Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03/11/2014 5:42 pm  #1

The Appointment of Craig Levein as Manager

Forgot to post this at the weekend.

Was 8 years on Saturday that we appointed Craig Levein as Manager.

A truly great day in the recent history of our club.

From the day he took office in Tannadice to the present day,we have never looked back.

I will always hold him in the utmost regard and with great affection for what he done for our club.

03/11/2014 5:46 pm  #2

Re: The Appointment of Craig Levein as Manager

Gave us our pride back.  A very intimidating man to speak to.  I'm 6'1 and he is at least a couple of inches taller than me and when I spoke to him after a prizegiving I was shitting myself.  He has this piercing gaze that appears to just look right through you.  Just what we needed at the time.  I loved watching us run the legs off teams when he was manager.  However, his post split record was pish for some reason.

Last edited by lifesanocean (03/11/2014 6:00 pm)

Too much commotion

03/11/2014 5:53 pm  #3

Anyone who has Arabzone,go to the match archive and click on V Rangers 24/3/10 (the Davie Robertson last minute Treble Buster).Go to Manager's interview.

Houstie is conducting his post-match interview,when a group of Utd employees walk by laughing and doing the 'hands-up for Jon Daly' routine.Suddenly somebody bear hugs Houstie and when he turns round it's Levein who's grinning like a cheshire Cat.

Levein later conducts his own interview with Arabzone (again grinning like a Cheshire Cat) and despite being Scotland Manager admits that he is absolutely delighted and was cheering like a fan when the winner went in.He signs off with 'Go on ya wee dancer' Lolz.

03/11/2014 5:58 pm  #4

A right Hertz bastard but ultimately done a fantastic job as manager

Yeah yeah Industrial Estate

03/11/2014 6:23 pm  #5

huntedbyafreak wrote:

The team we gave the most doing's to under his stewardship was,ironically,Hearts.

Used to gub them for fun.mind Barry Robson scoring two hat-tricks against them in 4-1 wins (same season,i think?).

Lost the most important one right enough when we only needed a draw to confirm Europa qualification and got uncharachteristically gubbed.

03/11/2014 6:57 pm  #6

TEK wrote:

A truly great day in the recent history of our club.

From the day he took office in Tannadice to the present day,we have never looked back.

I will always hold him in the utmost regard and with great affection for what he done for our club.

This.

03/11/2014 7:02 pm  #7

Meant to post the same on Saturday TEK, was listening to Radio Tay cash for kids and 8 years ago on the same Cash for Kids Saturday I was helping out at Tay Towers.

I was on the phones with Dick Donnelly taking bids for auction items, and also pledges from BNB's who would offer "a tenner for every goal United conceded today".

We lost 5-1 at Falkirk if memory serves and Dick told me then that Brewster was gone, I went to the Snug after I finished my shift about 6 and met some boys of the bus, the anger was unreal, felt rock bottom that day.

Levein set this club up for success over the next 20 years, 8 years in I'd say we have done incredibly well but should have had 3 and not only 1 trophy to show for it.

03/11/2014 8:22 pm  #8

Best thing that happened to United along time, although Brewsters contribution should not be forgotten - cleared out the dead would and made some excellent signings, just a shame it never transfered onto the field.

03/11/2014 9:20 pm  #9

european_bob wrote:

Best thing that happened to United along time, although Brewsters contribution should not be forgotten - cleared out the dead would and made some excellent signings, just a shame it never transfered onto the field.

Bang on Bob.

He also appointed Stevie Campbell.

03/11/2014 9:43 pm  #10

TEK wrote:

huntedbyafreak wrote:

The team we gave the most doing's to under his stewardship was,ironically,Hearts.

Used to gub them for fun.mind Barry Robson scoring two hat-tricks against them in 4-1 wins (same season,i think?).

Lost the most important one right enough when we only needed a draw to confirm Europa qualification and got uncharachteristically gubbed.

I was at that game.  We were fucking shite.  He decided to play David Robertson right midfield in front of Sean Dillon and Lee Wallace had a field day. He then subbied Dillo after 20 mins when we were already 2-0 down. Wilkie and Dodds also had complete mare's and flogged the 2nd or third goals between them. Pretty sure he played Goodie and Sandaza up front together which sounded good on paper but Sandaza spent the whole game on his arse moaning at the ref due to Marius 'Octopus Arms' Zaliukis hauling him down every chance he got (and getting away with it) before being hooked at half time.  This was back in the Craig Conway FFS days when he couldn't beat a man or cross the ball. Bad day.

Last edited by lifesanocean (03/11/2014 9:50 pm)

Too much commotion

03/11/2014 10:07 pm  #11

Saved Dundee united.

03/11/2014 11:03 pm  #12

More or less did Rodge,aye.

The club was steeped in a 'losers mentality' for years.We celebrated escaping relegation like we'd won a Cup.

All that changed the day Levein entered Tannadice.

He turned us into winners.Or at least instilled a winning mentality into the players,coaches,and by association the support.

03/11/2014 11:14 pm  #13

lifesanocean wrote:

TEK wrote:

huntedbyafreak wrote:

I was at that game.  We were fucking shite.  He decided to play David Robertson right midfield in front of Sean Dillon and Lee Wallace had a field day. He then subbied Dillo after 20 mins when we were already 2-0 down. Wilkie and Dodds also had complete mare's and flogged the 2nd or third goals between them. Pretty sure he played Goodie and Sandaza up front together which sounded good on paper but Sandaza spent the whole game on his arse moaning at the ref due to Marius 'Octopus Arms' Zaliukis hauling him down every chance he got (and getting away with it) before being hooked at half time.  This was back in the Craig Conway FFS days when he couldn't beat a man or cross the ball. Bad day.

Sandaza spent the whole game diving then went off injured.

Smertdaza

Yeah yeah Industrial Estate

04/11/2014 1:55 am  #14

Discipline. The greatest thing he done here. No going out and spunking needless cash away, he got the right scouts In which to this day has been a masterstroke. He also Installed It on the pitch, aye Goodie fucked up but CL really worked wonders on him before he nearly stopped us from going close to admin when we sold him. Would love to see CL back here one day.

Last edited by RogerTheAlien (04/11/2014 1:58 am)

04/11/2014 1:45 pm  #15

Always remember being at his first game in charge. Well how could you forget it?! Set the tone straight away. He turned us into a team/club again.

04/11/2014 10:57 pm  #16

Fixed the defence almost overnight and got us back on track.

Still believe he had the attitude that if they don't score we won't lose while I'm more an advocate of score more than them and we'll win. Houstie had some success when he unshackled the team slightly.

05/11/2014 3:04 am  #17

He went from 3k a week to 7k a week, understand why he left. Was so gutted when he went.

Board footera