the course and the course teaching staff. What struck me was that many of the teaching staff were not published at all. The content of the course: psychology, business, organisational theory, legal seems to me a mismatch of subjects cobbled together designed to appear innovative. The rest of the course seems to be a glorified networking opportunity.

On the organisational side, Tom Peters, Rosabeth Moss Kanter, Peter Drucker, Michael Porter have been leaders in this field for the last three decades. They are all American. On the psychology side apart from Professor Steve Peters at Liverpool Uni the leaders in performance psychology are predominantly American.

While I have no doubt that Tony will give it his all, his position is at best experimental and he is applying a lot of theory to a Championship football club. Can you think of any other club in Scotland who have a Sporting Director, General Manager and Someone else (Southern) whose job description I am unclear of?

What do you think of the MSD course content?

13/3/2019 8:39 pm  #45

blackandtangerine wrote:

Macbonzo wrote:

So many folk said fuck all when Thompson and Martin spent 5 years wrecking us, but some folk are accusing the new guys of destroying us 5 months.  Unbelievable.

Yes the new guys need to earn trust and the support should be vigilant and vocal if it’s heading the wrong way, but ffs give them a chance to earn that trust, they’ve got a lot to fix.

13/3/2019 9:11 pm  #46

TheShed wrote:

blackandtangerine wrote:

Macbonzo wrote:

So many folk said fuck all when Thompson and Martin spent 5 years wrecking us, but some folk are accusing the new guys of destroying us 5 months.  Unbelievable.

Yes the new guys need to earn trust and the support should be vigilant and vocal if it’s heading the wrong way, but ffs give them a chance to earn that trust, they’ve got a lot to fix.

Correct.

13/3/2019 9:14 pm  #47

Locking this for the time being.

Tony's replies are in and i will copy n paste them all now.

He has answered in great detail almost all the questions.

13/3/2019 9:35 pm  #48

Q1) Why do we keep bottling it when we are live on tv? Has anyone asked the manager? Serious question btw. - Lifesanocean

This question has followed on from our last-minute loss to Inverness Caley Thistle, and while you have taken the viewpoint that the players are not able to play to the best of their ability during TV games then I would disagree. We have made a lot of changes in January, and, as with any sporting organisation undergoing a process of change, we need to adapt quickly to these changes or this will lead to defeats and poor performances.

However, we are working on these things and are improving every day. From an external viewpoint, I would also express that the support can also play a huge role during games as the frustrations and quick criticisms of DUFC supporters can create negativity in the players. I’m not saying this is a main factor but it’s all part of the small things that together effect performance. This can be a clear advantage to opposing teams and something we all have to work together to change. On Saturday at Firhill we were booed off at half time and whilst the fans have every right to their opinion and vent their frustration it is possible that this is not good for the bigger picture. If you look at both the  St Mirren game and the home game at Morton the lift the players got from the fans backing was superb. This is something the Head Coach has said this in a number of interviews - the power of the 12th man.That said, every player in the current squad knows the level we are trying to achieve.We are all here to win games and be successful and secure promotion.

Everyone plays their part: From the Groundsman to the Chairman and this includes our support. I understand that the last few years have been difficult, but my challenge is to improve performance at Dundee United and during match days we need the fans to have that same vision and believe in what we are doing

13/3/2019 9:37 pm  #49

Q2) It has been stated that we are to step things up with regards to the football academy side of things, as this is deemed to be the way forward for United. How are you/the club hoping to go about this and reverse the damage caused to our youth set up by Jackie McNamara and Stephen Thomson? - Macho Man

There has been a clear strategy set out for the Dundee United FC Academy which was the main part of why the Club was attractive to the owners. DUFC have been able to develop their own players to make the Club successful and then maximise the financial investment by selling players at the right time and have the next players fill the gaps.

We have been quite clear on this policy and the owners, Board, MD, myself and Head Coach are all in favour of progressing the Academy players into the first team.
We have made changes by appointing Andy Goldie from the SFA who has a track record of developing youth players for Scotland youth squads. However, young players are different now from the times of Goodwillie, Russell and Souttar.

There is much more to think about with parents more involved in the process, agents, English teams courting the best players early and the culture of young players and how to deal with them psychologically as well as technically and physically.

Andy has a long-term plan in place and will work with Brian Grant who will be the conduit for players between Academy and first team and work on where and when to loan players for their development, monitor these players and mentor them on an individual basis where they are between the U18s, Reserves and first-team.

This will hopefully allow us to evidence how the player needs improving, and if he will be able to achieve the first team, rather than making rash decisions based on little reporting.

Case in point; Anders Lingard at Manchester United was not sufficiently developed to play in his age group or development U23 squad because he hadn’t fully developed physically and therefore psychologically so at 20 years old played with the younger ages until he was ready. Now he is an England international.

Our clear Academy strategy is like any school - to prepare the players for first team football.
I can’t speak for what went on before but from working with DUFC in other capacities as an agent and I organised a lot of pre-season training camps and matches as well as watching a lot of academy games.

When my son played DUFC, I know that the Levien era and McNamara era were the most successful in terms of developing players. In fact, Jamie Robson made his debut as a 17-year-old under Jackie and we could have lost Jamie but now he is an important part of the first team squad

13/3/2019 9:42 pm  #50

Q3) What are your thoughts on how things have progressed since you started working for the club and in your opinion what are the most important/beneficial changes that have been made (outwith the January transfer activity) since you, Mal Brannigan and the Ogrens have arrived at Tannadice? - Macho Man

We are nearly three months in and certainly from a performance side I feel that we are making gradual improvements. My job is to oversee performance and look at the long-term strategy - Recruitment, Academy, Sports Science and Medical and First team along with the head coach but another part is the performance culture, creating a DUFC player DNA, coach and football staff education and development.

We are an elite sporting organisation that historically have played in European finals and won top leagues and cups and had international players grace Tannadice. My job is to create this again but it’s not an overnight job and working with one of the best coaches in Scotland to create that is making it easier, however we still have the short-term task of promotion to deal with, and Robbie is currently laser-focused on that along with his coaching staff and football dept staff.

Therefore, the expectations of media, supporters and others when a new owner comes in, and they expect instant success is slightly naive, it can be a harder challenge because you need buy-in from the existing players and staff and then try to implement new methods and processes which may be different to how they worked before.

The main thing is to obtain TRUST among everyone.
So the positivity surrounding our new signings in January saw a change and this led to good results, so that was a change but possibly some supporters now lack belief, and that is not a good change and one that we need to rectify. What I will say is from a performance side that to put in good practices, and mindset you need to invest in the best talent that can fit into the vision and values.

The changes in coaching and recruitment and Academy were identified and fitted into our new methodology, and this does not detract from the people they replaced, but we have a clear intention of the type of personnel we need to lead the Club in the various departments who are now in post.

Board footera