Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

16/10/2017 11:18 pm  #1

Favourite foreign teams and why

I've had a few for different reasons from a young age to now that I liked or appreciated for different reasons.

What were/are yours and why?

17/10/2017 11:18 am  #2

Re: Favourite foreign teams and why

I follow a few in the various leagues, in Spain Valencia, Italy Juventus, but I'm most interested in Fortuna Dusseldorf, presently in the second tier in Germany but leading the table, and Bohemians Prague, mid table in the Czech Republic.

Bohemians isn't even because we played them: it's due to Panenka and his penalty in 1976 to win the Euros, as he played for Bohemians at the time (and is now the present club president). Then he played for Rapid against us in 84. Eventually, I got to their ground a few years ago, and have kept an eye on them more so since. They've had an up and down history, and are probably now a 'new club', re-founded in 2005.

Reason for following Fortuna is more simple: I went to a game, got hooked on the sausages and beer, plus the cheap entrance price and enthusiasm of the support, so have looked out for their results ever since.

17/10/2017 11:25 am  #3

Interesting choices Pat & good reasons.
But sorry Arabnophobia, I don't have a favourite European team apart from Dundee United when we used to be on that stage.
No room in my heart for any team other than Dundee United.

17/10/2017 4:35 pm  #4

smedDUm wrote:

Interesting choices Pat & good reasons.
But sorry Arabnophobia, I don't have a favourite European team apart from Dundee United when we used to be on that stage.
No room in my heart for any team other than Dundee United.

Have you never liked or appreciated any other team ever?

Wouldn't say the following teams have a place in my heart either but the memories of beating some of them do but here we go...

As a bairn I used to buy souvenirs, mainly teams we'd beaten in Europe and sew their badges onto to my flag that I took to European games. 

Liked that we had good times against them, like a scalp.

Best maltese scalp/favoured team would be Hamrun Spartans as Hamrun was 1st ever European Cup match for us.

Most favoured German scalp - Borussia Mönchengladbach on the magnitude of the matches we came through and how we did it.

French - Monaco

Spanish - Barca

Swiss - Grasshoppers

Belgian - maybe Anderlecht over Standard Liege, Lokeren or Genk

Austrian - Rapid Vienna

Northern Ireland - Glentoran

These stand out for me and if they are on the telly i'd prefere them to win unless the were playing a wee team as I love to see underdogs get a big result.

I chose Lecce as an Italian team in 1985 watching them in a Maltese bar, just picked them over other team as I liked their colours more.
They got promoted that season but they finished bottom and were relegated, but defeated Roma 3–2 away in the penultimate game to deal a fatal blow to Roma's title hopes therefore stay my number 1 Italian side....

https://youtu.be/RPVvkPds5Ag

Only team I like not related to a Utd reason is Boca Juniors, mainly due to the fans/support/stadium & a bit due to Maradona being a hero as a bairn.

17/10/2017 6:26 pm  #5

Juventus and Lazio. Seen juve a few times over the years. Not been to their new stadium yet but thats next on my list after the Genoa derby and Inter v Torino matches that im going to beginning of November.
Lazio i like cos i hate Roma.

Also have a wee soft spot for Leeds.

17/10/2017 7:50 pm  #6

Like to see Barca do well because of their association with DUFC.

And my wee boy is daft about them.

17/10/2017 8:39 pm  #7

Tek wrote:

Its not really an association though is it? Yeah weve beat them 4 times but do you think they give two fucks about us?
 I class them the same as dundee.......oor bitches!!

17/10/2017 9:16 pm  #8

blackandtangerine wrote:

Tek wrote:

Its not really an association though is it? Yeah weve beat them 4 times but do you think they give two fucks about us?

You know what i mean.

Association...history...whatever it should be deemed.

17/10/2017 9:56 pm  #9

Tek wrote:

blackandtangerine wrote:

Tek wrote:

You know what i mean.

But we have history with dozens of clubs do you wish them well too??

😉

17/10/2017 10:11 pm  #10

blackandtangerine wrote:

Tek wrote:

blackandtangerine wrote:

You know what i mean.

😉

No but the history with Barcelona is special wouldn't you agree?

Plus as i say my wee boy is daft on them so i like to see them do well for him.

17/10/2017 11:20 pm  #11

Tek wrote:

blackandtangerine wrote:

Tek wrote:

You know what i mean.

😉

No but the history with Barcelona is special wouldn't you agree?

Plus as i say my wee boy is daft on them so i like to see them do well for him.

Ach im just pulling yer leg. Ye can like who ye like. Disnae bother me

18/10/2017 11:11 am  #12

blackandtangerine wrote:

Juventus and Lazio. Seen juve a few times over the years. Not been to their new stadium yet but thats next on my list after the Genoa derby and Inter v Torino matches that im going to beginning of November.

Are you counting Leeds as 'foreign' b&t? 

If so, Leeds are another team I follow, and I'm just minding, I think I saw you at the ManU/Leeds cup game way back the year United won the cup (2010). Were you at that game?

18/10/2017 12:37 pm  #13

PatReilly wrote:

blackandtangerine wrote:

If so, Leeds are another team I follow, and I'm just minding, I think I saw you at the ManU/Leeds cup game way back the year United won the cup (2010). Were you at that game?

No not foreign. Yorkshire is gods country 😉

I was. Sitting in the home end. Beckford scored and my wife just turned round and gave me that " dont you dare celebrate" stare. She was about 5 rows in front of me. Tbf i did get a few stares at halftime when i collected my beckford first goal winning coupon 😉
Saw ian brown in same concourse at half time but fuck getting my photo wie a manc.

18/10/2017 5:41 pm  #14

blackandtangerine wrote:

PatReilly wrote:

blackandtangerine wrote:

I was. Sitting in the home end. Beckford scored and my wife just turned round and gave me that " dont you dare celebrate" stare. She was about 5 rows in front of me. Tbf i did get a few stares at halftime when i collected my beckford first goal winning coupon 😉
Saw ian brown in same concourse at half time but fuck getting my photo wie a manc.

I was in the home end too, there were a load of Leeds fans reacting when Beckford scored. Was there with ManU fans, they had to keep me quiet as the game went on and the booze took more effect.

18/10/2017 7:43 pm  #15

blackandtangerine wrote:

Genoa derby, the ‘Derby of the Lantern’ looks worth a visit, looks like a good choice...

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/flags-our-fathers-why-genoa-vs-sampdoria-more-game

Edit to say, who do you want to win?

Last edited by Arabnophobia (18/10/2017 7:58 pm)

18/10/2017 8:07 pm  #16

Arabnophobia wrote:

blackandtangerine wrote:

Genoa derby, the ‘Derby of the Lantern’ looks worth a visit, looks like a good choice...

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/flags-our-fathers-why-genoa-vs-sampdoria-more-game

Not really fussed who wins but i suppose since i'll be in with sampdoria fans it would be better if they won.
Its a busy trip. Fly into bergamo then train to genoa. Stay overnight there then early train to milan for inter game (1230 ko) then flight hame at night.
Done the milan derby the other year. That was decent.

18/10/2017 8:09 pm  #17

PatReilly wrote:

blackandtangerine wrote:

PatReilly wrote:

I was in the home end too, there were a load of Leeds fans reacting when Beckford scored. Was there with ManU fans, they had to keep me quiet as the game went on and the booze took more effect.

Haha. Was icy as fuck outside. Enjoyed that day out

18/10/2017 8:35 pm  #18

blackandtangerine wrote:

Arabnophobia wrote:

blackandtangerine wrote:

Not really fussed who wins but i suppose since i'll be in with sampdoria fans it would be better if they won.
Its a busy trip. Fly into bergamo then train to genoa. Stay overnight there then early train to milan for inter game (1230 ko) then flight hame at night.

You must be in the so called away end then? It will be fkn nuts.

Some swarming sea of flags 1min 20 secs in...

https://youtu.be/rnG2y6BRjAQ

Better get practicing yer “Genoa, Genoa, vaffanculo”

18/10/2017 11:10 pm  #19

I like to watch Barca on the telly, but no more than that.

I look out for Feneyoord's results as my Uncle is a big fan and he was on their books as a youth before being forced to give up through injury.

Last edited by David_Blunket (18/10/2017 11:13 pm)

"Don't F*cking ever offer me that again!"

18/10/2017 11:45 pm  #20

David_Blunket wrote:

I like to watch Barca on the telly, but no more than that.

I look out for Feneyoord's results as my Uncle is a big fan and he was on their books as a youth before being forced to give up through injury.

I've even tried to get onto feeling something for Barca but feel nothing really.

Only thing they do for me is give a good reply for my bairns when ridiculed at school for being Arabs by kids especially not from Glasgow that support Celtic about United being shite.

Easy to pick a team more successful than yer ain or home town team.

Also quite funny to think  their 1st ever google search on Utd made them spew when the wee fkrs found that yer wee Arab telt them the truth.

21/10/2017 11:53 am  #21

Both Bohemians Prague and Fortuna won last night: it's a sign, surely, for today!

02/11/2017 3:35 am  #22

Not a follower as such but would like to see one of the Liverpool teams win the league again. Love the city and the people.
Saying that the last five years I ve went off the English prem. Too much money involved for a increasingly less exciting product

02/11/2017 11:59 pm  #23

Boca (ma wee team)playing River away on Sunday night in the Superclasico.

Found a no bad wee deal...

Something no right. Should I glaiketly punch in my card details?

Like the advise too...

FAQ - is it safe? Aye, safe as fuck so bring yer burd tae... then...

07/11/2017 2:45 am  #24

Arabnophobia wrote:

blackandtangerine wrote:

Arabnophobia wrote:

Looks like you might have enjoyed that...

https://youtu.be/2vUxHTD2R5g

07/11/2017 9:44 am  #25

Arabnophobia wrote:

Arabnophobia wrote:

blackandtangerine wrote:

Looks like you might have enjoyed that...

https://youtu.be/2vUxHTD2R5g

I certainly did. Some trip. Derby by far the better of the two games but Inter game was decent tae tbf. Great atmosphere at the samp game. Was right in with their ultras who were brilliant with us. Afterwards on the streets and in the bars was brilliant.

After the inter game we kinda got lost trying to find the metro station lol. Walking round in circles in the pissing rain. Enough was enough. Went into a bar to ask them to phone a taxi and got introduced to inter legend and world cup winner for italy guiseppe bergomi. He was class. Not every day you meet a world cup winner lol

Board footera