Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13/6/2018 9:50 pm  #51

Re: Andy McLaren Q+A - Wednesday 13th June (8-9pm)

Ok chaps, Andy's been online for 2 hours now and has to split. But he's phoned me the now and said he enjoyed the Q+A and will be back on tomorrow night to answer as many of the unanswered questions as poss.👍

13/6/2018 9:52 pm  #52

Great stuff TEK and thanks very much Andy 👍

Too much commotion

13/6/2018 9:53 pm  #53

Hi Andy, didna have a question but enjoyed reading your answers. Thanks for that and your time at Tannadice. Enjoyed if that's the right word, your book and appreciate having the life I've had when I see the difficulties you gone through. Well done on doing the education bit for the kids.

Bring back the (real) "United Way" not the kiddy-on Martin version

13/6/2018 10:06 pm  #54

Good stuff Andy. 👍

13/6/2018 10:15 pm  #55

That was quality !

13/6/2018 10:49 pm  #56

McLaren73 wrote:

Thanks for the kind words

I was only blowin' smoke up your arse, so you would answer my question FFS,

Only joshin', thanks very much for taking the time to come on here and answer our questions, good insights and a good laugh also, lord knows there's been a shortage of that at Tannadice lately, you sound and act like a guy who kens how important it is to be part of things, and that it really doesn't take too much in the long run to make others happy, I can't talk for others but your Q&A was superb, (especially the bit about your brother, I burst oot laughin' on the train, got some funny looks but FAF, sorry for your brother, but I couldn't stop thinking about wee Jims face, when he got telt)

Anyways all the best Andy from a happy arab.

Forgot to say, them words were meant and heartfelt.

Last edited by arabchanter (13/6/2018 11:10 pm)

I don't know a lot, but I know what I like!

13/6/2018 10:51 pm  #57

Hats aff to you Tek, well done on organising this.  

I don't know a lot, but I know what I like!

14/6/2018 8:57 am  #58

McLaren73 wrote:

kiwiarab wrote:

hello, sadly due to the time difference i am working

firstly a massive thank you Andy for your achievements in the tangerine jersey, 94 cup final will always be in my heart

question - last minute of the play off game at home to thistle, can you remember what you were thinking and how did you find the composure and skill in such a crucial moment?

I honestly can’t remember what I was thinking don’t think I was aware how close it was to the final whistle I was just trying to get the ball in the box it was total instinct how I managed to wriggle clear

Thanks Andy, really interesting reading your answers tonight and bought back a lot of happy memories. All the best to you and yours. 

14/6/2018 9:21 am  #59

Thanks to Andy for doing this and Tek for organising.  Arabest Andy!

14/6/2018 10:29 am  #60

Is it too late for this question?
Andy, if you had your time over again would you do anything different & a related question, what advice would you give to a 17-y-o Andy McLaren today?

14/6/2018 10:31 am  #61

McLaren73 wrote:

Macho Man wrote:

I'm not going to be able to be on here tonight, so if I can ask a question now to be answered later, it would be - on the back of a tremendous, calm cool and unwavering display during your scene in The Angels Share, do you reckon you were a better actor than Charlie Miller, or has he got a better chance of making it in Hollywood than you?

​Also, what do you miss most about being a Dundee United player and why?

Haha don’t think me or Charlie have to worry about Hollywood after our cameos I actually had a speaking part which was thankfully cut I miss the friendships running out a tannadice and most of all winning the fans were always great with me also even though I could be pretty frustrating at times

I bet being in a film is a great experience.  I'd love to be in a film or even just have a part as an extra, but I've definitely got a face for the radio.

​One of the things that I loved about the United team of your era and before that was there always seemed to be a real team spirit between the players both on and off the field and normally you were all very approachable.

​I know you said you could be frustrating at times, but if you compare your performance levels to some of todays players you have nothing to worry about.

​Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions.  All the best.

Oooooohhhh yeeeeeaaaaaah!!

14/6/2018 11:28 am  #62

Thank you,Andy for the answers.

McCall was certainly a 'bawbag' and more.

14/6/2018 11:51 am  #63

It's funny Andy should mention King Kenny. I first saw Andy play in a Youth Cup Final ( or was it a semi) against Motherwell, I thin,k and he terrorised the opposition defence. I was raving to mates that we had the new Dalglish coming up through the ranks. Never quite turned out like that for one reason or the other but a tremendously tricky winger when he was on form - a great wee player on his day  

14/6/2018 2:37 pm  #64

Lads, Andy has kindly told me that he's coming back on later tonight.

So it's not too late to get a question in if you missed the chance to do so.

14/6/2018 9:03 pm  #65

Asked him on twitter and said will be back at 9pm but can’t type well 🤣🤣

14/6/2018 9:56 pm  #66

shedboy wrote:

haha he on the lash then? could be a classic thread anyway he did his bit so if he isnt still think he has been a legend and for tek organising

Def not on lash. Crap typing skills 🤣

14/6/2018 9:59 pm  #67

Glasgow is tangerine wrote:

Back in the day what was your favourite nightspot in Dundee and Glasgow? 

In Dundee it was the Mardi and in Glasgow it was my local pub in Castlemilk Bennigans where me and all my mates would meet up.

14/6/2018 10:01 pm  #68

Glasgow is tangerine wrote:

My last question then Andy.

Who was faster you or Jerren Nixon? 

Oh and who do you think will win the World Cup starting tomorrow?

p.s. thanks for your time 👏

Jerren was quicker but i was better 😂😂

I think Argentina will win the World Cup and i hope they do.

Tipped them to win it with Messi finishing top scorer.

14/6/2018 10:04 pm  #69

shomac28 wrote:

Had a few initial discussions a wee while back and might be involved in a couple of things.

Would like to be able to come up to Tannadice and speak to the young players and pass on my experience to them and how to keep on the straight and narrow and avoid the temptations that i unfortunately never.

I'd like to go round the country and talk to young players at lots of clubs.

14/6/2018 10:09 pm  #70

McLaren73 wrote:

Arabnophobia wrote:

Can you tell us about a good caper whilst at United you've never publically told yet?

Dinnae feel like you have to hud back.

Watching big dunc kick the shit out of 4 guys on his own springs to mind😂😂

Was that doon the toon bud?

14/6/2018 10:11 pm  #71

McLaren73 wrote:

shomac28 wrote:

Had a few initial discussions a wee while back and might be involved in a couple of things.

Would like to be able to come up to Tannadice and speak to the young players and pass on my experience to them and how to keep on the straight and narrow and avoid the temptations that i unfortunately never.

I'd like to go round the country and talk to young players at lots of clubs.

Thanks. I think it would be a great thing to do. Especially with the money some get.
Be good to see you involved with something at Tannadice. Thanks for taking the time to so the q&a and thanks Tek for organising.

14/6/2018 10:11 pm  #72

Andy - if you are still around, would you rather be attacked by a horse sized duck or 10 duck sized horses

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

14/6/2018 10:14 pm  #73

Hi Andy, thanks for giving up your time to do this!

Is there any players that have been at United since you left that you would have particularly liked to play alongside?

14/6/2018 10:26 pm  #74

Tek wrote:

Evening Andy.

Thank you so much for joining us on here mate.

​My first question is the same one i always ask each ex-pro on here....

​Who was the BEST player you played WITH 

and

AGAINST?

​Thought i had answered this but must have mucked up sending it. Best player i played with was David Narey.I was actually a bit in awe of him when i first joined United and i'm not someone who normally gets like that. i had grew up watching him scoring against Brazil in the World cup and playing some of the best teams in europe.To be playing in the same team as him just 8 or 9 years later was unbelievable. He was such a gent and unassuming guy. I actually never really spoke to him that much over the years because he just kept himself to himself and was such a humble guy.I mind going a team night out once and Ray McKinnon was steaming and kept calling him a legend "you're a legend..a legend" and big Sasha was just smiling away.I don't think he knows how respected he was all the players looked up to him.

​The best i played against in Scotland was Larsson,Laudrup and Gazza. I played against some tremendous players for Scotland at youth level Figo,Rui Costa,Panucci,Christian Vieri. I also played against Lothar Mathaeus,Oliver Kahn and Jean Pierrie Papin for United when we played against Bayern Munich in a friendly in Malaysia.That was actually an incredible experience there was about 100,000 or more fans in the stadium because they were using the match as a warm up towards hosting the commonwealth games i think. Huge crowd with helicopters overhead the works.We actually drew 1 each with them after Badger equalised for us.

14/6/2018 10:28 pm  #75

motherwellarab wrote:

Will dundee united win championship this coming season?

​In a word aye i think they will. But i don't know if that's my heart ruling my head saying that.It's definitely gonna be tough because there is a few teams down there now who have years of Premier league experience like Partick,County,Inverness,Falkirk,Dunfermline etc.

Last edited by McLaren73 (14/6/2018 11:10 pm)

Board footera