Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19/6/2017 8:36 pm  #1

Panorama : Grenfell Tower

What a tough watch.

19/6/2017 10:25 pm  #2

Re: Panorama : Grenfell Tower

Watched it mysell Tek. Struggled to watch the scene where there is a woman who gets to meet the guy who lived a few floors above her, who put her over his shoulders and carried her down the stairs thru the smoke. Heart wrenching stuff.

Gove lives in Kensington. Heard on TV the night that he claimed 7 grand expenses to furnish his hoose. Meanwhile along the road, some chunt contributes to death of fowk to save 5 grand.

19/6/2017 11:39 pm  #3

Unashamedly shed a wee tear or two at that Bill.

Unbelievably moving.

25/6/2017 10:56 am  #4

Dinna ken if anybodys seen the news about the fowk being evacuated from 4 tower blocks in Camden over the last day or 2. By some bizarre coincidence, I actually stayed in 1 of them for a while in the early 80s. There are 4 of them (in Fellows Road for anybody wanting to have a look in Google maps).

I stayed in Dorney, which is the one at the Primrose Hill end. It was a m8 of of mine who'd bought a flat there when he moved down there with his work, and he put me up for a few month. The outside of them was a sort of dark yellow sandstone, which over the years, got really manky with the traffic smut. 3 of them (Burnham, Bray and Dorney towers), were built on top of an underground car park for residents, which you could see from above in a large opening on the walkway at the entrance to the block. A bit hairy, and I knew that a couple of fowk fell down the opening into the car park, and were seriously injured.

Taplow tower which was shown on the News, doesna have a car park below it because the main London to Glasgow railway line from Euston station is in a tunnel right next to it. Think that's why it might be at a weird angle on the corner of Winchester Rd.

The towers had a bit if infamy in the 70s and 80s, esp. Dorney as they were used by the BBC and ITV for a lot of TV shows such as The Sweeney, The Professionals, The Bill etc. Gerry Anderson used them as well.

My m8 paid 16 grand for his flat in 1982. They now go for 400k for a 2 bedroom, up to 525k for a 3 bedroom. His is on the 23rd floor, the very top, and last time I spoke to him, he was renting it out at £500pw.

Just the kinda junk culture p1sh you need on a Sunday morning.

25/6/2017 11:38 am  #5

Great post Bill.

I am away to look them up now.

Board footera