Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/11/2023 2:58 am  #1

Gauldie

Vancouver Whitecaps TV.
Team Captain, club player of the year.
In running for MLS MVP
Playing brilliant it seems

Hope you're seeing this Stevie Clarke

Last edited by Tek (12/11/2023 4:18 pm)

11/11/2023 5:48 am  #2

Re: Gauldie

I respect Stevie Clarke for what he's done for Scotland. Don't get me wrong.

But his complete neglection of Ryan Gauld is so disappointing. Particularly when he picks guys like Kenny McLean (living off one goal). And water carriers like Ryan Jack (being kind) who get picked every time regardless.

Why not give him the two last dead rubbers to see if he has in any way what it takes?

Seems so short sighted.

In fact, no, it seems stubborn.

12/11/2023 10:45 am  #3

Agreed. As well as Scotland have done I do feel the team still misses a bit of craft in that number 10 position. Gauld may be that type of player. We won't know until he gets a chance.

Too much commotion

20/11/2023 11:15 am  #4

Stevie Clarke has clearly done an excellent job, getting us back to two major tournament's and missing out narrowly on a third.  However some of the decisions he makes are mental.   Gauld for one - why he has never even been in a squad is unreal to me, I know there are less friendlies now but surely to fuck get him in and see what he can do.

The Shankland situation baffles me too - he was born to score goals, how thon Brown is continually picked ahead of him just makes no sense to me.  He has to be on the plane for next summer.

20/11/2023 1:47 pm  #5

Ryan Gauld and anyone else who never gets considered should try and engineer a move to the EPL, Championship or League One.

Even if they never play, score a goal etc they'll be given more consideration because of the perceived quality of the English game.

"Don't F*cking ever offer me that again!"

03/1/2024 11:18 pm  #6

I'm sure Gauld would be delighted to be selected for a Scotland squad. But knowing where he lives, where he plays, the standard of living he has and the amount he's making, I don't believe he would give any of that up to return to play for a team in the UK just so that he might get noticed by Clarke (and nor should he). At the end of the day, it's a job - and one with a pretty short shelf life - and what he's doing right now will set him and his family up for the rest of their lives and beyond.

There are very few ex-United players (and maybe none!) who left us and have gone on to set themselves up for life to the extent that Gauldie has done. I doubt that Andy Gray, Ray Stewart, Luggy, Big Dunc or Richard Gough can compete on that score, though Johnny Russell won't be a million miles away (and no coincidence which league he's playing in).

Gauld might return if he was offered a big money deal by a top EPL club, but I don't see that happening tbh.

05/1/2024 3:35 am  #7

Canadian Arab wrote:

I'm sure Gauld would be delighted to be selected for a Scotland squad. But knowing where he lives, where he plays, the standard of living he has and the amount he's making, I don't believe he would give any of that up to return to play for a team in the UK just so that he might get noticed by Clarke (and nor should he). At the end of the day, it's a job - and one with a pretty short shelf life - and what he's doing right now will set him and his family up for the rest of their lives and beyond.

There are very few ex-United players (and maybe none!) who left us and have gone on to set themselves up for life to the extent that Gauldie has done. I doubt that Andy Gray, Ray Stewart, Luggy, Big Dunc or Richard Gough can compete on that score, though Johnny Russell won't be a million miles away (and no coincidence which league he's playing in).

Gauld might return if he was offered a big money deal by a top EPL club, but I don't see that happening tbh.

Don't disagree with any of that. I don't blame Gauld.

I blame Clarke for being short-sighted. Why overlook him because he plays in the MLS?

We still call up Jack Hendry who now plays in Saudi, after all. I do like Clarke, but he is a stubborn old goat.

Board footera