Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

16/10/2017 10:57 am  #1

Tam Scobbie

Where is he?

Done his groin in early August.

Now halfway through October.

16/10/2017 11:02 am  #2

Re: Tam Scobbie

The risk of signing players with bad injury records.

16/10/2017 11:40 am  #3

In 6 seasons with Falkirk & 5 with St Johnstone he's averaged 30 starts a season.
And with St Johnstone he's maybe averaged 10 subbie spots a season.
Hardly a bad injury record.
But if you want to drag him down, carry on.

16/10/2017 1:20 pm  #4

smedDUm wrote:

In 6 seasons with Falkirk & 5 with St Johnstone he's averaged 30 starts a season.

I don't want to drag any United player down, smeDUm.  But Tam has a bad injury record, over the last three seasons. These injuries wouldn't affect how many games he managed in his teens or early twenties, I'm sure you'd concede.

He missed around about four months last season. He has twice suffered ligament injuries and missed long periods of previous recent seasons. Your statistics are wrong too, but they don't really matter, it's his recent injury issues I'm highlighting. It doesn't matter if he was fit ten years ago, we've signed him for now.

I hope he gets over this latest setback, and goes on to be a success at Tannadice.

16/10/2017 1:26 pm  #5

Tek wrote:

Where is he?

Done his groin in early August.

Now halfway through October.

TEK do you not read the news? McKinnon spoke at length about Scobbie (and Quinn) last week at the presser.

Scobbie was back training but hurt his calf so sat out again for another couple of weeks. He's back training now but McKinnon says no-one will be rushed back like at the start of the season eg Keatings etc. McKinnon said he was arranging a couple of bounce games for them (including this week I think). He's been out so long I'd imagine him and Quinn will get a mini pre-season before being considered for the first team.  You can't just have an injury heal then immediately be fit enough to go straight back into the first team. Ever tried going back to the gym after a bout of illness or injury? You are breathing through your arse for the first couple of weeks and feel weak as anything. 

'Done his groin' also doesn't do his injury justice. The muscle was torn right off the bone apparently. I'm surprised he's actually back training. I'm sure the inital prognosis was he'd not be back until November. It was hardly down to his injury record either. More like being stood on by a 6ft 4' Canadian hammer thower.

Last edited by lifesanocean (16/10/2017 2:07 pm)

Too much commotion

16/10/2017 2:10 pm  #6

PatReilly wrote:

smedDUm wrote:

I don't want to drag any United player down, smeDUm.  But Tam has a bad injury record, over the last three seasons. These injuries wouldn't affect how many games he managed in his teens or early twenties, I'm sure you'd concede.

He missed around about four months last season. He has twice suffered ligament injuries and missed long periods of previous recent seasons. Your statistics are wrong too, but they don't really matter, it's his recent injury issues I'm highlighting. It doesn't matter if he was fit ten years ago, we've signed him for now.

I hope he gets over this latest setback, and goes on to be a success at Tannadice.

I'll have to assume your knowledge of his recent medical history is correct Pat & I take your point but he's still on the right side of 30 so it's not like he's falling apart yet
As far as dodgy stats are concerned Wicki has him playing an average of just under 29 games a season over 11 seasons & I imagine he'll have been a benchman (so not injured) 6 - 12 times a season as well. So 400-plus availabilities out of 450-plus games does not shout 'bad injury record' to me.

16/10/2017 3:29 pm  #7

smedDUm wrote:

PatReilly wrote:

smedDUm wrote:

I'll have to assume your knowledge of his recent medical history is correct Pat & I take your point but he's still on the right side of 30 so it's not like he's falling apart yet
As far as dodgy stats are concerned Wicki has him playing an average of just under 29 games a season over 11 seasons & I imagine he'll have been a benchman (so not injured) 6 - 12 times a season as well. So 400-plus availabilities out of 450-plus games does not shout 'bad injury record' to me.

You're blethering shite, he's averaged 21 league games a season throughout his career, and only managed 16 last season, that does suggest he's injury prone, which is something that was spoken about both in the media and by St. J fans when he signed, and was hinted at as the main reason he was offered reduced terms at St. Johnstone.

Here's his injury record. https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/tam-scobbie/verletzungen/spieler/39710

16/10/2017 3:56 pm  #8

JerryDungle wrote:

smedDUm wrote:

PatReilly wrote:

You're blethering shite, he's averaged 21 league games a season throughout his career, and only managed 16 last season, that does suggest he's injury prone, which is something that was spoken about both in the media and by St. J fans when he signed, and was hinted at as the main reason he was offered reduced terms at St. Johnstone.

Here's his injury record. https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/tam-scobbie/verletzungen/spieler/39710

That's a handy site right enough.
Anyway I'm glad Wicki agrees with Transfer Mrket, 307 games in 11 seasons  = 28 games a season so you're blethering shite with your 21 games a season.

16/10/2017 4:14 pm  #9

smedDUm wrote:

JerryDungle wrote:

smedDUm wrote:

Anyway I'm glad Wicki agrees with Transfer Mrket, 307 games in 11 seasons  = 28 games a season so you're blethering shite with your 21 games a season.

That's 261 league games over 12, not 11 seasons, giving you 21.75 games per season, with no indication as to how many of those were as a starter. Hardly a first team regular, is he? And if his small number of performances in a tangerine shirt are anything to go by, it's not difficult to see why.

It's quite an achievement to look like the worst player on the park that contains both The Funsters and the sorry crop of players we have amassed at the moment.

Last edited by JerryDungle (16/10/2017 4:15 pm)

16/10/2017 4:42 pm  #10

JerryDungle wrote:

smedDUm wrote:

JerryDungle wrote:

That's 261 league games over 12, not 11 seasons, giving you 21.75 games per season, with no indication as to how many of those were as a starter. Hardly a first team regular, is he? And if his small number of performances in a tangerine shirt are anything to go by, it's not difficult to see why.

It's quite an achievement to look like the worst player on the park that contains both The Funsters and the sorry crop of players we have amassed at the moment.

Do cup games not count? His appearances record looks worse when you only count league games, is that where you're going? Add on 47 Sc Cup, Lge Cup, Euro games (11 btw) & you get 27.90 games per season prior to coming to us. And if you do want to count this season then wait til the end when he will have played more than 28 games. Your injury history record has him missing 54 games in 11 seasons prior to coming to us. That's being injured on average 5 times a season tho by my same previous equation that figure will rise slightly. Fair enough? And you say he's hardly a 1st team regular. That's not the argument, it's his injury record & I'm only trying to justifiably defend it. Worst player on the park v the Fun?? Debatable. Don't you want him to be any good or something and if so, why?

16/10/2017 5:10 pm  #11

He was on the park for 1333 minutes last season, that's less than 15 games in total time (with a game lasting 90 minutes, of course). 

I've stated I want him to do well at United, but the plain fact is he has missed a lot of potential game time in recent seasons due to injury. 

However, my worry is that we have signed quite a few who have been unfortunate with fitness issues.

16/10/2017 5:26 pm  #12

smedDUm wrote:

Do cup games not count? His appearances record looks worse when you only count league games, is that where you're going? Add on 47 Sc Cup, Lge Cup, Euro games (11 btw) & you get 27.90 games per season prior to coming to us. And if you do want to count this season then wait til the end when he will have played more than 28 games. Your injury history record has him missing 54 games in 11 seasons prior to coming to us. That's being injured on average 5 times a season tho by my same previous equation that figure will rise slightly. Fair enough? And you say he's hardly a 1st team regular. That's not the argument, it's his injury record & I'm only trying to justifiably defend it. Worst player on the park v the Fun?? Debatable. Don't you want him to be any good or something and if so, why?

It's nothing to do with not wanting him to be good, but he wasn't good in any of the games he played in prior to getting injured. The boy Deacon, who by all accounts has been very poor for The Fun this season, ripped the absolute piss out of him at left back in the first game, thank god he had to go off in the second game, cause the exact same was happening again, Robson looked like Roberto Carlos in comparison.

I was fine with us signing him on the assumption that he was gonna provide competition to Durnan and Edjenguele at Centre-Half, but it took all of about 5 minutes for everyone bar you to see that the boy's no a left back in a million years. He looks like he's towing a caravan when he runs, The Pundit knew this, so he targeted him, and every other manager in the league will do the same to disastrous effect.

Raymond needed to get the full back positions right this summer, and he got them badly, badly wrong, and it looks like it's gonna cost us big style.

16/10/2017 11:32 pm  #13

lifesanocean wrote:

TEK do you not read the news? 

Nope.

Ain't bought a paper in years.

17/10/2017 8:12 am  #14

Tek wrote:

lifesanocean wrote:

Nope.

Are you aware that the Courier and Tully, like most media outlets, do an online edition which you can access using the world wide web? Whilst not great, for an exiled Arab running a Utd forum,  they can be useful sources of information about what's going on at Tannadice, who's coming back from injury etc.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-united/523319/dundee-united-boss-ray-mckinnon-receives-double-defensive-boost-duo-return-training/

Too much commotion

17/10/2017 9:26 am  #15

lifesanocean wrote:

Tek wrote:

lifesanocean wrote:

Nope.

Are you aware that the Courier and Tully, like most media outlets, do an online edition which you can access using the world wide web? Whilst not great, for an exiled Arab running a Utd forum,  they can be useful sources of information about what's going on at Tannadice, who's coming back from injury etc.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-united/523319/dundee-united-boss-ray-mckinnon-receives-double-defensive-boost-duo-return-training/

Fuck the courier and the tully. Infact fuck all newspapers and their online editions.

Just saying.

17/10/2017 10:26 am  #16

Post # 12 says our opponents will be targeting Tam 'to diasastrous effect'.

Anyway...he was signed primarily as a left back and possible cover for central defence.
Deacon is a bit of a player & is giving PL left backs a job.
Scobbie will come back into the side & will improve the back four, don't write him off on the evidence of a game and a half.

17/10/2017 12:23 pm  #17

blackandtangerine wrote:

lifesanocean wrote:

Tek wrote:

Nope.

Are you aware that the Courier and Tully, like most media outlets, do an online edition which you can access using the world wide web? Whilst not great, for an exiled Arab running a Utd forum, they can be useful sources of information about what's going on at Tannadice, who's coming back from injury etc.

Fuck the courier and the tully. Infact fuck all newspapers and their online editions.

Just saying.

What B+T said.

Toe the party-line.

Btw LAO i wouldn't have started a thread asking when he's back if i already knew the answer.

17/10/2017 1:04 pm  #18

Fuck mckinnon aswell as the media.

19/10/2017 9:51 am  #19

Tek wrote:

blackandtangerine wrote:

lifesanocean wrote:

Are you aware that the Courier and Tully, like most media outlets, do an online edition which you can access using the world wide web? Whilst not great, for an exiled Arab running a Utd forum, they can be useful sources of information about what's going on at Tannadice, who's coming back from injury etc.

Just saying.

What B+T said.

Toe the party-line.

Btw LAO i wouldn't have started a thread asking when he's back if i already knew the answer.

Seems strange to me that you will quote and link to The Sun but not our local papers. They may not be the best for scoops or investigative journalism but they tend to be pretty factual in their reporting.

19/10/2017 10:56 am  #20

Goodie Conway 2 wrote:

Tek wrote:

blackandtangerine wrote:

Just saying.

What B+T said.

Toe the party-line.

Seems strange to me that you will quote and link to The Sun but not our local papers. They may not be the best for scoops or investigative journalism but they tend to be pretty factual in their reporting.

Eh?

I have put links to Courier and Telegragh articles several times on here.

i don't go out of my way to read them (or any other paper).That's the difference.

If i see something interesting on my Twitter timeline i share it on here.Regardless of where it's from.

p.s. their 'factual reporting' 90% of it comes directly from Twitter or Forums like this.

19/10/2017 11:52 am  #21

I was referring to injury update type things which are reported from official press conferences

19/10/2017 12:28 pm  #22

Goodie Conway 2 wrote:

Tek wrote:

blackandtangerine wrote:

Just saying.

What B+T said.

Toe the party-line.

Factual in reporting you say. Hmmmmm

19/10/2017 1:35 pm  #23

blackandtangerine wrote:

Goodie Conway 2 wrote:

Tek wrote:

What B+T said.

Toe the party-line.

Factual in reporting you say. Hmmmmm

Generally speaking yes, when it comes to United. In my opinion

19/10/2017 1:47 pm  #24

I think most clubs are economical with the truth re injury comebacks cos if you get it wrong you'll be for it.
Better to err on the lengthy side so that anything quicker is a bonus.

19/10/2017 5:04 pm  #25

Goodie Conway 2 wrote:

I was referring to injury update type things which are reported from official press conferences

If you mean arabzone pressers i no longer have it.

not sure what other official pressers we publish.

Board footera