Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23/7/2018 10:25 am  #1251

Re: 1001 albums you must hear before you die

Day 345.
Queen....................................A Night At The Opera   (1975)

A Night At The Opera  showcases why I went off of Queen, although all the tracks are well crafted, for me they were all over embellished, what I used to like about them (in the early days) was the raw power of their music and vocals. This album has some great songs on it, but everything is overproduced and manufactured in my humbles.

The one track that I have always loved "39" is simple and not overproduced, the rest are ok I suppose but some have been overplayed to the point of diluting any fondness I once had, summing up this album wont be going into my collection, just too meh fir me.

Bits & Bobs;

Have written about Queen previously (if interested)

The album got its name from the Marx Brothers film of the same name, which the band watched one night at the studio complex when recording.

A Night at the Opera has a wide range of styles, including ballads, songs in a music hall, hard rock tracks and progressive rock influences.

The album produced the band’s most successful single in the United Kingdom, “Bohemian Rhapsody,” which became their first U.K. number one and one of the best selling singles in both the U.K. and the world.

On its release, the album was a commercial success, debuting at number 1 in the U.K. and topping the charts for 4 non-consecutive weeks. In the United States, it reached number 4, which was the band’s strongest showing at the time.

Queen was known to be big in terms of sound and scale which is shown in their A Night at the Opera album.

All four members of Queen contributed to the album, showing their depth as a band.

The song “Death on Two Legs” from the album can be seen as Freddie Mercury’s hate letter to Queen’s first manager, Norman Sheffield, who was reputed to have mistreated the band and abused his role as their manager from 1972 to 1975.

Sheffield denied all allegation in his 2013 autobiography titled “Life on Two Legs: Set The Record Straight,” and referred to copies of the original 1972 management contracts between Sheffield and Queen.

During live performances, Mercury would start the song of by dedicating the song to, “a real motherfucker of a gentleman.”

In the Classic Albums documentary, which shows the making of A Night at the Opera, Brian May said that the band was surprised at the bitterness of Mercury’s lyrics.

The song “I’m in Love with My Car” was among Roger Taylor’s most famous songs in the entire Queen catalogue. The song was initially thought to be a joke by May.

The revving sounds at the end of the song were recorded by Taylor’s then current car, an Alfa Romeo.

The lyrics of the song were inspired by one of the band’s roadies, Johnathan Harris, whose Triumph TR4 was the “love of his life.” The song is dedicated to him as it stated on the album, “Dedicated to Johnathan Harris, boy racer to the end.”

When it came down to releasing the album’s first single, Taylor was so fond of the “I’m in Love with My Car” song that he urged Mercury to allow it to be on the B-side and reportedly locked himself in a cupboard until Mercury agreed.

“You’re My Best Friend” was Queen’s first single from the album and it was written by John Deacon.

Deacon composed the song while he was learning to play piano. The song was written for his wife, Veronica Tetzlaff and it was a top 10 hit.

The song “39” was May’s attempt to do a “sci-fi skiffle.” The song talks about a group of space explorers who go on a year long journey but, upon their return, find that a hundred years have passed because of time dilation; meaning that their loved ones have all either aged or died.

George Michael performed “39” at the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert on April 20, 1992. Michael stated that it was his favorite Queen song, claiming that he used to busk it on the London Underground.

The song “The Prophet’s Song” was composed by May. May stated that he wrote the song after a dream he had about a great flood while he was recovering from being sick while recording the Sheer Heart Attack album.

The song is over 8 minutes in length, which makes it Queen’s longest studio song.

The dream that May had was about The Great Flood, and the lyrics have references from the Bible and Noah’s Ark.

The song “Love of My Life” was written for Mercury’s girlfriend at the time, Mary Austin, and is one of his most covered songs.

“Love of My Life” was such a concert favorite that Mercury would often stop singing and allow the audience to take over.

"Bohemian Rhapsody" 

Freddie Mercury wrote the lyrics, and there has been a lot of speculation as to their meaning. Many of the words appear in the Qu'ran. "Bismillah" is one of these and it literally means "In the name of Allah." The word "Scaramouch" means "A stock character that appears as a boastful coward." "Beelzebub" is one of the many names given to The Devil.

Mercury's parents were deeply involved in Zoroastrianism, and these Arabic words do have a meaning in that religion. His family grew up in Zanzibar, but was forced out by government upheaval in 1964 and they moved to England. Some of the lyrics could be about leaving his homeland behind. Guitarist Brian May seemed to suggest this when he said in an interview about the song: "Freddie was a very complex person: flippant and funny on the surface, but he concealed insecurities and problems in squaring up his life with his childhood. He never explained the lyrics, but I think he put a lot of himself into that song."

Another explanation is not to do with Mercury's childhood, but his sexuality - it was around this time that he was starting to come to terms with his bisexuality, and his relationship with Mary Austin was falling apart.

Whatever the meaning is, we may never know - Mercury himself remained tight-lipped, and the band agreed not to reveal anything about the meaning. Mercury himself stated, "It's one of those songs which has such a fantasy feel about it. I think people should just listen to it, think about it, and then make up their own minds as to what it says to them." He also claimed that the lyrics were nothing more than "Random rhyming nonsense" when asked about it by his friend Kenny Everett, who was a London DJ.

The band were always keen to let listeners interpret their music in a personal way to them, rather than impose their own meaning on songs, and May stated that the band agreed to keep the personal meaning behind the song private out of respect for Mercury.

Mercury may have written "Galileo" into the lyrics for the benefit of Brian May, who is an astronomy buff. Galileo is a famous astronomer known for being the first to use a refracting telescope.

The backing track came together quickly, but Queen spent days overdubbing the vocals in the studio using a 24-track tape machine. The analog recording technology was taxed by the song's multitracked scaramouches and fandangos: by the time they were done, about 180 tracks were layered together and "bounced" down into sub-mixes. Brian May recalled in various interviews being able to see through the tape as it was worn so thin with overdubs. Producer Roy Thomas Baker also recalls Mercury coming into the studio proclaiming, "oh, I've got a few more 'Galileos' dear!" as overdub after overdub piled up.

Was Freddie Mercury coming out as gay in this song? Lesley-Ann Jones, author of the biography Mercury, thinks so.

Jones says that when she posed the question to Mercury in 1986, the singer didn't give a straight answer, and that he was always very vague about the song's meaning, admitting only that it was "about relationships." (Mercury's family religion, Zoroastrianism, doesn't accept homosexuality, and he made efforts to conceal his sexual orientation, possibly so as not to offend his family.)

After Mercury's death, Jones says she spent time with his lover, Jim Hutton, who told her that the song was, in fact, Mercury's confession that he was gay. Mercury's good friend Tim Rice agreed, and offered some lyrical analysis to support the theory:

"Mama, I just killed a man" - He's killed the old Freddie he was trying to be. The former image.

"Put a gun against his head, pulled my trigger, now he's dead" - He's dead, the straight person he was originally. He's destroyed the man he was trying to be, and now this is him, trying to live with the new Freddie.

"I see a little silhouetto of a man" - That's him, still being haunted by what he's done and what he is.

Queen made a video for the song to air on Top Of The Pops, a popular British music show, because the song was too complex to perform live - or more accurately, be mimed live on TOTP. Also, the band would be busy on tour during the single's release and thus unable to appear.

The video turned out to be a masterstroke, providing far more promotional punch than a one-off live appearance. Top Of The Pops ran it for months, helping keep the song atop the charts. This started a trend in the UK of making videos for songs to air in place of live performances.

When the American network MTV launched in 1981, most of their videos came from British artists for this reason. In the December 12, 2004 issue of the Observer newspaper, Roger Taylor explained: "We did everything we possibly could to avoid appearing in Top Of The Pops. It was one, the most boring day known to man, and two, it's all about not actually playing - pretending to sing, pretending to play. We came up with the video concept to avoid playing on Top Of The Pops."

The group had previously appeared on the show twice, to promote the "Seven Seas of Rhye" and "Killer Queen" singles.

The video was very innovative. It was the first where the visual images took precedence over the song. It was based on their Queen II album cover, with the four band members looking up into the shadows. Directed by Bruce Gowers, it was shot in 3 hours for £3,500 at the band's rehearsal space.

Gowers got the gig because he was one of the few people who had experience working on music videos - he ran a camera on a few Beatles promotional clips, including the one for "Paperback Writer." The two big effects used in the video were the multiple images that appear in the "thunderbolts and lightning section," which were created by putting a prism in front of the camera lens, and the feedback effect where the image of the singer travels to infinity, which was done by pointing a camera at a monitor (like audio feedback, this is something you usually tried to avoid, but when harnessed for artistic purposes, was innovative). At the time, the video looked high-tech and futuristic. It was also the first music "video" in the sense that it was shot on video instead of film.

This was Queen's first Top 10 hit in the US. In the UK, where Queen was already established, it was #1 for 9 weeks, a record at the time.

This got a whole new audience when it was used in the 1992 movie Wayne's World, starring Mike Myers and Dana Carvey. In the film, Wayne and his friends lip-synch to it in his car (the Mirth Mobile), spasmodically head-bobbing at the guitar solo. As a result of the movie, it was re-released as a single in the US and charted at #2 ("Jump" by Kris Kross kept it out of #1).

In America, this marked a turning point in Queen's legacy. The band's 1982 album Hot Space contained a side of disco-tinged tracks at a time when disco was anathema to rock fans. The album had disappointing sales in the US, and also cost Queen in credibility. Their tour to support the album would be Freddie Mercury's last with Queen in America, and the band was largely forgotten there for the rest of the decade. When Wayne's World revived "Bohemian Rhapsody," American listeners remembered how cool Queen really was, and they the ringing endorsement from Wayne and Garth to back them up.

At 5:55, this was a very long song for radio consumption. Queen's manager at the time, John Reid, played it to another artist he managed, Elton John, who promptly declared: "are you mad? You'll never get that on the radio!"

According to Brian May, record company management kept pleading with the group to cut the single down, but Freddie Mercury refused. It got a big bump when Mercury's friend Kenny Everett played it on his Capital Radio broadcast before the song was released (courtesy of a copy Mercury gave him). This helped the single jump to #1 in the UK shortly after it was released.

There was a single version released only in France on a 7", cut down to 3:18, edited by John Deacon, but beyond the initial pressing of this French single, the only version recognized is the album version, at 5:55. This little-heard French single started right at the piano intro, and edited out the operetta part. Brian May admitted that there may have been additional parts for the song on Freddie's notes, but they were apparently never recorded.

Brian May recalled recording "Bohemian Rhapsody" in Q Magazine March 2008: "That was a great moment, but the biggest thrill for us was actually creating the music in the first place. I remember Freddie coming in with loads of bits of paper from his dad's work, like Post-it notes, and pounding on the piano. He played the piano like most people play the drums. And this song he had was full of gaps where he explained that something operatic would happen here and so on. He'd worked out the harmonies in his head."

In 1991, this was re-released in the UK shortly after Freddie Mercury's death. It again went to #1, with proceeds going to the Terrence Higgins Trust, which Mercury supported.

Elton John performed this with Axl Rose at the 1992 "Concert For Life," held in London at Wembley Stadium. It was a tribute to Freddie Mercury, who died of AIDS the year before. In 2001, Elton John got together with Eminem, who like Axl Rose, was often accused of being intolerant and homophobic. They performed Eminem's "Stan" at the Grammys.

When this was re-released in the US, proceeds from the single went to the Magic Johnson AIDS Foundation. Johnson and Freddie Mercury were two of the first celebrities to get AIDS. Rock Hudson, who succumbed to the disease on October 2, 1985, was another.

Thanks to this track, A Night At The Opera was the most expensive album ever made at the time. They used 6 different studios to record it. Queen did not use any synthesizers on the album, which is something they were very proud of.

In an interview with Brian May and Roger Taylor on the Queen Videos Greatest Hits DVD, Brian said: "What is Bohemian Rhapsody about, well I don't think we'll ever know and if I knew I probably wouldn't want to tell you anyway, because I certainly don't tell people what my songs are about. I find that it destroys them in a way because the great thing about about a great song is that you relate it to your own personal experiences in your own life. I think that Freddie was certainly battling with problems in his personal life, which he might have decided to put into the song himself. He was certainly looking at re-creating himself. But I don't think at that point in time it was the best thing to do so he actually decided to do it later. I think it's best to leave it with a question mark in the air."

A Night At The Opera was re-released as an audio DVD in 2002 with the original video included on the disc. Commentary from the DVD reveals that this song had started taking shape in the song "My Fairy King" on Queen's debut album.

In 2002, this came in #1 in a poll by Guinness World Records as Britain's favorite single of all time. John Lennon's "Imagine" was #2, followed by The Beatles' "Hey Jude."

The name "Bohemian" in the song title seems to refer not to the region in the Czech republic, but to a group of artists and musicians living roughly 100 years ago, known for defying convention and living with disregard for standards. A "Rhapsody" is a piece of Classical music with distinct sections that is played as one movement. Rhapsodies often have themes.

Roger Taylor said, "Record companies both sides of the Atlantic tried to cut the song, they said it was too long and wouldn't work. We thought, 'Well we could cut it, but it wouldn't make any sense,' it doesn't make much sense now and it would make even less sense then: you would miss all the different moods of the song. So we said no. It'll either fly or it won't. Freddie had the bare bones of the song, even the composite harmonies, written on telephone books and bits of paper, so it was quite hard to keep track of what was going on." Kutner and Leigh's book also states that, the recording included 180 overdubs, the operatic parts took over 70 hours to complete and the piano Freddie played was the same one used by Paul McCartney on "Hey Jude."

Ironically, the song that knocked this off the #1 chart position in the UK was "Mama Mia" by Abba. The words "Mama mia" are repeated in this in the line "Oh mama mia, mama mia, mama mia let me go."

The story told in this song is remarkably similar to that in Albert Camus' book The Stranger. Both tell of a young man who kills, and not only can he not explain why he did it, he can't even articulate any feelings about it.

You can make the case that the song title is actually a parody, and a clever one at that. There is a rhapsody by the composer Franz Liszt called "Hungarian Rhapsody," and "Bohemia" is a kingdom that is near Hungary and was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Furthermore, "Bohemian" is an adjective for something unusual or against convention, and the song is just that.

So, "Bohemian Rhapsody" could be a clever title that not only parodies a famous work but also describes the song. In a nod to the Liszt composition, Queen would go on to release a live DVD/CD package in 2012 titled "Hungarian Rhapsody," featuring their famous shows behind the Iron Curtain in Budapest on the Magic tour in 1986.

Queen fans, and also Brian May, often colloquially refer to the song as "Bo Rhap" (or "Bo Rap").

The name "Bohemian Rhapsody" makes many appearances in popular culture:

Session 14 of the popular anime series Cowboy Bebop is named "Bohemian Rhapsody."

The Jones Soda Company has a drink named "Bohemian Raspberry" in honour of this song.

Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett used some of the lyrics in their book Good Omens . The main character (Crowley) plays it in his car all the time. They also refer to other Queen songs, but mostly "Bohemian Rhapsody."

In 2009, The Muppets Studio released a video featuring the Muppets performing this song. It was first web video for The Muppets, and it was extremely popular: the video was viewed over 7 million times the first week it was up. The furry ones changed the song a bit, omitting the lyrics that begin, "Mama, just killed a man" with Animal screaming "Mama!"

In an interview with Q magazine March 2011, Roger Taylor was asked if this seemed like a peculiar song when Mercury first suggested it? He replied: "No, I loved it. The first bit that he played to me was the verse. 'Mama, just killed a man, dah-dah-la-dah-daah, gun against his…' All that. I thought, 'That's great, that's a hit.' It was, in my head, a simpler entity then; I didn't know it was going to have a wall of mock Gilbert and Sullivan stuff, you know, some of which was written on the fly. Freddie would write these huge blocks of mass harmonies in the backs of phone books."

The song is one of Freddie Mercury's great mysteries - according to everyone in the band, only he knew truly how it would come together, and according to some sources, its genesis could have come many years earlier. Chris Smith, the keyboard player in Mercury's first band Smile, claimed that Freddie would play several piano compositions at rehearsals, including one called "The Cowboy Song," which started with the line, "mama, just killed a man."

In sharp contrast to the rest of the song's recording and composition, Brian May's signature solo before the opera section was recorded on only one track, with no overdubbing. He stated that he wanted to play "a little tune that would be a counterpart to the main melody; I didn't just want to play the melody."

It is one of his finest examples of creating a solo in his mind before playing it on guitar; something he did many times throughout Queen's career. His reasoning was always that "the fingers tend to be predictable unless being led by the brain."

Weird Al Yankovic took the entire song and sung it to a polka tune, called simply "Bohemian Polka," which is on his 1993 album Alapalooza.

In the 2018 film Bohemian Rhapsody, Rami Malek stars as Freddie Mercury. In May, the trailer was released, showing some scenes where the song is discussed, including a part where they record "the operatic section." There is also this exchange:

Record company executive: "It goes on forever! It's six bloody minutes!"

Mercury: "I pity your wife if you think six minutes is forever."

That record company executive is played by Mike Myers, who revived the song in Wayne's World.

I don't know a lot, but I know what I like!

23/7/2018 11:38 am  #1252

DAY 348.
Curtis Mayfield......................................Ther's No Place Like America Today   (1975)

In 1975, black American music was becoming very disco-orientated, with most songs simple celebrations of hedonism.

Mayfield reacted with, There's No Place Like America Today, one of the bleakest ever artistic comments on being black in the United States. The cover has a line of black people dwarfed by a huge billboard featuring a white family, it conveys the chasm between the American dream and street-level reality.

23/7/2018 7:46 pm  #1253

arabchanter wrote:

In the 2018 film Bohemian Rhapsody, Rami Malek stars as Freddie Mercury. In May, the trailer was released, showing some scenes where the song is discussed, including a part where they record "the operatic section." There is also this exchange:

That record company executive is played by Mike Myers, who revived the song in Wayne's World.

Rami Malek? Jings, he was the main man in Mr Robot, could never see him playing Freddie Mercury!

The Queen album is a bit dated now, but it has a rare, for the time, John Deacon song on it, You're my best friend, which stands the test of time for me.

23/7/2018 8:22 pm  #1254

PatReilly wrote:

arabchanter wrote:

Rami Malek? Jings, he was the main man in Mr Robot, could never see him playing Freddie Mercury!

The Queen album is a bit dated now, but it has a rare, for the time, John Deacon song on it, You're my best friend, which stands the test of time for me.

I liked Mr Robot, never twigged, good spot Pat

No' to sure about this movie, but it comes out at the end of October, and will probably wait for a good
download/stream.

Like a lot of Queen songs, "Your My Best Friend" suffered from blanket coverage from commercial radio, in my humbles.

24/7/2018 11:19 am  #1255

DAY 346.
Willie Nelson................................................Red Headed Stranger   (1975)

As far as country records go, this wasn't too bad, and any album that has a line like "you can't hang a man for killin' a woman who's tryin' to steal your horse,"in it is surely worth a listen.

This album is 100% country/western/cowboy, you can almost smell the horseshit, for me this would be ok to listen to as background, with not too much volume just enough to attract your ear and no more, I would love to buy this, just because I like the cover, and Willie Nelson seems like a boy I would like have a drink with, but finances being what they are, this album wont be going into my collection.

Bits & Bobs;

The Fascinating Story Behind Willie Nelson’s ‘Red Headed Stranger’

Like the imposing chimes of a grandfather clock, the six opening chords of Willie Nelson’s landmark  Red Headed Stranger signaled a new hour for music. A dark, rambling, bare-bones tale about a man’s jealous rage and his path to self-forgiveness, it cemented Nelson’s legacy as one of country’s greatest storytellers and proved that concept records were not exclusively rock’s domain. 40 years later, we look back at the impact of the complex album and its unlikely success.

First, some backstory. Nelson grew up on the plains of Depression-era Texas, and after his parents split, he and sister Bobbie were raised by their grandparents. At the age of six he was given a guitar, and he never looked back. Many of his music’s enduring influences can be traced back to his surprisingly diverse hometown of Abbot.His Mexican neighbors gifted him a lasting appreciation for music from south of the border. Having Czechoslovakian neighbors meant constant exposure to waltzing and polka dancing, whose hobbling downbeats are still crucial to modern country. And going to church every Sunday meant plenty of gospel got stuck in the young man’s head.

In 1973, Willie Nelson was beginning to make a name for himself in Nashville. He had just signed a $25,000 contract with Atlantic’s country branch in Music City ($133,000 in today’s money) and had released two successful records with them, Shotgun Willie and Phases and Stages (another concept record, about divorce).

But Atlantic decided to shutter its country experiment, which left Nelson without a label. His savvy manager Neil Reshen phoned up Columbia’s president Bruce Lundvall and negotiated a contract, but one that included a clause giving Nelson complete artistic control. This would prove to be a music biz anomaly, and Red Headed Stranger’s saving grace.

Leaving Nashville turned out to be blessing in disguise. There, the expectation was to be clean cut in countenance and studio. The album sounds the way it does in part thanks to Nelson’s relocation to Austin. Its burgeoning hippie movement, which is still going strong today, made Willie feel like a misfit who found a home with other misfits. No longer having to worry about image, Nelson was free to focus solely on his sound.

Nelson used to DJ a Fort Worth kids’ radio show from 1-1:30pm every day. It broadcasted tunes to exhausted parents who desperately wanted their children to nap for thirty minutes, and Nelson obliged them with songs like “Tale of the Red Headed Stranger” and Tex Ritter’s “Blood on the Saddle”, songs which might not be considered appropriate children’s music these days.

Years later, having been handed the reigns by CBS, Nelson’s then-wife (his third) Connie Koepke inspired him to take the original Red Headed Stranger and flesh it out, turning it into an aural western novel. Engineer Phil York lured Nelson to Autumn Sound Studio in Garland, Texas, and they set to work. Any instrumentation favored by the glossy hot country of the day was stripped away, leaving Nelson’s plucky acoustic guitar Trigger, upright bass, drums, piano (played by sister and frequent collaborator Bobbie), and occasional accordion, mandolin, and harmonica. The sessions didn’t take long. Harp player Mickey Raphael said part of the reason the concept album is so sparse is because it was recorded live – there were very few do-overs. Bassist Bobby Earl Smith even claims that their version of “Blue Eyes” was a one-take recorded with everyone sitting in a circle. Like an intimate house show, the songs are spare but expansive and perfectly mic’d.

The songs – vignettes, really – are mostly only at or under two minutes. They ingeniously alternate between the Stranger’s first-person travels and an omnipresent third-person narration, giving his voyage a fated feel, as if the Stranger is being watched from above with great care.

After the first “Time of the Preacher”, a refrain repeated and modified throughout side one, the story begins. The Stranger loves his wife dearly but thinks she’s cheating on him; his suspicions are confirmed when, one day, he comes home to an empty house. He’s beyond distraught, and he cries “like a panther in the middle of the night.” He tries to forgive and forget, but the vacant hallways haunt him and his loneliness turns into a singular, coldblooded thirst for revenge. In “Blue Rock Montana”, he finds his ex and her new beau in a bar and shoots them so quickly, “they died with their smiles on their faces”.

It is precisely then that The Stranger becomes the Red Headed Stranger. He aimlessly wanders from town to town in a fog of self-loathing, riding a black stallion and toting behind him the pony formerly used by his wife. When a drunk woman pets the horse, he thinks she’s trying to steal it and shoots her straightaway. He once again escapes Johnny Law, the logic being: “You can’t hang a man for killing a woman / Who’s trying to steal your horse”. (Show of hands: who else is glad the Wild West is no longer a thing?)

If a picture is worth a thousand words, then so is the title of a lyric-less song, especially in the case of the handsome waltz “Just As I Am”. It ends side one but initiates the Stranger’s true quest for starting anew. Side two begins with our antihero meeting his new love in Denver; like the American Dream, he must move west to find his true self. The second half of the record is noticeably jollier, with songs like “Down Yonder” giving Benny Hill a run for his money.

Nothing about this record yodels ‘commercial smash.’ It flew in the face of current country practices, and many CBS execs fought not to put it out, claiming it sounded like a half-baked demo that no one would buy. “They thought I’d gone insane because there wasn’t that much there,” says Nelson of the now infamous board meetings. “I think Waylon Jennings shamed them into putting it out.” Since his contract stipulated complete creative control, no changes were made to the tapes, and the collection ended up more than surpassing expectations.

Ray Benson, who was working as a session guitarist in Nashville at the time, recalls colleagues getting angry and jealous at the album’s success, believing it was practically blasphemous and insubordinate to record country in so sparing a manner. But it did the trick. The Columbia Records release reached No. 1 on Billboard’s Top Country Albums chart and remained in the charts for 43 weeks. Its first single, “Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain”, won a Grammy for Best Male Country Vocal Performance. Less than a year later it was certified gold; 10 years from then, it was certified double platinum. It has also become a part of the National Recording Registry.

Rolling Stone has called it one of the top 500 greatest albums of all time, but CMT one-upped them and called it the best album of all time. CMJ has appropriately deemed it “the Sgt. Peppers of country music.” The album’s uncommonly lucrative no-frills attitude isn’t just for show – it’s just how Willie is. He remains humble despite his accomplishments. “I first saw him play in Wichita Falls sometime in the 1970s,” recalls outlaw disciple James McMurtry. “I was just fifteen or sixteen. And when he came out on stage, there was no big announcement. He just kind of snuck out from behind one of the speaker columns and started playing. I learned from that. That’s the way I come out on stage today.”

At the time of the record’s release, Nelson was on his third wife and fifth child; he had the same blue eyes and long red hair of his protagonist. Red Headed Stranger gave Nelson both an enduring nickname, and the crown jewel of his extraordinary discography. Its leanness has helped it float through the years, becoming an otherworldly, timeless classic.

“My lungs were bothering me and I’d had pneumonia two or three times. I was also smoking pot, and I decided, well, one of them’s gotta go. So I took a pack of Chesterfields and took all the Chesterfields out, rolled up 20 big fat ones and put [them] in there, and I haven’t smoked a cigarette since then.”

Nelson has hardly made a secret of regular marijuana use, or his support for its legalization. (His rap sheet of pot-related arrests certainly backs up those claims.) As more and more states are legalizing the once-outlawed weed, Nelson has put his expertise on the topic to good use, and launched his very own brand of pot:Willie's Reserve!

Last edited by arabchanter (24/7/2018 11:34 am)

24/7/2018 11:28 am  #1256

DAY 349.
Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers.............................................Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers   (1976)

Prophets without honour in their own country for a long while, Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers went top 20 in the U.K. and sold well in Germany and France before the groups native United States took any notice. The band added a new wave energy to songs that (with two exceptions) were written in an afternoon and recorded the same evening, "It was very fresh and really exciting, so I wanted the material to be fresh too," Petty recalled

25/7/2018 10:43 am  #1257

DAY 347.
Earth, Wind, And Fire...............................That's The Way Of The World   (1975)

This'll be quick, not really a big fan of EWAF or 70s funk for that matter, this album didn't "float my boat" at any point during it's 38 minutes.

None of the tracks even after a second playing, stood out, were memorable, in fact it was quite the forgettable album, to be fair I didn't mind a couple of their later singles, but would never have bought them, this album wont be going in my collection.

Bits & Bobs;

Earth, Wind & Fire got their name from drummer and founding member Maurice White's astrological sign. White's sign is Sagittarius, which has the primary elemental quality of Fire and the seasonal qualities of Earth and Air. "Earth, Air & Fire" didn't sound right, so "Air" became "Wind." White was previously in a band signed to Capitol Records called Salty Peppers; Maurice developed an interest in astrology and Egyptology while he was touring the world with them.

In 1975, Earth, Wind & Fire scored the soundtrack to a film about the dark side of the music industry called That's The Way of the World. EWF also appeared in the film as a band called "The Group." When Harvey Keitel's character sees "The Group" live, he produces their first album. The movie was a bomb but EWF's soundtrack was a huge hit, spending three weeks at #1.

A white songwriter named Allee Willis co-wrote several hits with the band, including "September" and "Boogie Wonderland." Allee told us that before writing with the band, Maurice White had her read the book "The Greatest Salesman In The World"

In 1995, Earth, Wind & Fire received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Several of the band's original members attended the unveiling ceremony. Later that year, drummer and founding member Maurice White announced that he would no longer be touring with the rest of the band, leaving Philip Bailey to handle most of the vocal duties at concerts.

Following the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, Earth, Wind & Fire held a benefit concert in Virginia to raise money for the American Red Cross. The show raised $25,000 for the charity. The band also performed at the closing ceremonies for the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City, Utah.

In 2004, Earth, Wind & Fire performed as part of a tribute to funk music at the 46th annual Grammy Awards in Los Angeles. The band was joined onstage by Parliament Funkadelic, Robert Randolph and the Family Band, and OutKast, who incorporated their hit "The Way You Move" into the mash-up.

President Barack Obama is a fan of Earth, Wind & Fire. In 2009, the group became one of the first musical acts to play at the White House since Obama took office in late 2008. The band played at the Governors' Dinner.

Sometimes bands find inspiration in unlikely places. The Swedish metal band Meshuggah has stated that Earth, Wind & Fire was the source of inspiration behind their 1995 album Destroy Erase Improve.

Tragedy struck the Earth, Wind & Fire family in 1993 when original saxophonist Don Myrick was fatally shot by a police officer. When attempting to serve a search warrant, the officer mistook a butane lighter in Myrick's hand for a weapon. Myrick was shot once in the chest and later died in hospital. In 1995, Myrick's family settled a wrongful death lawsuit against the city of Los Angeles for $400,000.

"Shining Star"

Written by group members Maurice White, Larry Dunn and Philip Bailey, this was a #1 hit on both the R&B and Hot 100 charts. While many hits of the disco era were fun but meaningless, Earth, Wind & Fire considered all their songs meaningful, and this one projects a positive message in a turbulent time. To get a better idea, check out this quote from Maurice White from a 1975 Blues & Soul interview:

"There are certain disciplines we apply to our life in respect of diet and living, the way we live. There are certain aspects which have to be kept clean, things that relate directly to the Creator. By adopting a totally positive approach to our life, we can reflect this in our music - we won't allow it to reflect any negative vibes or thoughts. All our music is 'up' in the sense that it is intended to bring people to that state. It is truly gratifying to know that we are finally getting to people, they are accepting us."

Want to get deeper into White's vibe? Check out the book The Greatest Salesman In The World, which he had Allee Willis read before she collaborated with the group.

That's The Way Of The World was the soundtrack to a movie of the same name starring a young Harvey Keitel as a record producer and Earth, Wind & Fire as the group he worked with. The movie was a colossal flop, but the album was a huge hit, capturing the sound of the band's successful stage show on vinyl and going to #1 on the album charts, making EW&F the first R&B group to top the US album and Pop charts at the same time. The album was the biggest seller for Columbia Records in 1975, and helped prove that black bands could sell albums, not just singles - something Maurice White took a lot of pride in.

The failure of the movie didn't drag down the band thanks in part to Maurice White refusing to let the album be labeled a soundtrack. When the film was re-issued in America, it was with a new title: Shining Star.

Earth, Wind & Fire wrote and recorded the That's The Way Of The World album in Nederland, Colorado, which is outside of Boulder. Maurice White says he came up with the idea for this song after taking a walk one night and seeing a shining star in the sky. He took the phrase and directed it toward a positive message for the lyrics.

This won a Grammy for Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals.

This has been used in a variety of movies and TV shows. Among them: Glee, Seinfeld (used in a classic scene where Elaine tries to dance), Austin Powers in Goldmember, My Name Is Earl, and Muppets from Space.

"That's The Way Of The World"

This song was written for the low-budget movie of the same name about the corruption of a record label. It starred a young Harvey Keitel and was produced by Sig Shore of Super Fly fame).

Earth, Wind & Fire's brothers Maurice and  wrote this song with Verdine White their producer, Charles Stepney.

Pentatonix and Stevie Wonder performed an a cappella version of this song at the Grammy Awards in 2016 in honor of Maurice White, who died two months earlier.

"Reasons"

That's The Way Of The World was originally part of a movie of the same name - a low-budget flick about the corruption of the record business starring a young Harvey Keitel. Although the movie flopped, the soundtrack effectively launched the commercial success of Earth, Wind & Fire. A live (and more popular) version of this song is on the Gratitude album.

Featuring the falsetto vocals of Earth, Wind & Fire singer Philip Bailey, this popular wedding R&B ballad is actually about a one-night stand: "I'm longing to love you just for a night."

Maurice and Verdine White of Earth, Wind & Fire wrote this song with Charles Stepney, who was an arranger/piano player at Chess Records when Maurice worked there as a staff drummer in the '60s. Stepney did a lot of work with Earth, Wind & Fire when the band was starting out, and he did a lot of the writing and production on the That's The Way Of The World project. Stepney had a lot of experience in a studio and helped the young group create a very refined sound. He died of a sudden heart attack in 1976.

25/7/2018 12:19 pm  #1258

DAY 350.
The Modern Lovers......................................The Modern Lovers   (1976)

Bostonian Jonathan Richman had been an avid Velvet Underground fan, hence the stripped-down sound of his first band, The Modern Lovers, whose original recording lineup featured drummer David Robinson (The Cars) keyboard player Jerry Harrison (Talking Heads) and bassist Ernie Brooks.

Warner Bros. booked the band into a California studio for sessions first produced by John Cale then Kim Fowley. Richman had a penchant for modern hymns.....to the macho lifestyle of painter Pablo Picasso in a song covered by Cale himself and later Bowie, and to the eternally appealing call of the road on the two chord classic "Roadrunner," covered by a legion of garage bands since, perhaps most famously the Sex pistols.

25/7/2018 10:11 pm  #1259

DAY 348.
Curtis Mayfield......................................Ther's No Place Like America Today   (1975)

Have got to say I love the album cover, although the original picture doesn't portray the impression Mr Mayfield, in my opinion is trying to suggest.

The original by Magaret Bourke-White (more about this in Bits & Bobs)

Anyways, the album was a bit too slow and lacking any form of energy for me, and there is only so much wah-wah this poor listener can handle and to be honest his vocals may be alright in small doses but a whole album can shred your nerves.

You know when you get that itch/tingle inside your ear, and it seems too far inside your ear to reach and stop that irritating buzz, so you stick your finger in your ear and wiggle it round and round like a bastard, as fast as you can, and you stop, and its gone, and it's almost like an orgasmic moment (at my age I take what I can get,) well that was me when he stopped singing on the last track, fuckin hallelujah.

So as you have probably deduced, this album wont be coming near my neighbourhood. (but would welcome the cover, as long as it was empty)

Bits & Bobs;

Have already written about Mayfield ( if interested)

The picture is justly famous; although, like many pictures which resonate with their time, the true circumstances of its origin differ somewhat from the projected message. The camera never lies, but it equivocates.

A line of figures queues across the frame on the big-city sidewalk, all of them overcoated and be-hatted, many carrying baskets, buckets or bags, every one of them black. One or two eye the camera, maybe with curiosity, but with no friendliness or approval. Others look uneasily away from it or pointedly, resentfully ignore it. Yet others are simply unaware of the spying lens. They look ahead or nowhere in particular, faces unreadably glum - except for one man who seems to smile at a private thought. Each has the air of someone forced to endure what should be a personal moment in public, reacting with shame or anger, defiance or resignation.

The picture must date from the Thirties, evoking as it does the Great Depression. Obviously, these people are awaiting a handout. Equally obviously, this is the last resort for them. They look like solid folk, driven by circumstance, by the failings of a callous and careless economic system, into the door of a soup kitchen.

In fact, history never being so helpfully pat, they are victims of the weather, lining up for flood relief. The picture tells an entirely true story of its era, and of race in the USA, much as photographs from Hurricane Katrina do. It just so happens it might as easily date from the boom-time Twenties for all it has to do directly with the Depression - were it not for the punchline, the compelling irony that drew the lens and made the image a classic. Behind and above the line of unwilling supplicants, dwarfing them and devouring the centre of the photograph, stands an enormous billboard. A smart little car, hugely magnified, charges out of from the hoarding straight towards the queue. Inside it, a smart little white family, wholesome - loathsomely so, to today's eye - grotesquely clean and happy, smile in wonder and delight at the bleak vista below. (All bar the mother, who wears an expression of smug arrogance worthy of any Third Reich fraulein.) Across the poster, in exuberant, climbing letters, runs the slogan: "There's No Place Like America Today".

Recreated, in tinted form, from Margaret Bourke-White's 1937 monochrome original, 'At The Time Of The Louisville Flood', and with the original advertising slogan adapted from "There's No Way Like The American Way", this is the cover of Curtis Mayfield's album of the same name. He couldn't have picked a more apt one; the record evokes its own time and place as surely as the picture represents the chasm between American dreams and street-level reality. 1975 was, for many in the cities of the USA, a particularly wretched time, one which even now carries the aura of winter, of hangover, of chills and meanness and struggle.

America's mid-seventies are best remembered for their political events. The Nixon administration had packed up its tent to the accompaniment of national derision and delusion. The music and art, the journalism, films and novels of the moment reflect shock and disenchantment and outright paranoia - this last being one of Richard Nixon's own particular contributions - following revelations that the government of the USA had acted in ways that would have given the Cosa Nostra, if not sleepless nights, then at least a few handy pointers.

But to many people, that didn't matter a damn. They had never expected anything better from the government anyway. What Nixon and his goons were up to was of far less import than the recession into which America had slumped. And those who felt it first and hardest were America's urban blacks, in towns such as Detroit, where the car industry was concussed by huge oil price rises. The message of Mayfield's album cover was clear. 40 years, and what's changed? Civil rights marches, changes in legislation, voting rights, LBJ's efforts to revive FDR's Great Society, and what's changed?

Mayfield is best known as a master of fluid funk; as the creator of every funk-lover's favourite song ever, 'Move On Up', and thus as a positive and inspirational force; as a Blaxploitation soundtrack genius and consequently a seriously hip figure in the pantheon of Seventies music regenerated as style; and as a major influence during the early, pimpmobile days of Gangsta. (Ice T freely acknowledged that he was up to his armpits in hock to Mayfield.)

Few remember him as a chronicler of austere times. Subtle and seraphic lovejuice maestro Marvin Gaye takes due credit for his ravishing and less sophisticated political opus, What's Going On; but There's No Place Like America Today seems to be missing from the canon. Mayfield is generally accorded his due, but one seldom sees mention of this particular record. A shame, because it's a masterwork.

There's No Place Like America Today is a record of its time, which has its own fascination; but it's also an album of timeless intrigue. The world it portrays is very cold indeed, and the comfort it offers is as spare as its measured, melancholy funk. But it's comfort nonetheless, something buried so deep in the music that maybe those of us whose bones have never ached, day in, day out, on hard city streets - and good for us, I say - can't really get to grips with it.

Mayfield's music is as restrained and insinuating on There's No Place Like America Today as it would ever be. His fluting falsetto, rather than being carried on the tide (as it was on 'Move On Up' et al), draws the instruments behind it. There are no breaks, no crescendos. The album never loses its mood of gentle insistence. It may be most sombre funk record ever made, which doesn't sound like much of a commendation. But it isn't sombre in the manner of, say, the grey-coated, white cerebro-funkers of the early Eighties. It's not heavy, dour or miserable. It's light on its feet, delicate, but no less serious for that. It sounds like an honest response to the mood of its times - Mayfield may have felt that he could hardly sound the call to party when so many of his audience were finding it difficult enough to get though the week.

THE opening number of There's No Place Like America Today sees a convict, on the day of his release, find out about the shooting of an old friend, the 'Billy Jack' of the song title. The track, far from resembling a dirge, takes the form of tremulous piece of butterfly funk, as if Billy Jack's death were too predictable an event to be truly mourned: "Too bad about him - too sad about him/Don't get me wrong - the man is gone/But it's a wonder he lived this long." In almost miraculously concise fashion, Mayfield tells you everything you need to know about Billy Jack: "Up in the city they called him Boss Jack/But down home he was an alley cat/Ah! didn't care nothin' bout bein' black." And now he's dead, plugged in some petty criminal exchange. The whole history of the man is contained within; you could take that cameo and write a life from it. But first you'd have to tear your attention away from the song itself, which is as tight and irresistible as any of Mayfield's more upbeat work. As well as being as musical titan on the basis of his songwriting and record-making, Mayfield was an astonishing guitarist, with a style so cunning and fluent that attempts to copy it have often go clumsily awry.

'When Seasons Change' could be the keynote address of 1975; so much so that temptation is to simply reprint the entire lyric and leave it at that. Certainly, it's the thematic cornerstone of the record. The onset of winter, the struggle to survive, the cold landscape, riddled with predators. "A lot of scars - the kind that scare you to remember/Scuffin' times - in seeing people trying to put you down/For goodness sakes/People trying to take what you know that you've found." But, as throughout There's No Place Like America Today , Mayfield shows no interest in attributing blame for the harsh situations he describes- or perhaps, rather, he considers the primary source of the trouble so obvious as not to require pointing out. The reproach to the powers that be is as strong and implicit as it is in the album's cover image. But if there is a message at the heart of the LP, it's "Look to yourselves." Even in 'Jesus', he points to Christ not with pie-in-the sky religiosity, nor as the traditional source of divine love in adversity, but simply as a human role model: "He never had a hustlin' mind/Doin' crime - wastin' time."

'Blue Monday People' and 'Love To The People' follow the same idea, of seeking strength and warmth in the hearts of yourself and others. For a political album - and There's No Place Like America Today is deeply political, if unspecifically so - this is a remarkable premise, one on which Mayfield had been building since his sublime and generous Impressions song, 'Choice Of Colors'. His message appears to be: Yes, things are terrible, and through no fault of your own; but how will you respond? What will you choose? We will sink or swim together, Mayfield always insisted; the same message that he had put in more scathing fashion five years previously on the magnificent, apocalyptic '(Don't Worry) If There's a Hell Below, We're All Going to Go'.

From any more privileged quarter this would unquestionably be odious bootstrap piffle. Mayfield has a right to ask the question, though, brother to brother, as he so often did. It's almost as though we're listening in on a private conversation.Maybe this makes No Place Like America sound as if it's a preaching kind of album. That's not the case. It's much less so than What's Going On, for instance. There's nothing didactic in the tone of the record. That never was Mayfield's way.

'Hard Times' is nothing more than what it appears to be; a lament for the collapse of decency, and the downward spiral of black-on-black violence. Although it's never openly stated, No Place Like America portrays the comedown from the Sixties. For affluent white kids, that decade may have meant peace and love (ie. plenty of drugs and unlimited opportunities for boys to sleep with girls too frightened of appearing repressed to complain about bad and/or unwanted sex), and the chance to play at being revolutionaries. For blacks, it meant political and social gains on a previously unimaginable scale; gains that by 1975 seemed to be reversed, in practice, at every turn. True, some of the promises of the Sixties were fulfilled; America has developed a large black middle class, a process which was well under away by the mid-Seventies. But it was those left behind who were the subject of Mayfield's album - the Seventies equivalents of the hard-worn folk on the cover, whose own present day successors have no reason to feel much differently. There's No Place Like America Today is a record of its time, all right, but it's a sad fact it is also a record of ours.

From beginning to end, There's No Place Like America Today trickles like cold quicksilver. It feels deft and spare, which is curious, as it's not a minimal album; arranger Rick Tufo was lavish with the strings and horns. There is no drama about it, no wailing or wringing of hands. It is deeply funky. As on all of Mayfield's records, nothing is wasted. No surplus flesh. That it should be so low-key, so understated, that it should deal unflinchingly with such a desolate theme and still be such an affecting source of pleasure, is as fine a testament to Mayfield's genius as any of its better known predecessors in that extraordinary run of great releases to which it proved a coda.

26/7/2018 11:43 am  #1260

DAY 351.
David Bowie............................................Station to Station   (1976)

In 1976, Bowie's life was in chaos, his open marriage with Angie had collapsed and he was trying to cope with cocaine and alcohol addiction, increasingly paranoid, he had become obsessed with UFOs, occultism and Adolf Hitler.

The album was a transition both artistically (moving from plastic soul toward electronic minimalism) and personally (inspiring him to clean up his addictions before relocating to Berlin) It remains one of Bowie's most accomplished and enduring works.

26/7/2018 11:47 pm  #1261

DAY 349.
Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers.............................................Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers   (1976)

Liked this one a lot, not a problem listening to any of the tracks, I remember hearing Tom Petty back in the 70s, and instantly liked him, something seemed that bit different, not edgey but certainly not the norm.

Although all the tracks were passable, obviously "American Girl" stands out, but I also liked "Breakdown" and "Anything That's Rock 'n' Roll" but my personal favourite was "Hometown Blues,"

Tom did me a "solid" by keeping the length down to just over half an hour, not one track longer than four minutes and for that reason alone I should really buy the vinyl, but to be honest I've got a greatest hits CD with the ones I particularly like on this album plus his later stuff, so this album although very good wont be going into my collection.

Bits & Bobs;

The band formed in Gainesville, Florida, home of the University of Florida (The Gators). The first version of the band was called Mudcrutch, and included Petty and Campbell. They became popular in Florida, and occasionally played shows with another Florida band, Lynyrd Skynyrd. The only Mudcrutch song released was a single called "Depot Street."

Petty went by "Tommy Petty" until he started releasing albums - he went with "Tom Petty" because it looked better in print. Friends from before this time called him "Tommy."

When they made their album Hard Promises, MCA wanted to sell it for $9.98, which was $1 more than what most albums cost. Petty protested and threatened to name the album "$8.98," so the label backed off and released it at the lower price. Petty's vehemence in releasing the album at the $8.98 price is reflected on the Hard Promises album cover. In the lower right-hand corner, there are albums in a record bin. The album at the front of the right side of the bin shows the $8.98 price.

The band appeared in the 1978 movie FM, which was the inspiration for the TV show WKRP In Cincinnati. Petty has also been in the movies Made In Heaven and The Postman.

In 1988, Petty joined Jeff Lynne, Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison and George Harrison in The Traveling Wilburys. Harrison and Orbison played on Petty's 1989 album Full Moon Fever, which was produced by Lynne. The band toured with Dylan in 1986. In an interview with Esquire magazine, Petty said: "The great thing about the Wilburys was that none of us had to take the heat by ourselves. I was just a member of the band. Nobody felt like he was above anybody else. We had such a good time."

Their first success was in the UK, where they toured as a support act for Nils Lofgren in 1977. This got them some TV appearances in Britain, and the single "Anything That's Rock 'n' Roll" reached #36 there that summer. It wasn't until February 1978 that they cracked the American Top 40 with ".Breakdown"

In 1987, Petty's house was destroyed by fire in what was determined to be arson.

The albums Full Moon Fever and Wildflowers were credited as Tom Petty solo albums, but most of The Heartbreakers played on them.

Their videos have won several MTV Video Music Awards. In 1994, they received a Video Vanguard award for lifetime achievement.

Epstein died in 2003. Personal problems and drug addiction caused him to leave the band a year earlier, and it is likely that drugs played a role in his death.

The original Mudcrutch guitarist was Tom Leadon, brother of Eagles guitarist Bernie Leadon. Tom Leadon left the band, but before his departure, Petty played bass.

For about two years starting in 1986, they toured with Bob Dylan as his backing band.

Petty appeared in The Simpsons 2002 episode "How I Spent My Strummer Vacation," where he shows Homer how to write lyrics. They come up with a song about a sexy girl walking down the street who is concerned with budget problems in public schools.

In 1999, the band received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

A seminal moment in Petty's life came when he was 11 years old and met Elvis Presley on the set of the movie Follow That Dream in Ocala, Florida. This is when Petty started playing guitar.

Petty disowned the group's 1999 album Echo, feeling it was not up to snuff. He said he was going through a divorce and in no condition to make an album, but a record was due and he was pressured to make it.

They signed their record deal with Shelter Records, but in 1979, Shelter was acquired by MCA, and Petty had a lot of problems working with the label. When it appeared Petty was in debt to MCA, he filed bankruptcy. MCA sued him, and they agreed to let Petty record under a label they set up specifically for him called Backstreet Records.

At the request of producer Rick Rubin, they backed Johnny Cash on his 1996 album Unchained. Petty considered it some of their best playing.

He was Luanne Platter’s husband on King Of The Hill.

Tom Petty made a rare foray into the world of voice acting when he played Lucky, a redneck who lucked out when he “slipped on pee-pee” at a gas station and won $53,000 in the resulting lawsuit. Eventually Lucky would also win the affections of Hank Hill’s niece, Luanne, and they would later get married and have a child. Towards the end of the show’s run, Petty was more or less a regular part of King Of The Hill's cast, even though he was still credited as a guest star. One can only hope that if a radio interviewer asked him if it was difficult to transition from music to acting, he would respond with "would you ask Billy Bob Thornton that"

He’s been immortalized in the world of hip-hop… albeit with a different spelling of his name.

In 2012, Little Dragon, Killer Mike, and Big Boi released the song “Thom Pettie,” which features the chorus “Thom Pettie that ho/Free falling, we out all night.” In an interview with the Canadian site Metro News, Big Boi claimed that “Tom Pettying” or “Thom Pettieing” simply referred to having a wild, unpredictable night out that could take you anywhere. This was originally referred to as “free falling,” and eventually morphed into “Tom Pettying.” I have no cue how Tom feels about this — neither does Big Boi — but… I guess he should be flattered? I mean, Big Boi and Killer Mike are hip-hop legends, so that’s pretty cool, even though they’ve both done far better work than “Thom Pettie.”

He turned down a chance to record “The Boys Of Summer,” and it became a huge hit for Don Henley.

In 1984, Heartbreakers guitarist Mike Campbell was working on a demo for what we become “The Boys Of Summer.” He offered the track to Petty, but he balked at it's heavy use of synthesizers, Campbell then offered the track to Don Henley, who wrote the lyrics, and had a huge hit. It’s interesting to think what the song would have become in the hands of Petty, but that’s a mystery that will never be resolved.

The first album Petty ever bought was Playboy, a 1962 R&B hit by the Marvelettes. 12-year-old Petty cashed in Coke bottles to raise the $3 he needed to buy the record.

Petty successfully sued the tire company B.F. Goodrich for $1 million after they used a jingle in a 1987 TV commercial that bore remarkable resemblances to his song, “Mary’s New Car.”

Petty appeared on The Simpsons episode “How I Spent My Strummer Vacation” (season 14, episode 2), alongside other rock greats Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Lenny Kravitz, Elvis Costello, and Brian Setzer.

Petty’s wedding in 2001 to his second wife, Dana York, was officiated by rock and roll legend Little Richard.

Petty worked for a time as a gravedigger in his youth. So, coincidentally, did Joe Strummer of the Clash and Dave Vanian of the Damned.

Petty, a native of Florida, very publicly changed his mind about the Confederate flag late in his career. The Heartbreakers had used Confederate insignia to market their 1985 album Southern Accents, but Petty later said that this was “a downright stupid thing to do.” He maintained “good feelings for the South” and its “wonderful people,” but he explained that “when they wave that flag, they aren’t stopping to think how it looks to a black person. I blame myself for not doing that,” he added. “I should have gone around the fence and taken a good look at it.”

As a member of the 1980s supergroup the Traveling Wilburys, Petty collaborated with Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison, George Harrison, and Jeff Lynne. All five band members adopted pseudonyms as members of the fictional Wilbury clan. On their first album, the triple-platinum Traveling Wilburys, Vol. 1 (1988), Petty was known as Charlie T. Wilbury, and on their second album, the misleadingly named Vol. 3 (1990), he was Muddy Wilbury.

Petty’s final appearance was at a sold-out show at the Hollywood Bowl on September 25, 2017, one week before his death. The concert concluded a summer tour, partly in celebration of the 40th anniversary of the Heartbreakers, which Petty had called their “last trip around the country.”  As show came to a close, he grabbed the mic and said, “We love you dearly. I want to thank you for 40 years of a really great time. We’re almost out of time. We got time for this, right here.”

"Breakdown"

At first, the distinctive guitar lick, courtesy of Heatbreaker Mike Campbell, was only used at the end of the song. A singer named Dwight Twilley came by the studio when Petty was playing it back and suggested they use it throughout the song. Petty liked the idea, and called the band back to the studio in the middle of the night to re-record it. Twilley, who had a hit in 1975 with "I'm On Fire," was signed to the same label as Petty, and was on the same career path for a while. Petty sang on some of Twilley's songs, including his 1984 hit "Girls."

Lyrically more sparse than most Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers tracks, "Breakdown" finds Petty ready to end a union that has become toxic. "Go ahead and give it to me," he tells her.

When the band first recorded this song, it was 7-minutes long, with an extended guitar solo at the end. The final version clocks in at a tidy 2:43.

This was Petty's first single. When it was first released in January 1977 it went nowhere, but after months of touring, it was re-released in October and made it to #40 in the US.

This was featured in the 1978 movie FM. About a radio station in California, the movie was the basis for the TV show WKRP in Cincinnati. This was also included on the soundtrack.

"American Girl"

A track from the first Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers album, "American Girl" was never a hit, but it became one of their most popular songs. Part of its lasting appeal is its intrigue, as it is the subject of an urban myth that reads as follows:

The University of Florida is located in Petty's hometown of Gainesville, Florida. A dorm at the school, Beatty Towers, provided the backdrop to a popular urban legend at UF as well as the story behind this song. The story was that there was this virginal, All-American, debutante sort of girl, blonde locks and all, who decided to take hallucinogens for the first time while in her room at Beatty Towers. This being the 1960's and the age of limitless possibilities, it was pretty common to do something like that, especially in a college setting. Apparently, the girl thought she could fly, so she exited through the window and arrived face first on the concrete below. Some modern minstrels like to add that she jumped from the 13th floor, but this is probably part of campus lore. This incident was a big deal in Gainesville, which was still a picturesque Southern college town. It represented the end of innocence experienced by baby-boomers during the 1970's. Using it as inspiration, Tom Petty wove a captivating and poignant song based on this story for his first album and the rest is history. Expanding on the concept of innocence lost, this song speaks volumes and resonates even today. Beatty Towers are by State Road 441, which is mentioned in the second verse.

Tom Petty said of this song: "I wrote that in a little apartment I had in Encino. It was right next to the freeway and the cars sometimes sounded like waves from the ocean, which is why there's the line about the waves crashing on the beach. The words just came tumbling out very quickly - and it was the start of writing about people who are longing for something else in life, something better than they have."

Mike Campbell has been The Heartbreakers' guitarist since they formed the band. Here's what he told us about this song: "We used to have people come up to us and tell us they thought it was about suicide because of the one line about 'if she had to die,' but what they didn't get was, the whole line is 'if she had to die trying.' Some people take it literally and out of context. To me it's just a really beautiful love song. It does have some Florida imagery."

Mike Campbell said: "We cut that track on the 4th of July. I don't know if that had anything to do with Tom writing it about an American girl."

Even though Petty and his band were from the US, this caught on in England long before it got any attention in America. As a result, Petty started his first big tour in the UK, where this was a bigger hit.

This was featured in the 1991 movie Silence Of The Lambs. It was used in a scene where a female character is listening to it in a car before she meets Buffalo Bill, a serial killer who abducts her.

The Goo Goo Dolls played this at the 2001 "Concert For New York," a benefit show organized by Paul McCartney. Classic rockers like The Who and David Bowie were big hits among the crowd of police officers and firefighters, and they responded very well when The Goo Goo Dolls played this.

Petty gave his reaction to the performance: "I was watching the 9/11 concert in New York and the Goo Goo Dolls played 'American Girl.' I could see the crowd cheering in this really patriotic context. But it was just a story when I wrote it. In my mind, the girl was looking for the strength to move on, and she found it. It's one of my favourites."

Petty credits their producer, Denny Cordell, with helping him understand the importance of crafting a story in the lyrics to this song. Petty says Cordell told him, "When you put a little truth in a song, it elevates things."

In the Bob Dylan tradition, Petty doesn't have a typical singing voice, but as heard in this song, he writes compelling lyrics that he delivers with conviction.

Petty and the Heartbreakers played this to open their set at the halftime show of the Super Bowl in 2008.

Petty told Mojo that the girl in this song was not based anyone in particular. "She was a composite, a character who yearned for more than had life had dealt her."

Hillary Clinton used this song at her campaign rallies when she was running against Barack Obama for the Democratic nomination. The choice was based solely on the title, as they lyric about desperate longing wasn't the message she was trying to get across.

This was the last song that Tom Petty ever performed. His final gig was at the legendary Hollywood Bowl on September 25, 2017 and the rock veteran closed his set with "American Girl." Petty died a week later at UCLA Santa Monica Hospital on October 2, 2017 following a cardiac arrest.

RIP

Last edited by arabchanter (26/7/2018 11:51 pm)

27/7/2018 11:00 am  #1262

DAY 352.
Joni Mitchell.............................................Hejira   (1976)

Joni Mitchell, sat at the apex of the pop music universe, adored by most critics and millions of fans for a series of brilliant, often achingly personal albums, a run that culminated wit the monster hit Court And Spark. She then had the nerve to follow her muse into a smoke, jazz-drenched dive, a journey that led to her most supple and graceful album.

Composed on the road, it is the only Mitchell album on which every tune is written on and for the guitar. The album's name stems from the prophet Muhammad's journey of exile from Mecca to Medina.

27/7/2018 2:00 pm  #1263

Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers: never really got into them either. 

Musically Petty's band were good, but I never enjoyed the singing.

This is a bit of a barren period in the 1001 list, for me.

28/7/2018 11:32 am  #1264

PatReilly wrote:

Musically Petty's band were good, but I never enjoyed the singing.

This is a bit of a barren period in the 1001 list, for me.

To be honest I liked his vocals, but you're right there's been a lot of mediocrity of late, but I did Iike Patti Smith and that Modern Lovers is a crackin' album, I've got an empty hoose the day so apart from listening to the match, will try and catch up.

28/7/2018 11:46 am  #1265

DAY 353.
Boston............................................Boston   (1976)

After the celebration of the Bicentennial in the United States, engineer-turned-guitarist Donald "Tom" Scholtz and his bandmate's unleashed soft-rock's ultimate Christmas present in December 1976.

The definitive anthem "More Than A Feeling" alternatively lifting and loud, it sounds like a blueprint for "Smells Like Teen Spirit".......Nirvana even took to vamping it when they played "Teen Spirit" live. The song's enduring popularity helped make "Boston" a multi-platinum monster.

I had this album back in the day, and still love "More Than A Feeling"

28/7/2018 9:22 pm  #1266

DAY 350.
The Modern Lovers......................................The Modern Lovers   (1976)

Just finished playing this one for the fourth time in the last few days, what a fuckin' cracker I absolutely love this album, this one is well worth the entrance fee, and some!

Opening up with  the two chord wonder that is "Roadrunner," then taking you through a myriad of odd, sad, and invigorating tunes that although all different, still keep you hooked, this was quite a change from the usual fodder being served up at the time, and if you consider all these tracks were actually written in circa 1973, shows how novel The Modern Lovers were.

This album has been re-released several times over the years, with songs added , but the one I listened to was the original I hope, that had just 9 tracks. After the pulsating "Roadrunner" which it has been said  this song’s two-chord structure is directly ripped from the song Sister Ray (are you reading this shedboy? ). John Cale actually produced the first version of this song, and you can almost hear the organist quoting Cale’s licks from Sister Ray, then comes the bouncy "Astral Plain" shades of "The Doors" there for me, I just had a thought, I usually don't like the organ but have to say didn't mind it on this album were it played an integral part. "Old World" was one of the weaker tracks for me, then probably my favourite "She Cracked" just under 3 minutes of electrifying ear-worm bliss, an absolute "stormer" "Hospital" is a kinda chilling, haunting love song, that really doesn't have much of an up side, but was perfectly placed in the running order, just at the right time to calm it down, but  was achingly beautiful all the same. "Someone I Care About" seems to be Richman getting a bit picky;

'Cause I don't want just a girl to fool around with
I don't want just a girl to ball
What I want is a girl that I care about
Or I want nothing at all

The boy's obviously got a wumin hang up of some sort, but the the track was decent enough, carrying on his issues "Girlfriend" makes the mood quite solemn as he laments about being withoot a burd, but it's no' a chore to listen to, the album finishes with "Modern World" a good rocking track to make you want a bit more.

Anyways, I thought this was a belter, and have just ordered up an original on ebay, if anyone hasn't listened to this album, I would highly recommend you give it a listen, as said this album will be going into my vinyl collection.

Siouxsie and the Banshees covered this, but not a patch on the original in my humbles;

Bits & Bobs;
Jonathan Richman was born in Boston on 16 May 1951. Raised in Needham, Massachusetts, he dropped out of school, whiled away some time in Andy Warhol‘s formative Factory as a messenger, and then returned to his beloved Boston.

After seeing The Velvet Underground more times than any of its members, he decided that his future lay in rock ‘n’ roll, and he formed The Modern Lovers in September 1970.

In early 1971, the band’s membership was settled as Richman, Jerry Harrison (keyboards), Ernie Brooks (bass) and David Robinson (drums), with Richman’s next-door-neighbour and original band member John Felice joining them occasionally as his school commitments allowed.

By the autumn of 1971, through their live performances in Boston and New York, they had begun to attract the attention of several record company A&R men, including Stuart Love at Warner Brothers and Alan Mason and Matthew Kaufman at A&M.

The band made their first recordings for Warner Brothers at the Intermedia studios in Boston in late 1971.

In April 1972, The Modern Lovers travelled to Los Angeles where they held two demo sessions. The first was produced by TheVelvet Underground‘s John Cale for Warner Brothers, while the second was produced by Alan Mason and Robert Appere for A&M. Both sets of sessions yielded tracks which, although originally recorded as demos, eventually found their way onto the album.

The Cale sessions produced RoadrunnerAstral PlaneOld WorldPablo PicassoShe Cracked and Someone I Care About. The A&M sessions yielded Girl Friend and Dignified and Old.

The band were initially undecided over which record company to sign with, returned to Boston, and also did some recordings organised by Kim Fowley and produced by Stuart “Dinky” Dawson.

Eventually, in early 1973, they signed with Warner Brothers and agreed that John Cale should produce their debut album. Returning to California in the summer to work with Cale, it became apparent that there were personality clashes between some of the band members and that Richman now wanted to take a different approach to his songs – much more mellow and easy-paced rather than the earlier aggressive hard rock.

The sessions with Cale were terminated before any new recordings were completed. Warner Brothers then engaged Kim Fowley to work with the band, but by this time Richman refused to perform some of his most popular earlier songs live.

The sessions with Fowley were aborted, although two tracks, I’m Straight and the original recording of Government Center, were later issued on CD versions of The Modern Lovers. Warner Brothers withdrew support from the band, and early in 1974, the original Modern Lovers split up, with Jerry Harrison moving on to Talking Heads.

After the split in February 1974, Jonathan Richman continued recording on his own, eventually moving to California in 1975 to begin working with Beserkley Records. While Richman never returned to the Velvets-inspired sound of the original Modern Lovers, the demo recordings made with that group eventually surfaced in various formats.

The first of these releases came in 1976 when Beserkley Records compiled a posthumous LP from the first demo two sessions, issued on Beserkley’s Home Of The Hits subsidiary. The album was simply titled The Modern Lovers and included celebrated tracks such as RoadrunnerShe Cracked and Pablo Picasso.

Richman did not recognise this compilation as his “first album”, preferring to consider 1976’s Jonathan Richman & The Modern Lovers as his debut, as it pursued the lighter, softer direction he had in mind with a completely different band.

In early 1976, Richman put together a new version of The Modern Lovers, with Leroy Radcliffe (guitar), Greg “Curly” Keranen (bass) and Robinson (drums). They recorded the album Jonathan Richman & The Modern Lovers, but Robinson left after Richman persisted in reducing the size and volume of his drum kit and was replaced by D. Sharpe. Robinson ended up in The Cars. Keranen also left and was replaced by Asa Brebner.

This band recorded the album Rock ‘N’ Roll With The Modern Lovers and toured, but finally split up at the end of a UK tour in 1978.

Henceforth, Richman spent most of his time performing his idiosyncratic and honest compositions to a small, devoted following.

The hit 1998 film There's Something About Mary introduced the music of Jonathan Richman into the mainstream. Whenever one of the soundtrack’s more intimate songs struck up, the camera would pan away from the action to show Richman and his drummer, Tommy Larkins, nearby – sitting in a tree, manning a hot-dog stand – playing it.

Jonathan Richman's debut with the Modern Lovers still sounds every bit as ahead of its time as the last time it was reissued, and the time before that, and the time before that.

History's pegged Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers as proto-punk, but it's only been with the benefit of hindsight that his music has found a place at all. Like fellow ships at sea the Stooges, the New York Dolls, or the Velvet Underground, there was no precedent for what Richman was up to, nor was there much of a declared intent behind it. The Modern Lovers, like all of those other acts, were a rock band first and foremost. They played rock'n'roll. How others defined them was out of their hands.

Punk's rallying cry remains the "1-2-3-4!" count-off, but it's obvious that there's more to Richman when he gleefully keeps counting up to six on "Roadrunner". That track kicks off the Modern Lovers' self-titled debut, the impact of which has rippled through the work of fans as diverse as the Sex Pistols, Brian Eno, NPR fixture Sarah Vowell, sly subversives Art Brut, and lovesick crooner Jens Lekman. Back at the beginning, though, it was all about Richman, his insular world, and specifically his own obsession with the then-novel Velvet Underground, an appreciation he brought back home to Massachusetts after a trip to New York in the late 1960s.

You can hear the Velvets coursing though the Modern Lovers' debut-- impossibly out of print in the U.S. for nearly 20 years-- and not just because most of it was produced by John Cale (notorious impresario Kim Fowley gets credited with a couple of tracks, too). Richman had an innate knack for the Velvets' chugging drones, except rather than explore the dark stuff as Lou Reed did, Richman aims (mostly) for a certain innocence and naivete that's often at odds with the music itself. Indeed, Richman would switch gears before the album's belated release, and he all but disowned the harsher original sound of the Modern Lovers after shifting to softer, gentler sounds.

"Roadrunner"

Jonathan Richman wrote this 2 chord garage anthem in his father's car in 1972. During the summer of 1977 when Punk and New Wave music were finding a wider audience in Britain, this song became a hit.

Richman and his band The Modern Lovers recorded a collection of songs including this one in 1973. However problems with their label blocked the songs' release until 1976.

Among the Modern Lovers playing on this song were keyboard player Jerry Harrison who later joined Talking Heads and drummer David Robinson, who later joined The Cars. The producer was Velvet Underground member John Cale.

According to Rolling Stone Magazine's Top 500 Songs, Richman was obsessed with the Velvet Underground. When he started his own band, he rewrote the Velvets' "Sister Ray" into this song.

Last edited by arabchanter (28/7/2018 9:24 pm)

28/7/2018 10:53 pm  #1267

DAY 351.
David Bowie............................................Station to Station   (1976)

This is not one of my favourite Bowie albums, it's by no means the worst, and it does have one of his best songs from his post Aladin Sane days, the very catchy TVC 15 seemingly about Iggy Pop thinking his girlfriend's been swallowed up by a telly? TVC15 and Golden years were the only tracks that I really had any time for, the rest were pretty average in my humbles, apart from the title track, that was 10 minutes of torture, ken the boy was haeing issues but for fucks sake, what the fuck was that aboot.

Anyways, I'm repeating myself again, but much preferred his earlier stuff, this album wont be going into my collection.

Bits & Bobs;

Have written loads about Bowie previously (if interested)

Found this piece that might give you a wee insight into Bowie's state of mind in '76;

Corinne Schwab is probably the last holdover from David Bowie’s glitterglam phase — the days of Aladdin Sane, Moonage Daydream, gaudy costumes, hulking bodyguards, ex-manager Tony De Fries and the back-room-at-Max’s-Kansas-City mystique. In her three years as his secretary, Corinne has watched Bowie shrewdly work up to his most difficult move yet: the switch from cultish deco rocker to a wide-appeal film and recording star/entertainer. “I want to be a Frank Sinatra figure,” Bowie declares. “And I will succeed.”

Wheeling a cart in a Hollywood supermarket just three blocks from where David is working on his new LP, Station to Station, Corinne says she has no doubts about something so obvious as Bowie’s success in achieving his stated goal. The way she sees it, David has only one problem. “I’ve got to put more weight on that boy,” she sighs. And with that she carefully places eight quarts of extra-rich milk in the basket.

Down the street at Cherokee Studios, David Bowie is just back from three vice-free months in New Mexico where he starred in Nick Roeg’s film, The Man Who Fell to Earth. He is still glowing from the experience and, says Corinne, the healthiest he’s been in years. He is relaxed and almost humble as he scoots around the studio and directs his musicians (Carlos Alomar and Earl Slick, guitars; George Murray, bass and Dennis Davis, drums) through the songs. It is a complete evolution from the David Bowie of six months before. But then, of course, anything less than a total personality upheaval would be entirely out of character for him. “I love it,” he cracked several months earlier. “I’m really just my own little corporation of characters.”

He is actually anything one wants him to be at any given moment — a paranoid hustler, an arrogant opportunist, a versatile actor, a gentleman, maybe even a genius. He had, after all, made a warning up front. “Don’t expect to find the real me … the David Jones [his true name] underneath all this.”

May 1975 — It’s four in the morning, Hollywood time, and David Bowie is twitching with energy. He’s fidgeting, jabbing a cigarette in and out of his pursed lips, bouncing lightly on a stool behind the control board in a makeshift demo studio, staring through the glass at Iggy Pop.

Bowie has spent the last nine hours composing, producing and playing every instrument on the backing track, and it is finally time for Pop to do his bit. After all, this is Iggy’s demo.

Bowie touches a button and the room is filled with an ominous, dirgelike instrumental track. The shirtless Iggy listens intently for a moment, then approaches the mike. He has prepared no lyrics, and in the name of improv, he snarls:

You go out at night from your sixty dollar single down in West Hollywood
With your ripped off clothes that are bulging at the seams.
I can’t believe that you don’t know you look ugly.
I mean, are you really all that dumb?
I mean, I don’t want you to be that dumb, you know.
But you are.
You’re just dumb. Straight out of the cradle and into the hole with you.

He begins screaming.
When I walk through the do-wa.
I’m your new breed of who-wa.
We will nooowwwwwwwwww drink to meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Bowie clutches his heart and beams like a proud father watching his kid in the school play. His whisper is full of wonder. “They just don’t appreciate Iggy.” he is saying. “He’s Lenny fucking Bruce and James Dean. When that adlib flow starts, there’s nobody like him. It’s verbal jazz, man!”

Pop himself is spent from his eruption; he listens only once to the completed cut and groggily proclaims it “the best thing I’ve ever done.” A woman acquaintance materializes, as if on cue, to drag him out by a handful of his platinum-dyed hair.

“Go and do what you will,” Bowie calls after them. “Just don’t be too long. We have a lot more work to do tomorrow.”

“Don’t worry,” Pop mumbles. “She never lets me kiss her anyway. Ever … “

“Good, Good.” David adds an afterthought. “Iggy, please keep healthy.”

Pop is still mumbling as he walks out the door. “I don’t believe my patience,” he says to no one in particular. “I just don’t believe my patience. She won’t even let me give her one little smooch … ”

He leaves Bowie laughing, partly at the soporific antiwit, but mostly over a successful effort at producing the unproducible.

Less than a minute later, Iggy Pop is the farthest thing from his mind. Bowie’s blanched, bony face has already fallen into furrows. “I am very, very bored,” he says.

But he is still charged up. He jumps to his feet, skips to the next room and straps on an electric guitar. This is Bowie the rocker and the image is striking. He stands under the studio’s deep blue light, dressed like a scruffy street corner newsboy from the Thirties, bashing on a bright orange instrument that perfectly matches the hair peaking out from under his cap. Over the next couple of hours, Bowie moves at breakneck speed. Before long he has written and recorded a new song and entitled it “Movin’ On.” Only three months before, he and John Lennon had come up with the Number One single “Fame” in only 45 minutes. “Another song,” he groans. “That’s the last thing I need. I write an album a month as it is. I’ve already got two new albums in the can. Give me a break.” He is happy. It’s 7 a.m. and David Bowie is finally content as he locks up the studio.

Driving a borrowed VW bug through sluggish morning traffic toward the Hollywood Hills, his eyes never stop scanning the streets. He thrills over the massage parlors, billboards and stumbling itinerants. “L.A. is my favorite museum,” he says.

Bowie had fled New York by train (he does not fly) only five days earlier. After the numerous lawsuits, countersuits and injunctions over his split with manager Tony De Fries and the MainMan Companies, New York, he says, began to “close in on me.” Now he is staying at the home of Deep Purple bassist Glenn Hughes. While Purple is on tour, he’s been living there with Hughes’s housekeeper, Phil. When he lets himself into the house, David finds a stranger, Phil’s houseguest, drunk and half asleep on the sofa.

Bowie extends his hand tentatively. “Hello, I’m David. Who are you?”

The stranger is quickly aroused. Looking exactly as if he’d just awakened to find David Bowie standing in front of him, he pumps the hand wildly. “I’m Jack,” he says. “Hey man, fucking-A great to meet you. Phil told me you were staying here too. He’s asleep now … so how you fuckin’ doin’ anyway?”

After a quick breakfast spent dodging inquiries (“I hear you only play soul music now. That true?”), Bowie graciously explains that he’s late for an appointment. He leaves the house, hops into the car and shrieks: “Oh my God, what a cretin! He’s totally wrecked my nerves, that oaf! Christ!” He claims down and politely begins easing out of the planned interview — his first in more than three years. He begs exhaustion after two full days without sleep. “Why don’t I just drop you off at your hotel and we can get together next week?” He has already swung into the direction of the Beverly Wilshire. “You know, I may even check myself into the hotel for a day of sleep. No one will know where I am, no one will bother me … yes, that is exactly what I’ll do.” At the front desk, however, he hears that guitarist Ron Wood is staying in Room 207, and Bowie decides to pay his old friend a visit. He procures a fine champagne and raps on the door.

Wood has just fallen asleep, but is glad to see Bowie nonetheless. They exchange stories on what they’re up to in L.A., then settle down to listen to a cassette of the Jeff Beck Group live at Detroit’s Grande Ballroom. Sprawled across the hotel room bed, Bowie is by now well into his fifth or sixth wind. And the interview is on. “Well,” he asks, “what do you want to talk about?” One mentions the MainMan lawsuits.

Bowie’s speech assumes a quiet, studied tone. “The split had been building up for some time. For the last year and a half, I’ve had no empathy with them whatsoever. It took me that long to stop touring and come back to finding out where the office was really at. I guess it was a bit hard for them to come to terms with what I wanted to do. A lot of people who I never even met got involved. I grew to dislike their attitude. So I just said goodbye. No, of course, it isn’t that simple, but I’m going to make it that simple. It’s not going to bother me. I’ll survive. I’m far from broke. I’m free.” (Reached at the New York MainMan offices, De Fries refused to comment.)

I‘ve never been so happy,” Bowie says. “I’ve got that good old ‘I’m gonna change the world’ thine back again. I had that once. I was a strong idealist once, then when I saw all my efforts being mistranslated. I turned into an avid pessimist. A manic depressive. Now I feel strong mentally again. You could probably hear from Young Americans that I’m on an upper. It’s the first record I’ve actually liked since Hunky Dory.

“Basically I haven’t liked a lot of the music I’ve been doing the past few years. I forgot that I’m not a musician and never have been. I’ve always wanted to be a film director, so unconsciously the two mediums got amalgamated. I was trying to put cinematic concepts into an audio staging. It doesn’t work.”

At the time, Bowie had already signed the contracts for his film debut in The Man Who Fell to Earth. Not that director Nick Roeg (whose previous credits include Far from the Madding Crowd, Walkabout, Don’t Look Back and Performance) had an easy time procuring his star. David disliked the script sent him but was fascinated by the fact that Roeg had waited eight hours for him after he forgot an appointment. The two held an eight-hour conversation lasting into the next afternoon and Bowie was sold. “It didn’t take long for me to realize the man was a genius. He’s at a level of understanding of art that tremendously overshadows me. I was and still am in awe of Roeg. Total awe.” Still, parts of the script were rewritten.

Before he fell to earth, Bowie had been reported ready to star with Elizabeth Taylor in Bluebird. “I never said that,” David counters, “Elizabeth Taylor did. It was her idea for me to be doing the film. I read the script though and it was very dry. I mean she was a nice woman and all, even if I didn’t get much of a chance to get to know her. She did tell me I reminded her of James Dean — that endeared me to her — but her script was so … boring. My own films are more important anyway.”

Bowie has been voraciously writing screenplays and scenarios ever since his three-month Diamond Dogs tour of two years ago. His first completed script is Dogs, a film which could star Terence Stamp and Iggy Pop if Bowie can work it out. David is especially amused by his casting. “Terence is going to be Iggy’s father,” he titters. “Isn’t that lovely? I can’t wait to direct it.

“I think, you see, that the most talented actors around are all in rock & roll. Iggy never should have been a rock & roll singer, he’s an actor. Dave Johansen [the former New York Doll] is an actor. A renaissance in filmmaking is going to come from rock. Not because of it, but despite it. I’ll tell you, I’ve got nothing to do with music. I’ve always interpreted or played roles with my songs.”

Ron Wood, who’s been quietly listening all along, comes alive. “Why did you get into rock & roll, then?” he asks.“Rock & roll is a very accessible medium for any young artist. Don’t you think so? I like music but it’s not my life by any stretch of the imagination. I mean I was a painter before, but as a painter I couldn’t make enough money to live on. So I went into advertising and that was awful. That was the worst. I got out of that and tried rock & roll because it seemed like an enjoyable way of making my money and taking four or five years out to decide what I really wanted to do. I have no ideals on being a starving artist at all.”

“Same as me,” Wood chortles. “Otherwise we’d both still be in art school, eh?”“Absolutely.” Assured that Wood is an interested listener, Bowie settles into a monologue:“It’s interesting how this all started. At the time I did Aladdin Sane, all I had was a small cult audience in England from Hunky Dory. I think it was out of curiosity that I began wondering what it would be like to be a rock & roll star. So basically, I wrote a script and played it out as Ziggy Stardust onstage and on record. I mean it when I say I didn’t like all those albums — Aladdin Sane, Pin Ups, Diamond Dogs, David Live. It wasn’t a matter of liking them, it was ‘Did they work or not?’ Yes, they worked. They kept the trip going. Now. I’m all through with rock & roll. Finished. I’ve rocked my roll. It was great fun while it lasted but I won’t do it again.”

One can assume then, that Bowie is asking for a separation from the “Glitter Rock King” tag?

David is offended by the notion. “Not at all. I’m very proud of that tag. That’s what the public’s made me and that’s what I am. Who am I to question that? I am the King of Glitter Rock, aren’t I, Ron?”

“The reigning king.” Wood goes to his writing desk and scribbles. “I don’t like giving people tags,” he cackles, “but here. For the king.” He hands Bowie a $15 price tag, on the back of which he’s written “King of Glitter Rock.”

“Fifteen dollars!” Bowie deadpans. “Well, I guess glitter rock was always cheap anyway.” A full minute is spent in laughter, then Bowie abruptly turns skittish and paranoid. “I keep drifting off.” He admits to being tired. “My thought forms are already fragmented, to say the least. I’ve had to do ctitups on my writing for some time so that I might be able to put it all back into some coherent form again. My actual writing doesn’t make a tremendous amount of sense … frankly, I’m surprised Young Americans has done so well. I really, honestly and truly, don’t know how much longer my albums will sell. I think they’re going to get more diversified, more extreme and radical right along with my writing. And I really don’t give a shit … ” Finally Bowie bows:

“Could I have a little break? I can’t go on like this. Just sitting here, talking … it wears me out.”

June 1975 — A straw hat cocked lazily over one eye, David is sitting cross-legged against the wall in a small, candle-lit, book-lined room. The framed cover photo from Aladdin Sane hangs above his head in direct juxtaposition. It is one of his favorite ploys — striking not only poses but whole portraits.

It’s been three weeks since the last meeting, and he’s moved from Hughes’s house into the more centrally located Hollywood home of lawyer and former booking agent Michael Lippman. Bowie and Iggy never did make it back into the studio. Pop slept past the booked time, called up drunk several nights later and when Bowie told him to “go away” — meaning “hang up” — Iggy did just that. Now he’s disappeared. “I hope he’s not dead,” says Bowie, “he’s not a good act.”

Bowie announces that he’s got a new project, his autobiography. “I’ve still not read an autobiography by a rock person that had the same degree of presumptuousness and arrogance that a rock & roll record used to have. So I’ve decided to write my autobiography as a way of life. It may be a series of books. I’m so incredibly methodical that I would be able to categorize each section and make it a bleedin’ encyclopedia. You know what I mean? David Bowie as the microcosm of all matter.”

If the first chapter is any indication, The Return of the Thin White Duke is more telling of Bowie’s “fragmented mind” than of his life story. It is a series of sketchy self-portraits and isolated incidents apparently strung together in random, probably cutout order. Despite David’s enthusiasm, one suspects it may never outlast his abbreviated attention span. But it’s a good idea. At 29, Bowie’s life is already perfect fodder for an autobiography.

The son of a children’s-home publicist, David Jones grew up prowling the tough neighborhoods in the south of London. One fistfight paralyzed his left pupil. Today, caught at a certain angle, it looks like a clear marble. Eye operations kept him prostrate for the better part of his 16th year. During the same bedridden time, his brother Terry, six years David’s senior, was committed to a mental institution. It was then, he remembers, that he began to draw up the blueprint for David Bowie.

“Who knows? Maybe I’m insane too, it runs in my family, but I always had a repulsive sort of need to be something more than human. I felt very very puny as a human. I thought. ‘Fuck that. I want to be a Superman.’ I guess I realized very early that man isn’t a very clever mechanism. I wanted to make myself better. I always thought that I should change all the time … I know for a fact that my personality now is totally different to what it was then. I took a look at my thoughts, my appearance, my expressions, my mannerisms and idiosyncrasies and didn’t like them. So I stripped myself down, chucked things out and replaced them with a completely new personality. When I heard someone say something intelligent. I used it later as if it were my own. When I saw a quality in someone that I liked. I took it. I still do that. All the time. It’s just like a car, man, replacing parts.”
 Bowie learned to apply this theory to his music. “If I’d been an original thinker. I’d never have been in rock & roll. There’s no new was of saying anything.”

He recalls himself as a “trendy mod” through his late teens. “I was never a flower child. Look what’s happened to them with all their love and peace. They’ve grown up into the SLA kidnapping Patty Hearst and the like. I’d been into meditation years before it became fashionable through Kerouac and Ferlinghetti. I was always a sort of throwback to the Beat period in my early thinking. And when the hippies came along with all their funny tie-dyes and things, it all seemed naive and wrong. It didn’t have a backbone. I hate weak things. I can’t stand weakness. I wanted to hit everybody that came along wearing love beads.

“I never got into acid either. I did it three or four times and it was colorful, but my own imagination was already richer. I never got into grass at all. Hash for a time, but never grass. I guess drugs have been a part of my life for the past ten years, but never anything very heavy … I’ve had short flirtations with smack and things, but it was only for the mystery and the enigma. I like fast drugs. I hate anything that slows me down.”

A high school dropout, David had already changed his name and gone through a number of pop groups when he met his wife Angela. She was the girlfriend of a Mercury Records talent scout who refused to sign David. Later, she pulled strings and he got a contract with the label. Within months he had a hit with his first single, “Space Oddity.”“I married her,” David explains, “because she was one of the few women [his emphasis] that I was capable of living with for more than a week. We never suffocated each other at all. We always bounced around. No. I don’t think we fell in love. I’ve never been in love, thank God. Love is a disease that breeds jealousy, anxiety and brute anger. Everything but love. It’s a bit like Christianity. That never happened to me and Angie. She’s a remarkably pleasant girl to keep coming back to and, for me, always will be. I mean, there’s nobody … I’m very demanding sometimes. Not physically, but mentally. I’m very intense about anything I do. I scare away most people that I’ve lived with.”

In 1971, the Bowies had a son, named Zowie. Having a child, Bowie says, “pleased my ego a lot. I think Zowie’s a survivor. He’s very definitely an independent person, of his own choosing, it seems. And I find it quite easy to think of him not as mine or as Angie’s, but as Gibran has said, ‘a little plant.’ I don’t feel very paternal about him.”

Bowie adamantly states that he is still and always will be bisexual. And he will not deny that he has fully exploited the media potential of that. “I remember the first time it got out. Somebody asked me in an interview if I ever had a gay experience and I said, ‘Yes, of course, I am a bisexual.’ The guy didn’t know what I meant. He gave me this horrified look of ‘Oh my God, that means he’s got a cock and a cunt.’ I had no idea my sexuality would get so widely publicized. It was just a very sort of off-the-cuff little remark. Best thing I ever said, I suppose.”

He returns to the subject of his autobiography: “It’s not that I have anything to say, it’s a matter of laying antistyle on people and making them upset. ‘Who the hell is Bowie to think he deserves an encyclopedia?’ But it’s not what you actually put on the canvas, it’s the reason why you did it. Like the Andy Warhol thing. It wasn’t why he painted a Campbell’s soup can. It was ‘What sort of man paints a Campbell’s soup can?’ That’s what aggravates people. That’s the premise behind antistyle. And antistyle is the premise behind me.

“I already consider myself responsible for a whole new school of pretension. Really. I’m quite serious about that. The only thing that seems to shock anybody anymore is something that’s pretentious or kitsch. Unless you take things to extremes nobody will believe or pay attention to you. You have to hit them on the head and pretension does the trick. It shocks as much as a Dylanesque thing did ten years ago.”

Suddenly — always suddenly — David is on his feet and rushing to a nearby picture window. He thinks he’s seen a body fall from the sky. “I’ve got to do this,” he says, pulling a shade down on the window. A ballpoint-penned star has been crudely drawn on the inside. Below it is the word “Aum.” Bowie lights a black candle on his dresser and immediately blows it out to leave a thin trail of smoke floating upward. “Don’t let me scare the pants off you. It’s only protective. I’ve been getting a little trouble from … the neighbors.”

Something has triggered the emergence of another David Bowie — the apocalyptic theorizer in albums ranging from Ziggy to Diamond Dogs. “I think we are due for a revival of God awareness. Not a wishy-washy kind of fey, flower-child thing, but a very medieval, firm-handed masculine God awareness where we will go out and make the world right again. I’m feeling more and more that way.

Rock & roll has been really bringing me down lately. It’s in great danger of becoming an immobile, sterile fascist that constantly spews its propaganda on every arm of the media. It rules and dictates a level of thought and clarity of intelligence that you’ll never raise above. You don’t have a fucking chance to hear Beethoven on any radio station anymore. You’ve got to listen to the O’Jays. I mean, disco music is great. I used disco to get my first Number One single [“Fame”] but it’s an escapist’s way out. It’s musical soma. Rock & roll too — it will occupy and destroy you that way. It lets in lower elements and shadows that I don’t think are necessary. Rock has always been the devil’s music. You can’t convince me that it isn’t.”

How about specifics? Is Mick Jagger evil?

“Mick himself? Oh Lord no. He’s not unlike Elton John, who represents the token queen — like Liberace used to. No, I don’t think Mick is evil at all. He represents the sort of harmless, bourgeois kind of evil that one can accept with

“I’ve got this thing that rock shouldn’t be overstated. I did my bit of Ziggy, I made my explosion and that’s it. When the artist and song is novel and new and enigmatic, then that’s good. That’s when it’s strong, But when it has a familiarity and understanding, it’s no longer rock & roll.

“I wasn’t at all surprised Aladdin Sane made my career. I packaged a totally credible plastic rock star — much better than any sort of Monkees fabrication. My plastic rocker was much more plastic than anybody’s.

“I fell for Ziggy too. It was quite easy to become obsessed night and day with the character. I became Ziggy Stardust. David Bowie went totally out the window. Everybody was convincing me that I was a Messiah, especially on that first American tour. I got hopelessly lost in the fantasy. I could have been Hitler in England. Wouldn’t have been hard. Concerts alone got so enormously frightening that even the papers were saying, ‘This ain’t rock music, this is bloody Hitler! Something must be done!’ And they were right. It was awesome. Actually, I wonder … I think I might have been a bloody good Hitler. I’d be an excellent dictator. Very eccentric and quite mad.

“I was thinking a few days ago that when I got bored with films and had far too many showings in art galleries of my paintings and sculptures, maybe I should be prime minister of England. I wouldn’t mind being the first English president of the United States either. I’m certainly right wing enough. Do you think Jerry would swap positions with me? I think that would be lovely, don’t you?”

Chain-smoking Rothman after Rothman, Bowie is now just spilling words and concepts out without regard for their ramifications. His sole target now is impact. Shock. Effect.

“Listen, I mean it. I’ll bloody lead this country, make it a great fucking nation. I can’t exist happily and make records and be safe because, man, it’s depressing … Everyone whimpering about the state of things. So what do I do? Just sit by and wait for someone else to sort it all out? No way. The masses are silly. Just look at the cultural leaders of today. Once they were Humphrey Bogart, James Dean and Elvis Presley. Now it’s Robert Redford and John Denver … and these are supposed to be the degenerate Seventies. It doesn’t look good for America. They let people like me trample all over their country.

“I have this dream. I’d like to host a satellite television show and invite all the biggest bands onto one stage. Then I’d come out with a great big wheelbarrow of machine guns and ask them, ‘Now how many of you are gonna do anything? How many are going to pick up a gun and how many of you are gonna cling to your guitars?'”

Before he can pick up the thread again one feels the need to question Bowie on the seriousness of his tirades. He answers with an impatient huff that seems to ask, how much longer will it take you silly mortals to understand? “I have to carry through with my conviction that the artist is also the medium. The only way that I can be this abrasive as a person is to be this confoundedly arrogant and forthright with my point of view. I can only do that by believing in my point of view with sincerity. And I do. I honestly believe everything that I’ve said. I believe that rock & roll is dangerous. It could well bring about a very evil feeling in the West. I do want to rule the world. There’s always a pendulum swing, right? Well, we’ve had the high with rock. It’s got to go the other way now. And that’s where I see it heading, bringing about the dark era. That we weenie boys with our makeup and funny clothes and whatnot, I feel that we’re only heralding something even darker than ourselves. ‘Cause we were never dark ourselves. We just bounded around the periphery. Lou [Reed] is not evil. Iggy isn’t evil. There’s something else. And it’s evil because it supplements people’s sensitivity. Just look at Led Zeppelin. Our natural inclination to be adventurous with our brains is being repressed. I don’t like or approve of loud rock & roll.”

That’s why he broke up his backing group, the Spiders from Mars. “I gave them more life than I intended. And I was also getting honestly bored. There’s only so much you can do with that kind of a band. I wanted no more to do with that loud thing. Hurt my ears. Wasn’t pleasing my mind too much either. Since then, poor Mick [Ronson] has completely missed his vocation. From his faulty solo career right on down. I’ve been disappointed. He could have been amazing. I just don’t know. Christ, I haven’t spoken properly with him in years. I wonder if he’s changed.”

One reminds Bowie of a remark Ronson made to Melody Maker that “David needs someone around him to say ‘Fuck off, you’re stupid.’ He needs one person who won’t bow to him … “

Bowie grins. “I’ve got God. Who’s Mick got?” He turns stern. “I promised myself I wouldn’t talk about rock & roll. Now look what I’ve done. Let’s talk about something else.” He picks his appearance on the Grammy awards as the next topic. “Did you see it? It’s on videotape in the next room if you didn’t. You really should see it. It’s only a minute. You see, the Grammies were very significant for me. It was like walking a tightrope. There were mostly aging middle-class show business people in that audience. It was a question of entertaining them or coming off like just another rock singer. I really did feel I was David Bowie and not a rock singer. It was very strange. Strange, strange, strange.

“There are very few who have broken out of rock and into any other medium, much less films. I’m determined to do it. The media should be used. You can’t let it use you, which is what is happening to the majority of rock stars around. And as for touring, I honestly believe that it kills my art. I will never ever tour again.”

Several months later, Bowie apparently changed his mind and announced that on February 2nd he would kick off a 34-date North American tour. “The tour,” Bowie explained, “will make an obscenely large amount of money which I desperately need to set up my media-production company, Bewlay Bros.”

The tour is a turnabout for Bowie; the production company is consistent with his previously stated goal of breaking the “dreaded circle” of being a star enmeshed in the music business. “I’m optimistic enough to think that of any rock singer, I’ve got a better chance of escaping. One person who I admire, quite honestly, is Frank Sinatra. He’s broken out. He hates the fucking music business game and so do I. I refuse to play it. I’ve never made an album capitalizing on the success of the previous one.

“I want to be an impact on myself. I’d much rather take chances than stay safe. Like in the movie I’m doing. Everything’s against me. I’m going into a dead straight, nonmusical role. No singing. And I will be bloody good. I have to be. ‘Cause if I ain’t, that’s it. Another rock singer … is still a rock singer. If that’s the case, I want to go out like Vince Taylor.”

Vince Taylor?

“Yeah. He was the inspiration for Ziggy. Vince Taylor was an American rock & roll star from the Sixties who was slowly going crazy. Finally, he fired his band and went onstage one night in a white sheet. He told the audience to rejoice, that he was Jesus. They put him away.” David Bowie straightens up, removes the straw hat and rakes several fingers through his orange hair.

“Think you can use any of that?”

"TVC 15"

Bowie wrote this after hearing about Iggy Pop's drug-induced hallucination, where he thought a girlfriend was being consumed by her television set. Details of the story are sketchy, as Bowie remembers little about the drug-fueled recording of his Station To Station album. The song proved a modest hit on both sides of the Atlantic, reaching #33 in the UK and #64 in the US.

Bowie performed an upbeat version of this at the Live Aid concert in London in 1985.

American keyboardist Roy Bittan, who is best known as a member of Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band, tinkled the ivories. Bowie asked him to sound like New Orleans blues singer and pianist Professor Longhair.

Bittan recalled to Uncut in 2016: "When I recorded with him on Station to Station, the first thing he wanted me to play was 'TVC 15.' He said to me, 'Hey can you do like a Professor Longhair thing on this song?' I was like, 'Professor Longhair? This Brit is asking me about Professor Longhair?' I was really taken aback.

The funny thing was that literally three weeks before that session, we had been in Houston and (E Street bassist) Garry Talent and I had seen in the paper that Professor Longhair was playing in some roadhouse outside of town. So we went to this place and Longhair was sitting at an upright piano and playing in this little club – it was fantastic. So when David asked me to do that, it was a very fortuitous moment and very surprising."

"Golden Years"

Bowie's ex-wife Angela claims this was written for her. Bowie does appear to be addressing someone specific in this song, encouraging them to revel in their "golden years": "Don't let me hear you say life's taking you nowhere, angel, come get up my baby, look at that sky, life's begun, nights are warm and the days are young."

Bowie wrote this with the intention of giving it to Elvis Presley, but he reportedly refused the song. Elvis died two years later. (I couldn't imagine Elvis singing this)

Bowie performed this when he appeared on the TV show, Soul Train, in 1975. He was one of the first white singers to appear on the show. Bowie reportedly got drunk beforehand to try and calm his nerves and the footage does appear to show him stumbling over his lyrics.

Producer, Harry Maslin, said he achieved the "round" quality of the backing voices by using an old RCA microphone.

29/7/2018 11:46 am  #1268

DAY 354.
Eagles........................................................Hotel California   (1976)

Released in December 1976, Hotel California depicts the emotional burnout out the West Coast scene after peace and love turned into hardened hedonism. The soundtrack of decadent times, it went on to sell more than 16 million copies.

It is a mature work from a band whose reflections on the cost of excess had been formed the hard way.....by five years of hit records and touring. As founder member Glenn Frey said, the album "explores the underbelly of success, the darker side of paradise"

But like many musical styles in there last bloom, West Coast country-rock reached a refinement in Hotel California never equaled again.

29/7/2018 6:17 pm  #1269

and

Looking up a bit. Although not in any favourite albums list for me, there are quite a few song I enjoy on these two. Most of the Station to Station album tracks were released as singles, quite unusual.

Favourites from the two are Roadrunner, Golden Years and especially TVC15.

So I was feeling a wee bit optimistic, and then the Eagles came along.

29/7/2018 8:21 pm  #1270

PatReilly wrote:

Favourites from the two are Roadrunner, Golden Years and especially TVC15.

So I was feeling a wee bit optimistic, and then the Eagles came along.

Welcome to my world, turned the page and deflation wasn't the word

funny to see we seemed to especially like the same tracks, got to be a one of

29/7/2018 8:33 pm  #1271

DAY 352.
Joni Mitchell.............................................Hejira   (1976)

One welcoming point about this album was she wasn't quite so screechy, this was alright if you read the lyrics as you go on, but have to repeat what I said about her last album

" Joni Mitchell without a shadow of a doubt is a polished and accomplished wordsmith, and  a lot of her subject matter tends to be in the "bring me down zone," lyrically she does rank up there with all her contemporaries."

"For me the problem I have is musically it doesn't nearly match the beauty of her writing, it seems like it's almost an afterthought a lot of the time (maybe I'd prefer her as a poet?").

So this is my feelings towards Joni Mitchell, and as a consequence not enough to let this album find it's way into my collection.

Bits & Bobs;

Written loads about this artist previously (if interested)

Here's a Rolling Stone review about the album;

It is the tug of war between the symbolist and the siren that makes Joni Mitchell’s albums alternately alluring and forbidding. On the one hand she is the most ruthlessly analytical member of the music-as-therapy songwriting school, and often her songs seem intent only on making private sense of her own experience. On the other hand, as a public performer, Mitchell wants to be heard and even enjoyed. To that end she conducts a cool flirtation with her audience. Like a Victorian gentlewoman, she seems afraid that we won’t respect her if she makes obvious advances. Thus, though Court and Spark showed Mitchell blossoming into accessibility, last year’s The Hissing of Summer Lawns brought back the arcane priestess of For the Roses. But now, with Hejira, Mitchell has gravely come a-courting once again.

It is true that she has all but abandoned melodies anyone can whistle, and her brief fling with the standard bridge seems to be over. But if she has denied her listeners memorable tunes and conventional formats, Mitchell displays other musical charms: new, seductive rhythms (not funk, but nearly as entrancing) and lush guitars. While Hejira (the title itself refers to Mohammed’s “flight from danger”) represents a retreat from the inviting accessibility of Court and Spark, it is a retreat with a self-renewing purpose. Mitchell has withdrawn to her roots, to redefine them.

Nearly all the new songs are built from the bare bones of her early work: modal guitar patterns and near-English-ballad structure. There are none of the frank flirtations with rock-pop Mitchell has used as lures in the past. Hejira contains no “Raised on Robbery,” no “Big Yellow Taxi.” The one concession to popular tastes is the dreamy, blowsy “Blue Motel Room,” which is too much tongue-in-cheek to sustain the torch-song illusion for long. For the rest, verse after long meditative verse is resolved in a single-line refrain which gains in meaning with repetition. The refrains (“Amelia, it was just a false alarm,” “Black crow flying in a blue sky,” etc.) are the only devices approaching a hook: recurring, memorable tags that sum up the song.

By writing for instruments that she plays well (guitars) and within a genre she understands (folk), Mitchell avoids the self-conscious artiness that marred The Hissing of Summer Lawns. Despite its apparent simplicity and spare instrumentation, the sound is as sophisticated and arresting as anything she’s done. Mitchell has taken advantage of the music’s structural freedom to write some of her most incisive and humorous lyrics. Her singing, too, has developed new warmth; it is breathier than ever. Where she once sounded simply ethereal, she now introduces a sexual roughness which she uses with precision. In fact, her voice is often flexible enough to create the continuity and the climaxes that her melodies lack. But the album is truly held together by the motion of the music, which is as unceasing and hypnotic as the freeways Mitchell describes in her songs.

For Hejira, as any glance at the cover or the lyrics will prove, is about the Highway: as a symbol of distance or flight; as a stage for encounters or revelations; as a communal umbilical cord relating separate souls and random experiences. The road runs through every song. The old pastoral conventions have been revived in Mitchell’s freeways. Like Shakespeare’s Forest of Arden or Mark Twain’s Mississippi, the highway is a place where the obligations of power and wealth, or merely the confines of civilization, can be momentarily forgotten.

The road is further represented as Mitchell’s only source of anonymity and acceptance. There she can masquerade as one in a gang of vagabonds (“The Refuge of the Roads”), drink and dance with the locals (“Coyote”) or find unencumbered solitude (“Hejira,” “Amelia”). The desire to escape, to start over, to make things simple again is universal, but in addition the artist often pays for success with a frightening isolation, a woman artist perhaps even more so.

A current of success-induced guilt ran through such earlier Mitchell songs as “For Free” and “People’s Parties.” Now she openly acknowledges the rewards of achievement along with the penalties, accepting the conflict as inevitable. Her new songs take a long, sometimes painful look at a problem of particular concern to ambitious women: how to reconcile the demands of one’s chosen work with the demands of love and family. The business of music with its irregular hours and frequent travel plays hell with steady love affairs, yet Mitchell can examine these problems with tolerance (“Coyote”) and humor (“Blue Motel Room”).

The really difficult conflict is between the long-taught myth that a woman should make a total commitment to love and the hard-won discovery that a career may require the same all-consuming passion. When Mitchell sings, “In our possessive coupling/ So much could not be expressed/ So now I am returning to myself/ These things that you and I suppressed,” she is deciding in favor of the artist’s need for unfettered experience and unhampered self-expression. But in “Song for Sharon,” Mitchell admits to the devastating attraction of bridal lace and all of the truelove fantasies that it represents. The only hint of rapprochement between love and music comes at the end of this song, and it is significant that the lines can be read in two ways—as a choice in favor of uncoupled independence or as a vision of a future, perfect love:

But you still have your music
And I’ve still got my eyes on the land and the sky
You sing for your friends and your family
I’ll walk green pastures by and by

It is to Joni Mitchell’s credit that she comes to no glib conclusions. The conflict between freedom for art’s sake and the need for love forms the basis of most of her songs, and it is her uncertainty, the alternating warmth and chill, which is most fascinating. But if Mitchell is not always inviting, she is never complacent. With Hejira she redefines the elements of her music with as much courage as when she scrutinizes her aims and motivations. And despite the songs of love lost and plans changed, despite the urgent, often stark consciousness of mortality and the absence of comfortable solutions, Hejira is a curiously optimistic album. In “Black Crow,” Mitchell sings, “In search of love and music/ My whole life has been/ Illumination/ Corruption/ And diving, diving, diving, diving…,” her voice swooping and spiraling on the repeated word. That is what Hejira is about: it is not the answers that are most important but the search itself.

29/7/2018 11:54 pm  #1272

DAY 353.
Boston............................................Boston   (1976)

I looked out this morning and the sun was gone
Turned on some music to start my day
I lost myself in a familiar song
I closed my eyes and I slipped away

If you have been reading my ramblings, you'll probably have realised I love music, all types of genres, and some that have surprised me along the way, but see them four lines? they sum it all up better than I can ever possibly try to, see if it wasn't for music I think I'd definitely be a more angrier, down in the dumps arsehole than I am presently. (oh, and I bet you sung them four lines when you were reading them, or maybe it's just me)

The amount of times music has lifted my feelings, not just by the music itself but sometimes the memory and the vivid pictures that songs/pieces of music evoke is nothing short of magical in my humbles, there's nothing better for taking the edge off, or even psyching yourself up, I know personally I like to start the day with music, whether it's on the radio, record player, CD, phone, I-pod, I do need that bit of music to get me going, anyways enough of my slavering and on with the album.

I bought this album in '76 and played it constantly, this wasn't one of those album's where you kept flicking up the arm to various favourites, no, this album went on and didn't finish till the arm done the old up and over of it's own volition, "Boston" for this listener at least, flowed from start to finish, I've heard people say it was over produced, but for me it was produced to perfection, which for me made the guitar solos more rounded, and what's with the organ? I think i'm going to have to rethink my dislike of said instrument! (although "Foreplay/Long Time" could have done wi' a bit less organy stuff on it)

This album took me back to good times, and as I have said before, I had this back in the day but don't have it now, but this will be rectified as a matter of course over the next few days, and finally what about "More Than A Feeling" what a fuckin' tune !!!!

Bits & Bobs;

Their debut album sold over 15 million copies, the top-selling debut until Hootie and the Blowfish's Cracked Rear View in 1995.

Scholz formed the band. He is from Toledo, Ohio and is an Ottawa Hills High School graduate of the class of 1965. He won a full scholarship to MIT, where he obtained Bachelors and Masters degrees in Mechanical Engineering, graduating with a GPA of 4.8 on a 5.0 scale. He later worked at Polaroid, where he became a senior product design engineer, helping develop their instant film system.

Delp sang all vocals (lead and harmony/backup) on the first three Boston albums. Before Brad joined the group, he was working in a manufacturing plant making heating coils for Mr. Coffee machines while singing in various Boston-area clubs at night. After former band-member Barry Goudreau brought Brad to the attention of Tom Scholz, Brad began singing on Tom's demo tapes.

Scholz produced the group. He is a perfectionist who took years to produce albums.

Boston's debut album was quite possibly the greatest by a band that at the time, didn't exist outside of the studio. The band was formed after the album tracks were finished. Tom Scholz produced the album himself, and he played every instrument for every song on it. The band was then formed so "Boston" could tour.

They went eight years between their second and third albums, Don't Look Back and Third Stage.

The band racked up huge catalog sales in the '80s and '90s through promotions where you would choose a bunch of albums to get for free, then pay for another every month. When choosing those freebies, many folks picked at least one Boston album.

They switched labels to MCA after a lawsuit with Epic was settled out of court. Epic sued Scholz for breach of contract when he would not put out more albums.

Goudreau, Sheehan, and Sib Hashian all sued Scholz, claiming they were under compensated for their contributions to Third Stage. As a result of this lawsuit, a sticker was affixed to Third Stage acknowledging Sib Hashian's contributions to the album.

Tom Scholz founded the company "Rocktron" and was the principle designer for many of the sound processing units they sold.

Delp sang in a Beatles cover band called BeatleJuice.

Scholz is a skilled 6'-5" tall basketball player, and still loves to play. Boston had to cancel a tour in 1996 after Scholz injured his hand playing basketball.

They were nominated for a Best New Artist Grammy in 1976. They lost to The Starland Vocal Band, who had one, and only one hit, "Afternoon Delight." (well that's a kick in the nuts)

Scholz injured his back during the recording of Third Stage and had record many of his parts while lying flat on a surfboard.

Their record company advertised their first album as "Better Music Through Science."

Though Scholz named the band Boston, he is the only member of the original lineup not from Boston.

Delp committed suicide in 2007. After Delp's death, Scholz told Yahoo News: "It went from a guitar lick that didn't mean a thing to a real song as soon as he opened his mouth. That was always the case. We had a very, very close working relationship. I swear it was like we were hooked up by a cable. We didn't even have to talk most of the time." The Boston Website called him the "Nicest guy in Rock and Roll."

The band toured in 2008, one year after the death of Brad Delp. Michael Sweet from Stryper was brought in along with Tommy DeCarlo, a Boston fan who was recruited after posting some of his covers of Boston songs on MySpace.

When people think of rock guitar players in classic rock bands, they typically think of guys who are loud, have long hair, are in it for the money, and are a bit odd in personality. Tom Scholz, the founder of the band Boston, may have had long hair, but he is far from the norm in the rock music scene. He was a graduate of Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), a pilot, an engineer, an inventor, a self-taught musician, and even a vegetarian

With Boston, Tom wore nearly every hat required to keep his band’s famous sound alive. He wrote, recorded, and engineered all of the band’s music, as well as playing nearly every instrument heard on the band’s recordings. In the studio, he worked with many values that became key components of his style of writing music. Among these values was the strict use of analog equipment to create and play music. In the mid to late ’70’s, synthesizers, computers, and digital effects were beginning to dominate the composition of music. With the classic age of rock and roll changing, and as disco music was coming to life, Tom did not partake in much of this new technology and style of music. Instead, he did what he could to create authentic, or rather, natural music that was not created or recorded using a computer or synthesizer. Some of his methods involved recording strictly on analog tape, and using various analog modules to control the overall sound. He would also use many layers of guitar recordings to get a rich sound. He felt that recording on tape was the best way to capture the natural sound of his music, as opposed to using computer-generated effects and sounds that much of the rock music scene was in the process of switching to. He would overdub guitar parts and harmonies in songs to create a large and rich sound, ultimately leading to the signature Boston sound heard on his recordings.

One of Tom’s most famous values as an artist is that of time. He is well known for taking years to write and perfect an album. After graduating with a master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering from MIT in 1970, Tom began to work for Polaroid, where he had relatively short work days. After work, he would spend long nights in his basement making music.Although he did this day after day, it took him years to create music that he felt was worthy of public release. He spent much of his earnings buying tape and sending demos to record companies.

Tom’s method of working on his music ultimately payed off for him. While working on demos in his studio, he held auditions for people to sing his songs. In the process of finding the right singer, he met a very talented singer named Bradley (Brad) Delp. To Tom’s surprise, Brad did not warm up before singing, but listened to a piece of a track and worked from there. Brad brought a lot of creativity and skill in singing and writing music, so Tom decided to bring him on board to sing all of the vocal parts to his songs.  Tom played every other instrument in his recordings, but then he had to complete the band to be able to perform the songs live in the future. After calling Barry Goudreau to assist Tom in lead guitar parts, Sib Hashian to cover the drum parts, and Fran Sheehan to play bass guitar, Boston came to life. Before the band became official, they played a few shows around Boston. Their first show was at a local high school where not a single person applauded after they played their music. It was not that impressive of an experience, but they did not give up. Many demos were recorded and sent out to record labels in hopes of being noticed. After getting many rejection letters, and being close to giving up, he sent out a demo of “More Than a Feeling,” and three major labels responded.

In 1976, Boston was signed with Epic Records to release their self-titled debut album, Boston; and it immediately became a huge hit,It sold so quickly that, at the time, it became the best-selling debut album of all time, and millions of people were becoming fans quickly. Since they were a huge hit and were ready to tour, Tom was not sure if Boston would be successful, so he only took a leave of absence from Polaroid rather than quit for good. The feedback and presence of fans surprised him as their first tour came to life. There was even an instance where so many people showed up that they broke down a chain-link fence. In addition to the chaos, the promoter was arrested. Because Boston had only released eight songs on their debut album, they had to play some of their unreleased songs live to fill out the concert playlist, but the shows were still short. The fans cheered for an encore, but they did not have any encore songs left to play, so they would play “More Than a Feeling” again. Once the band returned from their first tour, Tom began work on the second Boston album, Don’t Look Back, which came two years later in 1978. Since Boston was showing great signs of success, Tom decided to leave Polaroid and work on music full-time.

Tom has had many accounts of success, improvement, and recognition. In 1980, he founded Scholz Research and Development, a company that invented and developed equipment for Boston as well as for public sale. The company developed the Rockman, a line of guitar equipment that Boston has been using ever since.The purpose was to capture the unique sound of Boston without needing to buy stacks and stacks of amplifiers or effects.

Paula Scher really doesn’t like it, doesn’t want to acknowledge it and doesn’t want to hear it… but she created one of the most iconic album covers of all time.
 As the Art Director at CBS Records in 1976 the assignment to create a cover for a new band called Boston eventually fell to her. Lots of versions had been rejected by the band based on puns using lettuce or cream pie with the word Boston attached to the image.

Can you imagine Boston being represented by cream pie? Yeah, me neither.

Band founder, guitarist Tom Scholz wanted the cover to be tech-like, as he was an MIT grad and product engineer at Polaroid. It was Scholz who recorded most of the tracks in his basement creating the eclectic-full Boston sound–a sound I’ve really never heard another band duplicate. He’d suggested a cover with a guitar shaped spaceship. Not exactly something you can get your mind around. And Paula Scher in her own words “thought the idea was idiotic.” Since it didn’t make sense they tried to tie it to a story…the earth had blown up and space ships were escaping into orbit. There were supposed to be many guitar–city–spaceships leaving the planet labeled, London, Paris, Rome, and Boston was supposed to be the largest escaping front and center. OK the idea is far-fetched, but it’s rock n’ roll. Eventually they took out the other city names to avoid confusion and just kept one city, Boston.

The label, Epic had high hopes for the band, and the album exceeded expectations. It’s the second best-selling debut album of all time. 20 million copies sold. And the album cover, simply iconic. Paula Scher doesn’t care for their music and doesn’t want to be known as the woman that created the album cover. But Paula, c’mon, it’s a great little ditty on a resume.

That album cover went on to influence future techies and software for decades. Lots of 3-D color blends and stylistic elements in design came from that album cover. As Paula Scher mentioned in her book Make it Bigger “I’ve often thought that the entire point of computer programs like (Adobe) Illustrator and Photoshop, based on the way they are advertised, is to enable anyone to create their own Boston cover.” She has a point. Photoshop likes to show lots of smooth 3-D gradient blends that you can do yourself.

Paula Scheer acknowledges that being known for this assignment has opened doors “…so I mentioned I was art director of the first Boston album cover. I felt a hush of reverence permeate the room. I was given the assignment.”

"More Than A Feeling"

Group leader Tom Scholz wrote this song. A graduate of MIT, he was working at Polaroid up until this was released. "It was written about a fantasy event," he told Entertainment Weekly of the song. "But it's one that almost everybody can identify with, of somebody losing somebody that was important to them, and music taking them back there."

According to Rolling Stone magazine, Scholz was inspired by the "heart-tugging mood" of the Left Banke's 1967 song "Walk Away Renee." He worked on the song for five years in his basement studio before it was released on this album.

This was Boston's first single, and a surprising hit. The group's rise was sudden and unexpected; they recorded most of their first album in Tom Scholz's basement, which was stocked with equipment he bought with earnings from his job at Polaroid. When they finally got a record deal with CBS, they had to abide by union rules and complete it in a proper studio, which Scholz felt was a hindrance.

When "More Than a Feeling" was released, the group's managers spent a lot of time pitching it to radio stations, and the song took off. Suddenly, this unknown band with an album recorded mostly in a basement was a major player on the rock scene.

The album Boston is one of the best selling of all time. It sold very well in the '80s and '90s due to catalog sales, which were these offers record companies made to the public where you could get something like "25 CDs for a penny" as long as you chose from their selection and agreed to buy a certain number of albums in the future.

The single was edited down to 3:25 from the album version, which runs 4:44.

Nirvana sometimes played the beginning of this as an intro to "Smells Like Teen Spirit." When asked about Nirvana's confession of semi-nicking the song's chord progression, Scholz said "They didn't do a great job on the chorus. I heard the story about people thinking that part of that song sounds like it was a swipe from 'More Than a Feeling.' I don't hear it. If it were, I would consider it a compliment."

When Rolling Stone magazine released a special issue in 2004 devoted to the 500 Greatest Songs Of All Time, "More Than a Feeling" came in at #500. When the list was updated in 2010, the song got bumped.

The dream girl, Marianne, was based on a real person. "She was my older first cousin, who I had a crush on when I was 10," Scholz explained. "I ran into her many many years later and she was very annoyed at me for mentioning that she was my older cousin."

For many years Boston was the best selling debut album in the US with 17 million sales. However their record was broken on September 23, 2008 when the Recording Industry Association of America certified Guns N' Roses' debut set Appetite for Destruction for 18 million sales.

The song returned to the UK singles chart in 2010 as a result of its use in a TV commercial for Barclaycard. The ad was a follow-up campaign to the one that soundtracked the Bellamy Brothers track "Let Your Love Flow," which helped the song back to #21 in November 2008.

When Mike Huckabee ran for US president in 2008, he used this song at some of his campaign rallies. Huckabee plays the bass, and at some events, former Boston guitarist Barry Goudreau joined him on stage to perform this song. This didn't go over well with Tom Scholz, who wrote Huckabee a letter that was printed in Rolling Stone magazine. Scholz wrote: "While I'm flattered that you are fond of my song, I'm shocked that you would use it and the name Boston to promote yourself without my consent. Your campaign's use of 'More Than a Feeling,' coupled with the representation of one of your supporters as a member 'of Boston' clearly implies that the band Boston, and specifically one of its members, has endorsed your candidacy, neither of which is true. Your claim that this was 'the guy who originally did it' is a bit mystifying, since he never played on that recording, nor has he been 'of Boston' since he left my band over a quarter century ago, after performing with us for only three years."

Scholz went on to say that his band has never endorsed a political candidate, "and with all due respect, would not start by endorsing a candidate who is the polar opposite of most everything Boston stands for. In fact, although I'm impressed you learned my bass guitar part on 'More Than a Feeling,' I am an Obama supporter. While this may seem like a little thing to you, Boston has been my life's work." The response from Huckabee's campaign: "Governor Huckabee plays 'Sweet Home Alabama.' Does that mean Lynyrd Skynyrd is endorsing him? He plays 'Louie,Louie.' Does that mean The Kingsmen are endorsing him?"

30/7/2018 11:16 am  #1273

DAY 355.
Abba............................................Arrival   (1976)

By 1976, Abba had escaped from the deadly stigma that affects the musical credibility of all Eurovision Song Contest winners. Moreover, their string of hits had proved that they had the commercial wherewithal to continue and expand on their musical conquest of Europe and take on the U.S. market.

30/7/2018 4:27 pm  #1274

arabchanter wrote:

see if it wasn't for music I think I'd definitely be a more angrier, down in the dumps arsehole than I am presently. 

This strikes a chord with me. If there was a situation which I found frustrating, or which perhaps annoyed me to an extent (normally to do with work) I'd play music in my head, to the point where nowadays, when I hear someone talk, directly to me, or on the telly, a song lyric and often the music comes on in my brain. Or particular actions bring songs to me: sometimes I just sing them out loud. 

An example: if I'm walking down big stairs, Your Mother Should Know is playing, I might be singing it too, and I'm not even a Beatles fan. Blame the Magical Mystery Tour for that.

My mind often floats away from conversations, but it doesn't bother me, for I've heard most of the things I want to hear in the world for now.

There's a juke box in the centre of my brain.

30/7/2018 11:58 pm  #1275

DAY 354.
Eagles........................................................Hotel California   (1976)

By the time this came out I'd had just about as much Eagles as a boy can take, I bought the 1972 album "Eagles" on vinyl, but probably looking back,more for nostalgic reasons (singing their songs on the last bus and stuff) than any love for the band.

Even though they had numerous hit songs on the album, I found it quite boring and of it's time, and although I knew most of the songs they seemed very jaded and tired to my old ears, I don't think there was anything on this album that would have made me want to buy it in '76, and you can bet your sweet arse there's fuck all on there that would persuade me to buy it today, this album wont be going into my collection.

Bits & Bobs;

Have written about this band previously (if interested)

Glenn Frey, was justifiably proud of his band's achievements. Their meticulous harmonies and relaxed country-rock sound dominated airwaves and cassette decks in the 1970s, with global album sales in excess of 150 million.

Don Henley called Frey "the glue" of the band - a business-minded taskmaster who steered them towards commercial success.

"He's a big sports fan, so he applied coaching principles to running this band," said the singer. "He recognises people's strengths and gets them to do what they do best."

The band's manager, Irving Azoff, said: "Early on, he was running around with a T-shirt that said, 'Song Power'.

"[He] was saying the Eagles were a team and not everybody can be the running back or the quarterback. He was the quarterback."

Frey's lofty ambitions were fulfilled by Hotel California, The Eagles' fifth album. Released in 1976, it sold 16 million copies in the US and double that figure worldwide.

While they had been successful before - a greatest hits album collection released earlier the same year had become their first number one - Hotel California was "the zenith of The Eagles", said Frey in 1992, "in that what we had to say came together with our learning of how to make records".

It sealed the band's reputation. It also sealed their fate.

The title track remains their most famous recording, a long and intricate rock ballad whose duelling guitar coda has been named the best solo of all time.

It is ostensibly about a luxury hotel visit that crosses over to the dark side - but it is really an allegory about the hedonistic lifestyle the musicians enjoyed in the 1970s.

Or at least, that's the most popular interpretation. The song was also rumoured to be about heroin addiction, cannibalism or devil worship (the album cover allegedly shows Anton LaVey, leader of the Church of Satan).

"Everybody wants to know what that song was about, and we don't know," Frey said in a BBC interview eight years ago.

A decade earlier, he was more forthcoming, telling NBC's Bob Costas that he and Henley "wanted to write a song that was sort of like an episode of the Twilight Zone".

"All of our songs were cinematic, but we wanted to open up with [a montage]," he said.

"It was just one shot to the next - a picture of a guy on the highway, a picture of the hotel, the guy walks in, the door opens, strange people.

"We take this guy and make him like a character in The Magus, where every time he walks through a door, there's a new version of reality.

"We decided to create something strange, just to see if we could do it. And then a lot was read into it - a lot more than probably exists.

"I think we achieved perfect ambiguity."

While Henley and Frey wrote the lyrics, guitarist Don Felder composed the bulk of the music, initially recording the song's 12‑string riff in his four‑track home studio.

When he first played it to the band, they perceived it as "a bizarre mix of musical influences" and the song's working title became Mexican Reggae.

Recording began in Los Angeles, but the first version of the song was in the wrong key for Henley's raspy vocals.

"He sounded like Barry Gibb in this high voice," said Felder, who transposed the song from E minor to B minor "which is not a particularly guitar-friendly key, but it was perfect for his voice".

A second recording turned out to be too fast, so the band started again in Miami, fine-tuning the instrumentation and the lyrics in the process.

Producer Bill Szymczyk said, "When we recorded it the third time, that was the charm,"

The band recorded several takes, then spliced together the best bits to create the version we know today.

"At this stage in their career, The Eagles were pursuing perfection," said Szymczyk, "and in the process of editing I'd hear, 'Well, see if you can do that, Coach,' which was my nickname back then.

"This might refer to replacing one drum fill with another fill that was a little better, so there'd be an edit at the front and an edit at the end. That's the kind of perfection we were dealing with."

Once the basic track had been constructed, it took two days to record the closing guitar solos, with Felder and Joe Walsh trading riffs side-by-side in the control room.

Felder had initially assumed they would improvise this section - but Henley and Frey had other ideas.

"Joe and I started jamming, and Don said, 'No, no, stop. It's not right,'" Felder said", I said, 'What do you mean it's not right?' And he said, 'You've got to play it just like the demo.'

"Only problem was, I did that demo a year earlier; I couldn't even remember what was on it. So we had to call my housekeeper in Malibu, who took the cassette, put it in a [ghetto]blaster and played it with the phone held up to the blaster.

"We recorded it, and I had to sit in Miami and play exactly what was on the demo."

The perfectionism paid off. Hotel California is the band's most enduring song, still played more than 200 times a month on UK radio, and covered by artists as diverse as The Gipsy Kings, The Killers and Frank Ocean.

When a US spy plane made an emergency landing in China in 2001, the crew members were asked to recite the lyrics to prove their nationality. Apparently, their Chinese captors considered that "the song symbolised America".

Henley would have disagreed. "We were all middle-class kids from the Midwest," he told Rolling Stone. "Hotel California was our interpretation of the high life in Los Angeles." In 1995, he referred to the record as being about a "loss of innocence".

The album, which also contained the singles New Kid In Town and Life In The Fast Lane, "was the best work we did together," Frey said in 1992.

"We were bristling with confidence. We weren't afraid to step out and take chances. And we had a very, very prolific couple of guitar players," he said.

Critics may have accused the Eagles of being too slick and polished, but the band had the perfect riposte - 16 platinum discs.

"Critics lose their leverage all of a sudden when something gets mass acceptance," said Frey. "They're no longer arbiters of taste."

Still, the accusations stung. Reviewers who poured scorn on the band were added to a "punch on sight" list.

But success had a downside. The band found themselves creatively confounded, obsessing for three years over follow-up album The Long Run.

"It had stopped being fun," Frey said, "We no longer trusted each other's instincts, so there was considerable disagreement. Plus, both Henley and I had developed drug habits, which didn't help matters.

"Going to the studio was like going to school - I simply didn't want to go. But most importantly, during the making of The Long Run, Henley and I found out that lyrics are not a replenishable source.

"We, Don in particular, said a mouthful on Hotel California, and a big part of the problem was, 'What do we talk about now?'

"Towards the end, we just wanted to get the record finished and released. It is a very polished album, as well it should be after all that, and has some excellent moments, but none of us wanted to go through that again."

Things came to a head as the band wound up their 1980 tour with a benefit show in support of California senator Alan Cranston.

According to Frey's account, Mr Cranston came backstage before the concert to thank the band for their efforts, but Felder responded with a less-than-enthusiastic: "You're welcome, Senator… I guess."

It led to a huge backstage row, with beer bottles smashed against the wall. "I felt Don Felder insulted Senator Cranston under his breath, and I confronted him with it," said Frey.

"So now we're on stage, and Felder looks back at me and says, 'Only three more songs till I kick your ass, pal.'

"We're out there singing Best of My Love, but inside both of us are thinking, 'As soon as this is over, I'm going to kill him.'

"That was when I knew I had to get out."

"Hotel California"

Written by Don Felder, Glenn Frey and Don Henley, this song is about materialism and excess. California is used as the setting, but it could relate to anywhere in America. Don Henley in the London Daily Mail November 9, 2007 said: "Some of the wilder interpretations of that song have been amazing. It was really about the excesses of American culture and certain girls we knew. But it was also about the uneasy balance between art and commerce."

On November 25, 2007 Henley appeared on the TV news show 60 Minutes, where he was told, "everyone wants to know what this song means." Henley replied: "I know, it's so boring. It's a song about the dark underbelly of the American Dream, and about excess in America which was something we knew about."

He offered yet another interpretation in the 2013 History of the Eagles documentary: "It's a song about a journey from innocence to experience."

California is seen from the perspective of an outsider here. Bernie Leadon was the only band member at the time who was from the state (Timothy B. Schmit, who joined in 1977, was also from California). Joe Walsh came from New Jersey; Randy Meisner from Nebraska; Don Henley was from Texas; Glenn Frey was from Detroit, and Don Felder was from Florida. Don Felder explained: "As you're driving in Los Angeles at night, you can see the glow of the energy and the lights of Hollywood and Los Angeles for 100 miles out in the desert. And on the horizon, as you're driving in, all of these images start coming into your mind of the propaganda and advertisement you've experienced about California. In other words, the movie stars, the stars on Hollywood Boulevard, the beaches, bikinis, palm trees, all those images that you see and that people think of when they think of California start running through your mind. You're anticipating that. That's all you know of California."

Don Henley put it this way: "We were all middle-class kids from the Midwest. Hotel California was our interpretation of the high life in Los Angeles."

This won the 1977 Grammy for Record of the Year. The band did not show up to accept the award, as Don Henley did not believe in contests. Timothy B Schmit had just joined the band, and he says they watched the ceremony on TV while they were rehearsing.

Don Felder came up with the musical idea for this song. According to his book Heaven and Hell: My Life in The Eagles, he came up with the idea while playing on the beach. He had the chord progressions and basic guitar tracks, which he played for Don Henley and Glenn Frey, who helped finish the song, with Henley adding the lyrics.

Felder says they recorded the song about a year after he did the original demo, and in the session, he started to improvise the guitar part at the end. Henley stopped him and demanded that he do it exactly like the demo, so he had to call his maid and have her play the cassette demo over the phone so Felder could remember what he played.

The lyric, "Warm smell of colitas," is often interpreted as sexual slang or a reference to marijuana. When we asked Don Felder about the term, he said: "The colitas is a plant that grows in the desert that blooms at night, and it has this kind of pungent, almost funky smell. Don Henley came up with a lot of the lyrics for that song, and he came up with colitas."

The Eagles aimed for a full sensory experience in their songwriting. Felder adds, "When we try to write lyrics, we try to write lyrics that touch multiple senses, things you can see, smell, taste, hear. 'I heard the mission bell,' you know, or 'the warm smell of colitas,' talking about being able to relate something through your sense of smell. Just those sort of things. So that's kind of where 'colitas' came from."

This was recorded at three different sessions before the Eagles got the version they wanted. The biggest problem was finding the right key for Henley's vocal.

Glenn Frey compared this song to an episode of The Twilight Zone, where it jumps from one scene to the next and doesn't necessarily make sense. He said the success of the song comes from the audience creating stories in their minds based on the images.

The line, "They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast" is a reference to Steely Dan. The bands shared the same manager (Irving Azoff) and had a friendly rivalry. The year before, Steely Dan included the line "Turn up the Eagles, the neighbors are listening" on their song "Everything You Did."

Don Felder and Joe Walsh played together on the guitar solos, creating the textured sound.

The lyrics for the song came with the album. Some listeners thought the line "She's got the Mercedes Bends" was a misspelling of "Mercedes Benz," not realizing the line was a play on words.

Glenn Frey: "That record explores the underbelly of success, the darker side of Paradise. Which was sort of what we were experiencing in Los Angeles at that time. So that just sort of became a metaphor for the whole world and for everything you know. And we just decided to make it Hotel California. So with a microcosm of everything else going on around us."

When the Eagles got back together in 1994, they recorded a live, acoustic version of this song for an MTV special that was included on their album Hell Freezes Over. Don Felder came up with a new guitar intro for this version the day they recorded it, and while it was not released as a single, it got a lot of airplay, helped the album top the charts the first week it was released, and was nominated for a Grammy for Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal, a category introduced in 1980 when the Eagles won with "."
Heartache Tonight

Felder had some beef with how the credits were listed on this new version - the original single had the composers as "Don Felder, Don Henley and Glenn Frey," implying that Felder wrote most of the song and Frey the least. The new version was credited to "Don Henley, Glenn Frey and Don Felder." Felder claims that Henley and Frey added nothing original to the new version, and that this was simply a power play. Felder was fired from the band in 2001 after disputing payments and royalties.

All seven past and present members of the Eagles performed this in 1998 when they were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

The hotel on the album cover is the Beverly Hills Hotel, known as the Pink Palace. It is often frequented by Hollywood stars. The photo was taken by photographers David Alexander and John Kosh, who sat in a cherry-picker about 60 feet above Sunset Boulevard to get the shot of the hotel at sunset from above the trees. The rush-hour traffic made it a harrowing experience.

Although it is well known that Hotel California is actually a metaphor, there are several strange Internet theories and urban legends about the "real" Hotel California. Some include suggestions that it was an old church taken over by devil worshippers, a psychiatric hospital, an inn run by cannibals or Aleister Crowley's mansion in Scotland. It's even been suggested that the "Hotel California" is the Playboy Mansion.

The music may have been inspired by the 1969 Jethro Tull song "We Used to Know," from their album Stand up. The chord progressions are nearly identical, and the bands toured together before the Eagles recorded "Hotel California." In a BBC radio interview, Jethro Tull frontman Ian Anderson said laughingly that he was still waiting for the royalties. Anderson makes it clear that he doesn't consider "Hotel California" to be borrowing anything from his song: "It's difficult to find a chord sequence that hasn't been used, and hasn't been the focus of lots of pieces of music. It's harmonic progression is almost a mathematical certainty you're gonna crop up with the same thing sooner or later if you sit strumming a few chords on a guitar. There's certainly no bitterness or any sense of plagiarism attached to my view on it, although I do sometimes allude, in a joking way, to accepting it as a kind of tribute."

After Don Henley came up with the title, a theme developed for the album. Don Felder told us how some of the other songs fit in: "Once you arrive in LA and you have your first couple of hits, you become the 'Kid In Town,' and then with greater success, you live 'Life In The Fastlane ' and you start wondering if all that time you've spent in the bars was just 'Wasted Time.' So all of these other song ideas kind of came out of that concept once the foundation was laid for 'Hotel California.' It was a really insightful title."

Don Felder: "I had just leased this house out on the beach at Malibu, I guess it was around '74 or '75. I remember sitting in the living room, with all the doors wide open on a spectacular July day. I had this acoustic 12-string and I started tinkling around with it, and those Hotel California chords just kind of oozed out. Every once in a while it seems like the cosmos part and something great just plops in your lap."

An alternative interpretation of the meaning of the lyrics is that the song is a description of the journey from Need to Love and Marriage to Divorce and ultimately to the impossibility of regaining the life and happiness of the pre-divorce state.

Initially the traveler is feeling the need of a relationship ("My head grew heavy and my sight grew dim, I had to stop for the night"). The traveler meets his love and gets married ("There she stood in the doorway. I heard the mission bell"). A marriage commitment opens up the possibility of happiness but also the traveler is aware and vulnerable to the possibility of intense unhappiness ("And I was thinking to myself, this could be heaven or this could be hell")

Unfortunately the marriage dissolves and his love becomes obsessed with money ("Her mind is Tiffany-twisted") where Tiffany" refers to the very expensive jewelry store, Tiffany & Co. With the divorce there is the division of property - she got the Mercedes Benz. After the breakup when he sees her with any guys she reassures him that the pretty, pretty boys" are just friends." In this new world of being single the other singles he meets do their dance in the courtyard" of life. They generally fall into two groups: There are those who can't stop talking about their Ex ("Some dance to remember") and there are those who don't what to say anything at all about their past marriage ("some dance to forget").

Now in this world of being divorced he longs to return the pre-divorced state of happiness ("So I called up the captain, please bring me my wine"), but he finds that his happiness is now irrevocably in the past ("We haven't had that spirit here since 1969").

Deep into the post-divorce single's scene with "mirrors on the ceiling, the pink champagne on ice" he is reminded that "we are all just prisoners here, of our own device." He and others want this divorce nightmare to be over, yet - "they stab it with their steely knives, but they just can't kill the beast." Now frustrated, he panics and is "running for the door. I had to find the passage back to the place I was before" But he is brought up short when the night man informs him that "You can checkout any time you like (commit suicide), but you can never leave" (become pre-divorced).

There are two choruses in the song and each mention the "Hotel California." Around the time the song was written, California was experiencing the highest divorce rate in the nation. Each chorus has lines that remember his past marriage ("Such a lovely place") and his past lover ("Such a lovely face"). The first chorus indicates that there can always be more divorces ("Plenty of room at the Hotel California, any time of year, you can find it here"). The second chorus points out that as a part of divorce you will always "bring your alibis."

The Hotel California album is #37 on the Rolling Stone list of the 500 Greatest Albums of all time. According to the magazine, Don Henley said that the band was in pursuit of a note perfect song. The Eagles spent eight months in the studio polishing take after take after take. Henley also said, "We just locked ourselves in. We had a refrigerator, a ping pong table, roller skates and a couple cots. We would go in and stay for two or three days at a time."

According to a reader-submitted poll for Guitar World magazine, the guitar solo for this song is ranked #8 out of 100.

Don Felder told Gibson about his contribution to this track. "I thought it was really unique and different to anything ever written. The Eagles had been heading in a conventional country-rock direction. I was added to the band for my electric guitar, slide-electric ability and to help turn them into more of a rock and roll band. I was writing stronger guitar tracks that used electric guitar like "Victim Of Love'' and 'Hotel California.' When I came up with the 'Hotel California' progression, I knew it was unique but didn't know if it was appropriate for the Eagles. It was kind of reggae, almost an abstract guitar part for what was on the radio back then.

When I was writing for the Hotel California album, I was working on a TEAC 4-track in a beach house in Malibu and I was putting down ideas on tape. Then I made cassette copies and gave them to [Don] Henley, [Glenn] Frey, Walsh and [Randy] Meisner. Henley called me to say he really like the Mexican bolero, Mexican reggae song. I knew exactly which track he meant. Don came up with a great lyric concept for the song."

This followed "New Kid in Town" as the second single released from the album. There was no doubt about the song's merits as an album track, but issuing it as a single defied convention. Don Felder told us: "when we finally finished that whole album, the record company had been pounding on the door trying to get in and get this record, because they wanted to release it. We were about four months overdue on delivering our record per our contract. So we finally let the record company in. The execs come in and we had this playback party for them at the record plant here in Los Angeles. And after the song 'Hotel California' played, Henley turned around and said, 'That's going to be our single.'

In the '70s, the AM format, which was what we were really aiming for, had a specific formula; your song had to be between three minutes and three minutes and thirty seconds long, and it had to be a dance track, a rock track, or a trippy ballad. The introduction could only be 30 seconds long before the singer started, so the disc jockey didn't have to speak so long.

'Hotel California' is six and a half minutes long. The introduction to it is a minute long. You can't really dance to it. It stops in the middle when the drums stop: 'mirrors on the ceiling,' that section, and it's got a two minute guitar solo on the end. It's the complete wrong format.

So I said, 'Don, I think you're wrong. I think that's a mistake. I don't think we should put that out as the single. Maybe an FM cut, but not a single.' And he said, 'Nope, that's going to be our single.' And I've never been so delighted to have been so wrong in my life. You just don't know."

In Chicago at the time of this song's popularity many people called the Cook County jail "Hotel California" because it is on California street. The name stuck and now people of all ages and races refer to the jail by this nickname.

This was featured in the first episode of the TV series American Horror Story: Hotel, which is about a haunted and horrifying hotel run by Lady Gaga. The show in many ways is a visual representation of the song, and this episode ("Checking In") ends with a man moving into the hotel under duress. The song plays as he starts the process, and when he gets to his room, the episode ends, punctuated by the line, "You can check out any time you'd like, but you can never leave."

Testifying on Russian influence over American affairs before the Senate Judiciary Committee on July 27, 2017, businessman William Browder invoked this song, saying, "There's no such thing as a former intelligence officer in Russia. It's like the Hotel California. You can check out any time you like, but never leave."

Last edited by arabchanter (30/7/2018 11:59 pm)

Board footera