Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

16/2/2018 12:02 pm  #1

Cobra Kai

Karate Kid modern day t.v. sequel coming out this year.

16/2/2018 4:09 pm  #2

Re: Cobra Kai

Hell yeah!

Sweep the leg...

Too much commotion

16/2/2018 4:35 pm  #3

Haha. When I saw the title I was ready to hate. Saw the trailer? Loved it!!! Ps. My wee man is called Kai. Unfortunately I couldn't call my daughter Cobra, Miyagi or washon. (Bugger,)

Last edited by japanarab (16/2/2018 4:36 pm)

It's not where you're from it's where you're at.

16/2/2018 5:06 pm  #4

japanarab wrote:

Haha. When I saw the title I was ready to hate. Saw the trailer? Loved it!!! Ps. My wee man is called Kai. Unfortunately I couldn't call my daughter Cobra, Miyagi or washon. (Bugger,)

Man, i wish you had called her 'Cobra'.

06/3/2018 3:30 am  #5

2nd teaser released 

12/3/2018 10:47 am  #6

3rd teaser

23/3/2018 8:20 am  #7

4th teaser.

Looks like maybe Johnny Lawrence is the 'good guy'?

27/3/2018 7:17 am  #8

Looks good. A bit like the Lethal Weapon tv show which, although cheesy and mindless, is actually a real throwback to 1980's cop shows. Good fun.

Too much commotion

10/5/2018 11:15 pm  #9

10/5/2018 11:17 pm  #10

First two episodes are FREE to watch on Youtube.

£1.89 an episode thereafter.

10/5/2018 11:37 pm  #11

Watched the first two episodes on Tuesday then watched the next eight back to back it was that good. Johnny is FAF in it. Some great non-PC comments. Great little Easter eggs in it for original fans. Can recommend it enough. One of the best tv shows I've seen in ages. One great scene is where Johnny's new student is washing the windows and asks "Sensei, should I wash these windows in anyway(hinting at the wash on wash off)" and Johnny replies "Nah, do whatever you want, I don't give a fuck." Lol.

11/5/2018 11:52 am  #12

I've watched episodes 1-6. Really loving it so far. If you've got an android device and have the Showbox app installed.  The whole series is on there for free.

Too much commotion

14/5/2018 1:51 am  #13

Watched the first 2 episodes.

I like Johnny Lawrence and pretty much hate Larusso (and his family).

Gonna binge it tonight.

17/5/2018 12:26 am  #14

Finished Series 1. Overall I really enjoyed the show. It was a real stroll down 'memory lane' but also a clever modern take on the characters in modern day.

​For me Larusso and Lawrence and their ongoing rivalry stole the show for me. I can't say I cared too much for the younger actors in the show. Not that there was anything wrong with their acting or anything. I just found their characters a bit bland compared to that of Larusso's and Lawrence's.

​SPOILER ALERT -

​Was interesting how in actual fact as the show progressed you realised that Johnnie Lawrence had actually been the real victim of the original film.

​He had the beautiful girlfriend who everyone wanted, was the coolest and toughest kid in his school and was the All-Valley karate Champion. Larusso took all of that from him and this huge dent to his confidence had obliterated his life to the extent that he was stuck in a timewarp. He couldn't get over his 'Halcyon Days' of the 80's and was self-destructing as he could no longer find the joy in life.

​The whole show for me was about Johnnies re-awakening from a 35 year slumber and also Larusso remembering who he actually was and what was really important in his life.

I look forward to Series 2.

​P.s. the arrival of John Kreese in the last scene ......Yaaaaaaas !!!

17/5/2018 12:44 am  #15

Tek wrote:

Finished Series 1. Overall I really enjoyed the show. It was a real stroll down 'memory lane' but also a clever modern take on the characters in modern day.

​For me Larusso and Lawrence and their ongoing rivalry stole the show for me. I can't say I cared too much for the younger actors in the show. Not that there was anything wrong with their acting or anything. I just found their characters a bit bland compared to that of Larusso's and Lawrence's.

​SPOILER ALERT -

​Was interesting how in actual fact as the show progressed you realised that Johnnie Lawrence had actually been the real victim of the original film.

​He had the beautiful girlfriend who everyone wanted, was the coolest and toughest kid in his school and was the All-Valley karate Champion. Larusso took all of that from him and this huge dent to his confidence had obliterated his life to the extent that he was stuck in a timewarp. He couldn't get over his 'Halcyon Days' of the 80's and was self-destructing as he could no longer find the joy in life.

​The whole show for me was about Johnnies re-awakening from a 35 year slumber and also Larusso remembering who he actually was and what was really important in his life.

I look forward to Series 2.

​P.s. the arrival of John Kreese in the last scene ......Yaaaaaaas !!!

The bit you mention about Johnny being the victim was a fan made video on YouTube a while back. The bit in Cobra Kai where Johnny is telling Miguel all about how Daniel ruined things for him is almost identical to that fan made video. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the inspiration for making Cobra Kai in the first place.

17/5/2018 10:26 pm  #16

Episode 8 was fantastic. Like how they merely hinted at Sam's karate abilities throughout the series rather than do the obvious and have her as the student right away. Obviously given the bit at the end suggests next series she's going to kick ass though. How good is she though?
Miguel was an absolute monster by the end and Johnny knew it.

Last edited by lifesanocean (17/5/2018 10:27 pm)

Too much commotion

17/5/2018 10:34 pm  #17

lifesanocean wrote:

Episode 8 was fantastic. Like how they merely hinted at Sam's karate abilities throughout the series rather than do the obvious and have her as the student right away. Obviously given the bit at the end suggests next series she's going to kick ass though. How good is she though?
Miguel was an absolute monster by the end and Johnny knew it.

Miguel had turned out like Johnny under Kreese.

A nice kid needing a father figure who had turned into a knob under the Cobra Kai tutelage.

Meanwhile Larusso turned a tear-a-way into a respectful, loyal student.

Will Johnny realise in the 2nd series he's on the bad side? You can see he's a good guy underneath it all. Will he have the power to say no to his Monster (John Kreese)?.

17/5/2018 10:55 pm  #18

I think they are destined to keep falling out unfortunately. A pity since episode 9 showed they have more in common than they'd like to admit. Gutted that we never got to see the drunken Rocky 3 style sparring session. Agree that Johnny is a fucking brilliant character. A Gene Hunt style un-pc relic but with many levels. Daniel started off an arse but really grew more likeable as the series went on. Feel Robbie was under-developed though and changed far too quickly.

I think a common enemy may unite them. Kreese? Chozen from Karate Kid 2?

Last edited by lifesanocean (17/5/2018 10:55 pm)

Too much commotion

18/5/2018 6:07 pm  #19

Been thinking more about the series and i said Johnny Lawrence had to face his Monster. Well in actual fact i think he had to face 3 monsters of his past.

1)His Step-Dad who bullied him
2)Larusso who took his title and girl
3)John Kreese who bullied him into his mould.

Now you could argue that in Series 1 he overcame his first 2 monsters in his step-Dad and Larusso.

But will he be able to finally stand-up and rid himself of the spectre of John Kreese so he can find true peace and happiness at last?

18/5/2018 6:19 pm  #20

Mike Barnes confirmed for series2. How many Easter eggs did you guys spot? My favourite was "Daniel Larusso is gonna coach". Or a nice subtle one of Johnny standing in the same pose as his coach from the original. Tons more to look out for.

18/5/2018 6:22 pm  #21

japanarab wrote:

Mike Barnes confirmed for series2. How many Easter eggs did you guys spot? My favourite was "Daniel Larusso is gonna coach". Or a nice subtle one of Johnny standing in the same pose as his coach from the original. Tons more to look out for.

Daniel rubbing his hands together as if to heal Johnny's Son's shoulder Miyagi style...to then say 'medic please'.

Few nods to other 80's movies too i noticed.

Like Johnny doing the Rocky 3 driving in his sports car and thinking of the past montage.

18/5/2018 6:26 pm  #22

japanarab wrote:

Mike Barnes confirmed for series2.

Oh Wow.

This is like doing Rocky 6 and having Mr T and Ivan Drago in it.

Can't wait.

19/5/2018 2:35 am  #23

Tek wrote:

japanarab wrote:

Mike Barnes confirmed for series2.

Oh Wow.

This is like doing Rocky 6 and having Mr T and Ivan Drago in it.

Can't wait.

It'll be epical!! Lol. A lot of these nostalgia type things end up garbage but I fully trust the guys who are writing this. Big karate kid fans and pretty funny guys too. The scene in episode 6 when Johnny is giving the nerds a speech is some of the funniest shit I've seen on tv. "I see nerds, I see losers, I see a weird guy with a hat and his tits popping out...." Too good!! Lol

10/3/2019 8:45 pm  #24

Series 2 teaser.

12/3/2019 1:45 am  #25

Larusso's wife 

Board footera