Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

08/8/2018 12:47 am  #1301

Re: 1001 albums you must hear before you die

PatReilly wrote:

A/C, I should like Aerosmith, but my favourite song of theirs is from the previous 1001 album, covered in 1985. It's not listed as their song, and was the first time I mind of two bands mixing their talents on a songs. Or something like that.

You'll can guess what it is, I'm sure.

No excuses needed for playing this one (I hope I'm right?)

I don't know a lot, but I know what I like!

08/8/2018 10:13 am  #1302

DAY 362.
The Penguin Cafe Orchestra......................................Music From The Penguin Cafe   (1976)

This was a strange one, never heard of said group, but spoke to an old fella I know from the pub who used to work as a sound/editor or something like that in London, and when I told I had this album to listen to, he said "you'll recognise a lot of it as it's been used in various documentaries and adverts, it's very good for this because there's no top line in most of it, which makes it easier to do voice overs"

Anyways gave it a listen and have to say it's a bit of a enigma, plodding along quite merrily than just when you think this is alright they throw in some odd weird sounding track, the old boy was right, there is a sense of familiarity about some of the music, but I couldn't tell you where from. My favourite track was "Giles Farnaby's Dream"

I'd have to say for me, 90% was listenable, but 10% utter keech, this was an interesting listen but not one I care to re-visit any time soon, this album wont be getting purchased.

Bits & Bobs;

Musical projects come together in strange ways and inspiration emanates from just as many bizarre encounters in life but amongst one of the stranger bands with an even stranger origin is the hard to classify PENGUIN CAFE ORCHESTRA which was conjured up when the founder Simon Jeffes was on vacation in the south of France in 1972-73 and got food poisoning from rancid shellfish. He spent several days in a delirious fever and had visions or nightmares rather of a future where everyone lived in big concrete buildings and spent their lives gazing into screens with cameras in everyone's rooms spying on them. In this same vision there were other choices and down a dusty road there was an alternative reality where an old building offered a refuge from the George Orwellian had finally taken over completely. The unique sanctuary space was called the PENGUIN CAFE and after that disillusive experience Jeffes would create the ORCHESTRA part of the equation to provide entertainment for all the desperate souls trying to escape the cookie cutter approach of musical composition.
Many of these visions stemmed from the fact that Jeffes was not only disenchanted with the rigidity of the classical music world but also sought refuge from the ostensive limitations of the popular rock universe. He became extremely attracted to various ethnic musical sources as well as the spirit and immediacy of folk music and began this new band with cellist Helen Liebmann to create a bizarre blend of modern classical music fused with instrumental folk, psychedelia (including electronica) and avant-pop. After finding a couple more musicians with Steve Nye adding electric piano and Gavyn Wright providing the violin, Jeffes spent the next few years constructing compositions for his new style of music and which caught the attention of Brian Eno who released the first album MUSIC FROM THE PENGUIN CAFE on his Obscure record label which depicts the scenes of a PENGUIN and human visitor with a mask on who was evidently attempting to escape that Big Brother dystopia that the world had become, a scene that reprises throughout the band's discography.

While PENGUIN CAFE ORCHESTRA seems to be primarily based in an ethnic and sometimes gypsy folk type of sound, it really ventures into many different musical arenas. While the first track "Penguin Cafe Single" sounds as if it's the theme song for the journey into the musical refuge that finds its way around a cello and violin based pop melody with excursions into folk and psychedelic territory, the true gem follows immediately with the seven piece suite "Zopf" which adds the additional musical contributions of Neil Rennie on ukelele and Emily Young providing the only vocal performances on the album. This multilayered suite takes a journey into an eclectic musical ride that begins with a melodic mellow rock and ska piece and continues to create an ever stranger soundscape as it ventures into avant-folk, lugubrious violin-drenched modern classical, an avant-prog type vocal sequence titled "Milk," a traditional sounding avant-opera, a "La Bamba" type of Latin rhythm and ends in a slow dreamy psychedelic build up of hypnotic electronic sounds that become more and more discordant with atonal counterpoints and an ominous atmosphere that sounds like something the electronic band Coil would delve into.

The following three tracks are quite "normal" sounding after the wild ride of "Zopf" ending the album with a more lighthearted chamber folk type of sound. The band would garner enough attention to score a supporting gig for Kraftwerk in 1976 and despite never really becoming a household name has remained somewhat of a cult anomaly favorite in the underground music world. A strange album this is indeed because every time you think you can pigeonhole it into some sort of specific genre it adds some sort of contradictory elements that take you somewhere you've never been before. MUSIC FROM THE PENGUIN CAFE does very much evoke the strange conditions in which the inspiration emanated from. It has a dreamy psychedelic quality to it with a fuzzy notion of what reality should be with rhythms and cadences that sound somewhat familiar but so very different from anything else around them. The album never really gets aggressive and remains firmly chilled out never turning the heat up above simmer but what it achieves is creating a surreal folky chamber music pot of quirkiness. A very interesting folk based album with the exquisite "Zopf" suite being the cream of the crop.

08/8/2018 11:43 am  #1303

DAY 364.
Ramones......................................Ramones   (1976)

Recorded in two days for a meagre $6,000, "Ramones" stripped rock back to it's basic elements. There is no guitar solos , and no lengthy fantasy epics , in itself a revolutionary declaration in a time of Zeppelin inspired hard-rock excess.

Pushed along by Johnny Ramone's furious four chord guitar and Tommy's thumping surf drums, all the tracks clock in under three minutes . And while the songs are short and sharp, the groups love of the 1950s drive-through rock and girl group pop means they are also melodically sweet.

Oh ye fucker, I love this album

08/8/2018 8:00 pm  #1304

arabchanter wrote:

PatReilly wrote:

A/C, I should like Aerosmith, but my favourite song of theirs is from the previous 1001 album, covered in 1985. It's not listed as their song, and was the first time I mind of two bands mixing their talents on a songs. Or something like that.

Of course.

Mothership Connection is an ok album given the right atmosphere/company.

Music From The Penguin Cafe: makes me recall the closing scenes from Napoleon Dynamite:

08/8/2018 11:47 pm  #1305

PatReilly wrote:

arabchanter wrote:

PatReilly wrote:

Of course.

Mothership Connection is an ok album given the right atmosphere/company.

Music From The Penguin Cafe: makes me recall the closing scenes from Napoleon Dynamite:

Good spot Pat, didn't know that was them, but hardly surprising as I hadn't heard of them before, Simon Jeffes wrote this eight years after this album was released.

09/8/2018 12:35 am  #1306

DAY 363.
Jean Michel Jarre.............................................Oxygene   (1976)

What a load of pish, this for me smacks of a laddie who wants desperately to upstage his old man, but in my humbles falls sadly short of the mark. Jarre's father Maurice won three Oscars for film scores, they were for, in 1962 "Lawrence Of Arabia," in  1965 "Dr Zhivago," and  in 1984 "A Passage To India," he also won several Golden Globes and Baftas.

Anyways to the album, the first track kinda made my mind up aboot the album, ok i've had a few but close your eyes and listen and see what picture it paints? For me I get a Wagnerian heroine attired in her usual garb
including her viking style hat swimming in a ginormous wine glass, meanwhile Jarre is making the wine glass sing by wetting his fingers and running his finger around the rim of the crystal glass, at the same time time the fat lady is slyly letting some pressure off, and giving the contents of the glass a kinda jacuzzi affect which is audibly noticeable by the slow bubbly sounds.

Ok, probably just me then, anyways the rest of the album was just freestyle, wiggle meh fingers and we'll see what it sounds like pish, in my humbles, and thon Oxygene part 4 although catchy and the least honking track, just became nauseating the longer it went on.

As you have probably guessed this album'll no' be coming near meh vinyl collection.

Bits & Bobs;
Having followed formal studies of harmony and counterpoint at the Conservatoire de Paris, he was inspired to reinvent music at its core, with his own singular vision, deploying the technology and tools of his epoch.

Between 1968 and 1972, after having worked with Pierre Schaeffer in the GRM (Group for Musical Research), he composes and produces a series of electronic music pieces ; The Cage, Deserted Palace…1971 : He is the first composer to introduce electronic music into the sanctuary of the Paris Opera House, with the ballet AOR .In 1972 he composes the original soundtrack for Jean Chapot’s Les Granges Brûlées starring Alain Delon and Simone Signoret and in 1978 Peter Fleischmann’s The Sickness of Hamburg.

During 1973-74 he composes and/or writes the lyrics for, and artistically produces, major French talent, Françoise Hardy, Gérard Lenorman and Christophe’s two key albums, Les Paradis Perdus and Les Mots Bleus.

He also signs the staging and direction of Christophe’s two concerts at the Olympia Theatre, in Paris. 1974-75 brings him to Los Angeles where he writes and produces two albums for Patrick Juvet, Mort ou Vif (l’Enfant aux Cheveux Blancs, Faut pas rêver) and Paris by Night (Où sont les femmes?). He works with Herbie Hancock’s musicians and Ray Parker Junior.

In 1976, he hits the top of the charts worldwide with breakthrough album Oxygene (Prix de l’Académie Charles Cros in France). This international success in French record history remains unequalled today with sales in the region of 12 million.

"Oxygene part IV"

This was Jarre's only Top 10 hit in the UK Singles chart.

Jean-Michel Jarre is a French synthesizer player. In 1967 he abandoned his musical studies to experiment with synthesizers. The Oxygène album was the French composer's big breakthrough after initial difficulties in getting the record released due to its entirely instrumental composition. Oxygène and its follow-up Equinoxe were huge commercial successes and helped elevate the synthesizer to new peaks of popularity. In addition to "Oxygène (Part IV)," Jarre enjoyed 2 other UK Top 20 singles, "Oxygène 8" (#17 in 1997) and "Rendez-Vous 98" (#12 1998). In addition to his recording successes, he is renowned for his extravagant concert performances. The French composer has had 4 entries in the Guinness Book Of Records for concert attendance, breaking his own total 3 times - the largest being in 1997 when he performed to 3.5 million people in Moscow. In 1981 Jarre became the first Western artist to perform in China.

In an interview with The Mail on January 12, 2008, Jarre compared the recording of the Oxygène album to cooking: "Making my music is like being a chef. It's no coincidence that Oxygène was recorded in my kitchen in Paris. I had to find the right ingredients, bringing everything to the right temperature. I don't like the preconceived idea about electronic music that it is cold, futuristic or robotic. I want my music to sound warm, human and organic. I'm not a scientist working in a laboratory - I'm more like a painter, Jackson Pollock for example, mixing color and light, experimenting with textures."

In the same interview, Jarre discussed the difficulties he had finding a record company to take him on: "Oxygène was turned down by all the record companies. It was like a UFO - it was made in the middle of the Disco and Punk eras and the record companies said, 'What is it? No singer, no proper song titles? And, on top of that, it's French!' Even my mum asked, 'Why are you giving your music the name of a gas?' Yet people talk of Oxygène now as my 'masterpiece.' When it became such a success, it was strange - a very exciting period and kind of innocent. You find you have a lot of new friends around you and it's almost as if they want the success to continue more than you."

Jarre's original inspiration for the album was a painting he bought of the Earth peeling to reveal a skull. It was by ecologically-motivated artist Michel Granger and the pair met, agreeing its use as cover art. The French composer told The Daily Telegraph: "30 years ago there weren't so many people thinking about the planet. But I've always been interested in that, not necessarily in a political way but in a poetic, surrealistic way."

Jarre in the same Daily Telegraph interview: "All those ethereal string sounds on 'Oxygène IV' come from the VCS3. It was the first European synthesizer, made in England by a guy called Peter Zinoviev. I got one of the first ones. I had to go to London in 1967 to get it, and it's the one I still have onstage 40 years later."

09/8/2018 11:38 am  #1307

DAY 365.
Fela Kuti And The Africa '70..............................................Zombie   (1976)

By 1976 Fela Anikulapo Kuti was the African superstar, a giant of twentieth-century music at his coruscating volcanic peak. Over the previous decade, Fela had created a whole new school of music......Afrobeat, it fused together the jazz and funk elements of African-American music with West African highlife, Nigerian traditional music, and Yoruba rhythms, and added the fire of a black consciousness-led political vision for Africa.....powerful, witty lyrics, and an outrageous lifestyle.

His records sold millions throughout Nigeria and West Africa: the superstars of the West (McCartney, Ginger Baker, Stevie Wonder, James Brown, Lester Bowie et al) rushed to Lagos to dig the sounds and smoke the weed.

10/8/2018 1:02 am  #1308

DAY 364.
Ramones......................................Ramones   (1976)

Nae surprises here, what a f'k'n album, 14 tracks logging in at 29:04 minutes, fuck me there is a God, this album ticks every box, for this listener at least. From the machine gun toting, anthemic, wunderbar, opening track that was  "Blitzkrieg Bop"  (but why that fuckin' advert?) speeding through to "Today Your Love, Tomorrow the World" it's the proverbial blur.

When I used to play football many moons ago, this plus the Sex Pistols used to be my pre-match listen, I liked them both as they sort of got me a bit psyched up. and motivated and focused  for the game (maybe Slaber should try playing them in the dressing room) , whether it's the lyrics or the driving music, yer never gonna chill out to this music, to pick a favourite track, as I've said before would be like picking my favourite child, it's just no' possible, I love them all the same.

Anyone that can't  appreciate this album, really needs to get a check up, from the neck up, and you might want to dust off your insurance policy as I think your nearest and dearest will be needing to cash the cunt in before long, and I bet thon Chris Montez had wished he'd met them before he released his very dull, in retrospect, "Let's Dance"

Obviously this in my humbles, and if you don't like it that's your opinion which is perfectly valid, but I would ask you to put what you know/think and put it out for the binman, stick virgin ears on and respond to how you body feels, if you want to jump around like a madman or do the dead fly fuckin' do it, but please draw the line on the spittin' if your indoors wi' the family. remember "monkey see, monkey do!"

Anyways this album will be going into my collection, and I should imagine played, at the very least on a weekly basis.

Bits & Bobs;

Onstage, they were the personification of unity – even family. The four men dressed the same –in leather motorcycle jackets, weathered jeans, sneakers – had the same dark hair color, shared the same last name. They seemed to think the same thoughts and breathe the same energy. They often didn’t stop between songs, not even as bassist Dee Dee Ramone barked out the mad “1-2-3- 4” time signature that dictated the tempo for their next number. Guitarist Johnny Ramone and drummer Tommy Ramone would slam into breakneck unison with a power that could make audience members lean back, as if they’d been slammed in the chest. Johnny and Dee Dee played with legs astride, looking unconquerable. Between them stood lead singer Joey Ramone – gangly, with dark glasses and a hair mess that fell over his eyes, protecting him from a world that had too often been unkind – proclaiming the band’s hilarious, disturbing tales of misplacement and heartbreak. There was a pleasure and spirit, a palpable commonality, in what the Ramones were doing onstage together.

When they left the stage, that fellowship fell away. They would climb into their van and ride to a hotel or their next show in silence. Two of the members, Johnny and Joey, didn’t speak to each other for most of the band’s 22-year history. It was a bitter reality for a group that, if it didn’t invent punk, certainly codified it effectively – its stance, sound and attitude, its rebellion and rejection of popular music conventions – just as Elvis Presley had done with early rock & roll. The Ramones likely inspired more bands than anybody since the Beatles; the Sex Pistols, the Clash, Nirvana, Metallica, the Misfits, Green Day and countless others have owed much of their sound and creed to what the band made possible. The Ramones made a model that almost anybody could grab hold of: basic chords, pugnacity and a noise that could lay waste to – or awaken – anything.

But they paid a heavy cost for their achievement. Much of the music world rejected them, sometimes vehemently. Others saw them as a joke that had run its course. The Ramones never had a true hit single or album, though at heart they wrote supremely melodic music. They continued for years across indifference and impediments, but the rift between the two leading members only worsened. They’re revered now – there are statues and streets and museums that honor them – and we see people wearing their T-shirts, with their blackened presidential seal, everywhere. But all four original members are gone; none of them can take pleasure in the belated prestige. The Ramones were a band that changed the world, and then died.

The Ramones didn’t share bloodlines, but they did have the important common background of coming of age in suburbia – in Forest Hills, Queens, a predominantly Jewish middle-class stronghold that bred ennui and restively ness among its nonconformist youth. The Ramones were a few years younger than their 1950s and 1960s heroes – Presley, the Beatles, the Rolling Stones – which allowed them a broader field of musical references to draw from: bubblegum pop, early heavy metal, surf music. More important, most of the original Ramones had some sort of experience of living under dominance – sometimes disconcerting, even frightful – or simply an ineradicable sense of being the wrong person in the wrong place. “People who join a band like the Ramones don’t come from stable backgrounds,” wrote Dee Dee, “because it’s not that civilized an art form. Punk rock comes from angry kids who feel like being creative.”

Drummer Tommy Ramone – who was the catalyst in pulling the band together and in molding its musical aesthetic – largely kept his backstory and hurt to himself. He was born as Tamás Erdélyi (later Anglicized into Thomas Erdelyi) in Budapest, Hungary, in January 1949. His family moved to Brooklyn in the mid-1950s – an eventful moment to arrive in the promised land. “[Hungary] was a very restrictive regime,” he told author Everett True, in Hey Ho Let’s Go: The Story of the Ramones. “You didn’t hear too much Western music. I remember the early stages of rock & roll, how much it excited me – even as a young kid I was into dressing cool, into wearing a certain type of shoes.”

In his first year at Forest Hills High, Tommy met John Cummings – later known as Johnny Ramone, the band’s oldest member, born October 8th, 1948. Johnny was charismatic and brooding, and intended to command respect. Tommy and Johnny joined a band, Tangerine Puppets – Tommy on lead guitar, Johnny on bass – that became locally notable as much for Cummings’ volatility as for their music. One time, when the Puppets were playing “Satisfaction,” according to another band member, John noticed the class president standing in the wings. “[John] ran over to him and hit him in the balls with his guitar neck,” said the band member. “He told the kid that it was an accident, but we knew John hated this kid.” Another time, Cummings got into a fight with the band’s lead singer, pummeling him onstage until the other members pulled him off. “We all liked Johnny,” Tommy said. “That anger is pure.”

Johnny was raised to be severe. His father, a hard-drinking construction worker, once made Johnny pitch a baseball game with a broken big toe: “What did I raise – a baby?” Johnny became tough and domineering, like his father. He became scary even to himself. In his autobiography, Commando, Johnny wrote, “I had been on a streak of bad, violent behavior for two years. I was just bad, every minute of the day.” He recalled hauling discarded TV sets to the tops of apartment buildings and dropping them near people on the street. He threw bricks through windows, simply to do it, and he also strong-armed people. “Then all of a sudden,” Johnny wrote, “one day everything changed. I was twenty. I was walking down the block, near my neighborhood … and I heard a voice. I don’t know what it was, God maybe … It asked, ‘What are you doing with your life? Is this what you are here for?’ It was a spiritual awakening. And I just immediately stopped everything. It was all clear-cut right then.”

Sometime later, delivering clothes for for a dry cleaner, he met Doug Colvin, known as Dee Dee. If his autobiography, Lobotomy, is to be believed, Dee Dee’s childhood was hellish. His father, an Army master sergeant stationed in Germany, moved the family back and forth between there and the U.S. His mother, he wrote, “was a drunken nut job, prone to emotional outbursts.” His parents fought brutally. “Their lives were complete chaos,” he wrote, “and they blamed it all on me.” Dee Dee was already taking narcotics in his early teens. “I couldn’t see a future for myself … Then I heard the Beatles for the first time. I got my first transistor radio, a Beatle haircut and a Beatle suit … Rock ‘n’ roll [gave] me a sense of my own identity.” When Dee Dee was about 15, his mother left his father, moving him and his sister to Forest Hills. “I can see now how it was only natural that I would gravitate toward Tommy, Joey, and Johnny Ramone,” he wrote. “They were the obvious creeps of the neighborhood … No one would have ever pegged any of us as candidates for any kind of success in life.”

Tommy, though, did. He urged Johnny and Dee Dee to form a band. He’d help them find their sound and direction; he’d worked as an audio engineer at Record Plant on sessions with Jimi Hendrix and John McLaughlin. Johnny resisted. He’d become practical-minded. “I want to be normal,” he’d tell Tommy. Also, he had seen plenty of rock & roll live – the Beatles, the Stones, Hendrix, the Doors – and had become preoccupied with Led Zeppelin. “I liked violent bands,” he said. “I hated hippies and never liked that peace-and-love shit.” Johnny told Tommy he couldn’t play guitar like any of those other musicians.

Then Johnny saw the New York Dolls, featuring singer David Johansen and guitarist Johnny Thunders. The Dolls had taken the license that David Bowie and the glitter movement had implied, and brought a new trashy democratic feasibility: Anybody could make meaningful noise. “Wow, I can do this, too,” Johnny thought. “They’re great; they’re terrible, but just great. I can do this.” Johnny finally accepted Tommy’s suggestion. He bought a $50 Mosrite (the same guitar that MC5’s Fred “Sonic” Smith and members of the Ventures played). As things developed, Dee Dee played bass, Johnny guitar; and a friend of theirs and Tommy’s joined on drums: Jeffrey Hyman.

Hyman, who became Joey Ramone, had hardships his whole life. He was born with a teratoma – a rare tumor that sometimes contains hair, teeth and bone – the size of a baseball, attached to his spine. Doctors removed the growth when Hyman was a few weeks old, but it’s possible the ordeal affected him in later years, contributing to his tendency to infections and bad blood circulation throughout his life. His parents divorced as he was approaching adolescence. His father, Noel Hyman, ran a trucking company; his mother, Charlotte, ran an art gallery. Noel had a bad temper – he once picked up Joey and threw him across a room into a wall. Joey’s lanky height and shy personality also made him a target for bullies. He wore dark glasses everywhere – even to school. “I started to spend a lot of time in the dean’s office,” he told Everett True. “I was a misfit, an outcast, a loner … The greasers were always looking to kick my ass. They’d travel in packs with fucking chains and those convertibles. They were trying to kill you. Johnny was like a greaser [for a while]. He was a hard guy.” 

When he was in his teens, Joey began behaving oddly – climbing in and out of bed repeatedly before he was ready for sleep, leaving food out of the refrigerator at night, becoming hostile with his mother when she asked him why he was acting strangely. Once, he pulled a knife on her. He started to hear voices, and could burst into inexplicable anger. In 1972, he voluntarily entered St. Vincent’s Hospital for an evaluation and was kept for a month. There, doctors diagnosed him as paranoid schizophrenic, “with minimal brain damage.” Another psychiatrist had told Joey’s mother, “He’ll most likely be a vegetable.” Not long after, his mother moved into a smaller apartment in the same building but didn’t take him along; instead, he slept on the floor of her gallery.

But by then, Joey had found his path out of a life of cutoff prospects and mental limitation. “Rock & roll was my salvation,” he said in 1999. Another time, he said, “I remember being turned on to the Beach Boys, hearing ‘Surfin’ U.S.A.’ But the Beatles really did it to me. Later on, the Stooges were a band that helped me in those dark periods – just get out the aggression.” As a teen, he rented a high-hat, and tapped along to the rhythms of the Beatles and Gary Lewis and the Playboys. Joey later discovered the epoch-changing music of David Bowie – which offered a new kind of identity and pride to nonconformists. Joey started bands and joined a glam-rock group called Sniper as lead singer, wearing a tailor-made, skintight outfit and calling himself Jeff Starship. He had already left Sniper when, in early 1974, Dee Dee asked him to join him and Johnny in their new band. When Johnny first met Joey, he thought Joey “was just a spaced-out hippie,” according to the singer’s little brother, Mickey Leigh, in his memoir, I Slept With Joey Ramone

The new bandmates began practicing in Johnny’s apartment; they determined early on that they should come up with a new song every time they met. At one of those early sessions, they discussed what to call themselves. “Dee Dee got the name ‘the Ramones’ from Paul McCartney,” Tommy said. “McCartney would call himself Paul Ramon when he checked into hotels and didn’t want to be noticed. I liked it because I thought it was ridiculous. The Ramones? That’s absurd! We all started calling ourselves Ramones because it was just a fun thing to do. There were times we were pretty lighthearted when we were putting this together.”

It would take several months to figure out what would work. would work. Dee Dee had trouble playing and singing at the same time, and Joey wasn’t any good on the drums. Tommy suggested moving Joey to lead vocalist, front and center of the band. “Joey was not my idea of a singer,” Johnny said, “and I kept telling Tommy that. I said, ‘I want a good-lookin’ guy in front.'” Dee Dee didn’t see it that way. “Joey was a perfect singer,” he said. “I wanted to get somebody real freaky, and Joey was really weird-lookin’, man, which was great for the Ramones. I think it looks better to have a singer that looks all fucked up than to have one that’s tryin’ to be Mr. Sex Symbol or something.” Later, Johnny agreed: “It was all Tommy, and it turned out to be a good move.” The Ramones also figured out what wouldn’t work: Johnny didn’t want their sound to derive from the obvious past – not from the turbulent bands that had inspired them in recent years, such as the Stooges, MC5 and the New York Dolls. “What we did,” said Johnny, “was take out everything that we didn’t like about rock & roll and use the rest, so there would be no blues influence, no long guitar solos, nothing that would get in the way of the songs.”

In the place of the rock frills was doo-wop, girl groups, bubblegum – they all loved the Bay City Rollers – and the surf rock of Brian Wilson and Jan and Dean, which informed many of the melodies, a tuneful undertow to the cacophony. When Tommy joined the band as drummer – as the story goes, none of the drummers they auditioned could play without bombast and flourishes – the Ramones’ sound came together. “I wanted to lock in with the guitar,” he told Mojo in 2011. “Most people assume that the bass and drums lock in together … But I locked in with Johnny, and Dee Dee’s bass was the underpinning of it all.” The effect was primitive but also avant-garde: harmonic ideas stacked on a rapid-fi re momentum. “We used block chording as a melodic device, and the harmonics resulting from the distortion of the amplifiers created countermelodies,” Tommy told Timothy White in Rolling Stone. “We used the wall of sound as a melodic rather than a riff form; it was like a song within a song, created by a block of chords droning.”

The Ramones played their first public show in August 1974 at New York’s CBGB – at least half a dozen songs in roughly 17 minutes. CBGB, a small, dank and narrow bar in Manhattan’s Bowery – long seen as a disreputable area, with cheap lodging and homeless alcoholics on the street – would become the vital center of New York’s cutting- edge new-music scene. The owner, Hilly Kristal, thought the Ramones’ first appearance didn’t bode well. “They were the most un-together band I’d ever heard,” he wrote later. “They kept starting and stopping – equipment breaking down – and yelling at each other.” As he’d also recall, “They’d play for 40 minutes. And 20 of them would just be the band yelling at each other.” But they became a good draw, and Kristal featured them on his stage dozens of times in the next few years. By early 1975, the Ramones had honed their presentation. Thanks to their goal of a new song every practice, they were developing a large repertoire of original material. All the members had adopted leather jackets like Johnny’s and wore torn jeans; they looked more like a gang than a band. Also, they didn’t fuck around onstage anymore – no talking among themselves, no guitar tuning, no pauses. Johnny and Tommy found that lock the drummer had described; Johnny played downstroke chord strums in eighth-note rhythms at full volume; it sounded like a force that had always existed, and couldn’t be held back.

People began to take notice. Influential columnist Lisa Robinson told music exec Danny Fields, “You’ll love this band.” When Fields, who had signed the Stooges and MC5, caught them at CBGB, he thought, “‘This is overwhelming. What more do you need?’ I loved them within the first five seconds, from the minute they started to play. I couldn’t stop and think.” After the show, Fields offered to manage them, and won the band a contract with Sire Records. Johnny felt that he and the group were ready. “By the summer of ’75,” he told road manager Monte Melnick, in On the Road With the Ramones, “I started to take it seriously. I felt that we were better than everyone else … In the New York scene, the only band I looked at as any sort of competition was the Heartbreakers [led by Johnny Thunders]. I remember seeing a clip of Led Zeppelin, they were playing in ’75 at Madison Square Garden, and I thought, ‘Oh, God, these guys are such shit.'”

The Ramones’ April 1976 debut album, Ramones, with its black-and-white photo on the cover, defined punk rock. The term “punk” had been around for many years, usually with distasteful or threatening connotations. A punk was a coward or a snitch or a sniveling villain. Sometimes it was used to signify male homosexuality; Beat author William Burroughs said, “I always thought a punk was someone who took it up the ass.” By 1975, punk came to describe a handful of emerging rock & roll artists, such as Patti Smith, who sang about people outside of society. Critics Dave Marsh and Lester Bangs began using the term “punk rock” to describe a dissonance and spirit that had owed in a continuum from the mid-1960s, including several of the American garage-rock bands that appeared on Lenny Kaye’s Nuggets collection. You could also hear that spirit in English bands, such as the Stones and early Kinks. In the late 1960s, Detroit’s Stooges and MC5, and New York’s Velvet Underground, took that dissonance further, musically and lyrically. But beginning with the Ramones, punk came to represent an aesthetic and a subculture. Actually, the opening song alone, “Blitzkrieg Bop,” did the job: noisy guitars, insistent rhythms and hurried vocals pronouncing a young generation piling into the back seat for a ride down deadman’s curve, with trouble ahead and behind. 

Some took Ramones as threatening, with songs about beating brats, sniffing glue, gunning your enemy in the back, a Green Beret male prostitute, slashing a trick to prove he’s no sissy. “We started off just wanting to be a bubblegum group,” said Johnny. “We looked at the Bay City Rollers as our competition. But we were so weird. Singing about ’53rd and 3rd,’ about some guy coming back from Vietnam and becoming a male prostitute and killing people? This is what we thought was normal.” There was also the problem that the band flirted with Nazi imagery: “I’m a shock trooper in a stupor, yes I am/I’m a Nazi schatze, y’know/I fight for Fatherland,” they sang in an early version of “Today Your Love, Tomorrow the World.” According to Melnick, after hearing the lines, Seymour Stein, the head of Sire Records, recoiled. “You can’t do that,” he said. “You can’t sing about Nazis! I’m Jewish and so are all the people at the record company.” The band – half of whom, Joey and Tommy, were Jewish – complied, up to a point. Said Johnny, “We never thought anything of the original line. We were being naive, though. If we had been bigger, there would have been a bigger deal made of it by the press.” 

Plenty of rock tastemakers hated everything about Ramones. Most American radio refused to play the music (one DJ described hurling the album “across the room”). The most succinct kiss-off review described Ramones as “the sound of 10,000 toilets flushing.” The band was undeterred. “We weren’t going to let anything knock us down,” Joey told Rolling Stone’s David Fricke in 1999. “There was always something thrown at us. It was always that way.”By the time of their U.K. tour in 1976, word of their sound and style had spread before them. Johnny disliked England, especially the audiences who spat on bands as a sign of punk affection. But he found time to give some famous advice to the Clash, who were nervous they were under-rehearsed: “We’re lousy, we can’t play,” Johnny reportedly told Joe Strummer. “If you wait until you can play, you’ll be too old to get up there.” The Ramones set the standard for a new, democratic aesthetic. “We wanted to save rock and roll,” Johnny wrote in Commando. “We weren’t against anybody….I thought the Ramones, the Sex Pistols, and the Clash were all going to become the major groups, like the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, and it would be a better world.” Later, Johnny worried that the Sex Pistols’ infamous doings – swearing on British TV; playing riotous shows on their 1978 U.S. tour and then self-imploding; bassist Sid Vicious’ subsequent arrest for murdering girlfriend Nancy Spungen – had done the Ramones and punk rock serious damage, making it reprehensible rather than merely revolutionary.

Tommy Erdelyi remained with the Ramones for two more albums, Leave Home and Rocket to Russia (both 1977). They were of a piece with the first album – they extended the sound somewhat, but kept the same dense texture. Notably, some songs were about mental illness; “Gimme Gimme Shock Treatment” and “Teenage Lobotomy” (and later “I Wanna Be Sedated”) seemed to be drawn from things that Joey and Dee Dee had witnessed or experienced.

“I think we were all trying to get as mentally unsound as possible,” said Tommy. For him, life in constant close quarters with the band had become too much. The Ramones toured steadily – playing something like 150 shows some years, spending hours and days going from city to city in a van, often finding fault with one another and erupting into fights. Once, at the Sunset Marquis hotel in Los Angeles, Johnny and Tommy got into a fierce argument. “This is my band,” Johnny yelled, “and I am the star of this band, not you! What are you gonna do about it?” Tommy later said, “They were always paranoid I would take over, which I had no intention of doing.”
Tommy played his last show with the Ramones in May 1978, at CBGB. Johnny tried to get him to stay. He wouldn’t, but he remained to produce one more album, Road to Ruin (1978), with Ed Stasium. Drummer Marc Bell, who had played with the Voidoids and other downtown bands, replaced Tommy under the name Marky Ramone. Road to Ruin was a masterpiece – the fourth in a row by a band that had burst out of nowhere. It was also the last great album the Ramones would ever make.

In the early 1980s – half a decade into their career – the Ramones’ story fractured in all respects. Their music hadn’t yielded the mass audience that they’d expected. “I don’t feel desperate, not yet,” Johnny said, “although I don’t feel like waiting another two years to get big.”

Relations in the band were tense, even degrading. Though Joey was seen by many as the Ramones’ frontman – congenial, commanding onstage, increasingly outspoken in interviews – it was Johnny who ran the band with an iron hand. He instituted fines if members were late or too messed up to play. He yelled, and slapped people. “We could often hear John pushing and smacking Roxy [his girlfriend] around in their hotel room,” Marky wrote in his autobiography, Punk Rock Blitzkrieg. “We would hear her stumbling, bouncing off a thin wall, and then falling onto a bed and shrieking.” Danny Fields told Mojo, “Dee Dee was terrified of Johnny, because Johnny would punch him in the face … It would always be after the show, about something like, ‘You did a B-major when you should have done a C-minor.’ I’d stand outside the dressing room. Inside you’d hear glass shattering and bodies slamming into walls.”

Johnny soon met his
match in producer Phil Spector. In 1978, the Ramones were invited tostar in Rock & Roll High School, a musical about rock rebellion, produced by B-movie legend Roger Corman. The title track was a hit to their fans, but it wasn’t enough for Sire, which around the same time decided that if the Ramones hoped to achieve real success they would need to change their sound. The label teamed them with the legendary Spector to oversee the band’s next LP, End of the Century. Spector had been after the Ramones for a long time. “You wanna make a good album by yourselves,” he asked them in 1977, “or a great album with me?” But in 1979, the producer was past his prime and a spooky eccentric. Early on, Spector invited the band to his mansion. “There were a lot of warning signs,” wrote Marky. “Do not enter. Do not touch gate. Beware of attack dogs. The signs looked pretty amateurish, and that made them more rather than less imposing.” Spector wore pistols, one under each arm, and kept bodyguards around. He made the band stay all night, watching the psychological horror film Magic, starring Anthony Hopkins. Dee Dee claimed that one night, the producer pulled a gun on him when he tried to leave. “He had all the quick-draw, shoot-to-kill pistol techniques,” Dee Dee recalled. 

One day, Spector pushed Johnny too far. The producer demanded that the guitarist play the opening G-major chord of “Rock & Roll High School” over and over. The engineer would play the chord back and Spector stomped around the studio yelling, “Shit, piss, fuck! Shit, piss, fuck!” Then he’d demand that Johnny hit the chord again. This went on for an hour or more, until Johnny got fed up. He finally put down his guitar and said he was leaving. Spector told him he wasn’t going anywhere. Johnny replied, “What are you gonna do, Phil, shoot me?” The bandmates had a meeting with Spector and told him they could no longer work with him if he was going to keep displaying the same temperament. “Nobody was enjoying any of it,” Joey said. “We were all pissed off with his antics, high drama, and the insanity.”

Spector had boasted to the band that Century, which cost $200,000, would be its greatest album ever. Instead, it was the album that broke the Ramones’ momentum and cost them their aesthetic. Vapid arrangements prevailed where storms had once ruled. Century charted higher than any of the band’s other albums, rising to Number 44 on the Billboard 200, but Johnny regretted making it. Near the end of his life, he told Ed Stasium that he wanted to remix the album and “de-Spectorize” it. “That was his final wish,” said Stasium, “get Phil’s stuff and make it a Ramones record.”

Decades later, Spector was convicted of second-degree murder for the 2003 shooting of Lana Clarkson, and is serving a 19-years-to-life sentence in California. In Commando, Johnny wrote, “After he shot that girl, I thought, ‘I’m surprised that he didn’t shoot someone every year.'”

When the Ramones visited Los Angeles to record End of the Century, Joey was accompanied by his girlfriend, Linda Danielle. According to his brother Mickey Leigh, Joey had probably met Linda at CBGB or Max’s Kansas City in the Ramones’ 1977 heyday, and the two became a couple during the filming of Rock & Roll High School in Los Angeles. Joey liked her more than any other woman he’d known. After the filming ended, Linda boarded the Ramones’ van to join Joey on tour. Johnny made plain the hierarchy: He decided where people sat. Since she was with Joey, he told her, “You sit in the back.” Linda replied, “Not for long.” In Commando, Johnny recalled,

“What is this, this girl answers back to me? Joey told her not to say anything, but she did anyway. I thought it was kind of funny.” Johnny had a girlfriend at the time. Others began to notice that he and Linda would flirt or sometimes furtively disappear to meet each other. When Marky and Mickey Leigh each tried to tell Joey that Linda and Johnny were having an affair, he refused to believe them. According to Commando, Linda left Joey in the summer of 1982, and soon Johnny left Roxy. Johnny and Linda began living together in a Manhattan apartment, but Johnny worried that Joey would leave the band if he found out. “I had never really gotten along with Joey,” Johnny later wrote, “but I didn’t want to hurt him, either … We tried our best, but you can’t live a lie.”

Within a few years, Johnny and Linda were married. Linda became Linda Cummings, but she went by Linda Ramone. Joey never got over her. The sense of romantic and isolated clinging in his songs deepened, and he wrote some of his best about the lost relationship, including “The KKK Took My Baby Away” (some saw it as aimed at Johnny). Late in his life, Joey told Mojo, “Johnny crossed the line… He destroyed the relationship and the band right there.” Joey began to drink heavily and also developed a cocaine habit.

Why didn’t Joey leave the Ramones at that point? “We’re the only rock & roll band out there,” he told a friend. “Everybody else has quit, but we’re never going to quit. We’re always going to be the Ramones.”

The Ramones kept their secrets well; they would go onstage night after night for a decade and a half after the schism between Joey and Johnny. After End of the Century, Sire kept treating the band’s music as a problem that needed to be solved. The label brought in new producers for five of their next six albums: Pleasant Dreams (1981), Subterranean Jungle (1983), Animal Boy (1986), Halfway to Sanity (1987) and Brain Drain (1989). On some of these, it sounded as if the Ramones were competing with their own shadows; they played faster, harder, as if trying to catch up with many of the hardcore bands – Black Flag, Fear, Circle Jerks, Discharge, Crass, Suicidal Tendencies, among others – that were running with the Ramones’ original template of short songs and high-speed beats. In many ways, they had grown as artists. The writing went deeper, and Joey’s voice took on more character – a mean drawl in some songs, a haunted wraith in others. The one album that broke the hex was 1985’s Too Tough to Die, a triumph that saw the return of producers Tommy Ramone and Ed Stasium.

Dee Dee had always written from his own fucked-up perspective, but in songs like Too Tough’s “Howling at the Moon,” he turned his own ruination into a human concern that looked outward (“I took the law and threw it away/Because there’s nothing wrong/It’s just for play”). The trouble was, Dee Dee’s problems proved irrepressible. He had used hard drugs since he was a child, had been diagnosed as bipolar, and often mixed mood-disorder medications with cocaine. Johnny tolerated the usage as long as it didn’t interfere with the band’s live shows – and it never did (“Dee Dee was on the road with hepatitis and could still play fine,” said Johnny). But Dee Dee grew tired of the Ramones and their fights. He sent signals that he intended to make a change. One day he showed up with spiky hair and gold chains, proclaiming a new devotion to hip-hop. He intended to make a rap album. According to Marky, Dee Dee once sat at the back of the van announcing, “I’m a Negro! I’m a Negro!” It drove Johnny crazy. “No, you’re not,” Johnny said. “You’re a fucking white guy who can’t rap.” Dee Dee in fact released a (sort of) rap album in 1988, Standing in the Spotlight, under the name Dee Dee King. The record failed in all respects; one critic reviewed it as “one of the worst recordings of all time.” In 1989, Dee Dee kept his word: He left the Ramones, catching the others, especially Johnny, off guard. “Why we didn’t stick together, I don’t know,” Dee Dee later wrote. “It’s hard to get anywhere in life, and when we did, we just threw it all away.” 

Christopher Joseph Ward replaced Dee Dee on bass as CJ Ramone in 1989, and remained with the group until it split in 1996. Dee Dee continued to write for the band, contributing several notable songs to Mondo Bizarro (1992) and ¡Adios Amigos! (1995). He was the complex and addled essential spirit at the center of the Ramones’ brilliant and damaged story. Without him, the band would not have made as much great music at any point in its life span.

What held the Ramones together was also what divided them: the partnership of Joey and Johnny. It was a necessary coalition, and a harsh one. Joey would continue to suffer from OCD throughout his life, needing to touch things repeatedly in certain ways; one time, after the band returned from England, he insisted on driving back to the airport just to retrace one step. He was prone to infections and illnesses that often hospitalized him. Johnny was impatient with it all. “I didn’t know what it was called,” he admitted. “Obviously it was some sort of mental disorder that he had to keep doing this kind of stuff, but at the same time I felt a lot of the times it was a prima-donna attitude. Half the time he’s psychosomatic. It would always be before a tour, when we’d be starting an album.” (The lack of empathy was mutual: In 1983, Johnny got into a late-night street fight with a musician he caught with Roxy, his ex, and ended up severely injured, requiring emergency brain surgery. According to Marky, Joey was ecstatic over the news.)

In the end, it was Johnny who decided how long the Ramones lasted. He settled on a final show on August 6th, 1996, at the Hollywood Palace. Before the event, the band had been invited to play a high-paying date in Argentina. Everybody wanted to make the trip except Joey, who said he had health concerns. If they waited a few months, he would maybe do it. The others took it as a refusal – especially Johnny – and resented him for it. “Joey was always sick,” said Johnny. “Anything he could get, he had.” There were moments at that final Hollywood show – the torrid “Blitzkrieg Bop,” for example – when the Ramones were as good as they had ever been. After the last song – the Dave Clark Five’s “Anyway You Want It,” with Pearl Jam’s Eddie Vedder – the Ramones retired to their dressing room. They packed up their clothes and instruments and left separately. “I said nothing to the other guys, I just walked out – it was the way I lived my life,” recalled Johnny. “Of course, I was really feeling loss of some sort. I just didn’t want to admit it.”

Joey had good reason to decline the South America trip; in 1994, he had learned he had lymphoma in his bone marrow. His doctor assured him it had been caught before it became life-threatening, and didn’t yet require treatments. Nonetheless, said Melnick, “it was harder for him to get the stamina. It wasn’t easy to do a Ramones set, especially when you’re wearing the heavy leather jacket. And I don’t think Joey exactly felt comfortable confiding in the band with his problems, especially Johnny.”

One day, in winter 1997, Joey’s chiropractor showed up at his apartment for a treatment session, but nobody answered the door. The chiropractor opened the door. “I saw Joey lying on the floor unconscious,” he said, “with blood spilling out of his mouth.” The emergency crew judged that Joey had been lying there for a day, maybe two. Another hour, even less, he would have been dead. In the autumn of 1988, his lymphoma worsened; doctors put him on chemotherapy. Joey used his good days to work on a solo album (Don’t Worry About Me, released in 2002). By Christmas 2000, he had been doing well enough that his doctors believed his cancer might be in remission in a few months. Then, in the predawn hours of December 31st, Joey began to hear voices while at his downtown apartment: Had he closed the door properly to his chiropractor’s office the prior day? “He headed uptown to [the] office to repeat a movement,” wrote Mickey Leigh, “to push a button or turn a doorknob – and do it right this time – so he could silence the voices and move on into the next year without them challenging him.” He made the trip once, but the worries persisted. He made the trip to check the office door again. Snow had built up, the sidewalks were slippery, and Joey fell. He couldn’t get back up. He laid there some time before a female police officer found him and called an ambulance. Joey had broken his hip during the fall and required surgery, which meant there would be a temporary halt in his cancer treatment. Over the next few weeks, his condition didn’t improve. Joey’s doctor told his family that things didn’t look good.

The only member of Joey’s former band to stop by was drummer Marky Ramone. Marky called Johnny – now living in Los Angeles – the next day. “You need to visit him,” Marky said. “The window is closing.”“Let it close,” replied John. “He’s not my friend.” On April 15th, 2001, Joey’s family and a few friends gathered at his bedside. Doctors turned off his respirator. Mickey played a song on a boombox that Joey liked, U2’s “In a Little While” (“In a little while/This hurt will hurt no more/I’ll be home, love”). By the time the song finished, Joey Ramone had closed his eyes. He was 49.Three years later, Rolling Stone’s Charles M. Young asked Johnny if he had gone to Joey’s funeral. “No,” said Johnny. “I was in California. I wasn’t going to travel all the way to New York, but I wouldn’t have gone anyway. I wouldn’t want him coming to my funeral, and I wouldn’t want to hear from him if I were dying. I’d only want to see my friends. Let me die and leave me alone.” 

During those years, belated recognition finally came around for the Ramones. In 2002, the band was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in its first year of eligibility. Tommy told Rolling Stone, “It mattered a lot to us because we knew we were good for the past 25 years or whatever. But it was hard to tell because we never got that much promotion and the records weren’t getting in the stores… But the fact that we were inducted on the first ballot seemed to say, ‘Oh, wow, it was real… We weren’t kidding ourselves.'” When Johnny, Tommy, Marky and Dee Dee went onstage to accept their Hall of Fame awards, Johnny was the first to speak. He thanked the band’s earlier management and record-label head, and added, “God bless President Bush, and God bless America.” Tommy spoke next. “Believe it or not,” he said, “we really loved each other even when we weren’t acting civil to each other. We were truly brothers.” Dee Dee said, “I’d like to congratulate myself, and thank myself, and give myself a big pat on the back. Thank you, Dee Dee. You’re very wonderful. I love you.” None of them claimed Joey’s award. It stood alone on the podium.

Eleven weeks later, Dee Dee Ramone was found in his apartment, dead of an overdose of heroin. “He was trying to stay sober toward the end but would fall off the wagon every so often,” wrote Melnick. “From my understanding,” added Dee Dee’s first wife, Vera, “he didn’t make it but a foot or two to the couch. He was bent over the top of the couch where he passed out and died. When Barbara [Dee Dee’s then-wife] came home from work, he was in that position.” Perhaps he was writing a song in his head about the experience as the dark rush moved through his mind and veins and stopped his heart. Dee Dee Colvin’s funeral was small. An inscription on his headstone read O.K… I gotta go now.

In 1997, Johnny started to have some troubles – difficulty urinating. He thought perhaps he had an enlarged prostate. It got worse. He saw a nutritionist, but nothing helped. Then he had his blood tested and a biopsy. Johnny learned he had prostate cancer. He elected for radiation treatment, and the symptoms eased a bit. “Still, the cancer clawed at me physically and in my mind,” he wrote in Commando. The cancer spread, and in June 2004, doctors told Linda Cummings her husband was going to die.

Johnny’s Commando was amazingly candid in many respects. “For all the success,” he wrote, “I carried around fury and intensity during my career. I had an image, and that image was anger. I was the one who was scowling, downcast, and I tried to make sure I looked like that when I was getting my picture taken. The Ramones were what I was, and so I was that person so many people saw on that stage… While retirement seemed to soften me, the prostate cancer I was diagnosed with in 1997 did so even more. It changed me, and I don’t know that I like how. It has softened me up, and I like the old me better. I don’t even have the energy to be angry.” At the book’s end, Johnny wrote, “It’s interesting that I have never felt that I was going to die until this last time. I’ve known that my time is limited, but I had nothing definite. If this happens again, I want them to just let me die. I won’t go through that again. Of course, now I know. We all have time limits, and mine came a little early.” On September 15th, 2004, Johnny Ramone died at his Los Angeles home, attended by his wife and some friends, at age 55. He was cremated the following January. That same month, a four-foot-tall bronze statue of the guitarist was unveiled at Los Angeles’ Hollywood Forever Cemetery. John Cummings had paid for it himself.

On July 11th, 2014, Tommy Erdelyi – who had spent the last decade of his life quietly, playing in a bluegrass band, Uncle Monk, with his longtime girlfriend, Claudia Tiernan, died at his Queens home, of cancer of the bile duct. He was 65.The four original Ramones had gone to the dust.Bloodlines make bonds irrefutable. You might hate your brother for what he’s done, but you can’t undo the blood; he’s still your brother, you’re his. A makeshift family, the kind many bands construct, may seem easier to leave behind. It’s a musical partnership, a fraternity at best. But the bonds can be just as indelible, as sublime, as painful.One thing bound Joey and Johnny Ramone in the years after the band’s breakup: a belief in the worth and endurance of what the Ramones had done. That necessitated some sort of belief in one another. As late as 1999, noted David Fricke, Joey still spoke of the Ramones as an ongoing force: “The Ramones were, and are, a great fuckin’ band… When we went out there to play, the power was intense, like going to see the Who in the Sixties. When I put the Ramones on the stereo now, we still sound great. And that will always be there. When you need a lift. When you need a fix.”Said Johnny, “I rarely had any contact with Joey after we broke up; two or three times maybe… When we did the Anthology in-store on Broadway in New York in 1998, I asked him how he was feeling. This was after I found out he had lymphoma, which eventually killed him. ‘I’m doing great,’ he said to me. ‘Why?’ I gave up.”Still, both men always hoped for something more. During Marky’s visit to Joey near the end of the singer’s life, Joey asked the drummer if he thought there might ever be a Ramones reunion. Not long before he died, Johnny admitted he’d had the same buried hope. “In my head,” he wrote, “it was never officially over until Joey died. There was no more Ramones without Joey. He was irreplaceable, no matter what a pain he was. He was actually the most difficult person I have ever dealt with in my life. I didn’t want him to die, though. I wouldn’t have wanted to play without him no matter how I felt about him; we were in it together… So when it happened, I was sad about the end of the Ramones. I thought I wouldn’t care and I did, so it was weird. I guess all of a sudden, I did miss him.”

Johnny never considered working in the Ramones without Joey? “No way… I would never perform without Joey. He was our singer.”

"Blitzkrieg Bop"

The Ramones wrote this as a salute to their fans - it's about having a good time at a show.

Some fans interpret the song differently, however, as "Blitzkrieg" is a German term meaning "Lighting War." The Blitzkrieg was Hitler's army and in this interpretation, the Bop in the song is the march that the soldiers do. Here's a look at this interpretation:

"Hey ho, let's go" - The soldiers marching.

"They're forming in a straight line" - The soldiers are standing in a line.

"They're going through a tight wind" - Cars going down the autobahn.

"The kids are losing their minds" - Boys being turned into soldiers by Hitler.

"The Blitzkrieg Bop" - The soldiers march.

"They're piling in the back seat" - People piling into vehicles to get on the autobahn and soldiers piling into vehicles.

"They're generating steam heat" - The engines were so hot they started to steam.

"Pulsating to the back beat" - Germans getting pumped for war.

"Shoot'em in the back now" - Hitler being shot.

"What they want, I don't know" - Why Hitler was in the war.

"They're all revved up and ready to go" - The soldiers getting ready to fight.

The Ramones' famous chant, "Hey, Ho, Let's Go!" is a big part of this song. They wanted their own chant after hearing "Saturday Night" by the Bay City Rollers, which had the chant "S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y, Night."

Joey Ramone explained: "I hate to blow the mystique, but at the time we really liked bubblegum music, and we really liked the Bay City Rollers. Their song 'Saturday Night' had a great chant in it, so we wanted a song with a chant in it: 'Hey! Ho! Let's Go!'. 'Blitzkrieg Bop' was our 'Saturday Night'."

The songwriting credits on this one go to drummer Tommy Ramone and bass player Dee Dee Ramone. Tommy explained: "I wrote 'Blitzkrieg Bop,' but Dee Dee contributed the title and he changed one line. There was a line that went, 'They're shouting in the back now.' He changed it to 'Shoot 'em in the back now,' which is a non sequitur. But to him it made sense."

This was the Ramones' first single, and also the first song on their first album. It was never a hit, but it became a punk anthem and a defining song of the genre, which was just about to enter its late '70s heyday.

Johnny Ramone's guitar, which was highly distorted, is on the left channel, while the rest of the band is on the right.

The Ramones had a very sparse budget at the time: The entire album cost just $6,400 to make.

This song has been used in a number of movies and TV series, including The Simpsons (the 2007 "Treehouse of Horror" episode), and the 2006 Entourage episode "I Wanna Be Sedated," revolving around a Ramones documentary.

In the 2001 movie Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius, it was used in a scene where Jimmy and his friends go on a rampage of fun. Some other uses:

Fear No Evil (1981)
National Lampoon's Vacation (1983)
Sugar & Spice (2001)
Shattered Glass (2003)
The King of Queens (2004)
Date Night (2010)
The Crazy Ones (2013)
Parenthood (2014)
Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)

The New York Yankees baseball team often plays this when one of their big hitters is coming to the plate. Johnny Ramone was a huge fan of the Yankees.

Green Day performed this at the 2002 ceremonies when The Ramones were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

In 1991, this song piqued the interest of Budweiser, which used it in a commercial for their beer (without the "Shoot 'em in the back" line). There was no debate in the Ramones camp over whether to authorize it: they were all happy to get the money and exposure. In 2003, the song found its way into another commercial, this time for AT&T Wireless. It was later used in commercials for Diet Pepsi, Coppertone and Taco Bell.

Rob Zombie covered this song on the album A Tribute To Ramones (We're A Happy Family).

Fellow first-wave punk band The Clash covered this song live on tour in 1978, often as a medley with the song "Police And Thieves,"

10/8/2018 2:01 am  #1309

Mr Chanter,

Well done for keeping this thread going for a full year.

I haven't always agreed with your reviews (that's by the by tbh), but the body of work you have got through is extraordinary.

I salute you Sir. And i look to the 80's.

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

10/8/2018 6:35 am  #1310

Last edited by arabchanter (10/8/2018 6:37 am)

10/8/2018 6:36 am  #1311

Tek wrote:

Mr Chanter,

Well done for keeping this thread going for a full year.

I haven't always agreed with your reviews (that's by the by tbh), but the body of work you have got through is extraordinary.

I salute you Sir. And i look to the 80's.

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

Thanks Tek, it's been a bumpy ride at times but still enjoying it, I hope others are to.

10/8/2018 6:45 am  #1312

DAY 365.
Fela Kuti And The Africa '70..............................................Zombie   (1976)

This wasn't really my cup of tea, I think all those stars mentioned just liked a toke to be honest, this album didn't do much for me and will not be going into my collection.

Bits & Bobs;

As with most of Fela Kuti's albums "Zombie" is compromised just a couple of extended pieces, in the case of "Zombie" three pieces. This album was pretty hot property in Fela's native country Nigeria. After the album's release the title song became a rallying cry in the streets of Lagos where both poverty and corrupt government were leading to a major crisis in the country. While Fela came from a somewhat wealthy family he eventually became a so-called "man of the people" and his music was highly charged against the government, which led to personal tragedy.

"Zombie" is without question Fela's masterpiece, the title track which takes up all of side one is a tour de force, containing a power groove that lifts you off your chair with fists pumped. Fela's sound has been called "Afro-Beat" by many including Brian Eno (who stated that it was one of the truly original sounds of the 70's.) "Zombie" the title track carries a vicious groove that is part James Brown and part Archie Shepp (circa "Attica Blues.") about midway in the vocals enter and whole thing just catches fire and burns out in a blaze of smoke and flames.

On the other side "Everything Scatter" & "Monkey Banana" are a little more subdued than the title track but no less effective. In many ways you could file "Zombie" alongside albums such as John Coltrane's "OM", The Pop Group's "Y" and Miles Davis' "Dark Magus" for sheer gut busting intensity. If you want to investigate the music of Fela Kuti, then "Zombie" is the logical point of entry!

10/8/2018 9:53 am  #1313

As Tek said earlier, that's one year done and dusted, so It seems like a good time to say thanks to everybody who's looked in, I hope you've maybe found a bit of music that you didn't think you would like but turns out you do, (it's happened to me a few times) or even a wee bit of a triv that surprised you.

As always, this is an open thread so please if you want to post anything feel free, it would be great to hear your thoughts.

And last but by no means least, a genuine big thank you to the lads who have been contributing (you know who you are) and a special shout out to Pat who's contributions have not only been enlightening but also kept me going at times.

Tek has given me the green light to carry on (thanks again) so it's year 2 of my rabid ramblings I'm afraid 

10/8/2018 10:15 am  #1314

DAY 366.
Peter Tosh............................................Legalize It   (1967)

A founder of the Wailers, Peter Tosh had recorded dozens of solo tracks during the band's decade-long rise from the Trenchtown ghetto to stardom, but it was only after fleeing Bob Marley's ever-expanding shadow that he kicked off his career in earnest.

The album is less politically focused than his later works, but listeners loved his exuberance..........and the cover image of him sitting in a marijuana field. The album charted at No.54 in the UK, staking Tosh's claim to Marley's place atop reggae's emerging pantheon.

Looks like year 2 is kicking off in style  

10/8/2018 4:43 pm  #1315

A breath of fresh air!

What a laugh we used to have putting The Ramones on in pub jukeboxes, in the days when it was possible to play the same songs over and over again. Nowadays, twenty folk can fire the money in for a song, it only plays once (probably because of arseholes like me).

Every song on this LP is great, and I think The Ramones (RIP) sound as great today as they ever did, a big compliment from someone who has an inbred bias against US music. The humour in the music is a big part of the appeal, for me, and the simplicity.

Beat on the Brat is my favourite on this collection, but my all time favourite Ramones song is Pinhead from the second LP. The line "I just met a nurse that I could go for" was used often in my home area after Pinhead came out, as there were many, many nurses living here, working at the big 'mental' hospitals (there were three locally). Mind you, I usually finished up with a pinhead rather than a nurse............

11/8/2018 10:38 am  #1316

DAY 367.
Stevie Wonder.....................................Songs In The Key Of Life   (1976)

In August 1975, Stevie Wonder signed a $13 million dollar contract with Motown, guaranteeing complete artistic freedom. He had stockpile hundreds of songs, but the ensuing months saw him record 200 more, forcing Motown to clear the decks for the first of two double albums that propelled him from precocious maverick to international megastar.

A double album, 86:53 minutes worth of Stevie Wonder (sorry Tek,) usual double album rules, half the night and the other half in the mornin'.

12/8/2018 11:36 am  #1317

DAY 366.
Peter Tosh............................................Legalize It   (1967)

Loved this album, sometimes reggae gets a bit too heavy/political for me to really enjoy, but Peter Tosh has got this one just right in my humbles. There was a good variation on this album, with my favourite track being "Till Your Well Runs Dry," this was always going to be a maybe,but the more I played it the more I loved it, I would highly recommend it, just give it a listen.

This album will be going into my collection, for my mellow moments.

Bits & Bobs;

Peter Tosh was born Winston Hubert McIntosh on October 19, 1944. He was named after British Prime Minister Winston Churchill. As a child he was given the nickname of Peter and other children referred to him as “McIntouch” for his proclivity to touch and handle things. Tosh dropped the “McIn-” from his surname and recorded early in his career as Peter Touch.

Tosh was an accomplished guitarist despite having learned to play on a “sardine pan guitar.” Tosh was also a gifted multi-instrumentalist who played melodica, recorder, piano and organ on many recordings (many uncredited) early on in his career.

Legalize It was a smash hit despite the fact that the first single from the album (also titled “Legalize It”) was banned from radio broadcast in Jamaica. The landmark album was released in 1976, the same year that Bunny Wailer’s Blackheart Man and Bob Marley’s Rastaman Vibration were released. These three albums, each one released by a founding member of The Wailers, are considered to be among the very best reggae albums ever recorded.

Tosh’s legendary debut album Legalize It was produced in part by photographer, and former touring member of Bob Marley and the Wailers Lee Jaffe. According to Tosh’s bass player Robbie Shakespeare (who I interviewed in 2013) Jaffe was also partially responsible for assembling Tosh’s all-star backing band Word, Sound and Power. Jaffe also shot the iconic cover photo for the Legalize It album in a ganja field in Westmoreland, Jamaica.

Both Tosh and Jaffe were part of the Wailers contingent that opened for Bruce Springsteen at Max’s Kansas City from July 18-23, 1973. The Wailers played a total of 14 shows at the club during the six-night run. Writing in Billboard Magazine, Sam Sutherland called the young Wailers “the only unknown band capable of neatly eclipsing Springsteen’s formidable, growing charisma.”

Tosh was closely associated with the Rolling Stones throughout his career, because he was the only reggae artist signed to the group’s label (from 1978-1981). He also opened for the Stones throughout their 1978 US tour. Tosh is featured in the opening scene of the group’s video for “Waiting On A Friend.”

As Keith Richards explains in his 2010 autobiography Life, he allowed Tosh to take up residence at his home in Jamaica. Tosh, always a bit cagey and unpredictable, refused to leave the property upon Richards return to the island in 1981. Tosh ended up vacating the house when Richards pulled a gun and threatened to kill him.

Tosh was genius at deconstructing the English language. He infamously referred to New York City as “New York Shitty;” he often railed against the “Jamaican Crime Minister who shit in the House of Represent-a-t’ief;” he referred to the Babylon system (the white-colonialist establishment) as the “Babylon shit-stem.” The Queen of England was known to him as “Queen ‘Ere-lies-a-b***h.”

Peter Tosh’s final public performance in his native Jamaica was on January 28, 1984 at the Rockers Magazine Music Awards Show at National Heroes Arena in Kingston (four years prior to his murder on September 11, 1987). He also received the award for Reggae Personality of the Year.

Tosh friend and reggae historian Roger Steffens describes another interesting fact in the Foreword toJohn Masouri’s 2013 biography of Tosh titled Steppin’ Razor: The Life of Peter Tosh. Despite being an outspoken critic of the so-called “Babylon Shit-stem,” ironically, it is this very same establishment that awarded Tosh its third highest honor in 2012 when Jamaica awarded the rebel Wailer with the Order of Merit.

Guitar wasn’t the only talent Tosh possessed. Sometime in the late 60s or 70s he developed an interest in unicycles and often rode then onto the stage during shows. He was actually really good on one and could even ride backwards and hop. That alone is hard enough, but it’s made a little tougher when to take into account Peter Tosh’s height… he was 6’5.

Before Peter Tosh went solo he was involved in a tragic accident in 1973. He was driving and was hit by another car going down the wrong side of the road. The wreck fractured Peter’s skull and killed his girlfriend Evonne.

The original Wailers connection was deeper than music. Bunny Livingston’s father, fathered a child with Bob Marley’s mother Cedella Booker, during their brief and tumultuous relationship. Peter Tosh fathered a child with Bunny Wailer’s sister.

The Walter Rodney riots, which caused death and destruction of public and private property, began when the Jamaican government banned Rodney from re-entering the country in 1968. He was able to grab the hearts of many Jamaicans from the “sufferahs” in the gullies to the middle class university students by explaining their harsh conditions and means for reform. During the riots Peter Tosh stole a 42-passenger bus, drove it into a store, watched looters, and then drove looters with their goods back to Kingston ghetto of Trench Town.

While most entertainers relegated their marijuana consumption to hotel rooms, tour buses, or dressing rooms, Peter Tosh smoked everywhere all the time, usually getting in trouble for his disregard for “Babylon’s” laws. There is a famous story that he lit his pipe on an American Airlines flight to JFK. When before the judge, Peter cursed the judge in patios telling him he was the minister of marijuana.  Peter Tosh was a trail blazer in advocating for the decimalization of marijuana. He paved the way for modern reggae singers to perform marijuana songs without incurring the brutalization that Peter received for standing up for his beliefs. Whenever given the opportunity, whether in interviews or live performances, Peter Tosh was promoting the beneficial spiritual and medicinal components of marijuana. Peter Tosh also smoked his marijuana “ital” meaning without mixing the herb with any tobacco products.

Like most revolutionaries- Che Guevara, Thomas Sankara, Malcolm X, Fred Hampton, Walter Rodney, Martin Luther King, Patrice Lumumba, and Amilcar Cabral- Peter Tosh also died a violent death. The main story is that a hanger-on called Leppo took a gun charge on behalf of Peter Tosh with the promise of being financially compensated upon his release. When released, the money was not issued so he killed Peter Tosh in revenge. All the men accused of killing Peter were murdered within weeks after his death except Leppo. Others claim it was a hit for debts he owed to dangerous people for borrowed money or ganja hustling, Peter was under immense financial strain during the time of his death. The other story is that Peter Tosh along with Free-I were preparing to launch a reggae- only station, which played only cultural music and provided educational information in history and health. It is alleged that the powers that be did not want the Jamaican public exposed to such consciousness during the time when brain-draining dancehall was paramount in Jamaica.

12/8/2018 11:44 am  #1318

DAY 368.
Peter Frampton.........................................Frampton Comes Alive   (1976)

Peter Frampton's live double epitomizes post-Vietnam escapist sunshine-rock, With an estimated 16 million sales, it is second only to Bruce Springsteen's 1985 blockbuster, as history's most successful live set.

Another double album, 78 minutes worth, and was never a Frampton fan  

12/8/2018 8:54 pm  #1319

DAY 367.
Stevie Wonder.....................................Songs In The Key Of Life   (1976)

Having spent just under 3 hours listening to this album twice over the last 24 hours, I have to report I still don't get the big hoo-hah about Stevie Wonder. Yes there are some really good songs on the album, but the good tracks are heavily outnumbered by the mediocre ones for me, "Sir Duke," "I Wish," "Pastime Paradise," and "As," are all good to very good tunes, but you can keep "Isn't She Lovely" I get the sentiment (about his feelings on the birth of his daughter) but maybe being overexposed to it over the years, makes me want to turn it off, every time I hear it.

There is no doubting he's a talented bloke, but I can't say I've ever been fond of his music, I've never bought any of Stevie Wonders offerings so far, and see no reason to start with this one, this album wont be getting purchased.

Bits & Bobs;

Have written about Mr Wonder in previous posts  (if interested)

Here's a RollingStone review from '76, and a pretty fair one I think.

Stevie Wonder’s Songs in the Key of Life, like some big Hollywood studio blockbuster, comes to us already weighted down with words, stabbed with exclamation points and wrapped — or is it shrouded? — in great expectations. Two years in the making, the album’s imminent release was announced several times, and each time it was withdrawn to be haggled over, reworked, expanded and gossiped about until its release at the end of September. It is nothing if not ambitious: two records plus a four-cut “bonus” EP disc — 21 songs in all — complete with lyric booklet and embarrassingly detailed notes thanking everyone from his mother and father to rack jobbers and stewardesses. The excessive gratitude (including an alphabetical list of over 150 names, from Abdul Jabbar to Frank Zappa) stands in contrast to the production credits, which are typically spare. This is another personal tour de force: Wonder produced, arranged, wrote and composed everything here (only three songs list cowriters); he sings all leads and most of the backing tracks as well; and, though a number of stars (George Benson, Herbie Hancock, Minnie Riperton, Bobbi Humphrey, Deniece Williams, Syreeta Wright) make cameo appearances, the majority of the cuts list at most four or five other musicians besides Wonder and many list only him. Wonder confronts us virtually single-handedly, grasps our expectations and wrestles them to the ground. I give him four out of five falls gratefully, happily; were it not for his lyrics he might have won them all.

My immediate impression of Songs in the Key of Life is that the album has none of the pinched, overwrought, overre-fined quality one might expect from material that’s been coddled and polished over a period of two years. If there are scattered traces of icy, brittle perfection, the overall feeling is expansive, spontaneous and startlingly immediate. Wonder’s particular genius is that his carefully crafted perfection sounds so convincingly offhand. Unfortunately, the album cover — featuring Wonder’s image sinking into a vortex of what resembles orange crepe paper — looks not only offhand but like a last-minute amateur effort; the effect is hideous and offensively cheap, considering the album’s $13.98 list price.

The material itself varies so widely that even after weeks of listening it’s difficult to get a critical fix on. This is one of the album’s pleasures — I found myself constantly discovering and falling in love with new cuts I’d somehow overlooked. The album offers something fresh at each listening, something right for every mood. But it’s also one of the record’s annoyances — it has no focus or coherence. The eclecticism is rich and welcome, but the overall effect is haphazard, turning what might have been a stunning, exotic feast into a hastily organized potluck supper.

Part of the problem is the bulk of the material. The inclusion of four straggling cuts on a bonus EP comes across finally as a self-indulgent rather than generous gesture. Are we being given this heap of songs as a dog-biscuit reward for our patience or because Stevie had such a staggering amount of fine material that he wanted to release as much as possible? Though the first impulse is to begin editing it down, the more you listen, the less you want to cut. With some rather appalling exceptions, the quality does overwhelm the unwieldy format.

Given Wonder’s understated production and quietly downbeat singing, no less convincing. “Isn’t She Lovely,” about Wonder’s baby girl Aisha, isn’t as substantial lyrically, but Stevie’s irrepressible fatherly joy sets the song aglow, finding its best expression in his sprightly harmonica playing. The beginning, when the baby’s cries are orchestrated to a thumping drumbeat and suddenly sound like shouts from African ritual music, is especially brilliant. In “As,” a long, elaborate song of utter dedication to love, Stevie vows, “I’ll be loving you always/ Until the day is night and night becomes the day” (other images are filled with a childlike surrealism: “Until the rainbow burns the stars out in the sky . . . until the dolphin flies and parrots live at sea”). This song, like a number of the longer cuts on the album, drags into repetition at the end but Stevie’s vocals are so charged and varied that he pushes you past the point of boredom; the words themselves fade as that voice grabs hold. Throughout, Wonder confirms his position as the most astonishing, expressive male singer performing today. His voice contains its own history, from the riveting rawness of Little Stevie Wonder to the husky, warm ballad style of his recent albums. And he delights in playing these voices against one another from separate tracks, teasing us with his virtuosity, flaunting it with jumping, jiving glee.

Wonder’s lyrics aren’t clever or particularly intelligent but, at their best, they’re instinctive, straightforward and touchingly sincere. Unfortunately, at their worst they’re convoluted, awkward, atrociously rhymed and so tangled up in their pretensions to “poetic” style that they become almost comical. Songs in the Key of Life has more than its share of Wonder at his worst: “Have a Talk with God” suggests that “He’s the only free psychiatrist that’s known throughout the world”; “Ordinary Pain,” an otherwise enjoyable, gritty number, begins,When by the phone
In vain you sit
You very soon in your mind realize that it’s not just
An ordinary pain in your heart;

“Pastime Paradise” sounds like a parody of a well-meaning protest song with its meaningless shuffle of words (“Consolation/Integration/Verification/of Revelations”). Even the best songs are marred by uncomfortably twisted phrasing (“To me came this melody”; “But listen did I not though understanding/I fell in love with one/Who would break my heart in two”) and sunk with leaden platitudes. Stevie underlines this dismal writing with his rambling liner notes. “Songs in the Key of Life,” he writes, “is only a conglomerate of thoughts in my subconscious that my Maker decided to give me the strength, the love+love-hate = love energy making it possible for me to bring to my conscious an idea.”

Yet even the most preposterous lyrics are salvaged by Wonder’s melodies and sure, sharp production sense. Though the words to “Pastime Paradise” may make you want to run from the room, the music will keep you there, with its fascinating blend of what sounds like a string quartet set to a delicate Latin beat. And the song’s final build, joining Wonder’s vocal with a gospel choir and chanting Hare Krishna followers, is as inventive and exciting as anything on the album. If the lyrics are flawed and uneven, the productions are, without exception, excellent. What he can’t say in words he can say more fluidly, subtly and powerfully in his music. So it’s Wonder’s music, his spirit, that dominates here and seems to fill up the room. It’s his voice — also beyond mere words, into pure expression — that snatches you up.

"Sir Duke"

Stevie Wonder wrote this song as a tribute to music, specifically to Duke Ellington, who had passed away in 1974. Ellington was a jazz bandleader and composer who was a big influence on Wonder.

"I knew the title from the beginning but wanted it to be about the musicians who did something for us," Stevie said. "So soon they are forgotten. I wanted to show my appreciation. They gave us something that is supposed to be forever. That's the basic idea of what we do and how we hook it up."

In addition to Ellington, musicians referenced in this song are "Satchmo" Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, Count Basie and Sodarisa Miller.

This wasn't the first song Wonder wrote in tribute to one of his musical inspirations: "Bye Bye World" from his 1968 album Eivets Rednow is about the guitarist Wes Montgomery. Wonder's second album, released in 1962 when he was just 12 years old, was Tribute to Uncle Ray, which paid homage to Ray Charles. This was more of a marketing ploy by Motown, who were pushing Wonder as the second coming of Charles.

The lead guitarist on this song was Mike Sembello, who had a hit in 1983 with "Maniac."

"I Wish"

This song finds Stevie chronicling his younger days from the 1950s onto the early '60s when he was a "nappy-headed boy" growing up in difficult circumstances. Despite living in poverty, he looks fondly on those days and wishes they could come back once more. It was a simple time when his only worry was "for Christmas what would be my toy."

Wonder wrote the song after attending a Motown company picnic in 1976 where he participated in contests and games; an afternoon in which he felt that he rekindled his childhood. "I had such a good time at the picnic that I went to Crystal Recording Studio right afterward and the vibe came right to my mind," he said.

The song was Stevie's fifth #1 on the Hot 100, staying at the summit for one week. He topped the chart on nine different occasions throughout his career.

The voice that says "You nasty boy!" is Wonder's sister, Renee Hardaway.

Nathan Watts' infectious 8-note bassline is one reason why "I Wish" is one of Stevie Wonder's most sampled songs. The best example is Will Smith's 1999 chart-topper "Wild Wild West," which was the theme song to the film by the same name starring Smith and Kevin Kline.

Along with "Sir Duke," this was one of two #1 US hits from Songs in the Key of Life, a landmark double album that Wonder produced himself.

Taking two years to complete, the album was a salute to Wonder's perfectionist ethos ("If it takes two years or seven years, I must be satisfied when it's done"), with the largest and most diverse collection of songs out of all his releases. It was the first album Wonder produced after signing a seven year contract with Motown Records, reputed to be worth $13 million. The Motown representative that bartered the contract said that the success of this album, which won the Album of the Year Grammy Award, convinced him that he had not been cheated in the deal. Clearly it was worth it, earning not just commercial success but praise from other artists who cite its influence. Elton John said of the album in 2003, "Let me put it this way: wherever I go in the world, I always take a copy of Songs in the Key of Life. For me, it's the best album ever made, and I'm always left in awe after I listen to it."

This won a Grammy for Best R&B Vocal Performance, Male.

An interesting cover version of this song was an entirely instrumental rendition by the saxophonist Najee, appearing on his Stevie Wonder tribute album Songs From the Key of Life (1995), in which he substitutes his sax for Wonder's voice in the first half of the song, then breaks into a bearable solo (although he's no Charlie Parker), without entirely crossing the boundary between Pop and Jazz.

Listening to the house band at Motown Records gave wonder a great respect for the anonymous musicians who play on the hits, so he listed song-by-song credits on his albums starting in 1972 with Music of My Mind.

"Pastime Paradise"

"Pastime Paradise" was first released on Songs in the Key of Life, which has become Wonder's most highly praised album. Michael Jackson considered it Wonder's best, whilst Elton John told interviewers it was "the best album ever made," a sentiment shared by many in the listening public.

"Pastime Paradise" certainly stands apart from the rest of Stevie Wonder's oeuvre in terms of mood and message. When one thinks of Wonder, "joy" is the operative word, but in "Pastime Paradise" the synthesizer strings – one of the first novel attempts at using this sort of string-synthesis in a song – create an edgy atmosphere of anxiety, substantiated by the lyrics which are insistently negative in tone until the final stanza. A combination of issues, from race and religion to the economy are vaguely alluded to by using catchwords like "Race Relations" and "Exploitation" without any further explanation. Anyone that would have been hearing these words in 1976 at the tail-end of the Black Power movement (1965-1975) would know exactly what they were referring to. However, Wonder's final statement defines the actual message of the song: "Let's start living our lives, living for the future paradise," as opposed to living in the unhappy past, or the illusory future in order to escape present social issues.

This song was not released as a single and was not particularly popular in 1976, but it found a new audience when Coolio revived it, ingeniously swapping the title word "Pastime" for "Gangsta's."

"Gangsta's Paradise" (released on Coolio's album with the same name in 1995) sampled Wonder's music in its entirety but changed the lyrics to be about a hopeless feeling in the inner city. Coolio's take was written for the movie Dangerous Minds, which is about kids struggling to find their way at a school riddled with crime and neglect - his lyrics are written from the perspective of the students.

The first version of "Gangsta's Paradise" didn't meet with Stevie Wonder's approval, as it contained curse words. After Coolio cleaned it up a bit, Wonder jumped on board, and even joined the rapper to perform the song at the 1995 Billboard Music Awards.

Apart from Coolio's rendition, this song has been sampled so many times and in such a range of musical contexts that it has shown itself to be an almost unending source of inspiration for musicians since its conception. Notable samples include Mary J. Blige's song "Time" in which the melody has been entirely reworked, "Drama" by Erykah Badu in which some of the lyrics are briefly quoted, and "Crack" by the rapper Scarface, who attempted to rap over the sample in the same way as Coolio, but with less success.

Wonder used an advanced analogue synthesizer developed by Yamaha called the GX-1 on this track. The instrument was unwieldy and very expensive ($60,000), but it let Wonder manipulate sounds in ways that could never be done before. Only a few of these synths were ever made; one of them went to Keith Emerson of Emerson, Lake & Palmer.

The riff that forms the musical basis for this song is based on the Bach composition, "Prelude No. 2 in C Minor."

At the end of this song, some chanting comes in, along with a version of "We Shall Overcome" sung by the West Angeles Church of God Choir. The chanting was done by a large group of Hare Krishna's who could be found extolling their faith on the streets of Los Angeles. Engineer Gary Olazabal brought them in from Hollywood Boulevard and recorded them at Crystal Sound in Hollywood.

12/8/2018 11:29 pm  #1320

Cannae remember listening to that Peter Tosh album before but enjoy the phrasing Jamaican's use in lyrics and speech: dunno what they are singing about some of the time. But can easily guess!

What I don't get about the songs is the stuff about 'God' which doesn't seem to sit comfortably with some of the other sentiments. But then, I'm an atheist, so not a judge in that case.

But a good listen: I love reggae.

Stevie Wonder is ok if you are in the mood.

12/8/2018 11:41 pm  #1321

PatReilly wrote:

. But then, I'm an atheist

My old dad who was in the Navy in the second world war, when he heard the word "atheist" used to always come out with these two Quotes;

"you'll never find an atheist in a lifeboat"

and

When an atheist dies, "he's all dressed up, with no place to go"

Each to his own though!

13/8/2018 1:18 am  #1322

There are 4 outstanding tracks 'Songs in The Key of Life' IMO.

1.Village Ghetto Land
2.Past Time Paradise
3.Knocks Me Off My Feet
4.As

A few other good tracks too.

Musical taste is all about personal opinion, I guess.

13/8/2018 11:19 am  #1323

Tek wrote:

There are 4 outstanding tracks 'Songs in The Key of Life' IMO.

1.Village Ghetto Land
2.Past Time Paradise
3.Knocks Me Off My Feet
4.As

A few other good tracks too.

Musical taste is all about personal opinion, I guess.

At least we agreed on 50% of you stand outs, but it would be dead boring if we all liked the same music.

13/8/2018 11:35 am  #1324

DAY 369.
Brian Eno.................................Before and after Science   (1977)

Before and after Science could be Brian Eno's secret masterpiece, yet it remains an uncelebrated album.

Eno built each piece from layer upon layer of performances from the likes of Phil Manzanera, Robert Fripp, Achim Roedelius, and Mobi Moebius of Cluster, and er....Phil Collins. The results still sound astonishing, "Kurt's Rejoinder" samples Dadaist performance artist Kurt Schwitters before samplers were even invented, while "No One Receiving" and the rampaging "Kings Lead Hat" an anagram of (Talking Heads, whom Eno was producing at the time) foreshadow the febrile ethnic funk of 1981's collaboration with David Byrne, "My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts"

14/8/2018 11:40 am  #1325

DAY 368.
Peter Frampton.........................................Frampton Comes Alive   (1976)

Well this one surprised me, in that I didn't hate it quite as much as I thought I would. When I seen another double album and lasting 78 minutes, and or course flashbacks to him on that f'k'n talkbox thingy, I have to admit I had the fear.

"Frampton Comes Alive" was almost bearable, and might even have enjoyed it, ir it wasn't for the extended guitar solos and general lengthy tracks, taking nothing away from Frampton, the boy really does know his way around a guitar, and if that's you thing he's no shy in exhibiting his undoubted gift and talent.

A big plus for this album was the atmosphere that he creates in concert, it really sounded like you could have been there, some live albums are pretty tame, with a bit of clapping scattered around, but this one you could feel him working the audience, and the audience loving every minute of it, "Show Me The Way" and "Do You Feel Like We Do" (although the latter at 14 minutes was a hell of a test, cut back to 4 minutes would be better) "Baby I love Your Way" (which takes me back to the Barracuda days) were the stand out tracks.

Although enjoyable in patches, this was just too long and too guitary/talkbox for me, this album wont be going into my collection.

Bits & Bobs;

Peter Frampton was born in Bromley, Kent, on 22 April 1950 in a middle-class family. His father Owen Frampton was a teacher and the head of the art department at the Bromley Technical High School which Peter attended during his early days.
Singer, songwriter and guitarist Peter Kenneth Frampton was born on April 22, 1950, in Beckenham, England. Raised in a conventional middle-class family, Frampton was a musical prodigy, teaching himself to play the guitar at age 7. Within the next few years, he mastered complex jazz, blues and rock riffs.

Frampton spent his pre-teen years performing with bands like The Little Ravens, The Trubeats and George & The Dragons (a group that included fellow up-and-coming musician David Bowie). Eventually, Frampton caught the attention of The Preachers' manager Bill Wyman (of The Rolling Stones), who recruited him to join The Preachers, an overtly commercial English band.

In 1967, under the tutelage of Wyman, the 16-year-old Frampton became the lead guitarist and singer for the pop-oriented group The Herd. In 1969, after achieving the adoration of teenaged fans with hit singles like "From the Underworld" and "I Don't Want Our Loving to Die," Frampton opted to leave The Herd. Later that year, he and Steve Marriott fronted the blues-based rock band Humble Pie. In 1971, despite positive response for the albums Town And Country (1969) and Rock On (1970), Frampton decided to strike out on his own.

Frampton contributed to George Harrison's All Things Must Pass and Nilsson's Son of Schmilsson, before launching his solo career with the debut album Wind Of Change (1972). He toured extensively over the next few years, promoting the albums Frampton's Camel (1973), Somethin's Happening (1974) and Frampton (1975).

The popularity of these albums coupled with Frampton's captivating live performances culminated in the 1976 live double recording Frampton Comes Alive!, which sold more than 10 million copies. The LP held the notable distinction of being the best-selling live rock album in history, while the singles "Baby I Love Your Way," "Do You Feel Like I Do?" and "Show Me the Way" dominated the American charts. Considered the crowning achievement of Frampton's career, the album influenced both Billboard and Rolling Stone magazines to name him Artist of the Year.

By the end of the 1970s, Frampton's status began to decline. With musical talents like the BeeGees, Aerosmith and Earth, Wind & Fire, he made his cinematic debut as Billy Shears in the disastrous rock musical Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1978). After a near-fatal automobile accident, Frampton was forced to temporarily shelve his music career. He recorded sporadically throughout the 1980s, most notably releasing Breaking All The Rules (1981), The Art of Control (1982) and Premonition (1986). The following year, his re-entered the public spotlight and began touring as a lead guitarist with longtime friend David Bowie.

With the successful release of his 1994 self-titled album followed by Frampton Comes Alive II (1995), he re-embraced his old fans while also attracting a new generation of rock enthusiasts. In 2001, the 25th anniversary recording of the legendary Frampton Comes Alive! celebrated 16 million albums sold. Since then he's released a number of albums including Now (2003), Fingerprints (2006) and Thank You Mr. Churchill (2010).

Frampton has been married a total of three times. He met his first wife, former model Mary Lovett, in 1970. The couple remained together for three years then filed for divorce in 1973. He went on to marry Barbara Gold in 1983, and after a decade of marriage they also got divorced. Frampton and Gold have two children together. Frampton married once again in 1996 to Christina Elfers. Although the relationship lasted nearly 15 years, Frampton filed for divorce in 2011. At the time of their divorce, the couple negotiated custody of their 15-year-old daughter.

Before going solo, he was in the bands The Herd, Humble Pie, and Frampton's Camel.

His concerts sold well, but his albums did not. He took advantage of this in 1976 by releasing a live album, Frampton Comes Alive.

Frampton Comes Alive, which has sold over 16 million copies, was the best selling live album ever. It was recorded at Winterland in San Francisco.

Played Billy Shears in the 1978 movie Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. It is considered one of the worst movies ever.

Was an advisor on the 2000 movie Almost Famous. He had a cameo as the tour manager for Humble Pie, his actual former group.

Has played guitar on albums for George Harrison, Ringo Starr, and David Bowie.

He appeared as himself on an episode of The Simpsons.

Peter's dad was Owen Frampton, who taught David Bowie at a technical arts school in the '60s. Peter followed him in school a few years later, and ended up playing guitar on Bowie's 1987 Glass Spider tour.

"Show Me The Way"

This is Frampton's biggest hit. It took off when he included the song on his 1976 album Frampton Comes Alive, which in the US was the best-selling album of 1976. The studio version was released as a single in 1975, but went nowhere. The live version is the hit.

On the intro to the live version, Frampton used a talkbox, a device hooked up to his guitar that allowed him to create amplified, distorted vocal sounds with his mouth. A talkbox is made with tubing connected to a compression driver (meant to be part of a P.A. system), with the other end going into the performer's mouth. The unit is then hooked up to the guitar amp.

The talkbox effect was a huge hit. Many musicians responded by buying one or trying to make their own. More than a few young people lost some cavities when they created faulty talkboxes and sent electric current into their mouths.

Frampton's songs "Baby, I Love Your Way" and "Do You Feel Like We Do" also became huge hits from his live album. These songs still get lots of airplay.

This was one of the first songs U2 performed as a group. They played it at their high school talent show using the band name Feedback.

"Baby I Love Your Way"

This is a very romantic love ballad. Frampton is telling his girl that he loves everything about her and wants to be with her day and night. 

This went nowhere when Frampton first released it as a single in 1975. The next year, he included it on his live album, Frampton Comes Alive, and it helped the album become a huge hit. The live version was the second single released from the album, after "Show Me The Way" and before "Do You Feel Like We Do."

Lisa Bonet sings this in the 1999 movie Hi Fidelity. John Cusak's character hates the song until he hears her sing it.

In 1988, the group Will To Power had a US #1 hit with a medley of this and "Free Bird ." That medley earned substantial royalties for Frampton.

Big Mountain hit #6 in the US with this in 1994. Their version was on the soundtrack to Reality Bites.

"Do You Feel like We Do"

This song is about a hangover. Frampton would often write from experience, and at the time he was experiencing the effects of a night of drinking.

When he woke up that morning there was a wine glass by his bed, and he wondered how it got there ("Whose wine? What wine? Where the hell did I dine?").

Still hungover, Frampton went to rehearsal and somehow remembered some chords he was playing the night before on his acoustic guitar. The band hashed out the tune and told Frampton to come up with some lyrics, to which he replied, "I can't, I have a really bad hangover." His bandmates told him to just write about that, which he did.

After forming Humble Pie in 1969, Peter Frampton left the band in 1971 and embarked on a solo career. "Do You Feel Like We Do" was released in 1973 on his second album, which was named after his backing group, Frampton's Camel.

This version runs 6:32, but was often extended during live shows where the band would do lots of improvisations during the song, often with Frampton scat singing parts of it. Always a crowd favorite, Frampton kept refining the song, which was recorded live on November 22, 1975 during a sold-out show at Memorial Hall at SUNY Plattsburgh. This recording was included on the 1976 landmark double album Frampton Comes Alive, which shot Frampton to stardom and became the best-selling live album ever, at least until live albums by Garth Brooks, Bruce Springsteen and The Eagles surpassed it.

On the live version, Frampton used a talkbox, a device hooked up to his guitar amp that allowed him to make distorted vocal sounds through a tube in his mouth. Other groups had success with the device around that time (Aerosmith used it on "Sweet Emotion" the year before), but Frampton became most associated with it thanks to his talkbox solo on this song.

Frampton it to a whole new level: every time he formed words, the crowd went nuts, especially when he sounded out "I want to thank you," which came out sounding like "I want to f--k you." Soon, teenagers were crafting homemade talkboxes to imitate Frampton, often learning lessons on the dangers of electricity along the way.

Frampton Comes Alive was conceived as a single album taken from a show at the Winterland Ballroom in San Francisco on June 14, 1975. When Jerry Moss, the head of Frampton's record company, heard it, he decided it should be a double album and commissioned a mobile recording for Frampton's Plattsburgh show and another one at the Long Island Arena.

The album was wildly successful, and even though "Do You Feel Like We Do" was three years old, it was still new to most listeners who were just discovering Frampton. "Show Me The Way" (which also featured a talkbox) and "Baby I Love Your Way" were the first singles released from the album (the studio versions of both songs appear on Frampton's 1975 self-titled album), followed by "Do You Feel Like We Do." Releasing three singles from a live album was unprecedented, but all three were hits, with "Show Me The Way" making #6 US and "Baby, I Love Your Way" peaking at #12.

The live version runs 14:15, and when Frampton toured to support the album, it would often extend to 20 minutes. Played as the last song before the encore, Frampton would leave the for a while during the instrumental passage, then return for the big finish. Disc jockeys often used it as a chance to grab a smoke or go to the bathroom.

This was the only song on the Frampton's Camel album that was written by the entire band: keyboard player Mick Gallagher, bass player Rick Wills, and drummer John Siomos, who had recently replaced Mike Kellie. The other original songs on the album were written entirely by Frampton, except for "All Night Long," which he wrote with Gallagher.

Frampton has always stressed the communal nature of this song: he sees it as a crowd participation number, with the audience as much a part of it as the band. After the first verse, the crowd would often take over on vocals and pick up on Frampton's gestures as he would point to emphasize the "you" in the title.

The live version of this song was a godsend to disc jockeys, who could put it on and take a 14-minute cigarette break (to give the voice that nice raspy sound). There were lots of FM rock stations with a freeform or album-oriented format at the time who eagerly played the track, and in some cases the entire album.

Board footera