Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/6/2015 5:22 pm  #1

Ian Cathro

has left his role over in spain.

More than likely rangers manager very soon?

11/6/2015 5:24 pm  #2

Re: Ian Cathro

Twitter seems to reckon it'll be Sevco or Liverpool coach.

He'd be aff his head to go to the basket case club

Yeah yeah Industrial Estate

11/6/2015 6:15 pm  #3

Folk maybe reading to much into it.

Apparently he has a family member who is ill and he decided to move back home for that reason.

Watch this space i guess.

12/6/2015 10:13 am  #4

Back in his native Dundee, maybe nothing to with Rangers but the bookies have slashed his odds just in case. Personally i think he is too forward thinking for a backward organisation like that though and he would be like a goat waiting on his initiation after his 1st defeat in the bear pit.

Would welcome him back at Tannadice though with open arms if we could.

Last edited by St Obswell (12/6/2015 10:15 am)

Hear their shout, hear their roar
They've probably had a barrel of ale and much, much more
Hooray, hooray, hooray, yeah
Over the hill went the swords of a thousand men

15/6/2015 4:59 pm  #5

From a selfish point of view I'm glad to hear he wasn't involved in today's announcement at Goatskull Amusement Arcade. Maybe one day he'll get his opportunity at Tannadice without me sounding like i want anyone currently there removed to make way for him. Hopefully the reason he has returned home for isn't a grave one and i for one wish him all the best going forward 

Hear their shout, hear their roar
They've probably had a barrel of ale and much, much more
Hooray, hooray, hooray, yeah
Over the hill went the swords of a thousand men

16/6/2015 1:55 pm  #6

He wont be out o a job for long.

22/6/2015 11:13 pm  #7

I see he's been rumoured to go to Newcastle United as part of Steve McLaren's backroom staff.

25/6/2015 4:55 pm  #8

Saying on SSN it's confirmed now.  You're good TEK 

27/6/2015 3:23 am  #9

What a very impressive young man he is.This is from a few months back on SSN

Guillem Balague's little anecdote about him at the end is very telling.Andre Villas Boas seen him as a coach with immense potential.

27/6/2015 3:40 am  #10

Great article here from Valencia's official club website.

Has a small (but great) quote from John Souttar's Dad (Jock) in it about Cathro.

Of the initial 50 boys who signed up for his coaching school in Dundee (Master the ball,Master the Game),12 went on to sign professional contracts...incredible ratio.

http://en.valenciacf.com/ver/39065/ian-cathro-profile-interview-with-the-times.html

Last edited by Tek (27/6/2015 3:40 am)

27/6/2015 3:43 am  #11

Reminds me so much of Levein,same bullish but very determined tone.

Have followed his career post-United with interest and believe he will be a very good Manager at some point.

29/6/2015 4:38 pm  #12

Tek. Not much of a claim to fame or claiming that I know too much about him and how much he has developed, but I coached at United with him between 2003 and 2005.

I was doing a bit of community coaching whilst at Abertay studying Sports Coaching. He was only about 17/18 (I was 21) at the time and already a very impressive guy. Had his football school "Cathro's Clinic" up and running and renting half the pitch at Gussie with sponsorship from Adidas and all sorts. Clearly had his head screwed on and knew the direction he was heading. The kind of guy who deserves what success comes his way as he was committed and putting in the hard work (while I was trying to shake a hangover from the Mardi or Fat Sams).

No doubt he will see Steve McLaren as a great guy to learn from. Don't think there are many coaches considered better on the training field than McLaren. It'll be interesting to see where his career takes him. Doubt we will see him coaching in Scotland for a long time.

30/6/2015 1:31 am  #13

Zippy wrote:

Tek. Not much of a claim to fame or claiming that I know too much about him and how much he has developed, but I coached at United with him between 2003 and 2005.

I was doing a bit of community coaching whilst at Abertay studying Sports Coaching. He was only about 17/18 (I was 21) at the time and already a very impressive guy. Had his football school "Cathro's Clinic" up and running and renting half the pitch at Gussie with sponsorship from Adidas and all sorts. Clearly had his head screwed on and knew the direction he was heading. The kind of guy who deserves what success comes his way as he was committed and putting in the hard work (while I was trying to shake a hangover from the Mardi or Fat Sams).

No doubt he will see Steve McLaren as a great guy to learn from. Don't think there are many coaches considered better on the training field than McLaren. It'll be interesting to see where his career takes him. Doubt we will see him coaching in Scotland for a long time.

Brilliant anecdote Zippy.

I had no idea that Cathro had coached at Utd as far back as then,i always thought Levein brought him into the fold.

Tells you everything you need to know about the guy that he was coaching at 17 beh christ.Very very impressive.

What became of your coaching if you don't mind me asking?

30/6/2015 11:02 am  #14

Indeed.

I gained a PGDE in Physical Education and I'm now Head of P.E. at an International School in Malaysia. Been teaching abroad for 6 years now. Off to Abu Dhabi in August.

My other claim to fame is that I taught Andrew Robertson when in Glasgow. 

05/12/2016 1:29 am  #15

Looking likely that he will be Hearts new Manager.

Re-united with Levein.

05/12/2016 9:56 pm  #16

Confirmed now.

Utd fan and fellow Scotsman Austin MacPhee tipped to be his assistant coach.

05/12/2016 10:08 pm  #17

I think he will do a great job at Hearts

06/12/2016 11:18 am  #18

That will be Gauldy signing on at Tyncastle in January then!

Brave move by Hearts, did anybody hear Jamie Fullarton on Radio Scotland last week?  He ripped Cathro up for arse paper, saying he doesn't coach any of the players and only analyses the opposition, had a right go at his personality too.  Tom English then shut him right up by saying a contact he has at Newcastle text him to say Cathro is involved on a daily basis with the first team.

I hope Cathro goes on to to prove all the dinosaurs involved in our game wrong.

Last edited by SlatefordArab (06/12/2016 11:18 am)

06/12/2016 1:12 pm  #19

A mate of mine knows him from his time at United. Said he's an arsehole. Doesn't make him a bad coach though

06/12/2016 1:16 pm  #20

Michael Stewart on Sportscene also alluded to the fact he might not have the requisite 'personality' to man-manage players.

Seems he is the victim of a wee bit of a whispering campaign by the old boys network purely because he never played and has done things his way.

It's like the time i left Mad to start this place 😉

P.s. hope Cathro does well and would have liked him at Tannadice (though Mckinnon is slowly winning me round).

06/12/2016 2:47 pm  #21

Aye I've heard a few folks saying he has a difficult personality to get on with, that doesn't mean he can't be a good manager though.  

06/12/2016 3:41 pm  #22

Goodie Conway 2 wrote:

A mate of mine knows him from his time at United. Said he's an arsehole. Doesn't make him a bad coach though

Most good Managers are.

06/12/2016 4:24 pm  #23

Tek wrote:

Goodie Conway 2 wrote:

Most good Managers are.

Could be an interesting relationship with CL.  It's rumoured he can adopt intractable stances.

A' hes eggs are double yoakit!

06/12/2016 4:30 pm  #24

Tek wrote:

It's like the time i left Mad to start this place 😉

What a good move that was!!!

A' hes eggs are double yoakit!

06/12/2016 5:32 pm  #25

Joe Rice on Twitter - "Full range of opinions on Ian Cathro as a Manager. One thing is for sure- he won't be giving a shit what any of them think."

Board footera