Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17/2/2023 8:16 am  #1

The Scottish Independence Movement - Dead In The Water?

Now that Sturgeon has admitted defeat and bailed?

It very much feels that way sadly. Doesn't feel like there is a natural successor who can take the party, the movement and the country forward.

17/2/2023 8:35 pm  #2

Re: The Scottish Independence Movement - Dead In The Water?

A wee bit off-topic, but I played football with the deputy leader, Keith Brown, at Dundee Uni in the 80s. He was an ex-marine who had come back to read PoliSci. We were playing one Saturday in the "Angus League" v Strathmartine at a pitch out in the back end of beyond. Keith was an uncompromising full back and he won the ball out by the touchline with a good hard challenge. Three or four Strathmartine players just laid into him as he was on the ground, kicking him in the head and body. Keith just covered up and protected himself. A bit of a stramash followed, and no cards were administered. I went to see if Keith was okay and he commented that active duty was less dangerous than playing as a student in the Angus League.

What that means for the Scottish Independence Movement, I have no idea.

19/2/2023 11:07 pm  #3

... Three or four laying into them, ring the wagons ?
... Will the splits come from within ?

20/2/2023 10:30 pm  #4

Whoever takes over won't last till the next election.
SNP MSPs have been silenced by Sturgeon surely some of the 64 have some opinions of their own.

21/2/2023 10:34 pm  #5

It's hard to see where the SNP go from here, the potential new leaders have big shoes to fill after Sturgeon and Salmond. Whether any of them are up to the task remains to be seen.

I've always voted SNP because I believe in independence. But I've grown increasingly disillusioned with the party and certain policies.
This gender recognition bill was a disaster for them, either they were incompetent thinking Westminster wouldn't block the bill based on the fact it was deemed incompatible with current UK legislation or they did hoping it would somehow benefit them by turning public opinion further against Westminster and garner more sympathy and in turn more votes for independence. Instead it backfired and probably for the first time made Sturgeon look out her depth when she had questions put to her about it.

Independence appears to have stalled and we look to be stuck with the tories and Labour who both remain woefully out of touch this side of the border.

Board footera