Offline

Hibs forum comments on him joining us...
Offline

PatReilly wrote:
Pleased, on the surface, at this signing for next season.
But three slight concerns:
1) why would you sign for a club when you don't know what division they will be in next season?
2) what type of wage are United offering, again when we don't know what league we will be in next season?
3) why, each time James Keatings has been at a club which has been promoted (three times, Hamilton, Hearts and Hibs), has he promptly left to stay in the Championship (obviously, I'm hoping this changes this time)?
I thought about it this afternoon..
Assume he has been told he will be first choice
And he will be taking a fair wage drop to join us. Alot of top earners will be leaving in a few weeks time, also imagine ray and thompson has sat down and spoke about next seasons budget for the championship and premier.
Thats my thoughts on it anyway.
Offline

Good move for United and the player.
Ray obviously wants to hit the ground running next season, if we don't get promoted this season he knows he needs to win the league next year.
For the player he's obviously not going to get a start for Hibs, certainly not upfront where he wants to be playing, so to get a move to the next biggest club in Scotland after Hibs, where he's going to start, is a great move for him.
Offline
The guy seems to ge a decent player which is a bonus.
I find it strange though that we're signing players before the play offs are over, is this guy good enough to play in the SPL if we fluke promotion?
As far as Murray for next season if we've got genuine ambition he cannot be 1st or 2nd choice for us he's simply not good enough.
Offline
SuperMario wrote:
Would yous get rid of Murray now keatings has signed??
Would get rid even if it was Buster Keaton signed ![]()
Offline

On paper he seems like a decent player at Championship level.But is he good enough for the Premiership?Which is (of course) where we want to be again come August.
My other slight concern tbh is signing players before the season is even over.
Not trying to be a dick but there's a good chance i will want McKinnon as far away from Tannadice as possible come Friday night.I probably won't be alone in this.
I feel the club is going into yet another pivotal Summer rebuild but this time the recruitment has to be 100% spot-on.No more Toshneys,no more Nicholls,no more Van Der Veldens.
Do you really trust Ray to get that recruitment correct even with the help of his mate from Lochee Utd.
I don't,sadly.
Offline
Not sure, not a player I seem to remember watching which is not a good sign perhaps. Has to be an improvement on Simon .......or Ray's messed up again.
We need Some premiership level players as if don't get through playoffs we need to be better next year to ensure we're good enough to get up next year......not easy, took Hibs 3 years and thon new Glasgow Sevco 2 years.
Offline

Tek wrote:
On paper he seems like a decent player at Championship level.But is he good enough for the Premiership?Which is (of course) where we want to be again come August.
My other slight concern tbh is signing players before the season is even over.
Not trying to be a dick but there's a good chance i will want McKinnon as far away from Tannadice as possible come Friday night.I probably won't be alone in this.
I feel the club is going into yet another pivotal Summer rebuild but this time the recruitment has to be 100% spot-on.No more Toshneys,no more Nicholls,no more Van Der Veldens.
Do you really trust Ray to get that recruitment correct even with the help of his mate from Lochee Utd.
I don't,sadly.
Come friday? I know now i dont want ray anywhere near tannadice next season. Sadly he will be unless he walks.
Recruitment has been our issue. And as you say needs to be spot on this time around. And he hasnt really impressed with the majority of who he has signed but when i heard keatings name i did think thats a good player for us and didnt expect it to happen. Seems to be a mixed response on this one and hoping he does the job for us.
Offline

Thread going off topic from the positive signing news but fwiw I don't think there is any chance Ray won't be here in August.
From day 1 he's talked non stop about a rebuilding job which suggests his chairman was on board with that plan.. He's finished 3rd and won the dinghy cup in a league where second should have been the minimum but where many on here had us finishing 7th or worse before a ball was kicked.
Wether anyone thinks he's done a poor job or not I can't see him being fired and he shouldn't walk.
Offline
If we'd started badly but came with a run at the end I'd cut him some slack but watching him and the team since xmas I've absolutely no confidence in him either building a team or getting us up next season.
Finishing 3rd was a disgrace
Offline

Asked the boy who I sit next to at work about Keatings - he's a Hertz season ticket holder - says he was a bit pissed off they let him go as he felt he could have done a job in the top league if given a chance.
Offline

Arabnophobia wrote:
Hibs forum comments on him joining us...
Reading those comments the majority of Hibs are sad to see him go but more due to the sentiment of him being part of the cup winning side last year. Many seem to say he was inconsistent but had a spark that could change a game(something we do need)
Wasn't getting much game time at Hibs this season so likely Ray telling him he will be a regular starter was a big factor in him signing.
Think it's a good signing for us though
Ray will definitely be here next season, mind him saying that his remit was to at least make the play offs and he's done that. There's been a lot of talk about he had to rebuild after he inherited the team at the end of last season, my concern is that I don't think the club is any further forward a year later.
However heard he was saying at a ULT Q&A that he's wanting 13 players gone, chief among them was Spittal who he doesn't rate, alluded to him being signed by the previous management in the hope of selling on for a profit. Says he only wants to sign players aged between 23-28 and that any youth should be coming through from within the club. So it certainly sounds like it's going to be a busy summer at the club
Offline

I wouldn't keep any who are out of contract
Offline

SuperMario wrote:
I wouldn't keep any who are out of contract
I'm sure the majority of the 13 players are out of contract. Most of them should have been let go after we got relegated but obviously finances dictated otherwise.
Offline
Rick Dagless wrote:
SuperMario wrote:
I wouldn't keep any who are out of contract
I'm sure the majority of the 13 players are out of contract. Most of them should have been let go after we got relegated but obviously finances dictated otherwise.
Agreed.
Ray should complete the clear out at first opportunity.
He wanted to build his own team, time to get rid of Sackie and Mixedup's deadwood and deliver as promised.
Has to be clinical now, 2 / 3 seasons of not good enough, we deserve better !
Online!

Really don't see many of the 13 staying.
Time to get rid of high wages, fragile heads and wasters.
I'd love to keep kuate and big Phil. Obviously andreu too but highly unlikely. Wouldn't be bothered if we kept Murdoch but equally not too bothered if he goes.
Hopefully ray puts together a squad with guile pace and width - something fans love to see and we can move on from where we are.
Tough ask to motivate players who know they arent getting contracts at the end of the season. Maybe our slump in form goes back to players being told?
Offline

What was kuate like at the weekend couldn't make it???
Last edited by SuperMario (09/5/2017 2:18 pm)
Offline
I heard on Friday that Phil is desperate to stay. He's proven his worth IMO.
Offline
Hopefully we can get a couple of wingers in then, give him the service he needs, should he stay.
Offline

Done deals: Keatings,
Possible signings: King, Taylor-Sinclair and Devlin
Players that will be here next season (in contract): Bell, Long Ballantyne, Donaldon, Toshney, Durnan, Edge, Robson, Allardice, Fraser, Murrell
Out of contrcat Players I would like to keep: Kaute, Spittal.
On loan players I'd like to sign: Andreu and Mikkelson
Players Im happy to see the back of: Zwick, VDS, Donaldson, Toshney, Dixon, Flood, Telfer, Murray
The clear out starts.
Last edited by Arab87 (09/5/2017 3:26 pm)
Online!

Not heard the taylor-sinclair rumour.
He's played a lot this season...
Hope big Phil is keen on staying. With more exposure to the style of play here, he will get better and better. If he gets the service he could be a 20 goal striker.
Kuate in, flood out would be brill!
I'd still keep Murray as long as he's not number 1 striker - difficult to say you don't want a 16 goal striker, even with his flaws
Last edited by Tangy (10/5/2017 8:27 am)
Offline

What Dundee United are getting in Hibs striker James Keatings- from the Scotsman this evening.......
Offline

Arabnophobia wrote:
What Dundee United are getting in Hibs striker James Keatings- from the Scotsman this evening.......
The journalist must look in on here.
He has written almost word for word what i did earlier in his first paragraph.
Either that or he's just a very perceptive young man.![]()
Offline
48 goals in 93 starts according to
Not too shabby a return.