Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

31/10/2017 5:08 pm  #1

Paul Sturrock Q+A 7.30-8.30pm TONIGHT!!!

Short notice i know but happy to announce we will be joined by one of Utd's all-time best player's tonight for 1 hour.

Be interesting to find out his take on all things DUFC at this difficult time for the club.

Particulary the vacant Manager's position at Tannadice.

31/10/2017 6:47 pm  #2

Re: Paul Sturrock Q+A 7.30-8.30pm TONIGHT!!!

good of him to do this. 

31/10/2017 8:25 pm  #3

Can I get in early to ask a couple of specific match questions? I've got to go out, and have just noticed this.

Firstly, thanks Paul for doing this.

1. About some of the cup final matches: the 81 Cup Final, we were well blown away in the replay, but in the 0:0 match, we should have been a few goals up at half time. Same scenario in 85 v Celtic, probably we were the far better side in the second half after an even first, until the last 15.

What went wrong in these finals (and a few others, some of which you weren't involved in)?

2. I'm sure you may have covered this in your book (I have a signed copy), but where did the middle name come from?

Thanks.

31/10/2017 8:34 pm  #4

Hi Paul.

Who do you think would be the ideal candidate for the managers job at Tannadice?

31/10/2017 8:38 pm  #5

Evening Luggy,

I hope we find you in good health Sir.

Do you have no interest in the vacant Manager's job at Tannadice yourself?or are you now happily retired?

31/10/2017 8:38 pm  #6

Paul, I remember you once saying that there you felt extra pressure as manager Tannadice because you were an ex-player and close to the club/fans.

Is it a bad idea for an ex-player to manage at his former club?

31/10/2017 8:42 pm  #7

The 81 LC final where you stuck one in the top corner but where John Holt was ruled offside Im still angry about it. Was that the worst refereeing decision you were involved as a utd player.

31/10/2017 8:42 pm  #8

Ive watch these finals over and over and ive come to the conclusion that luck was a key factor. Ref decisions linesmans decision and a draining of confidence from each final was main factors . Whitehead was my grandfathers surname

31/10/2017 8:44 pm  #9

Paul,
Kudos for taking time out to come on here.

1, probably the most asked question.... Stubbs, Hughes or Laszlo. Your opinion please?

2, have you seen united play this season and if so what have you made of our performances?

31/10/2017 8:49 pm  #10

blackandtangerine wrote:

Hi Paul.

Who do you think would be the ideal candidate for the managers job at Tannadice?

Experience the key the new man must have tasted promoting a team first year ,must have a coaching background  have good man management skills.

31/10/2017 8:53 pm  #11

If you could turn back the clock to 1999 is there anything you would have done differently as Utd Manager that age and experience (and hindsight) has taught you?And if so what?

31/10/2017 8:55 pm  #12

Who was the finest player you played with at united and who was the best player you managed?
All the best luggy

31/10/2017 9:00 pm  #13

Good evening Paul in your playing days at united did you feel refs favoured the old firm against us and gave them blatantly cheating decisions ?

31/10/2017 9:00 pm  #14

Hi Paul, thanks for taking the time to be here.

A two pronged  question for you:

Do you think sacking McKinnon was the right move? Additionally, i'm aware you might no have seen United's performances with regularity but as a manager yourself, if you were to be relieved of your duties being only 6 points behind the league leaders would you feel aggrieved?

Thanks!

31/10/2017 9:02 pm  #15

Who was best player you played against in Scotland and in Europe for united?

31/10/2017 9:02 pm  #16

1 which player were you most dissapointed about missing out on as utd manager.

2 Which of your 171 goals for the terrors gave you the most satisfaction

31/10/2017 9:05 pm  #17

Tek wrote:

Evening Luggy,

Do you have no interest in the vacant Manager's job at Tannadice yourself?or are you now happily retired?

I am a fan would help in any way i could if asked

31/10/2017 9:06 pm  #18

Have you ever spoke to Duncan Ferguson since he left united and do you think he regrets the way he acted under jim McLean as I think he could have been a fantastic striker if he had paid attention to Jim McLeans coaching ?

31/10/2017 9:07 pm  #19

Hi Paul,

Great to have you here and taking the time to talk to us.

My question is this;

As a manager how do you deal with letting players go and which avenues were there for them to move onto college, Uni or work outside the game? If none do you feel this is lacking at professional clubs?

Thanks

31/10/2017 9:08 pm  #20

lugmeister wrote:

Tek wrote:

Evening Luggy,

I am a fan would help in any way i could if asked

Just to clarify.

Are you saying you would take the Manager's job or a coaching role if asked?

Till the seasons end?

31/10/2017 9:13 pm  #21

scarpia wrote:

Paul, I remember you once saying that there you felt extra pressure as manager Tannadice because you were an ex-player and close to the club/fans.

Is it a bad idea for an ex-player to manage at his former club?

Yes found being a fan as well as a inexperienced manager difficult to handle defeats with time and gaining experience would have no problem now. Dont think its a bad idea  x players managing  if they have mastered the facets of management

31/10/2017 9:20 pm  #22

Beharder wrote:

The 81 LC final where you stuck one in the top corner but where John Holt was ruled offside Im still angry about it. Was that the worst refereeing decision you were involved as a utd player.

Actually the linesman got it right why holty  was our furthest player up the field playing right back only holty knows lol .Probably my best goal ever when drunk at times i give holty a bell and rib him about the goal.

31/10/2017 9:20 pm  #23

I read in your autobiography that Barcelona were interested in signing you after your (brilliant) performance on the left wing against them in the Nou Camp in '87.

Did this move come at all close to happening or was it just a mere rumour?

31/10/2017 9:30 pm  #24

Drew Peacock wrote:

Paul,
Kudos for taking time out to come on here.

1, probably the most asked question.... Stubbs, Hughes or Laszlo. Your opinion please?

2, have you seen united play this season and if so what have you made of our performances?

1.To give a opinion on these three would be unprofessional of me without seeing them on the training ground and talk football with them. What i will say on there wiki pages it gives you the win ratio they have over 40% wins in your career you can manage 2.Have a website which gives me most united games would say team disjointed due to not knowing each others style of play . Plus dont think system suited the players available  and lastly crying out for a target man.

31/10/2017 9:36 pm  #25

Folks tht's Luggy's hour now up.

​So no more questions please and we will give him time to catch-up and try to answer some of the unanswered questions that are already posted.

​Thanks for taking the time answer our questions Paul.

​Thanks too to Glasgow is Tangerine for his assistance in arranging this.

Board footera