Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

06/12/2016 7:38 pm  #26

Re: Ian Cathro

Brave appointment by Hearts, but doesn't surprise me as I think Levein thinks outside the box. No idea how he'll do but he has the self-confidence to ride out the rough patches. That said, I've seen plenty of managers with self-confidence in bucket-loads who eventually started to doubt themselves when things weren't working. Mourinho a good current example; Mixu closer to home.

06/12/2016 7:39 pm  #27

Anyone know if Cathro applied to us when Mixu was let go?

06/12/2016 10:38 pm  #28

I hope he proves the doubters wrong. It will be interesting to see if he's improved his approach to dealing with people from his younger days. I suspect he has with the experience he's had over the last 5 years.

Last edited by lifesanocean (06/12/2016 10:39 pm)

Too much commotion

07/12/2016 1:32 am  #29

Great appointment and hope he does well. Could be the first step of real change in Scottish fitba. The whole "old pals act"  does my head in. That's why so many noses are out of joint at his appointment. Kris Boyd girning coz he saved coaching drills on a laptop!!! What should he have done?  Too many numpties that have dinosaur opinions and no real insights into the game ruining it. Guys like Darren Jackson picking up jobs that have no clue whatsoever, add in the idiotic pundits who are too scared to take on a job.

It's not where you're from it's where you're at.

07/12/2016 6:48 am  #30

agreed japan arab

I hope he does well, Scottish football needs new ideas, don't care what muppets like Boyd or Stewart think 

07/12/2016 6:26 pm  #31

Christ even Lee Wilkie is slagging him off in the Tully about his lack of interpersonal skills. Wilkie has obviously had dealings with him through United. Was Cathro really that unlikeable?

Too much commotion

07/12/2016 8:44 pm  #32

lifesanocean wrote:

Christ even Lee Wilkie is slagging him off in the Tully about his lack of interpersonal skills. Wilkie has obviously had dealings with him through United. Was Cathro really that unlikeable?

Sounds like most of the people slagging him are ex-pros out of work(at least from the game)--funny that eh? Again, most of it is about his personality. Anyone had a go at his coaching yet? Says it all that Malky MacKay is in the frame for a big gig at the SFA. They should be more worried about that.

07/12/2016 9:29 pm  #33

All I know about Cathro is what I've heard from others and the personality traits that he's getting slagged for do seem to be true.  Having said that is it necessarily a bad thing that he's so focused, driven and cant be arsed with anyone who doesn't share his vision?

It'll be interesting to see how he does, he's taking over a decent squad with a good mentor to help him so there's no excuses if it doesn't work.

07/12/2016 9:54 pm  #34

Easy to dis someone's personality traits, style, thinking, faults etc when you feel you are( or were) on a level with them or above but good managers don't need to be liked by co workers if successful.

If we were still stuck with JMac I'd be spewing with envy.
Happy with RMcK so more intrigued to see how he does.

07/12/2016 10:48 pm  #35

A great example of this is Brian Clough at Leeds--basically bullied and harassed from the moment he got there fae players who thought his ideas were bonkers and he was too young etc(most probably know the story from Damned United) and just look what he went on to at Forest!! I don't reckon Cathro will get that as Hearts don't seem to have any big stars plus Levein being there will help. Hope he stuffs it down the likes of Fatty Boyd's throat.

08/12/2016 8:05 pm  #36

He'll do annoyingly well there, no question.  I know he was very well though of at Newcastle.  Glad to see him given his opportunity.  I know there are plenty of brilliant coaches/coaching minds that go unnoticed because they hadnt played at a professional level which is dead fucking wrong.

10/12/2016 8:46 pm  #37

Never seen such an amount of media knives being sharpened.
Seems it's creating a fuss in the link between who supposedly kens what and who's experienced. 
Finding out mair about the windbag ex players, media and puntits that couldn't stay in the game.  Getting entertaining when you read between the lines.

12/12/2016 9:04 pm  #38

I don't know him at all. He comes over a bit geekish but at 30 years of age without a playing pedigree he's maybe entitled to.
Can he break a few taboos, put a dagger in the Weegie establishment and help drag Scottish football into the 21st century? Hope so & it's going to be well worth watching how it goes.

01/8/2017 8:48 am  #39

Sacked.

01/8/2017 8:59 am  #40

no surprise really.  He knows the game but is too arrogant and unlikeable. Dont know it for a fact but would imagine the hearts players are delighted the fans certainly are.

01/8/2017 11:56 am  #41

Disappointed that he failed quite so badly tbh.

Will feel like a 'victory' for the old boys network.

01/8/2017 8:20 pm  #42

RRDH wrote:

He'll do annoyingly well there, no question.  I know he was very well though of at Newcastle.  Glad to see him given his opportunity.  I know there are plenty of brilliant coaches/coaching minds that go unnoticed because they hadnt played at a professional level which is dead fucking wrong.

This aged well.

14/8/2017 7:47 am  #43

bowers wrote:

I think he will do a great job at Hearts

14/8/2017 9:29 am  #44

HE DID!

14/8/2017 9:05 pm  #45

Beardy23 wrote:

HE DID!

The baby faced assassin? 😎

Last edited by Arabnophobia (14/8/2017 9:06 pm)

15/8/2017 10:04 am  #46

Cathro was hung out to dry by the Press and Radio: the original post suggested he might be headed to Ibrox.

He'd have had smoke blown up his arse by the same media men if that had happened.

25/8/2017 2:40 pm  #47

He clearly wasn't up to it.

Board footera