Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22/10/2017 1:05 am  #1

Stephen Thompson you MUST leave for the good of the club

Mr Thompson, you have failed. The club has went from being one of the best in the country in the Levein/Houston era to a laughing stock.

​You initially enjoyed a successful period in the role of Chairman. But if you are really honest with yourself your success (and the clubs success) was entirely because your Father appointed Craig Levein. The fantastic job he done of turning round the mentality of the club and making us competitive from the youth academy to the first team meant that even after his departure Peter Houston was left a very strong squad to work with and a great batch of kids just about to make the breakthrough (Johnny Russell,Scott Allan,Stuart Armstrong,Ryan Gauld etc). This enabled him to carry-on the job of his mentor seamlessly and deliver the tangible success we had been threatening to achieve for the 3 years previous. These foundations were so strong that we were able to move forward over the next 4 years fairly successfully.

In short you got lucky.

​You have subsequently failed our club SPECTACULARY. You in just 2 and a half years have absolutely obliterated the structures put in place by people like Craig Levein, Peter Houston, Stevie Campbell and Ian Cathro.

​You have moved on any bit of talent we have in the squads as quickly as you possibly could.And have now appointed a succession of failed Managers. compounding the failure each time by giving them lengthy contracts.

​The supporters may not be able to do anything about you remaining the majority shareholder, as it would appear there is no-one out there who will meet the value of the shares you feel you should be compensated for.

​But one thing the fans can influence is a complete vote of NO CONFIDENCE in you as Dundee United Chairman.

​You must resign this position with immediate effect in my opinion. As your prescence at the club is (and has long since) brought about a negative and toxic feeling around the club. Even worse some longterm supporters are now so apathetic they have stopped attending games. They barely care anymore. These are guys who have been Utd supporters for many years.

​You appointed a man in David Southern who was being 'groomed' to take over the running of the club at a time when you had designs on emigrating to Australia and owning another football club.

​3 years on this man must now be more than capable of fulfilling your role as Chairman. If he isn't then why is he on the payroll anyway?

​Oh one more piece of advice. No one will pay the price for Utd that you want (mostly due to the club being a Championship side saddled with debt and still running at a weekly loss).

​My advice (which I see as the only viable option) sell your shares for £1 and cut a deal with the new owner that you and your Sister will receive X amount on player sales over a specified time period. It's the best deal you are ever gonna get believe me.

​If you really still have any real affection left for our club then for the love of God just GO.

22/10/2017 1:28 am  #2

Re: Stephen Thompson you MUST leave for the good of the club

agreed

22/10/2017 2:47 am  #3

Depressing read that TEK. Agree with every word.

22/10/2017 7:18 am  #4

He said privately back in February & hinted publically he'd take £1 for the club, problem is no one has tested that to see if he meant it. 

I'm not really into fan ownership, but if there's no one else out there we need to fix it, we should've been putting money together be in a position to make that offer, then appointed a CEO/Chairman to get the club living within its means within 2 years.  The club can't keep losing money the way it is no matter who's in charge.

IMO the poor response to DUSF shows that we as a support aren't prepared to dig into our pockets any further and simply want to wait on the white knight who probably will never appear.

I don't think we'll have a club much longer tbh and we will all have some part of blame in that for not forcing him out sooner, that family have destroyed our club, we have to take it back now if it's going to survive.

22/10/2017 7:52 am  #5

TheShed wrote:

He said privately back in February & hinted publically he'd take £1 for the club, problem is no one has tested that to see if he meant it. 

I'm not really into fan ownership, but if there's no one else out there we need to fix it, we should've been putting money together be in a position to make that offer, then appointed a CEO/Chairman to get the club living within its means within 2 years.  The club can't keep losing money the way it is no matter who's in charge.

IMO the poor response to DUSF shows that we as a support aren't prepared to dig into our pockets any further and simply want to wait on the white knight who probably will never appear.

I don't think we'll have a club much longer tbh and we will all have some part of blame in that for not forcing him out sooner, that family have destroyed our club, we have to take it back now if it's going to survive.

I think its because the foundation contradict themselves that no one is putting money in.

22/10/2017 8:05 am  #6

blackandtangerine wrote:

TheShed wrote:

I think its because the foundation contradict themselves that no one is putting money in.

Possibly to an extent, they've certainly not proved to be the answer, neither have fans united, the 2 of them and the fed should be joining together now to lead the way imo, but it's up to them if they want to do that.

22/10/2017 9:54 am  #7

He at least needs to step down as director / CEO.
Probably would have avoided a lot of the flak if he moved aside and appointed a decision maker with an appropriate background instead of 'teaboy for my millionaire father' on their CV

You would hope that's what the fans groups are pushing for now. I accept it's difficult to sell the club in the current nick but it's easy for a diddy to quit his post as gaffer and also to stop taking money out the club

22/10/2017 10:24 am  #8

Did you send this to Tannadice, Tek?

22/10/2017 11:10 am  #9

saturday at Dumbarton the fans need to give him and the board fucking hell and make it known we are not happy with them.

22/10/2017 11:13 am  #10

TheShed wrote:

I'm not really into fan ownership, but if there's no one else out there we need to fix it, we should've been putting money together be in a position to make that offer, then appointed a CEO/Chairman to get the club living within its means within 2 years. The club can't keep losing money the way it is no matter who's in charge.

​I believe someone had approached him with a view to taking the club over and he wouldn't.

​what he says and does are the massive problem. he also said he is not taking a wage...did we all believe that? 

​on the foundation they need to publicly tell fans now what side of the fence they are on either wanting to be cosy with Thompson and the board like arabtrust or they are wanting change. that is one of the reasons they have only had circa 215 (including founder members) joining them which to me tells its own story.

22/10/2017 11:49 am  #11

Goodie Conway 2 wrote:

Did you send this to Tannadice, Tek?

No need to, believe me.

22/10/2017 12:33 pm  #12

For the record, club legend, Jim McLean was where out financial issues started - we were in the hole for circa 4m then. Eddie took it up to circa 7m. Eddie also made a whole bunch of poor appointments and maybe got lucky with Craig levein. McCall, Chisholm, Brewster???

Also ST hasn't actually done anything wrong (this time) to warrant such a diatribe. Manager gets poor result and board consider his position. That's what we have seen. Whether or not McKinnon manages to keep his job or not is a decision that has to be made and I seem to remember ST got abuse for the letter in the pocket for Jackie McNamara...so maybe he can't win.

I believe McKinnon had to be given this time to have a good shot at it - he got his squad and he got time to put his plans into place. Imo now would be the correct time to let him go.

On the other points, I am not sure but isn't there a big difference between being a good football administrator and a chairman? I have no knowledge of southerns effectiveness but not sure he was ever brought into  be chairperson.

As for ST, it's the same old statements for the 'immediate change gang's and for the 'but what's next gang'

Nobody is coming forward to take it off his hands that we know of. Who in reality wants to sink 4m into a club within a competition which will never make money? Other than the top few clubs in the country, nobody is making any real profit and certainly the owners aren't taking it out. I'd love to see change but I am v scared we land up with the new mad vlad or Giovanni do stefano

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

22/10/2017 12:41 pm  #13

southern was brought in to run the club day to day whilst Thompson was taking a wage from us and one from Newcastle jets whilst stayin over there.
​this didn't quite go to plan... not the only plan that went to pot.. remember the 5 year he invented?

22/10/2017 12:44 pm  #14

The debt under McLean was forced debt because of the Taylor report, the board at that time had no choice but to rebuild the stadium.  The wonderful businessman ET made all the promises he would fix it quickly, he didn't he made it worse because he was hopeless at running a football club, his son is the same.

22/10/2017 12:48 pm  #15

There was a fait bit of murmuring around me at the game yesterday esp. at half-time about some American buyers being interested. (acquaintances of Mike Martin ? ) From what I was hearing the rumour mill comes from Angry Arab pussjotter. Anybody say anything about this.

22/10/2017 1:39 pm  #16

TheShed wrote:

The debt under McLean was forced debt because of the Taylor report, the board at that time had no choice but to rebuild the stadium.  The wonderful businessman ET made all the promises he would fix it quickly, he didn't he made it worse because he was hopeless at running a football club, his son is the same.

No it wasn't. The stadium redevelopment was entirely paid for up front through player sales. The £4 million debt was entirely run up by Paul Sturrock in his disastrous tenure as manager on utter shite like Alex Mathie 500k, Danny Griffin 400k Scott McCulloch 300k etc etc. Luggy played absolutely brutal long ball football at Utd and at every club he managed and tried to spend his way out of trouble at us. IMHO this club has been fucked ever since his tenure.

Too much commotion

22/10/2017 1:51 pm  #17

lifesanocean wrote:

TheShed wrote:

No it wasn't. The stadium redevelopment was entirely paid for up front through player sales. The £4 million debt was entirely run up by Paul Sturrock in his disastrous tenure as manager on utter shite like Alex Mathie 500k, Danny Griffin 400k Scott McCulloch 300k etc etc. Luggy played absolutely brutal long ball football at Utd and at every club he managed and tried to spend his way out of trouble at us. IMHO this club has been fucked ever since his tenure.

Would we have sold all those players to pay for the stadium if we didn't have to, that's what led to the overspending on shite trying to recover on the park.  Fact is if we weren't forced into building those stands the debt would've been minimal.

Fact is also ET was full of promises to get folk onside then he immediately backed away from them once he was in, his family have made a mess of things ever since, only a small period of time when Levein was dictating what happened has it been run ok.

22/10/2017 2:22 pm  #18

blackandtangerine wrote:

TheShed wrote:

I'm not really into fan ownership, but if there's no one else out there we need to fix it, we should've been putting money together be in a position to make that offer, then appointed a CEO/Chairman to get the club living within its means within 2 years. The club can't keep losing money the way it is no matter who's in charge.

I have signed up for the Foundation because I know the guys on the steering group, and I know they are trying to do things properly by trying to get answers from the Baldy Snake as to the plans he has in the immediate term for the club,( although I'm sure dialogue is open for any of the United supports groups to try and answer any concerns they may have before asking their members to commit).

As far as I'm aware, any money that the foundation accrues would not go to United without serious strings attached, and would certainly not be to bail out Thompson, nor to buy the club . The steering group are as stunned as the rest of us at the state of the club - please don't be shy - SPEAK to them and I'm sure they will open and honest with you.    
I spoke to a couple of them after the Morton game and they were a bit confused as to the slow take up, and would love communication from individuals or groups.
I didn't go to the game yesterday as I'm so scunnered so didn't get the chance of catching up with them.
The Foundation Model worked for Hearts (that new stand at Swinecastle is partially funded by the Foundation for  Hearts) and is in place at Motherwell as well.
Its time for everybody with United at heart to stop bickering and being suspicious and have a council of war.
Its that serious.

As for Southern, I can only assume he holds the key to the cupboard that contains the skeletons.
I cant for the life of me imagine how else he is still in place.     
As for the Snake - I want him to resign with IMMEDIATE effect from the board, as he is not a fit and proper person......but OMG who will be the Caretaker?

Last edited by Fidel_Castro (22/10/2017 2:27 pm)

Anderlecht Veteran

22/10/2017 2:59 pm  #19

Speaking personally I couldn't afford another £12 per month on something Utd related (Foundation membership). I pay £33 a month on mine and my young lads season tickets and £5 a month on Arabzone. You then add in the cost of strips, his Young Arabs membership, ArabTrust membership (I know). All of this before you buy a pie at the game, a 50/50 and a pint before and after games, never mind the cost of the odd away game. I probably spend about £60 a month on Utd currently and I just can't justify any more money on Utd I'm afraid, especially given how shite the whole thing is at the moment and given that the Foundation have no say in the club just now. It might be different if they were involved as a fan ownership/part ownership.

Last edited by lifesanocean (22/10/2017 3:16 pm)

Too much commotion

22/10/2017 3:47 pm  #20

Fidel_Castro wrote:

blackandtangerine wrote:

TheShed wrote:

I have signed up for the Foundation because I know the guys on the steering group, and I know they are trying to do things properly by trying to get answers from the Baldy Snake as to the plans he has in the immediate term for the club,( although I'm sure dialogue is open for any of the United supports groups to try and answer any concerns they may have before asking their members to commit).

As far as I'm aware, any money that the foundation accrues would not go to United without serious strings attached, and would certainly not be to bail out Thompson, nor to buy the club . The steering group are as stunned as the rest of us at the state of the club - please don't be shy - SPEAK to them and I'm sure they will open and honest with you.    
I spoke to a couple of them after the Morton game and they were a bit confused as to the slow take up, and would love communication from individuals or groups.
I didn't go to the game yesterday as I'm so scunnered so didn't get the chance of catching up with them.
The Foundation Model worked for Hearts (that new stand at Swinecastle is partially funded by the Foundation for  Hearts) and is in place at Motherwell as well.
Its time for everybody with United at heart to stop bickering and being suspicious and have a council of war.
Its that serious.

As for Southern, I can only assume he holds the key to the cupboard that contains the skeletons.
As for the Snake - I want him to resign with IMMEDIATE effect from the board, as he is not a fit and proper person......but OMG who will be the Caretaker?

Ive had conversations with one individual.  If hes involved theres no chance im putting cash into it.

22/10/2017 5:13 pm  #21

Fidel_Castro wrote:

blackandtangerine wrote:

TheShed wrote:

Its that serious.

​like I said in an earlier post re the numbers.. they have only themselves to blame for the poor numbers.
​you cant say 1 thing at the start to try and get numbers then move the goalposts and not publicly come out and tell the fan base what side of the fence they are on. 
​a foundation CAN be a good thing for us imo but I'm not seeing this one taking off any time soon 

Last edited by bowers (22/10/2017 5:13 pm)

22/10/2017 5:29 pm  #22

bowers wrote:

Fidel_Castro wrote:

blackandtangerine wrote:

Its that serious.

​like I said in an earlier post re the numbers.. they have only themselves to blame for the poor numbers.
​you cant say 1 thing at the start to try and get numbers then move the goalposts and not publicly come out and tell the fan base what side of the fence they are on. 
​a foundation CAN be a good thing for us imo but I'm not seeing this one taking off any time soon 

Have you tried contacting them about these concerns? I don't have any doubt that the proposal is a good one, but its up to you to have your doubts resolved and I cant criticise you for that at all. I will drop one of the SG a message and see if they can put up any updates/clarification on the message boards (with TEKs permission of course)
I have to agree its a bit quiet at the moment, when we need action on all fronts. We all have United at heart, and that's a fact.

Anderlecht Veteran

22/10/2017 5:35 pm  #23

That is no problem at all Fidel.

22/10/2017 5:43 pm  #24

Fidel_Castro wrote:

bowers wrote:

Fidel_Castro wrote:

Its that serious.

Have you tried contacting them about these concerns? I don't have any doubt that the proposal is a good one, but its up to you to have your doubts resolved and I cant criticise you for that at all. I will drop one of the SG a message and see if they can put up any updates/clarification on the message boards (with TEKs permission of course)
I have to agree its a bit quiet at the moment, when we need action on all fronts. We all have United at heart, and that's a fact.

​several times on fb posts.
​when they post as individuals it seems that they don't want the money to go to the club whilst Thompson is still in charge but wont as a foundation come out and make it public that is what they want.

​them wanting 2 seats on the utd board was kept very quiet until a few weeks ago also.

​there is a thread on here a few weeks back about the foundation regular updates on places like this should be given

Last edited by bowers (22/10/2017 5:44 pm)

22/10/2017 6:34 pm  #25

lifesanocean wrote:

Speaking personally I couldn't afford another £12 per month on something Utd related (Foundation membership). I pay £33 a month on mine and my young lads season tickets and £5 a month on Arabzone. You then add in the cost of strips, his Young Arabs membership, ArabTrust membership (I know). All of this before you buy a pie at the game, a 50/50 and a pint before and after games, never mind the cost of the odd away game. I probably spend about £60 a month on Utd currently and I just can't justify any more money on Utd I'm afraid, especially given how shite the whole thing is at the moment and given that the Foundation have no say in the club just now. It might be different if they were involved as a fan ownership/part ownership.

Would never have s go at anyone personally for not signing up, but I was disappointed at how few did, there's def more could afford it. I can see why folk didn't tho with the possibility of it going to ST.

Board footera