Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

01/3/2017 10:07 pm  #51

Re: Wednesday's Fan Focus #29 - CanadianArab

Thanks for that tonight, CA. A hard shift, eh?

01/3/2017 10:13 pm  #52

Final question CA.

You have a dinner/drinks party and can invite 5 people (dead or alive).

Who do you invite?

01/3/2017 10:16 pm  #53

PatReilly wrote:

Thanks for that tonight, CA. A hard shift, eh?

No bother. Not as many tough questions as I was expecting.  :-)

01/3/2017 10:23 pm  #54

Tek wrote:

Final question CA.

You have a dinner/drinks party and can invite 5 people (dead or alive).

Who do you invite?

My Dad (died 1984)
My Mum (died 2007)
Bowie
Bin Laden
Sir James Black

Bloody hell, that was a tough one.

01/3/2017 10:29 pm  #55

Rockies, 4 hour drive from my house. I sometimes go road-biking in the Rockies then stop at the Miette hot springs to bathe and relax before going for some food. Open air natural sulphur springs from underground.

01/3/2017 10:33 pm  #56

Maligne lake, 45km outside Jasper (which is 4 hours from my house). Sometimes do a bike ride from Jasper up to Maligne lake (about 1.2km of vertical) and then back again. Brilliant on the way down, an absolute leg burner on the way up.

01/3/2017 10:40 pm  #57

Gerry Ronald. That's the lad. Worst player I ever saw in a United shirt. Came on as a sub for Alan Irvine in a friendly vs Real Sociedad.

http://www.dufcarchive.co.uk/matchdetails.php?id=4779

01/3/2017 10:46 pm  #58

Canadian Arab wrote:

Maligne lake, 45km outside Jasper (which is 4 hours from my house). Sometimes do a bike ride from Jasper up to Maligne lake (about 1.2km of vertical) and then back again. Brilliant on the way down, an absolute leg burner on the way up.

Hope the time a bear chases you its on the way down.

01/3/2017 10:46 pm  #59

Sunwapta Falls, on Hwy 93A through the Rockies between Jasper and Banff. Another place I cycle to on a 120km+ ride. Stunning.
Enough of the photos. You get the idea. Well worth putting on a bucket list for a visit.
The most spectacular drive I've ever done was on Vancouver Island last summer - the highway that runs east-west between Parksville and Ucluelet. The scenery was phenomenal.

01/3/2017 10:49 pm  #60

Arabnophobia wrote:

Hope the time a bear chases you its on the way down.

Bears only chase you uphill - if you go downhill they usually let you go 👍🏼

Not good, given that uphill you're struggling to keep the bike moving in some bits. On the way back you're hitting 80 km/h on the long steep sections.

01/3/2017 10:52 pm  #61

PatReilly wrote:

Okay, good of you to do this!

I'll put a general one in here for you (but anybody can answer this).

Canadian star Davide Xausa was rumoured to have been signing for Dundee United at one stage just over 15 years ago: it’s a sort of puzzle for everyone this……………
Why would he have ‘completed a set’ for United if he’d signed?

We have had players starting with the other 25 letters of the alphabet. 

01/3/2017 10:54 pm  #62

Have you ever been to see Craig Campbell?

https://youtu.be/1CpzIScQlek

Does Canada have a better comedian?

01/3/2017 10:55 pm  #63

Canadian Arab wrote:

PatReilly wrote:

Okay, good of you to do this!

I'll put a general one in here for you (but anybody can answer this).

Canadian star Davide Xausa was rumoured to have been signing for Dundee United at one stage just over 15 years ago: it’s a sort of puzzle for everyone this……………
Why would he have ‘completed a set’ for United if he’d signed?

We have had players starting with the other 25 letters of the alphabet. 

Brilliant!!!!!!

01/3/2017 11:04 pm  #64

shedboy wrote:

sorry been out and meant to ask a question - wonderful photos.  The bears have small hamstrings and dont like running downhill bud ... haha some great q and as in there!

cycling is for pussies though - ultra running is the game

great stuff QA

Aye, but both Achilles have been operated on for severe tendonosis, so I can't really run any more. It's cycling or nothing. You should see me playing footie on a bike 

01/3/2017 11:05 pm  #65

shedboy wrote:

cycling is for pussies though - ultra running is the game

Not if a hungary fkn fast bear is chasing yer Arabian arse on a hill Shedboy!   

01/3/2017 11:09 pm  #66

Just one serious question though.

What is the moment that stands out as the most mental you've gone at a United match. The type of tribalistic explosion you looked back on, unique to a fitba situation, that even surprised yersel?

01/3/2017 11:09 pm  #67

loved the pics, many thanks

Bring back the (real) "United Way" not the kiddy-on Martin version

01/3/2017 11:19 pm  #68

Arabnophobia wrote:

Have you ever been to see Craig Campbell?

https://youtu.be/1CpzIScQlek

Never heard of him tbh.

Mike Myers, Martin Short, Russell Peters, Eugene Levy, Leslie Nielsen ....

01/3/2017 11:20 pm  #69

annanarab wrote:

loved the pics, many thanks

You're welcome. I never took them. I stole them off the interweb. I have some nice ones but have no idea how to put them into a post.

01/3/2017 11:31 pm  #70

Arabnophobia wrote:

Just one serious question though.

What is the moment that stands out as the most mental you've gone at a United match. The type of tribalistic explosion you looked back on, unique to a fitba situation, that even surprised yersel?

The last time I was going to matches regularly was the late 80s. Worked in England from 89-93 then came to Canada. Struggling to remember that far back. Good mental - probably the final whistle when we won the title. Celtic were winning about 5-0 and if the Dees had equalised, the league would have been tied on goal difference or something like that. Massive squeaky bum time after Ferguson scored to make it 2-1 and huge relief and joy at the final whistle. Looking at where we are now, it's hard to believe we were that good. Bad mental - might have been a match I wasn't even at. Think it was the LC final against the huns in about 2008. I had audio for the game. We were cruising it and then threw it away, and the ref gave us absolutely nothing. I was in tears and yelling at the computer. I regularly lost it when we were playing the huns and got cheated out of results by corrupt referees. Was so proud when Levein said it like it was in that TV interview.

01/3/2017 11:48 pm  #71

Canadian Arab wrote:

motherwellarab wrote:

Ever saw a grizzly bear?

Aye, quite a few times. Always from a vehicle. You don't want to come across one when you're hiking or biking. They can run as fast as a race horse and they eat folk if you piss them off.

You seem like a decent Arab so I Googled to see if I could find you a solution if chased.

Personally like numbers 2 and 4 the best and fairly chuckled at the disclaimer.

How to Survive a Black Bear Attack

1. Carry bear pepper spray. As with the grizzly bear, bear pepper spray should be your first line of defense in a bear attack.

2. Stand your ground and make lots of noise. Black bears often bluff when attacking. If you show them you mean business, they may just lose interest.

3. Don’t climb a tree. Black bears are excellent climbers. Climbing up a tree won’t help you out here.

4. Fight back. If the black bear actually attacks, fight back. Use anything and everything as a weapon- rocks, sticks, fists, and your teeth. Aim your blows on the bears face- particularly the eyes and snout. When a black bear sees that their victim is willing to fight to the death, they’ll usually just give up.

Disclaimer

The Art of Manliness does not encourage people to go out and find a bear to practice these skills with.     Practicing on your significant other will not do either.

02/3/2017 12:02 am  #72

Arabnophobia wrote:

Canadian Arab wrote:

motherwellarab wrote:

Ever saw a grizzly bear?

Aye, quite a few times. Always from a vehicle. You don't want to come across one when you're hiking or biking. They can run as fast as a race horse and they eat folk if you piss them off.

You seem like a decent Arab so I Googled to see if I could find you a solution if chased.

Personally like numbers 2 and 4 the best and fairly chuckled at the disclaimer.

How to Survive a Black Bear Attack

1. Carry bear pepper spray. As with the grizzly bear, bear pepper spray should be your first line of defense in a bear attack.

2. Stand your ground and make lots of noise. Black bears often bluff when attacking. If you show them you mean business, they may just lose interest.

3. Don’t climb a tree. Black bears are excellent climbers. Climbing up a tree won’t help you out here.

4. Fight back. If the black bear actually attacks, fight back. Use anything and everything as a weapon- rocks, sticks, fists, and your teeth. Aim your blows on the bears face- particularly the eyes and snout. When a black bear sees that their victim is willing to fight to the death, they’ll usually just give up.

Disclaimer

The Art of Manliness does not encourage people to go out and find a bear to practice these skills with. Practicing on your significant other will not do either.

I already know what to do mate! The preferable option by far is to make sure you don't come across a bear unexpectedly, so you make lots of noise when you're walking through an area where you could come across a bear. Almost every time when they hear you coming, they'll clear off. I also do carry bear spray, but by the time you have to use that, you already have big problems. If you do come across a bear unexpectedly, you back away slowly and downhill - don't maintain eye contact but don't turn away or run. Speak in a soothing voice. Don't think it matters what you say, so you could tell it that you'll rap it in the pus if it even looks at you the wrong way, as long as it's in a soothing voice. If it's a black bear, you should fight back if it charges you. If it's a grizzly and the bear spray hasn't worked, curl up, protect your head with your arms and hope for the best.
Regularly see foreign tourists out of their cars to take photos of bears at the side of the highway through the national parks. They want a photo with the bear cub and they think the Mum won't have an issue with that. I've even heard of tourists smearing their kid's hand with peanut butter so the bear cub will lick them while they take a photo. Bloody idiots. There's a river valley runs near my house and the animals use it as a route for migrating, so there are bears, cougars and wolves passing through it regularly. I don't even let my kids play down there.

02/3/2017 12:12 am  #73

"I've even heard of tourists smearing their kid's hand with peanut butter so the bear cub will lick them while they take a photo"

Smearing yer kids with food to attract dangerous wild animals? For a fucking photo?😂😕😢

02/3/2017 12:19 am  #74

Arabnophobia wrote:

"I've even heard of tourists smearing their kid's hand with peanut butter so the bear cub will lick them while they take a photo"

Smearing yer kids with food to attract dangerous wild animals? For a fucking photo?😂😕😢

And there are big signs everywhere, in multiple languages, telling you that bears are dangerous. Problem is, when some kid gets eaten through no fault of the bear, they then shoot the bear.

02/3/2017 12:25 am  #75

Arabnophobia wrote:

Here's a boy who was chased by a grey wolf while riding his motorbike:

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/banff-motorcyclist-pursued-by-massive-grey-wolf-along-stretch-of-b-c-highway-takes-pictures

I was chased by a bison for about half a mile in a Provincial Park that I cycle through close to where I live. It wasn't catching me but I couldn't shake the thing off either. Eventually a boy in an SUV overtook the bison and moved across to push it off the road and into the trees. That was a bit scary and it was only a really big coo with a massive head - not something that would eat me if it caught me.

Edit: I used to have two golden retrievers - I've taken them out for walks in the river valley before and had them hunted by a pack of coyotes. Not funny!

Honestly not sure what the hell I'm playing at, living in this place.

Last edited by Canadian Arab (02/3/2017 12:30 am)

Board footera