Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/7/2018 1:40 pm  #1

Share deal dead

Interesting its been John Gibson according to Jim Spence

https://twitter.com/JimSpenceSport/status/1016661412175863808?s=19

10/7/2018 1:46 pm  #2

Re: Share deal dead

We have been played. Martin talks the talk though....
what a shambles.

10/7/2018 1:54 pm  #3

Knew weeks ago it was dead.

No takeover takes that long. Facebook bought Whatsapp in quicker time than this protracted buy out.

Just the usual shit Lads.

Time to move on and focus on what's in front of us i.e. getting out of this fucking division.

As an aside it would be interesting to hear what the unacceptable conditions John Gibson felt were being asked. Though i very much doubt we will ever find out sadly.

10/7/2018 1:54 pm  #4

Unbelievable

10/7/2018 1:57 pm  #5

John was heavily involved in the foundation and as far as im aware still is.

So there has never been American interest?
Is what Spence says true?

10/7/2018 2:00 pm  #6

John Gibson is a poster on here.

Would be good to hear his take on this.

Not expecting him to btw. But would be good to get a wee bit of transparency.

10/7/2018 2:02 pm  #7

10/7/2018 2:09 pm  #8

It was never ever happening. 

More bollocks to sell season tickets and yet again folk have fallen for it.

10/7/2018 2:17 pm  #9

TheShed wrote:

It was never ever happening. 

More bollocks to sell season tickets and yet again folk have fallen for it.

100% this. We have made to look like fools. We wont go up, we are overspending praying on this investment. Back to square one. But but....Martin speaks a good game!

10/7/2018 2:19 pm  #10

Genuinely not sure how Martin is being brought in to this??

10/7/2018 2:25 pm  #11

Perhaps its not off?
Using the media to apply pressure is a common bargaining tool these days

10/7/2018 2:25 pm  #12

'American consortium' an attempt to gouge more money from the genuine bid possibly?

10/7/2018 2:25 pm  #13

WeeDude_83 wrote:

Perhaps its not off?

After reading article I also thought this

10/7/2018 2:29 pm  #14

One thing i clearly remember is John Gibson saying on here that the DUSF would not be looking to buy-out Thompson.

So i take from that that any discussions were purely to do with him and his money. Perhaps the DUSF money could then have been 'invested' as further capital.

Again, would be good to hear what obstacles ST put in place. 

10/7/2018 2:57 pm  #15

I've posted on the facebook page of DUSF. This news today will severely damage their credentials as an open & honest fans group. They need to get a statement out urgently. 

10/7/2018 2:59 pm  #16

Offer price in region of £500K and they were in discussions for a couple of weeks so presumably the amount can't have been far off what he was looking for?

Wanting a further payment if promoted or a cut on future transfers spring to mind, but we'll probably never know

10/7/2018 3:04 pm  #17

Disappointing but not surprised given how long this has rumbled on. Hopefully we hear something from Gibson or directly from the club if it really is "dead".

What happened to the "American consortium"? Is Broughty Ferry the 51st State?

No doubt the ITK types on here and another forum will conveniently disappear now.

10/7/2018 3:08 pm  #18

Looks like Thompson’s changed the goal posts at the last minute.

I got a text this morning to say the deal was done.

Hopefully this is just the guy Gibson putting pressure on Thompson to lower his price.

I don’t know if Thompson’s been playing us like a fiddle all along, as the person that’s been keeping my up to date with information of this is closely connected to the board at Tannadice.

If  this doesn’t go through, we should call Thompson’s bluff and change the goalposts ourselvea by returning season tickets en masse.

10/7/2018 3:11 pm  #19

Funny how this comes out after we've sold 3600 season tickets a few days before the season starts...

10/7/2018 3:54 pm  #20

SuperMario wrote:

WeeDude_83 wrote:

Perhaps its not off?

After reading article I also thought this

Me too. I hope this is just the beginning and that Gibson and other wealthy potential investors are about to go public and call the bastard out. Its about fucking time the phoney war stopped and the real fight to save this football club begun.

Last edited by lifesanocean (10/7/2018 3:54 pm)

Too much commotion

10/7/2018 4:19 pm  #21

What a kick in the ball's us fans need answers it looks like the baldy bastard is holding everyone to ransom wanting ever last pound out of the club we love.

10/7/2018 4:21 pm  #22

FFS. How many more shambles do we have to put up with? This is 1 too many. Be great to hear statements from the Club, Martin, and DUSF.

10/7/2018 4:22 pm  #23

A lot of folk jumping to conclusions. A business deal fell through, happens a lot. I'd rather wait and see what the crack is before raging

10/7/2018 4:27 pm  #24

Copy and paste from the DUSF fb page - for those not following or on

"As most of you will now be aware local businessman John Gibson made an offer to buy Stephen Thompson's majority shareholding in Dundee United FC. The offer was accepted verbally last week but subsequent to that Stephen Thompson insisted on conditions on the sale that were unacceptable to Mr Gibson. John is of course a Director of the DUSF and although this was a private transaction John did advise the Steering Group last week. John's intention was to discuss with the DUSF membership how the Foundation could operate with a new Board of Directors. Unfortunately the deal is dead and the opportunity for the club to be owned by a lifelong fan has been lost.
It would also appear that the line the fans have been fed about American investors from current Chairman Mike Martin needs some explanation. After months of mystery and conjecture is it too much to ask for him just to tell us all what is happening?
The DUSF have always been willing to work with any new owners to ensure the future of the club and that remains our position."

10/7/2018 4:28 pm  #25

Swing_kinker wrote:

A lot of folk jumping to conclusions. A business deal fell through, happens a lot. I'd rather wait and see what the crack is before raging

The thing is we probably won't be told why it fell through.

Board footera