Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/8/2017 12:10 pm  #1

1001 albums you must hear before you die

I got this tome from my eldest,I know these things are arbitrary by nature but I'm goin to listen to 1 album a day until it's finished ( god willing)
it spans from 1955-2005  and  I know that quite a few people on here like their music, so if TEK doesn't mind I can post them in book order, people can  listen to the album and pass comment if they like, and who knows we might find something we didn't know we liked

DAY 1.
  (1955)
Seemingly one of the first 12" albums, I didn't know they used to be 10"
also one of the first concept albums, being all ballads.

Last edited by arabchanter (10/9/2019 10:19 pm)

I don't know a lot, but I know what I like!

10/8/2017 3:32 pm  #2

Re: 1001 albums you must hear before you die

Smashing idea AC 👍

I will try to listen to the albums when i get a chance.

10/8/2017 9:15 pm  #3

I enjoy many types of music, but am not really a jazz based ballad fan.

However, this is a great idea arabchanter, so I'll look in here regularly. BTW, I've got some 10" records in the loft, think they are 78rpm. Though eventually they made them at 33 and a third.

11/8/2017 6:51 am  #4

Tek wrote:

Smashing idea AC 👍

I will try to listen to the albums when i get a chance.

Cheers Tek.

11/8/2017 7:03 am  #5

PatReilly wrote:

I enjoy many types of music, but am not really a jazz based ballad fan.

However, this is a great idea arabchanter, so I'll look in here regularly. BTW, I've got some 10" records in the loft, think they are 78rpm. Though eventually they made them at 33 and a third.

Thanks Pat,  I've had a quick flick through the book and there's quite a few strange albums in there, but I'm going to give them all a listen, never know I might get a surprise!
Btw I think my old man has some old 78's in his loft but I think they have seen better days (very brittle) never thought about them being 10"

11/8/2017 8:12 am  #6

DAY 2.

Elvis Presley (1956)

lvis Presley's first LP, 
Also the album cover may look familiar?
The design was borrowed for the sleeve of a superb album in 1979?     
Anyone?

Last edited by arabchanter (10/9/2019 10:21 pm)

11/8/2017 10:30 am  #7

Great thread chanter!

11/8/2017 12:13 pm  #8

SlatefordArab wrote:

Great thread chanter!

Thanks SA, hoping to broaden my horizons I've had a sneaky flick through and there are some really bizarre albums in there, but as the old saying goes "If you dont listen you can't learn"
It's done chronologically so the more familiar stuff will come later, unless you're like me and are of a certain vintage 

11/8/2017 12:52 pm  #9

arabchanter wrote:

DAY 2.

Elvis Presley (1956)

Elvis Presley's first LP, 
Anyone?

Prefer the one Paul Simonon's smashing his bass.

11/8/2017 5:28 pm  #10

arabchanter wrote:

DAY 2.

Elvis Presley (1956)

Anyone?

Great album: full of songs Elvis covered, but then Elvis didn't actually write (m)any songs did he? However, many of these songs on this album were even more 'covered' down the years.

Great and influential guitarist on the album, Scotty Moore, died around this time last year.

11/8/2017 9:34 pm  #11

arabchanter wrote:

[/img]

I got this tome from my eldest,I know these things are arbitrary by nature but I'm goin to listen to 1 album a day until it's finished ( god willing)
it spans from 1955-2005  and  I know that quite a few people on here like their music, so if TEK doesn't mind I can post them in book order, people can  listen to the album and pass comment if they like, and who knows we might find something we didn't know we liked

DAY 1.

(1955)

Seemingly one of the first 12" albums, I didn't know they used to be 10"
also one of the first concept albums, being all ballads.

Not really a ballad man but quite enjoyed this, Sinatra had seemingly just split up with Ava Gardner so if he sounds downbeat who can blame him, overall good album but a bit too much break up/heartbreak to play very often.

Last edited by arabchanter (10/9/2019 10:39 pm)

11/8/2017 9:37 pm  #12

Tek wrote:

arabchanter wrote:

DAY 2.

Elvis Presley (1956)

Anyone?

Prefer the one Paul Simonon's smashing his bass.

Correct, London Calling

Last edited by arabchanter (10/9/2019 10:41 pm)

11/8/2017 9:54 pm  #13

arabchanter wrote:

DAY 2.
Elvis Presley (1956)

Anyone?

Although pretty raw production wise, which is to be expected given the time, I thought that added to the album , seemingly it was pieced together from several sessions and 5 of the tracks had been virtual leftovers from Sun Records who Elvis had a contract with before RCA bought it out.
All in all a really good album, and probably just what I needed after Franks melancholy but enjoyable album yesterday.

Last edited by arabchanter (10/9/2019 10:42 pm)

12/8/2017 8:36 pm  #14

DAY 3
The Louvin Brothers
Tragic Songs Of Life (1956)

A Gospel/C&W album, well in for a penny!
Never heard of them so cut and pasted a little bit about them
The Louvin Brothers, Ira and Charlie, formed one of the finest duos in country music, offering superb close harmony vocals that often displayed their gospel roots.The Louvin Brothers' music has proved to be highly influential over the past forty years. The Everly Brothers were clearly influenced by the duo, while country-rock pioneer Gram Parsons drew heavily from their deep catalogue of classic songs. More recently, it has been Emmylou Harris, Linda Ronstadt, Dolly Parton, BR5-49, and several of the alternative country acts all reviving their songs or borrowing heavily from their distinctive style.The Louvin Brothers defined the now classic sound of two-part country harmony singing.

Last edited by arabchanter (10/9/2019 10:44 pm)

13/8/2017 6:54 pm  #15

arabchanter wrote:

DAY 3
The Louvin Brothers
Tragic Songs Of Life (1956)

A Gospel/C&W album, well in for a penny!
Never heard of them so cut and pasted a little bit about them
The Louvin Brothers, Ira and Charlie, formed one of the finest duos in country music, offering superb close harmony vocals that often displayed their gospel roots.The Louvin Brothers' music has proved to be highly influential over the past forty years. The Everly Brothers were clearly influenced by the duo, while country-rock pioneer Gram Parsons drew heavily from their deep catalogue of classic songs. More recently, it has been Emmylou Harris, Linda Ronstadt, Dolly Parton, BR5-49, and several of the alternative country acts all reviving their songs or borrowing heavily from their distinctive style.The Louvin Brothers defined the now classic sound of two-part country harmony singing.

No' really fir me not a great C&W fan, a couple of tracks I noticed my old toes tapping at,  but wont be putting this in my record collection!

Last edited by arabchanter (10/9/2019 10:45 pm)

13/8/2017 7:13 pm  #16

DAY 4
Louis Prima (1956)

A popular singer/trumpeter
same again copy and paste
A tireless showman and an underrated musical talent, Louis Prima swung his way to icon status thanks to an irresistible, infectious sound whose appeal translated across generations. Disney tapped Prima to voice the character of King Louie, ruler of the orangutans, in its animated adaptation of The Jungle Book; his featured number, the swinging "I Wanna Be Like You," ranks among the best-loved Disney songs of its era.Prima's music began to reappear in subsequent years; ex-Van Halen singer David Lee Roth scored the best-remembered hit of his solo career with a carbon-copy version of "Just a Gigolo/I Ain't Got Nobody" in 1985, and onetime Stray Cat Brian Setzer scored a Grammy-winning hit with his cover of "Jump, Jive an' Wail." Prima's original version was featured in a Gap commercial around the same time, and the swing-dancing fad of the time helped bring the rest of his music back into the public eye

Last edited by arabchanter (10/9/2019 10:46 pm)

14/8/2017 9:02 am  #17

Great cover, but I'm not a C&W fan. Plus, I've never heard of them!

However, Louis Prima I have heard of, and enjoy that sort of music when pished.

That Jungle Book song wasn't on this album, was it?

14/8/2017 2:20 pm  #18

DAY 4
Louis Prima...................The Wildest

(1956)

Wow, this certainly surprised me enjoyed every track and it sounds like they really enjoyed themselves making it, if you put Louis Armstrong and Dean Martin together thats to me how he sounds imho, I would recommend this album as it has a sort of happy feel about it, will deffo be putting this in my record collection!

Sorry Pat Jungle Book not on it, but really worth a listen

Last edited by arabchanter (10/9/2019 10:48 pm)

14/8/2017 11:59 pm  #19

DAY 5

•  
  • This is Fats (1956)
  • The most popular exponent of the classic New Orleans R&B sound, Fats Domino sold more records than any other black rock & roll star of the 1950s. His relaxed, lolling boogie-woogie piano style and easygoing, warm vocals anchored a long series of national hits from the mid-'50s to the early '60s. Through it all, his basic approach rarely changed. He may not have been one of early rock's most charismatic, innovative, or threatening figures, but he was certainly one of its most consistent.Domino didn't cross over into the pop charts in a big way until 1955, when "Ain't That a Shame" made the Top Ten. Pat Boone's cover of the song stole some of Fats' thunder, going all the way to number one (Boone was also bowdlerizing Little Richard's early singles for pop hits during this time). Domino's long-range prospects weren't damaged, however; between 1955 and 1963, he racked up an astonishing 35 Top 40 singles. "Blueberry Hill" (1956) was probably his best (and best-remembered) single; "Walking to New Orleans," "Whole Lotta Loving," "I'm Walking," "Blue Monday," and "I'm in Love Again" were also huge successes.

15/8/2017 10:02 am  #20

arabchanter wrote:

DAY 5

•  
  • This is Fats (1956)
  • The most popular exponent of the classic New Orleans R&B sound, Fats Domino sold more records than any other black rock & roll star of the 1950s. His relaxed, lolling boogie-woogie piano style and easygoing, warm vocals anchored a long series of national hits from the mid-'50s to the early '60s. Through it all, his basic approach rarely changed. He may not have been one of early rock's most charismatic, innovative, or threatening figures, but he was certainly one of its most consistent.Domino didn't cross over into the pop charts in a big way until 1955, when "Ain't That a Shame" made the Top Ten. Pat Boone's cover of the song stole some of Fats' thunder, going all the way to number one (Boone was also bowdlerizing Little Richard's early singles for pop hits during this time). Domino's long-range prospects weren't damaged, however; between 1955 and 1963, he racked up an astonishing 35 Top 40 singles. "Blueberry Hill" (1956) was probably his best (and best-remembered) single; "Walking to New Orleans," "Whole Lotta Loving," "I'm Walking," "Blue Monday," and "I'm in Love Again" were also huge successes.

Found it hard to get a download of this, eventually listened to it on you tube
I found it easy to listen to and probably ok for background music, but can't see me adding this to my library.

15/8/2017 10:37 am  #21

Day 6
[url=https://musicians.allaboutjazz.com/the-complete-live-at-newport-1956-duke-ellington]Duke Ellington At Newport (1956)

Not holding out much hope with this one, jazz is one of my least favourite genres[/url]

Last edited by arabchanter (15/8/2017 10:40 am)

15/8/2017 11:01 am  #22

I like Fats Domino, but not so much the Fat Black Duke.

However, Ellington must have been a popular guy, his band stayed loyally the same for around 50 years without changes of personnel, apart from through death.

Fats Domino was the true King of RnR, according to Elvis. 

15/8/2017 11:31 pm  #23

arabchanter wrote:

Day 6
[url=https://musicians.allaboutjazz.com/the-complete-live-at-newport-1956-duke-ellington]Duke Ellington At Newport (1956)

Not holding out much hope with this one, jazz is one of my least favourite genres[/url]

The album lasts 40:20,  I lasted 5:11, I really don't get jazz , is it hip to like jazz?
Duke you were maybe a great guy but I can't see what's good about jazz.
This album wont be coming anywhere near my house!

Last edited by arabchanter (15/8/2017 11:31 pm)

16/8/2017 10:37 am  #24

DAY 7.
songs for swingin' lovers!  (1956)

[list=1]
[*]"You Make Me Feel So Young" (Josef Myrow, Mack Gordon) - 2:57
[*]"It Happened in Monterey" (Mabel Wayne, Billy Rose) - 2:36
[*]"You're Getting to Be a Habit with Me" (Harry Warren, Al Dubin) - 2:19
[*]"You Brought a New Kind of Love to Me" (Sammy Fain, Irving Kahal, Pierre Norman) - 2:48
[*]"Too Marvelous for Words" (Richard A. Whiting, Johnny Mercer) - 2:29
[*]"Old Devil Moon" (Burton Lane, E.Y. Harburg) - 3:56
[*]"Pennies from Heaven" (Arthur Johnston, Johnny Burke) - 2:44
[*]"Love Is Here to Stay" (George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin) - 2:42
[*]"I've Got You Under My Skin" (Cole Porter) - 3:43
[*]"I Thought About You" (Jimmy Van Heusen, Mercer) - 2:30
[*]"We'll Be Together Again" (Carl T. Fischer, Frankie Laine) - 4:26
[*]"Makin' Whoopee" (Walter Donaldson, Gus Kahn) - 3:06
[*]"Swingin' Down the Lane" (Isham Jones, Kahn) - 2:54
[*]"Anything Goes" (Porter) - 2:43
[*]"How About You?" (Lane, Ralph Freed) - 2:45
[/list]

Looking forward to this one after The Duke yesterday, looking at the track list it's Frank at his finest!

16/8/2017 11:49 pm  #25

DAY 7.
songs for swingin' lovers!  (1956)
[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Songsforswinginlovers.jpg]

This will be added to my collection, Sinatra as the suave, debonair, laid back crooner we all remember him as.
But it would all be wasted without Riddle's glorious scoring. Legend has it his unsurpassable arrangement for "I've Got You Under My Skin,"  hurriedly completed the night before the session, was greeted with spontaneous applause by the musicians who played it on January 12, 1956.

[/url]

Last edited by arabchanter (16/8/2017 11:55 pm)

Board footera