Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05/10/2014 5:34 pm  #1

Titles there to be won

Question is do Utd have the balls and ambition for a challenge?

05/10/2014 6:30 pm  #2

Re: Titles there to be won

We'll never get a better chance. Hamilton are up there because the are playing good football, believing in the manager and working as a unit. We are up there playing percentages football, looking disjointed and ill at ease with each other and the manager. Celtic looking much the same as us. If we can get our act together we could really do some damage.

Too much commotion

05/10/2014 6:36 pm  #3

TEK wrote:

Question is do Utd have the balls and ambition for a challenge?

your correct mate celtic look very average so far and title could be won by other team other than celtic but sadly i dont think we can and i will tell you why mate, when it comes to a crunch game against celtic if we are still ahead or behind them by a few points we wont beat them as we dont have the balls to beat them in a crunch game mate, i hope i can be proved wrong mate and we can be title winners come end of season

05/10/2014 6:43 pm  #4

If anyone has the ambition It's Aberdeen. The title isn't there to be one tbh boys, If it's dodgy In January theyll spend.

05/10/2014 6:49 pm  #5

RogerTheAlien wrote:

If anyone has the ambition It's Aberdeen. The title isn't there to be one tbh boys, If it's dodgy In January theyll spend.

aberdeen have more bottle than us in the sense that they could beat celtic in a crunch game but sadly we wouldnt

05/10/2014 7:26 pm  #6

RogerTheAlien wrote:

They've spent this Summer,brought in players who are on money waaay outwith any other teams budget.

That's no guarantee of success.

Aslong as other teams are taking points off them,there's a chance this year.

I do agree Aberdeen are best placed though,squad wise.they have strength in-depth.

05/10/2014 7:29 pm  #7

unbelievable that we've had this debt hanging round our neck like a noose waiting to squeeze the life out of us...then we finally get the break we craved for years and freed us from it...then this happens

if we hadn't sold andy robbo and gauldy i honestly believe we could have won this..

but we HAD to sell...just had to

talk about good/bad timing eh...no real

Last edited by stobievulture (05/10/2014 7:30 pm)

05/10/2014 7:37 pm  #8

If we hang in there till January in top 3 and within,i dunno 5 points of top say we simply MUST strengthen with 2 or 3 players in.

One's who are ready to play in the 1st team immediately,not kids with potential.

We will never get a better chance.

Next season Heart and either Hibs/or Sevco will be back and Celtic will step-up their game.

C'mon ST,Jackie and the players.Time to step it up after the International break and really give it a go this season.

05/10/2014 8:09 pm  #9

They'll still win it by 15 points IMO

Yeah yeah Industrial Estate

05/10/2014 8:46 pm  #10

huntedbyafreak wrote:

They've only been about 15 points ahead of 2nd the past few seasons and that was under lennon when they were pretty damn consistent week in week out.

There is a real sense of unambition coursing through Scottish Fitba tbh.

Hear some Utd fans saying "oh i'de be happy if we finish 4th"

4th?? 4th ??

In a top flight without The Rangers,Hearts +Hibs and against the worst Celtic and Motherwell teams in a few years.

Game at a time and all that but what's wrong with aiming for 1st ?

Would need ambition shown by the club in january to get the fans on-board perhaps.

05/10/2014 9:01 pm  #11

huntedbyafreak wrote:

They'll win it handsomely and probably for the next 5-10 years. 

When push comes to shove, money talks.

05/10/2014 9:09 pm  #12

TEK wrote:

huntedbyafreak wrote:

They've only been about 15 points ahead of 2nd the past few seasons and that was under lennon when they were pretty damn consistent week in week out.

There is a real sense of unambition coursing through Scottish Fitba tbh.

Hear some Utd fans saying "oh i'de be happy if we finish 4th"

4th?? 4th ??

In a top flight without The Rangers,Hearts +Hibs and against the worst Celtic and Motherwell teams in a few years.

Game at a time and all that but what's wrong with aiming for 1st ?

Would need ambition shown by the club in january to get the fans on-board perhaps.

surely its a case of happy at 4th tek and over the moon at better?

how many times in our 100+ year history have we finished in the top three? only once on the top two

its not un-ambitious ...its realistic mate

hopefully we can though

05/10/2014 9:25 pm  #13

As well as the obvious signings which need to be made: ie striker, left back and possibly defensive midfielder (unless Smith, Fraser, Telfer or Petrie actually get a chance and step up to the plate) I would suggest on current evidence that another experienced attacking midfielder/winger needs to be brought in.  Everyone's favourite 3 of Dow, Armstrong and GMS have been (apart from at Dens for 45 mins) woeful. Again, unless Connolly, Spittall (not on the evidence so far) step up we are going to need to do something drastic.  Erskine is probably 1st choice in there at the moment, largely because he appears to be the only one who looks like he wants to be here and is trying to make things happen.  The body language of the other three is pretty shocking and look like that of a band in its death throes when all the members have fallen out and are just going through the motions.

A couple of observations: Fojut has been poor twice this season: v Celtic and v Killie.  We lost both.
Our best team performance where we actually played some good stuff and really looked up for it all over the park came at Dens when Ciftci wasn't playing.

Still think Celtic will win the league, but by christ we'd be kicking ourselves if they did struggle to the line and we are not the one's to be challenging them simply because our better players are off-form/in the huff.

Last edited by lifesanocean (05/10/2014 9:30 pm)

Too much commotion

05/10/2014 9:35 pm  #14

@Stobes

we have the 3rd biggest budget in the top flight and the 3rd biggest support.

No,i will not be happy at 4th mate.

05/10/2014 9:36 pm  #15

I would be disappointed with anything less than 3rd this season tbh. We are the 3rd biggest club in the league for the 1st and last time. 

05/10/2014 9:38 pm  #16

My thoughts ^^^^

05/10/2014 10:05 pm  #17

Top 3 would be excellent, Celtic's budget and support Is far bigger than ours so we shouldn't be close which we won't. No reason why we can't really establish ourselves for the future and really go for Europe every year and make ourselves 3rd force In Scotland.

05/10/2014 10:06 pm  #18

yeah great points lads, saying happy, i wouldn't be to down if we finished 4th...but 2nd has got to be the target...but i'd still take 4th and a cup win

05/10/2014 10:25 pm  #19

Cup win and i'd be ecstatic with 10th mate tbh

05/10/2014 10:30 pm  #20

1. Celtic
2. Aberdeen
3. Dundee United
An improvement on last season on and off the pitch.
No harm in asking for more but i reckon that will be our lot lads.

Hear their shout, hear their roar
They've probably had a barrel of ale and much, much more
Hooray, hooray, hooray, yeah
Over the hill went the swords of a thousand men

05/10/2014 10:38 pm  #21

stobievulture wrote:

yeah great points lads, saying happy, i wouldn't be to down if we finished 4th...but 2nd has got to be the target...but i'd still take 4th and a cup win

When I say disappointed I wopuldn't be cup final loss disappointed. Just think that top 3 is certainly do-able

05/10/2014 10:57 pm  #22

huntedbyafreak wrote:

This, unfortunately.  They can go on a 10 game winning run, no one else can get close to that.  We'll finish top 3.

05/10/2014 11:07 pm  #23

I'm the same as TEK, anything less than 3rd is a poor season for me.

Not only for budget and club size but also based on stability, facilities, player turnover (lack of), management team and most importantly talent at our disposal.

If we has won the cup last year I would have said there was a wee outside chance of the league but I doubt we've got the bottle.

06/10/2014 12:51 pm  #24

Even as the chance presents itself more and more I can't take it seriously. I hate myself for thinking this way and being negative but I just can't see has doing the business when the push come to shove. Friday night is vivid and not helping, but it serves as further reminder for me. We will go on to have good games and push to make it hard, but will faulter end of March into April if we are still there or there abouts.

We need an experianced player or 2 in, of which one at least needs to provide serious competition for Ciftci. Getting young players in with potential has and is serving us well, but there is only so much you can rely on it and right now we are too heavily reliant on it I feel and need a slight mix in there to balance it out.

Need to be pushing on top 3 though at least.

06/10/2014 1:38 pm  #25

Hamilton at the top ATM are there to be removed. We're sitting 2nd ATM, so we are in the best position to displace them. Who would've thought ay?

Whereas if the Green Men were at the top, don't think anyone could displace them.

Personally, I'd be happy with 4th, but hope due to being the 3rd biggest club in the SP, that we' d get 3rd. Think for 2nd it's a head to head with the Sheep.

Hard call this, because the SPs up the poley just now.

Board footera