Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

01/3/2017 11:03 am  #1

Wednesday's Fan Focus #29 - CanadianArab

Tonight in our first 'Fan Focus' of 2017 we hear from our friend from across the Atlantic....CanadianArab.

8-9pm (our time).

01/3/2017 8:57 pm  #2

Re: Wednesday's Fan Focus #29 - CanadianArab

Should be about 8pm Dundee time if my calculations are correct. Just having a cuppie after my dinner (lunch).

01/3/2017 9:03 pm  #3

Okay, good of you to do this!

I'll put a general one in here for you (but anybody can answer this).

Canadian star Davide Xausa was rumoured to have been signing for Dundee United at one stage just over 15 years ago: it’s a sort of puzzle for everyone this……………
Why would he have ‘completed a set’ for United if he’d signed?

Last edited by PatReilly (01/3/2017 9:06 pm)

01/3/2017 9:04 pm  #4

And my next, just for you CA:

Given the huge number of folk who participate in football in Canada, do you think they should be higher in the FIFA world rankings as a nation? 

01/3/2017 9:06 pm  #5

PatReilly wrote:

Okay, good of you to do thus!

I'll put a general one in here for you (but anybody can answer this).

Canadian star Davide Xausa was rumoured to have been signing for Dundee United at one stage just over 15 years ago: it’s a sort of puzzle for everyone this……………
Why would he have ‘completed a set’ for United if he’d signed?

Really? That's the first question? :-)

We've had a Canadian keeper and a Canadian defender. Can't remember if we have had a midfielder with us. Pretty sure Xausa was a forward.
I've got nothin!

01/3/2017 9:06 pm  #6

Evening CA (or should it be afternoon ).

3 pronged opening question from moi.

1.Where are you originally from?
2.Where do you now live in Canada?

And

3.How did you come to support Dundee United?

01/3/2017 9:08 pm  #7

I'll let others ask you about your history, CA!

01/3/2017 9:08 pm  #8

PatReilly wrote:

Given the huge number of folk who participate in football in Canada, do you think they should be higher in the FIFA world rankings as a nation? 

They are currently where they deserve to be. Huge number of people playing and massive numbers of kids. Too much focus on winning as kids (kids' games leading to provincial and National Championship titles) and not enough focus on player development. Up until now, at least. But it's getting better. Jason De Vos recently appointed as head of youth development in Canada Soccer and he has the right idea. In a decade Canada will be on an upwards trajectory.

01/3/2017 9:12 pm  #9

Tek wrote:

Evening CA (or should it be afternoon ).

3 pronged opening question from moi.

1.Where are you originally from?
2.Where do you now live in Canada?

And

3.How did you come to support Dundee United?

Afternoon! (1pm)
Born in Dundee at the DRI, lived in Downfield until I was 6, moved to Arbroath. Came to Canada in 1993 for a one year job and haven't escaped. Live just outside Edmonton in the Province of Alberta, which is way over the far side (on the eastern side of the Rockies).
Used to kick a ball around with my mates in Arbroath. Two of them were United fans and season ticket holders. Picked up the bug from them. First game ever was the 79 LC final replay.

Downhill ever since.

01/3/2017 9:14 pm  #10

Canadian Arab wrote:

PatReilly wrote:

They are currently where they deserve to be. Huge number of people playing and massive numbers of kids. Too much focus on winning as kids (kids' games leading to provincial and National Championship titles) and not enough focus on player development. Up until now, at least. But it's getting better. Jason De Vos recently appointed as head of youth development in Canada Soccer and he has the right idea. In a decade Canada will be on an upwards trajectory.

Cheers. I mind Canada used to be well up the rankings in the 80s, and won the Gold Cup at the start of the last decade. They just appear to have been up and down over the years, while the USA has continually improved. 

You're a brave man doing this tonight when the pitchforks are out.....

01/3/2017 9:14 pm  #11

Do you think Utd will get promoted this season?

01/3/2017 9:14 pm  #12

Had a season ticket from 81 until I left Dundee in 89. Good time to have a season ticket.

01/3/2017 9:15 pm  #13

PatReilly wrote:

Canadian Arab wrote:

PatReilly wrote:

Cheers. I mind Canada used to be well up the rankings in the 80s, and won the Gold Cup at the start of the last decade. They just appear to have been up and down over the years, while the USA has continually improved. 

You're a brave man doing this tonight when the pitchforks are out.....

Hopefully I'm not the one being held responsible for the accounts.

01/3/2017 9:17 pm  #14

Tek wrote:

Do you think Utd will get promoted this season?

Yes.

Christ. Away for a sit down now.
I usually try and look on the bright side of United-related things. One of these "happy clappers" I hear folk talk about. Which is unlike me as I'm a miserable bastard about most other things.

01/3/2017 9:17 pm  #15

First game you attended?

01/3/2017 9:19 pm  #16

Glasgow is tangerine wrote:

First game you attended?

A weegie who cannae read. You don't come across them very often. :-)

LC Final replay in 79.
Followed that up with a dire 0-0 versus Partick at Tanny the following season. Still kept going after that though. Caught the bug.

01/3/2017 9:20 pm  #17

Do you watch any Canadian sport eg ice hockey and if so what are the differences atmosphere wise with footie?

01/3/2017 9:21 pm  #18

Are Canadians passionate about football?

01/3/2017 9:23 pm  #19

What's the nightlife like in Canada compared to Scotland?

01/3/2017 9:24 pm  #20

scarpia wrote:

Do you watch any Canadian sport eg ice hockey and if so what are the differences atmosphere wise with footie?

Watch a wee bit of ice hockey on the telly (Edmonton Oilers). Don't watch "Canadian Football" (similar to NFL) or baseball. Spend all my time coaching footie. Ice hockey atmosphere is decent at the play-offs or in a game vs another Canadian team. Problem is due to the distances there's not much of an away support (except when the Oilers play Calgary). The arenas are pretty spectacular though - the Oilers just moved into a brand new building - I haven't been (it's not cheap) but it's meant to be spectacular. Close to 20,000 seats around an ice rink, with a lid over the top. Pretty noisy. Honestly not a patch on the footie back home though, and there's no banter here.

01/3/2017 9:24 pm  #21

Ever saw a grizzly bear?

01/3/2017 9:26 pm  #22

What do you think of McKinnon?

The man for the job?

01/3/2017 9:26 pm  #23

motherwellarab wrote:

Are Canadians passionate about football?

The ones I hang around with are, but more about playing than watching. Nobody really goes to watch the local FC Edmonton team (they're not that good). But there are lots of ex-pats here and many immigrants from football-playing countries. We have a "mini world cup" every year, at several age group levels (adult, over 35, over 45) at the end of the indoor season. I'm meant to be playing for Scotland over-45s in April. People get passionate about crap like that.

01/3/2017 9:27 pm  #24

motherwellarab wrote:

What's the nightlife like in Canada compared to Scotland?

I'm married.

01/3/2017 9:28 pm  #25

motherwellarab wrote:

Ever saw a grizzly bear?

Aye, quite a few times. Always from a vehicle. You don't want to come across one when you're hiking or biking. They can run as fast as a race horse and they eat folk if you piss them off.

Board footera